Doing Weights

Remove this Banner Ad

But one thing i am very certain of: There is a very big difference between size and strength. If you were stuck in the middle of an alley way with an angry Kostya Zu (63kgs) at one end and an angry (and younger) Arnold Schwarzenegger (95-100 kgs) at the other and you had to get past one of them to escape, which would you choose? I know who i reckon would be the more functionally stronger out of the 2...
This has to seriously be one of the dumbest things I have ever read or seen in my life. Ever.

Arnold would be ten times more functionally stronger than Tszyu (and yes, it helps if you spell his name correctly). You are equating weight to training methods, which baffles me.

:eek::eek::eek:

say whats the consensus on protein shakes? athletes only? or can a regular joe use them to effect?
They can be used to great effect by anyone, but are NO replacement for natural proteins found in steak, eggs, milk, etc. Most bodybuilders use them in two ways- firstly, after a weight training session along with some high GI carbs because the body needs these things, and need them fast, so a liquid protein shake can be helpful. Second, just before you go to bed, mixed in with some milk and during the night (if you wake up). Protein is really the only thing your body should be taken in late at night- consuming excess calories will just get turned to fat.

They are handy, but are by no means necessary.

Every meal should have 30g protein so if you don't have your protein from a natural source, throw in some whey.

You should eat every 3 hours.... never skip meals.

Every meal should also contain good fats as well except pre and post workout.

Carbs are also fine to eat before sleeping, as long as they are in your daily allowance. i usually stick to casein protein + natural peanut butter though and skim milk if i havn't consumed enough calories during the day.

Carbs are also fine to eat before sleeping, as long as they are in your daily allowance. i usually stick to casein protein + natural peanut butter though and skim milk if i havn't consumed enough calories during the day.
The bulk of your carbs should be eaten during your first four meals of the day, and should be phased out toward the end of the day. No point in loading up on carbs just because you have missed out earlier in the day to make up your "daily allowance"- remember the main reason for carbs is as a source of energy- you use less of that energy while you sleep, therefore you dont need nearly as many carbs.

Dont go nuts trying to limit them, but your intake of carbs late at night should be low- focus on protein, a few scoops of whey protein mixed in with some milk (casein) will keep your body repairing through the night:thumbsu:

The bulk of your carbs should be eaten during your first four meals of the day, and should be phased out toward the end of the day. No point in loading up on carbs just because you have missed out earlier in the day to make up your "daily allowance"- remember the main reason for carbs is as a source of energy- you use less of that energy while you sleep, therefore you dont need nearly as many carbs.

Dont go nuts trying to limit them, but your intake of carbs late at night should be low- focus on protein, a few scoops of whey protein mixed in with some milk (casein) will keep your body repairing through the night:thumbsu:

Yeah, a lot of people have that theory but i try and hit my macros pretty spot on when dieting. if i plan to eat 250g carbs during the day and 2700 cals, then i will make sure i eat those 250g of carbs. ideally, you want your meals to be larger the earlier on in the day it is, but i try keep all my meals 40/40/20 in ratio other than my pre-bed shake.

if i am bulking, i throw extra carbs in everywhere.

I'm no obsessive bodybuilder, just your average Joe and have brought 12.5 KG dumbells to train with. I use them to curl, upright row, press, etc and do 3 x 8-12 sets.

The first week my muscles absolutley killed me and I coulden't even jog as my man boobs bounced around. I'm 6ft 1 and 94 Kg and am trying to combine weights and cardio to lose weight. I was 108 kg 3 months back.

Its tough finding time when you work fulltime...But this is my routine and I find I have made good gains.

Day 1: Chest (4 Different exercises (3 sets of 12))
Triceps (2 Difference exercises (3 sets of 12))

Day 2: Back (4 Different exercsies (3 sets of 12))
Biceps (2 Differente exerciese (3 sets of 12))

Day 3: Shoulders (4 Different exercises (3 sets of 12)
Legs (3 Different exercsies (3 sets of 12)

20 minute interval training cardio each of the days.

4 days a week rest

I go to a good gym so there is enough machines , free weights and cables etc to keep things different and constantly shocking the body.

Currently 5'8 and 82kg...Reasonably lean with good bulk. (I still like my take away and drinking)

If i got down to 75kg...I would look cut and very good...Though I wont be quitting the drinking anytime soon so that wont be happening.

Good thread. Thanks especially to Carlos for providing tonnes of good info. Just a couple of questions.

I've got a mate that is just starting out with protein powder and reckons we should go halves in a tub to use over the next couple of months. Is it any good and can anyone recommend a good one? I want to lose a little fat and just improve core, shoulder and back strength to look good and to help with football.

The second question relates to inteval training. I've heard alot about it but can anyone give me an example. From what I've heard its just running at sprint then recover rather than steady stay so would I just sprint 20 seconds, jog 40 and repeat it??

(Log in to remove this ad.)

www.proteindirect.com.au is a pretty good source. I know there is no flavour etc etc, but damn is it cheap, mixes well, and does the job.
Thye are okay, but pretty shoddy busnesspeople, trust me. Let's just say they spend a lot more time promoting themselves than actually running thier business properly or bothering with their existing customers.........

Thye are okay, but pretty shoddy busnesspeople, trust me. Let's just say they spend a lot more time promoting themselves than actually running thier business properly or bothering with their existing customers.........

How so? I am just interested to know as each time I've sent my payment 2 or 3 days later I get a knock on the door and there is my 3kg of Whey Powder for only $50, and that's usually all I care about but if you've had bad experiences what are they?

this is what we do in our school gym class,
get our 5rm (5 rep max)
and do 6 reps, 1 level lower then your 5rm, 3 times

we are doing this for 6 weeks, im going to be huge!!!!!

I'm 20 yrs old and around 5'10 and in the last 2 months I've gone from 85 to just over 74kg simply from changing my diet, staying off the booze and WORKING HARD. I am aiming to do an olympic tri this summer and ride some crits once i get better on my bike, and also hope to get down to around 72kg, or to the point where body fat is no longer noticeable.

My typical week involves:
3-5 sessions of 1500-1700m swimming laps in the pool
2-3 Weights sessions 1-1.5 hrs
2-4 runs, between 5-10km and differing intensities, from LSD to interval training.
I have also just purchased a road bike, Giant TCR1 aluminium but it'll do the job for my first bike and will hopefully be riding 150-300km per week once I get the rest of my gear.

I'm also eating much healthier, making sure I get a good breakfast, heaps of fruit and veggies and have cut out junk food.
I cant believe how much my outlook on life has improved since I've started training and also how much better I feel about life and also about myself. Can't recommend it highly enough. I suppose I am also lucky that I have so much time to train... uni life is an easy one :D

I'm 20 yrs old and around 5'10 and in the last 2 months I've gone from 85 to just over 74kg simply from changing my diet, staying off the booze and WORKING HARD. I am aiming to do an olympic tri this summer and ride some crits once i get better on my bike, and also hope to get down to around 72kg, or to the point where body fat is no longer noticeable.

My typical week involves:
3-5 sessions of 1500-1700m swimming laps in the pool
2-3 Weights sessions 1-1.5 hrs
2-4 runs, between 5-10km and differing intensities, from LSD to interval training.
I have also just purchased a road bike, Giant TCR1 aluminium but it'll do the job for my first bike and will hopefully be riding 150-300km per week once I get the rest of my gear.

I'm also eating much healthier, making sure I get a good breakfast, heaps of fruit and veggies and have cut out junk food.
I cant believe how much my outlook on life has improved since I've started training and also how much better I feel about life and also about myself. Can't recommend it highly enough. I suppose I am also lucky that I have so much time to train... uni life is an easy one :D

I admire your willpower. I can do the exercise no problem...just hard for me to eliminate junk from my diet completely :D

this is what we do in our school gym class,
get our 5rm (5 rep max)
and do 6 reps, 1 level lower then your 5rm, 3 times

we are doing this for 3 weeks, im going to be huge!!!!!

Not in 3 weeks you won't...

And what does "1 level lower then your 5rm" mean?

it means you get the maximum you can lift 5 times and go down one weight lower
like say you can lift 120 on a chest press, you go down to 110 or 100

Oh I see.
If you can press 120kg's for 5 reps and you're still in school I'm very impressed. When I was in high school i needed a mate to spot me benching 50kg's :D

Anyone got any advice for me?
Im about 6'3" and 80sih kilos and just started, doing about 40 squats per day at 15 kilos since my family has a history of back problems so im not going to rush going onto heavier weights on that
Bench pressing im doing about 20 kilos, around 100-200 a day for the past few days, find i try to bulk it up to 30 to do about 50 but im just too tired to do so

any hints on how to take short cuts to beef up faster? anything i should know about squats/the recommended times you should do them per day/ should i rest for 1-2 days per week?

Mate, i'm a personal trainer, and without being a cocky jerk, a mighty fine one:thumbsu::D

If you want any advice just PM me and I will help you out.

Firstly the figures I train my clients to are these

Max Strength/Power: 1-6 reps RM, 5-7 mins rest between sets
Strength: 6-10 reps RM, 2-3 mins rest
Hypertophy: 8-15 reps RM, 45-90 secs rest
Muscle endurance/tone: 15+ reps, under 30 secs rest

If you're looking to gain size, look at hypertrophy figures. RM mean rep maximum, so if your target is 12 reps, you have to be buggered by the 12th rep.

Train your muscle groups 3 times per week as you're a beginner. Train your large muscle groups with 4-6 sets per workout, and your small muscle groups for 2-3 sets per workout.

Always do your multi-joint exercises first, and then your isolation exercises.

PM me if you want some good advice whether it be about meals, weights, anything:thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Doing Weights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back