Doing Weights

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm 15 and I've been doing weights for about 6 months at home (with a home gym system, some dumbells and a squat bar) and had 3 sessions per week, training each muscle group just once a week. I've had a few injuries from footy so from about July onwards I haven't really been in any solid routine.

But now that I've got time over the off season I've joined a gym and been put on a program that is very different to what I was doing at home. It is the same set of excersizes every session (3-4 times per week) and is pretty basic. I was wondering what people think of it and if there are any changes I should make. Keep in mind that the first couple of months are really just to build up a strength base and I expect the program to change quite a bit.

This is the same for every session. 10 reps (15 for sit ups) and 3 sets of everything.
Machine bench press (75 pounds)
Seated rows (90 pounds)
Leg press (165 pounds)
Tricep pulldowns (80 pounds)
Bicep curl (30 pounds)
Sit ups

Also, I play in the ruck so I would especially like any advice on excersizes that would help with my vertical leap.

I'm 15 and I've been doing weights for about 6 months at home (with a home gym system, some dumbells and a squat bar) and had 3 sessions per week, training each muscle group just once a week. I've had a few injuries from footy so from about July onwards I haven't really been in any solid routine.

But now that I've got time over the off season I've joined a gym and been put on a program that is very different to what I was doing at home. It is the same set of excersizes every session (3-4 times per week) and is pretty basic. I was wondering what people think of it and if there are any changes I should make. Keep in mind that the first couple of months are really just to build up a strength base and I expect the program to change quite a bit.

This is the same for every session. 10 reps (15 for sit ups) and 3 sets of everything.
Seated rows (90 pounds)
Leg press (165 pounds)
Bicep curl (30 pounds)
Sit ups

Also, I play in the ruck so I would especially like any advice on excersizes that would help with my vertical leap.
Strong fella! At 15, some of those poundanges are pretty healthy looking!.

Your propgram looks good. A couple of tips:
1: I'm assuming those bicep curls are with Dumbells. I'd advise starting off with Barbell Bicep curls- you should be able to shift at least 60-70 pounds, but as I'll say, concentrate on the heaviest weight you can lift using perfect form.

2. If this is a program you have been given, go with it. But I personally think that the T-Bar row is a better beginning exercise for the back, but if you feel comfortable with seated rows, do it!

2. Drop the sit ups. I personally think they are a terrible exercise for developing abdominal strength, as many people focus on how many they can do, and not the qualtiy of the individual sit up. I'd advise doing these (sorry, crap page, only one I could find): http://exercise.about.com/gi/dynami...//www.acefitness.org/images/captainschair.jpg

3. CONCENTRATE ON FORM! It cannot be said enough that early on, you are best off disregarding weight and concentrating on moving the weight. Feel the muscle working, go slow if need be, dont swing the weights.

But remember, I am no personal trainer, just someone who has a few years experience training, so dont take my word for it. Good luck with your training.:)

Seated rows (90 pounds)
Leg press (165 pounds)
Bicep curl (30 pounds)
Sit ups

Yikes buddy, I'm the same age and nowhere near as strong as that, good on you;)

Try bike riding as well, helps tone your thighs and buttucks well and helps with core fitness too.

Strong fella! At 15, some of those poundanges are pretty healthy looking!.

Even though I've only just joined a gym, I'm a long, long way ahead of where I was at the start of the year. Even though my program at home wasn't great, I still made a lot of progress in terms of building up basic strength.

Your propgram looks good. A couple of tips:
1: I'm assuming those bicep curls are with Dumbells. I'd advise starting off with Barbell Bicep curls- you should be able to shift at least 60-70 pounds, but as I'll say, concentrate on the heaviest weight you can lift using perfect form.

Bicep curls are with a barbell and on this thing bodybuilderfitness.com/library/Powerline_Preacher_Curl_Bench_PPB32X.jpg. I wouldn't have a chance of lifting 60 pounds. The bicep curls are probably the most challenging excersize for me too.

2. If this is a program you have been given, go with it. But I personally think that the T-Bar row is a better beginning exercise for the back, but if you feel comfortable with seated rows, do it!

I'm actually a bit worried about the seated rows. The footy injury I mentioned before was a badly dislocated rib (very painful injury that kept me out of footy for 3 weeks and weights for over two months, and has reoccured a couple of times playing squash) and rows really put pressure on the area in my back where I think there might be some scar tissue.

So for now I'm happy to stick with simple seated rows.

2. Drop the sit ups. I personally think they are a terrible exercise for developing abdominal strength, as many people focus on how many they can do, and not the qualtiy of the individual sit up. I'd advise doing these (sorry, crap page, only one I could find):

Eventually I think I will drop the situps and start doing those, but that is also something that would put a heap of pressure on the back of my rib cage, so I'm going to take it pretty easy in that area for a while.

3. CONCENTRATE ON FORM! It cannot be said enough that early on, you are best off disregarding weight and concentrating on moving the weight. Feel the muscle working, go slow if need be, dont swing the weights.

Absolutely. Even though I've only been to the gym a few times I find it hilarious watching people come in and start straight away with the bicep curls with way too much weight on and then proceed to squirm around, grunting and using any means neccessary to lift the weight.

But remember, I am no personal trainer, just someone who has a few years experience training, so dont take my word for it. Good luck with your training.:)

Thanks mate.

Well i'm 20 now, and pretty unfit and not particularly strong. I work alot, go out alot and i am pretty lazy. Makes it hard to work out.

I want to get fitter and more lean (i am kinda skinny but not at all lean or trim) but also want to build muscle size and tone. I've started running and doing more exercise but i have been told that any cardio work i do will probably negate much of the effect of the weights? Where is the truth to this?

Do i have to trade off between being getting fit and lean through cardio and building muscle?

I have a bench press and dumbells at home that i don't actually use but will probably start soon. Is it really worth me paying $60 a month to use a gym when i can run for free and use those weights for free? Does the gym really give you that much extra?

Well i'm 20 now, and pretty unfit and not particularly strong. I work alot, go out alot and i am pretty lazy. Makes it hard to work out.

I want to get fitter and more lean (i am kinda skinny but not at all lean or trim) but also want to build muscle size and tone. I've started running and doing more exercise but i have been told that any cardio work i do will probably negate much of the effect of the weights? Where is the truth to this?

Do i have to trade off between being getting fit and lean through cardio and building muscle?

I have a bench press and dumbells at home that i don't actually use but will probably start soon. Is it really worth me paying $60 a month to use a gym when i can run for free and use those weights for free? Does the gym really give you that much extra?
If you are dedicated and commited, agym will certainly help you get the best out of yourself. For beginners they can be useful as you can generally get a program suited to you individually. Later on down the track they give you flexibilty and variety with what you are doing. You do however, have to weigh that up against the prospect that you might not stick with it, in which case its exactly the same as pissing your money down the plughole.

My advice would be to do what mad-saint-guy up there has done. Start at home for around a month or so- take it easy and see how you feel atthe end of the month. If it goes well, give it another month. If that goes well, you would be well advised to join a gym.

As for the cardio, I am of the opinion that one to two moderate sessions a week is fine, but if you are bulking (training purely for muscle mass) that should be the limit. If you watch your fat and simple carb intake you shouldnt have any problems with gaining fat- a little is to be expected. You will get nice and fit through lifting weights anyway- the one to two cardio sessions are mainly to increase metabolism and keep your lung capacity in check. It will in fact help your bulking as your body can cart more oxygen around to the muscles as you train.

Hey I've been hitting a gym regularly for about 6 weeks, i'm on a beginning program and generally eat 4 times a day (as told to, this includes all the good protein foods) I get re assessed and weighed again after 8 weeks, i don't look at all stronger, but i am lifting everything bigger than when i started, except one thing

Biceps:mad: Is it common for a certain muscle to grow at a different rate or act different to others, I started on 20kgs barbell and am still struggling away on 20kgs barbell not sure whats going on :mad:

Also how long should it take for me to see results on all muscles

cheers

Hey I've been hitting a gym regularly for about 6 weeks, i'm on a beginning program and generally eat 4 times a day (as told to, this includes all the good protein foods) I get re assessed and weighed again after 8 weeks, i don't look at all stronger, but i am lifting everything bigger than when i started, except one thing

Biceps:mad: Is it common for a certain muscle to grow at a different rate or act different to others, I started on 20kgs barbell and am still struggling away on 20kgs barbell not sure whats going on :mad:

Also how long should it take for me to see results on all muscles

cheers

Genetics mean some body parts will progress better than others.
If you're not progressing at all, and you've only just started, there's a few things I'd suggest:

1) You're not really pushing yourself. Lifting weights is meant to be hard, its meant to be tiring. If you're just going through the motions you'll never improve.
2) Maybe the weight is too heavy and you're cheating in your movement? Try lowering the weight, doing 12-15 reps and concentrate on correct form.
3) If you have a gym partner, get him to 'spot' you and do some forced reps. If not, try drop down sets to really hit the muscles.
4) Change to a different bicep exercise. I remember when I first did 21's I was stuck on the same weight for 4 weeks, so I gave up on them. I've recently tried them again and am lifting considerably more.

Try switching to dumbells. If you are doing the same exercise for 6 weeks and it isnt working, change it! I also find doing drop sets helps as well (doing the normal weight for a set then immediately doing a few reps with a slighty lighter weight). But as a beginner I'd suggest just changing the exercise. Just change it up.

And yeah, genetics play a major role. I have a nothing chest naturally- its only through pushing myself over a number of years that it has been able to develop. You just need to persist with different things- 6 weeks isnt that long in terms of bodybuilding.

This will be my weights program for the next 5 weeks.

I'll be working on building a bit of muscle but primarily strength. After the 5 weeks, from 17-Dec to 18-Jan, I'll take a week off and then get into maximal strength and power from the 28th Jan which will feature lower reps for the main compound exercises such as squats, deadlifts, bench press, push presses, and also, introduction of power cleans, jump squats, speed pushups, etc.

Lower Body
Back Squat 3*4-6
Romanian Deadlift 2*4-6
Lateral Lunge 2*4-6
One-leg B/W Squat 2*failure
SB Crunch 2*max

Upper Body - Pull
B/W Pullup 30 reps (usually 2 sets)
Barbell Row 2*4-6
V-bar Pulldown 1*4-6
Db Shrug (prep for Cleans) 2*4-6
Bar Curl 2*4-6

Upper Body - Push
Push Press 3*4-6
Db Incline Press 2*4-6
B/W Dip 30 reps (usually 2 sets)
Close-grip Press 2*4-6

generally, 2 min SR.

And here's the conditioning side of it. I havent run for a couple of weeks, but im moving away from the endurance runs ive been doing (primarily continuous runs with hills, and fartleks) and moving more into the shorter interval and repetitive stuff. After the 6 weeks, i'll move into short high intensity sprints.

17-Dec Wk 1
Intervals 400m*4 2min RR 1600
Spec End (100m*5)*2 60sec turn; 3min SR 1000

24-Dec Wk 2
Intervals 400m*5 2min RR 2000
Spec End (100m*6)*2 60sec turn; 3min SR 1200

31-Dec Wk 3
Intervals (400m*3)*2 2min RR; 6min SR 2400
Spec End (100m*8)*2 60sec turn; 3min SR 1600

7-Jan Wk 4
Intervals (400m*4)*2 2min RR; 6min SR 3200
Spec End (100m*10)*2 60sec turn; 3min SR 2000

14-Jan Wk 5
Intervals (400m*4)*2 2min RR; 6min SR 3200
Spec End (100m*10)*2 60sec turn; 3min SR 2000

21-Jan Wk 6
Off

and this is the split
Mon Strength - Lower
Tues Conditioning - Intervals
Wed Strength - Upper-Pull
Thu Conditioning - Short Reps
Fri Strength - Upper-Push
Sat Jump Rope
Sun Off

Jumping Rope is so under rated these days......everyone has been baffled by the bullshit of treadmills, stairmaster, spinning, etc, and are completely unaware of the benefits from the use of this simple $10 piece of equip. Not only does it give a great cardio workout, but it also helps with speed, power and agility for sport.

[YOUTUBE]lVkYjp4mqnc[/YOUTUBE]

Note: this is not a bodybuilding program. its a program primarily designed for the preparation and of sport.

Whoever said shrugs are useless is wrong. Heavy dumbell shrugs are the best upper trap builder along with heavy deads. If you get no results from them, try seated dumbell shrugs, they are alot harder. Upright rows are ok but they are notorious for destroying shoulder joints. I've heard cable face pulls are great for traps, never tried them though. WSM and powerlifting competitors have all sorts of weird and esoteric excercises for building traps.

Anybody who trains for size should always include forearms. I do them on back day, after deads and rows. 3 sets reverse curls, 9 sets rope/bar,3 sets wrist curls and then i can't open and shut my hands for about 20 minutes afterwards :) There are a few genetic freaks around who have mass forearms without having to train them directly. But then again most guys have at least one muscle group that will stand out and grow like crazy, whether its biceps, chest or whatever. Most lifters wish they had naturally big calves and forearms as those muscles are the hardest to grow. Ronnie Coleman won 8 olympia's and has calves like an 11 year old girl :D

And whoever said they can't understand training for size alone, keep in mind, strength comes with size. Just not as quick as if you are training for pure strength alone. Unless you are an MMA fighter or something i don't see the point training for strength. You'll probably still never be as functionally strong as someone who does concreting or furniture removals all day every day.

Ok just got measured up and everything again today by the personal trainer at my gym, good gains all round by i have notice my waist has gone up 10cms
i have been doing ab work a fair bit, but when i do ab work should'nt my waist be getting smaller, or is this normal for it to get bigger?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok just got measured up and everything again today by the personal trainer at my gym, good gains all round by i have notice my waist has gone up 10cms
i have been doing ab work a fair bit, but when i do ab work should'nt my waist be getting smaller, or is this normal for it to get bigger?

Working a particular area doesn't burn fat from that area. The only way to get a smaller waist is to burn fat. It's like when you see people doing very high rep-very low weight machine chest presses in the gym, thinking it will burn fat from their chest. Doesn't work like that.

Working a particular area doesn't burn fat from that area. The only way to get a smaller waist is to burn fat. It's like when you see people doing very high rep-very low weight machine chest presses in the gym, thinking it will burn fat from their chest. Doesn't work like that.
Yep. If you want your abs to show you need to do some hardcore cardio. There is no other way around it.

Whoever said shrugs are useless is wrong. Heavy dumbell shrugs are the best upper trap builder along with heavy deads. If you get no results from them, try seated dumbell shrugs, they are alot harder. Upright rows are ok but they are notorious for destroying shoulder joints. I've heard cable face pulls are great for traps, never tried them though. WSM and powerlifting competitors have all sorts of weird and esoteric excercises for building traps.

agree.....i incorporate shrugs (barbell and dumbell) as a base for cleans and snatches. but like most exercises i do in the weight room (whenever possible), i always do them on my feet and standing.

i never do upright rows.......for developing strength and explosive power which is my main aim, i'll do push presses and the shrugs instead.

Anybody who trains for size should always include forearms. I do them on back day, after deads and rows. 3 sets reverse curls, 9 sets rope/bar,3 sets wrist curls and then i can't open and shut my hands for about 20 minutes afterwards :) There are a few genetic freaks around who have mass forearms without having to train them directly. But then again most guys have at least one muscle group that will stand out and grow like crazy, whether its biceps, chest or whatever. Most lifters wish they had naturally big calves and forearms as those muscles are the hardest to grow. Ronnie Coleman won 8 olympia's and has calves like an 11 year old girl :D

that's a lot of work on your forearms.......and i presume you're a bodybuilder. i dont do any work to 'target' the forearms.....and only do calf exercises those times during the year when im not sprinting.....its just too much work for them.

And whoever said they can't understand training for size alone, keep in mind, strength comes with size. Just not as quick as if you are training for pure strength alone. Unless you are an MMA fighter or something i don't see the point training for strength. You'll probably still never be as functionally strong as someone who does concreting or furniture removals all day every day.

size comes with strength is a more accurate description. i only train for pure strength and power for prolly 2 months out of the year.....its tough on the body, particularly if you work long hours and have other external pressures which dont allow effective recuperation. generally, i work in the 4-6 rep range, but i dont limit it to that.......if i can lift the weight out to 7-8 reps, i do. i find the worst thing is becoming a slave to a set and rep scheme.

mcgarnacle, why do you do so much special endurance training? IMO it's not necessary for football (or almost any other team sport) as it has no special endurance component (SE is only necessary for 200-800m runners). Basically football (like most sports) is a series of short high intensity efforts (accelerate, decelerate, jump, tackle etc.) f low intensity/recovery (walk, jog, stand etc.) periods. I've found just general aerobic conditioning primarily (occasionally use other forms e.g. medball/calisthenics circuits, swimming, rowing etc. to deload joints + tendons from running) through extensive tempo runs (>3000m total volume - which will improve recovery between sprints - aerobic system - and from higher intensity sessions - sprinting, plyos and weights - without detracting from them) and a focus on improving acceleration over short distances (<30m) through sprinting (flat and short hill), weights and plyos, is the most effective way as it focuses on what's important. In actual fact no amount of running will prepare you fully for the 'endurance' requirements for a game of football, you'll need pre and early season games to do that for you (so you may as well get as fast and explosive as possible).

that's a lot of work on your forearms.......and i presume you're a bodybuilder. i dont do any work to 'target' the forearms.....and only do calf exercises those times during the year when im not sprinting.....its just too much work for them.

size comes with strength is a more accurate description. i only train for pure strength and power for prolly 2 months out of the year.....its tough on the body, particularly if you work long hours and have other external pressures which dont allow effective recuperation. generally, i work in the 4-6 rep range, but i dont limit it to that.......if i can lift the weight out to 7-8 reps, i do. i find the worst thing is becoming a slave to a set and rep scheme.

Forearms are tough, they can handle it. Personally it's the only way i can grow them, to hit them hard, on back day after they've already been hit hard by deads,rows and shrugs.

Size trainers are always bigger than strength trainers, so strength isn't really that important for size. True it helps lift heavier weights, which in turn obviously makes you bigger but there is no real need for a bodybuilder to focus on strength, ever. It will come naturally. I'm twice the size of any strength trainer i've seen at my local and i've never done a cycle yet. Most strength trainers i've seen also do their reps very slowly with slooooow negatives. I could never train like that, takes too much discipline.

I agree on the set/rep slave idea. My theory is simple, if i'm not struggling to get 8 reps every set, then there isn't enough weight on the bar. There are 1 or 2 exceptions, such as deads.

mcgarnacle, why do you do so much special endurance training? IMO it's not necessary for football (or almost any other team sport) as it has no special endurance component (SE is only necessary for 200-800m runners). Basically football (like most sports) is a series of short high intensity efforts (accelerate, decelerate, jump, tackle etc.) f low intensity/recovery (walk, jog, stand etc.) periods. I've found just general aerobic conditioning primarily (occasionally use other forms e.g. medball/calisthenics circuits, swimming, rowing etc. to deload joints + tendons from running) through extensive tempo runs (>3000m total volume - which will improve recovery between sprints - aerobic system - and from higher intensity sessions - sprinting, plyos and weights - without detracting from them) and a focus on improving acceleration over short distances (<30m) through sprinting (flat and short hill), weights and plyos, is the most effective way as it focuses on what's important. In actual fact no amount of running will prepare you fully for the 'endurance' requirements for a game of football, you'll need pre and early season games to do that for you (so you may as well get as fast and explosive as possible).

bigunit, i stuffed up my copy and paste on that post.

im only doing the 100m repetitve work, not the 400m intervals. in place of the intervals is a sprint session mainly consisting of runs over 10 - 60m (usually broken up into 10m-25m and later, 30-70m sessions). in these sessions are a mix of jog into sprints and also prone position or standing start sprints. on the other hand, i utilise the 100m reps to work on my anaerobic conditioning rather than all out speed. I find it effective in my preparation. Im moving away from the aerobic runs and concentrating more on higher intensity work.

i'll then be introducing some agility work into in the next phase.

i am doing a workout most days on my multi gym which works my chest, shoulders, quads, hamstring, tricep etc and i also have dumbbells which i often use mainly for building biceps. I am now looking to start doing a bit extra on my chest. To state the obvious i have a multi gym (just a basic one) and dumbbells can anyone please give me a good routine.

Whats the best set/rep combination?

Atm i only do 2 sets of about 8 to 10 of everything, is this enough?

I increase the weight whenever i feel its getting too easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Doing Weights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back