Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Illegal immigration, especially criminals, is not fine.

And to think it all started when that First Fleet, full of convicted criminals, landed at Sydney Cove.

locals back then were pissed too I bet.

That bloody lefty King George III!!

Last edited:
The government said everyone is getting a tax cut from TODAY, but I don't get paid until the 11th - the government LIED!
it's because albanese is now letting all these foreigners in y'know

Our tax system, stamp duty, negative gearing, EVERYTHING needs a complete overhaul. Labor won't do shit because if they try it the libs run a scare campaign and they get turfed. The libs don't want to do anything because from their perspective everything is working as intended. The 1% grow richer and more powerful and the serfs get screwed.

Tinkering around the edges to give people an extra $20 a week when everything has gone up 50% or more in the last 3 years doesn't really do much.

Millennials and younger got sold a lie, that they can work hard and be able to afford a house and to do things. That's not the case anymore. Now you can still do that, but only if you're in a median or better job, with a partner also working full time on the same more income - and even then it's a stretch and impossible in somewhere like Sydney.

The reality is not everyone can have a high paying job making 200k+. Those that aren't, particularly if single, get a live of indentured servitude as a wage slave for life.

Everything working as intended

Good story by Alan Kohler last night, his investigation into the housing shortage. There is no silver bullet. As he says governments have got to attack the problem on half a dozen fronts.

Good story by Alan Kohler last night, his investigation into the housing shortage. There is no silver bullet. As he says governments have got to attack the problem on half a dozen fronts.

Thanks REH. Covers the points he raised in an excellent article he wrote for the Quarterly Essay late last year which I recommend looking up if you want to follow his arguments in greater detail:

Screenshot 2024-07-02 at 11.26.48 AM.png

One of the first things the Albanese Government did when it came to power was to abolish the cashless debit card in remote communities. They were told by the local authorities it was a mistake but they pressed on. Now a University of Adelaide Study has shown that domestic violence and drunkeness has increased alarmingly since the card was abolished. Add this to the failed Voice campaign and there is ample evidence that the Government has no ****ing idea about dealing with the urgent problems that exist in indigenous communities. They do not need a voice to tell them what is obvious what they need is a wake up call and what these communities need is urgent help.

Last edited:

Alan Kohler makes some good points including the impact of Air B&B, rising interest rates and the sudden increase in immigration numbers post Covid but there does not seem to be any coordinated approach to solving the problems from Federal or State Governments.

In the immediate post war years Australia faced a housing crisis. An influx of returning servicemen and overseas immigration meant there were simply not enough houses to go round. The Chifley and Menzies Governments along with the Playford Government got cracking and square miles of affordable housing was built. These homes were nothing flash but they were built while there was a shortage of building materials and they served their purpose. I was raised in a house built from a War Service Loan but many of my relatives were raised in Trust Homes which did the job.

What a pity we have learned nothing from the pandemic. If the Government built low cost hostels these could be used as emergency housing and back packer hostels and then when we get another pandemic, as we are told we will, they could be used to isolate returning travelers.

A housing crisis is nothing new but alas there appears to be no Government initiative these days and no work ethic either. The Albanese Government has opened the doors to increased immigration but has not put much effort into forward planning.

Last edited:
One of the first things the Albanese Government did when it came to power was to abolish the cashless debit card in remote communities. They were told by the local authorities it was a mistake but they pressed on. Now a University of Adelaide Study has shown that domestic violence and drunkeness has increased alarmingly since the card was abolished.
That's not accurate.

The fact is that the review by the University of Adelaide found reports of alcohol use and gambling had increased in most of the areas where the card was formerly used. But it noted “no causal statements can be issued” about whether the card’s abolition was to blame, saying other factors, like local trends and the cost-of-living crisis, could be at play.

Most of what has been reported was in relation to information that was over 2 years old btw.

No surprises that the Murdoch press and Stokes' West Australian newspaper has totally misrepresented both the context and content of what was in the evaluation reports. No surprises it gets the rednecks quivering with excitement.

My advice is to not trust the tabloids when it comes to anything that doesn't fit their biased click bait agenda.

As a Port supporter you should know this already.

Last edited:
That's not accurate.

The fact is that the review by the University of Adelaide found reports of alcohol use and gambling had increased in most of the areas where the card was formerly used. But it noted “no causal statements can be issued” about whether the card’s abolition was to blame, saying other factors, like local trends and the cost-of-living crisis, could be at play.

Most of what has been reported was in relation to information that was over 2 years old btw.

No surprises that the Murdoch press and Stokes' West Australian newspaper has totally misrepresented both the context and content of what was in the evaluation reports. No surprises it gets the rednecks quivering with excitement.

My advice is to not trust the tabloids when it comes to anything that doesn't fit their biased click bait agenda.

Nah man, the Daily Telegraph is gospel.

That's not accurate.

The point is that the data shows that the rates of domestic violence and and alcohol abuse have risen since the abolishment of the card. It is tugging at the fabric of credibility to suggest that the abolition of the welfare card and the rise in violence was purely coincidental. I suspect the academics who conducted the research were hoping for a positive result but got a negative so they are qualifying the findings. Why else would you go to the trouble of conducting research, tabulating data then caution the public about interpreting that data?

It is interesting that the people who thought ending the welfare card was a positive live in Hervey Bay and Bundaberg while in Ceduna, East Kimberley and the Goldfields people reported an increase in alcohol abuse and associated violence.

In a further development overnight the Northern Territory Chief Minister has reimposed a curfew in Alice Springs following violent assaults on police officers. Things are not getting better and the Albanese Government needs to act. The Government doesn't need an indigenous voice to tell them that in many communities things are out of hand and they need to do something. Revisiting a welfare debit card may not be a panacea but it would be a start and if the levels of alcohol and violence fall we will know the card is effective.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things are getting ugly in Alice Springs with the Northern Territory Chief Minister planning legislation to impose permanent restrictions on the sale of alcohol in Alice Springs. Of course if they still had a welfare card the amount of available cash to spend on grog would be reduced and there might be no need for legislation. Not a great way to celebrate NAIDOC Week.

Why else would you go to the trouble of conducting research, tabulating data then caution the public about interpreting that data?
Because they know that idiots will misinterpret the data and make unsupported conclusions to push a narrative?

I mean, you've presented the exact case of why the Academics did the cautioning.

As well as having the Hinkley albatross around their necks, Ports have got seven mountains to climb against SUNS this week...

As well as having the Hinkley albatross around their necks, Ports have got seven mountains to climb against SUNS this week...

Why can't these fascists get a hobby that doesn't involve meddling in the lives of regular people. Take up pottery ffs.

Bullwinkle?

Showing my age but guessing that no matter who wins that electorate at the next election their new nickname will forever be 'Rocky'

View attachment 2059406

It's Bullwikel actually in honour of this lady:

Doesn't seem to have had much of a connection to WA except perhaps being buried here. I'm not aware of any suburbs, streets, hospitals or ovals named after her.

It's Bullwikel actually in honour of this lady:

Doesn't seem to have had much of a connection to WA except perhaps being buried here. I'm not aware of any suburbs, streets, hospitals or ovals named after her.
Thanks for that. Have deleted my comment for its ignorance and disrespect.

There's a documentary on her here as well:

A tragic courageous story of a remarkable woman whose deeds and service deserves to be recognised and honoured.

And she was born in SA (Kapunda) too. Given that SA's share of the national population continues to fall there is zero chance of a new Federal electorate being created here (unless its to accommodate the combining of two existing electorates) so I can see why WA gets the honour of a Federal electorate in her name.

WA Labor and Liberals submitted proposals to name the electorate 'Beard' to recognise Alma May Beard, one of the 22 Australian nurses who lost her life in the Bangka Island massacre which Lieutenant Colonel Vivian Bullwinkel miraculously survived. Beard was born in Toodyay in 1913, a Western Australian wheatbelt township located within the new electoral division. But ultimately both agreed that the electorate should be named after the woman whose courage and leadership both during and subsequent that massacre would be more appropriate.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Domestic Politics BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Back