Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

LOL. Wax on, Wax off was a big part of my childhood.

Seriously mate, i have come to realise that there is moments when you just have to let go, and the Milburn/SOS incident is one of those.

For instance, for many years i harboured a bitter hate and recriminations against someone who wronged me as a child/vulnerable point in my life, but 2 years ago, i realized all that bitter rage was crippling me and holding me back, so i made a psychological decision to forgive that person and let bygones be bygones, and i felt unburdened/free for the first time in nearly 20 years.

Its obviously not the same as the SOS/Milburn incident, but i think forgiveness and/or compassion is good for the soul and/or psyche (depending on your own belief system)

Yeah Milburn was a dick, and was bit of a goose in baiting the fans afterwards, but I firmly believe its time, we as passionate fans, let it go. The world is dark and hate filled enough as it is.

Apologizes for that sermon, but in my heart, I just feel so passionately about the concept of forgiveness, hope I wasn't too extreme about it :)
David Carradine from Kung Fu likes this. :thumbsu:

Knights used to take some hangers over Maclure but most of the time during that period we weren't winning. In Knightsys last season in 85 he played on a very young SOS and rammed home a lazy 9. Superstar player.

Peter Knights was before my time, but older rellies/mates tell me he was honestly one of the most exciting players to watch, a more consistent and skillful Tony Modra they say.

His daughter is ill right now with a fairly serious disease, really pray for her and Peter and their family that her health improves tenfold, always hate hearing about children of footy champions (or anyone for that matter) doing it hard :(

Round 4, 1989, the last ever Carlton-Essendon* game to be played at PP (pretty sure it was the last). I got to the ground about half an hour before the bounce and the match was already a lockout. I prowled around the outside of the ground and found a section of fence low enough for me to climb and with the barbed wire at the top looking wonky enough for me to negotiate. So I scrambled over, with one or two other enterprising fans.
I ended up worming my way in among the crowd on the terraces at the Lygon Street end, near the old scoreboard. (This was pre-Legends stand of course.) It really was packed - I think they could have locked the gates even sooner than they did - so it was hard to get a decent view, but I was just rapt to be there after thinking I was going to miss out.
Sadly we lost the game. :(

Last edited:
One of the more harrowing memories is of a young Warren Tredrea absolutely tearing us a new one. I'd never heard of him before and he was marking absolutely everything and kicked what seemed like about 14 goals (think it was in reality more like 7 or 8) before getting stretchered off with a knee injury.

I seriously felt like I'd witnessed something shocking that day, Carlton were simply powerless to stop him.
It was 8.

Born and bred in WA I didn't get much of a chance to get across to Princes Park in my childhood.

The one and only game I attended also happened to be the club's last game at PP. I went with my Dad who is a life long carlton supporter and I still remember walking out on the ground after the game just stolling around soaking it all in. I do remember there was a man and his young son supporting melbourne sitting close by that day and when the final siren went they quickly played the dees song before the presentation started.

The young lad started complaining about the dees song not being played again and his dad pulled him aside and explained to him that it was day for Carlton people to celebrate our history and to soak it all in.

I was also there on the thursday night before the 95 GF and what a tremendous atmosphere that was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 17 1990 against WCE at PP. I'd just started a new job in WA and travelled to Melbourne with the boss for a conference. He, a rabid WCE supporter organised for us to go to PP with a few of the Melbourne office guys......all who were Carlton supporters and social club members....after about 10 pots each the game started and we looked pretty good in the first quarter..but that was it save for a mini revival in the last quarter, (we were kicking to the SC end)... some guy accidently on purpose smashed one of the SC windows after Sticks missed a goal that would have put us about 2-3 behind and in with a chance but not to be....my rabid boss delighted in reminding me of the day for the next week or so of the conference...some future stars in the ressies though eg Ang Christou

Late season 1995 against North. Final margin was only 19 points but the first 45 minutes of football was as good as I've ever seen a Carlton team play.

Absolutely destroyed a very good opposition to lead by nine goals in the second term. The place was heaving and there was a sense that we were on the verge on something special. The smell of the grass mixed with the outer underneath the old scoreboard still resonates.

Get a hold of the replay if you've never seen it.

Went out to Carlton V North at Optus Oval in 2000 and saw Kouta take Carey to the cleaners. Kouta was absolutely everywhere, had the ball on a string and also kicked a few goals (edit, just checked, five goals and 38 possessions!) . Carey was named All Australian captain that year which speaks volumes of Kouta's performance that day. He had an unbelievable season too and deserved to win the Brownlow.

I remember a lot of the ones mentioned so far but a couple that stand out for me are:

- Round 22 1971 ( The first game at PP I have an actual specific memory of) . Barassi's last game as coach of Carlton and Serge Silvagni's last game as a Carlton Player.

- 81 or 82? , the souvenir stand going up in flames during a game against Collingwood.

remember it pretty well......

348s.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back