Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

A feature of the IKON Park redevelopment includes space dedicated to significant Carlton Football Club memorabilia.

To assist in showcasing the rich history of our Club, we’re putting the call out to the Navy Blue community to see what artefacts might be out there amongst the treasure caves of suburban abodes.
Think boots, guernseys, trophies, medals – the older and more momentous, the better.

Q: In between the long run of top Carlton goalkicker of Brendon Fevola (2 Colemans) and Harry McKay (1, and counting), 8 different Blues (9 years) topped our table. Who were they?

Q: In between the long run of top Carlton goalkicker of Brendon Fevola (2 Colemans) and Harry McKay (1, and counting), 8 different Blues (9 years) topped our table. Who were they?

betts, walker, garlett, waite, everitt, wright, casboult, curnow

It is a sad state of affairs when there is more footage around from more than century ago than Channel 7 has of the VFL in the 1960s & 1970s.

And the 1950s as well.

I actually heard years ago that the entire (or most of it) 1954 VFL Grand Final footage exists in the hands of private collectors.

Think it's pretty selfish of said collectors not to give said game back to the AFL Archives and let everyone else enjoy such a historical game.

Having a clean out at home and found a June 11 1923 edition of the Age.

Closing line for the Carlton v South Melbourne match report is..."Bain, although he was constantly heckled by Carlton supporters, was fair to both sides, though many of his decisions were very inconsistent".

Nothing's changed!

By the way we lost by 2 points. Shithouse kicking for goal. South Melbourne 7.9 d Carlton 5.19

Last edited:

Closing line for the Carlton v South Melbourne match report is..."Bain, although he was constantly heckled by Carlton supporters, was fair to both sides, though many of his decisions were very inconsistent".

Nothing's changed!

By the way we lost by 2 points. Shithouse kicking for goal. South Melbourne 7.9 d Carlton 5.19
How much did the paper cost you in those days BG?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only surprise out of all of that for mine (and only coz I waste young when he played) was how much Harmsey loved a hanger.

Bosustow aside, I reckon the best leaper at that time for Carlton was Kenny Hunter.

The only surprise out of all of that for mine (and only coz I waste young when he played) was how much Harmsey loved a hanger.
Was just a dynamo.
If he was playing footy in this era, he would be the guy in your backline you try to allow him to be the loose type in back to just roam free and intercept everything. Guys like Lever and Allir could not kick as well as him though.

Was just a dynamo.
If he was playing footy in this era, he would be the guy in your backline you try to allow him to be the loose type in back to just roam free and intercept everything. Guys like Lever and Allir could not kick as well as him though.
Had a fair right fist while sliding on his gut too if the footage from a certain grand finals right 😜😜😜

Actually they should have included the Silvagni mark against Eagles in about 96 in a Friday night Perth clash. Virtually knocked himself out slamming head on ground doing an acrobatic dive to get to it. That was an awesome mark. Somebody else had to take the shot for goal as he was taken off to recover.

Edit: Found it which in next bit of play after next throw in. 1997, not 96 like I thought.

Last edited:
Actually they should have included the Silvagni mark against Eagles in about 96 in a Friday night Perth clash. Virtually knocked himself out slamming head on ground doing an acrobatic dive to get to it. That was an awesome mark. Somebody else had to take the shot for goal as he was taken off to recover.

Edit: Found it which in next bit of play after next throw in. 1997, not 96 like I thought.

Forgot how big Silvagni's thigh's were.

Remember watching that back in Melbourne and, embarrassingly now, thinking that Silvagni should've taken the shot on goal. How times have changed.

Nothing's changed!

How much did South pay the umpires that day?

Was just a dynamo.
Played against Harmesy in SuperRules. Absolutely freezing day - he rocked up in T Shirt, shorts and thongs. Had a shot from 60 in the last quarter and the ball was like a rock by then. Cleared the pack on the line with ease.

See this 1985 game just showing up on youtube.
Will bookmark where it is for me to watch during the week.
I remember I missed the start of this game as crazily finished playing under 17's in morning I think against Monbulk up in hills and somehow getting to Belgrave station afterwards to try to get to Carlton to watch as much of the game as could.
Certainly remember listening to most of first quarter on the train so might be my first time to look at it with footage someone kept and uploaded today.

See this 1985 game just showing up on youtube.
Will bookmark where it is for me to watch during the week.
I remember I missed the start of this game as crazily finished playing under 17's in morning I think against Monbulk up in hills and somehow getting to Belgrave station afterwards to try to get to Carlton to watch as much of the game as could.
Certainly remember listening to most of first quarter on the train so might be my first time to look at it with footage someone kept and uploaded today.

I had a look at this in the wee, wee hours of the morning. I remember this game well. We hadn’t beaten them in so long which made the win sweeter.

Peter Landy mentioned the thrashing we’d copped at Windy Hill earlier in the year. A mate of mine took me into their member’s area and I was well behaved until Terry Daniher laid out a Carlton player. I think it was Rod Ashman but it could have been David Glascott. I was annoyed as the Carlton player was put on the canvass stretcher. I was ready to start World War III at the less than savoury comments from the idiots sitting around me. I gave as good as I got which earned me a ‘lifetime suspension’ from sitting in the member’s with my mate. No matter the odds you’ve got to stick up for the team and players.

The other joy I got from this were the ad breaks. Cars, beer etc. Absolute crackers.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back