Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember being over the moon when the Hawks beat the Blues for once in the early 80's. We won by 2 points after your mob kicked 14.27

I can't remember where I leave my car keys or wallet, but I can remember Carlton kicking 14.27 in a game of footy played almost 40 years ago :$:D

I believe I was on school holidays with parents annoyed I was in country NSW trying to pick up a radio signal for the game from Melbourne that Saturday afternoon. I believe we kicked 13 behinds last quarter and Dominator kicked a goal at the end from hardest spot on boundary at the end when it was all too late. I think the signal was so bad I thought I misheard all these behinds and found it hard to believe at the time.

I remember being over the moon when the Hawks beat the Blues for once in the early 80's. We won by 2 points after your mob kicked 14.27

I can't remember where I leave my car keys or wallet, but I can remember Carlton kicking 14.27 in a game of footy played almost 40 years ago :$:D
I believe I was on school holidays with parents annoyed I was in country NSW trying to pick up a radio signal for the game from Melbourne that Saturday afternoon. I believe we kicked 13 behinds last quarter and Dominator kicked a goal at the end from hardest spot on boundary at the end when it was all too late. I think the signal was so bad I thought I misheard all these behinds and found it hard to believe at the time.
Round 7, 1980. Carlton kicked 1.14 in the last quarter & as you rightly stated footyfan78, the goal was kicked very late in the last quarter (either on or after the final siren, if my memory serves me correctly). Hawthorn kicked 3.2 in the quarter, so it was break even, albeit with us having 15 scoring shots to 5. A very frustrating quarter, during which a number of easy shots were missed.

Round 7, 1980. Carlton kicked 1.14 in the last quarter & as you rightly stated footyfan78, the goal was kicked very late in the last quarter (either on or after the final siren, if my memory serves me correctly). Hawthorn kicked 3.2 in the quarter, so it was break even, albeit with us having 15 scoring shots to 5. A very frustrating quarter, during which a number of easy shots were missed.

Found article for it.
11 May 1980 - Blues kick their way to defeat - Trove - 11 May 1980 - Blues kick their way to defeat - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110956880 via @TroveAustralia

Found article for it.
11 May 1980 - Blues kick their way to defeat - Trove - 11 May 1980 - Blues kick their way to defeat - The Canberra Times (ACT : 1926 - 1995) http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article110956880 via @TroveAustralia
I still have a clear memory of that Wow Jones poster. After all the missed shots on goal, I remember thinking there is no way he would miss it, but sure enough, he did.

Round 11, 1991 v Footscray we kicked 1.10 for the game. Mark Arceri goaling late in time on in the last.

Round 11, 1991 v Footscray we kicked 1.10 for the game. Mark Arceri goaling late in time on in the last.
Yeah, you guys dodged a bullet there. I remember watching that game (like a car crash in slow motion) and barracking like crazy for the Bulldogs to keep Carlton goalless. Arceri was a good little rover. Gutsy.

I can't think of any team in my lifetime who have failed to score a goal. I've tried googling it, but I cant find the most recent instance of that happening. Just a bunch of the lowest scores ever (from 1897-1900). Probably Hawthorn in the 50's....

I have a memory of a game against North where at about the start of time on in the last quarter (25 min mark in those days) we were about 4 goals down but came home with a rush to sneak a win. It’s hard to locate in Every Game Ever Played as there’s only quarter by quarter scores. Anyone have any ideas when that was? Gut feel is around 87?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I have a memory of a game against North where at about the start of time on in the last quarter (25 min mark in those days) we were about 4 goals down but came home with a rush to sneak a win. It’s hard to locate in Every Game Ever Played as there’s only quarter by quarter scores. Anyone have any ideas when that was? Gut feel is around 87?

Found it. My other looks through the book must’ve been “boy” looks. The game was actually mentioned. Round 20 1988. We kicked 3 goals after the 30 min mark to get up by 4 points.

Found it. My other looks through the book must’ve been “boy” looks. The game was actually mentioned. Round 20 1988. We kicked 3 goals after the 30 min mark to get up by 4 points.
Yep, that's the game I must have been at with a North mate and wanted to get back to car to beat traffic but just stayed and saw 2 goals with virtually North not touching the ball and we won.

Spoke to a relative of Mario Bortolotto on the weekend. Reckons he was the luckiest player to play the game, 30 games and 2 premierships. His cousin, a McLeish, who ended playing 100 odd games for South Melbourne convinced to come down to the city and trial with Geelong. Needless to say McLeish wonders to this day what he did to upset the footy gods compared to his cousin.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I can't believe the 80's were almost 40 years ago. WTF is happening????

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Spoke to a relative of Mario Bortolotto on the weekend. Reckons he was the luckiest player to play the game, 30 games and 2 premierships. His cousin, a McLeish, who ended playing 100 odd games for South Melbourne convinced to come down to the city and trial with Geelong.
Meanwhile much better player David Clarke has no such luck coming from same club.
Just the way the cookie crumbles.

Sat down and watched the 1970 Grand final dvd on Sunday.
Had the little ones with me (only the eldest lasted).
Missus hovering in the kitchen, enjoying sport being on the TV for once.
Me passing on commentary about the players and the umpiring.
There were a couple of things that stood out to me, having watched the '68 final just the day before.
In '68 you could kick it out on the full with out penalty, not so in '70, clearly the AFL was fiddling with the rules way back then.
The number of hip and shoulder bumps that Carlton performed perfectly that resulted in a free to the collingweed player for a push in the back.
Jolly really did try to keep collingweed in the game.
But just watching those champs play was awesome, their skills were not up todays standards but they were physical.
Crane, Crosswell, Gould, BIG Nick, Percy, Jezza, Robbo, Gill, Hands, Waite were prolific winners of the ball.
Drop kicks, Torps were the norm with drop punts only occasionally seen.
Watching these past GF wins is the perfect way to bring in the season.

Last edited:
Youtube just found this.
Really weird as the angle of watching the game never seen before for game at our ground. This is 1986 and weird commentating team. Don Scott sound like this his first go at it. Do not even know the other guy.

Shocking calling by the other bloke, he has no idea.
Was this around the time the old press box was demolished? The camera angle is awful.

Shocking calling by the other bloke, he has no idea.
Was this around the time the old press box was demolished? The camera angle is awful.

Got no idea. Has me intrigued. Might have been a practice run call for Don Scott and this guy and channel 7 to decide if they use them onwards.

That other commentator is identified as Ray White, but I have no recall of him at all. I'm just wondering if this round of footy might have coincided with some over sporting event that 7 were covering therefore the lead commentators might not have been available.

1986 was the year that the VFL rejected 7s bid for the rights. Broadcom won the rights and onsold them to the ABC for 1986.

I don't recall this Ray White guy either, no doubt all of the major commentators were contracted to 7.

Sevens ratings took a dive that year and they picked the footy up again in 1987 buying the rights from Broadcom.

Channel 7 then negotiated a 5 year deal with the VFL from 1988.

1986 was the year that the VFL rejected 7s bid for the rights. Broadcom won the rights and onsold them to the ABC for 1986.

I don't recall this Ray White guy either, no doubt all of the major commentators were contracted to 7.

Sevens ratings took a dive that year and they picked the footy up again in 1987 buying the rights from Broadcom.

Channel 7 then negotiated a 5 year deal with the VFL from 1988.
This actually occurred in 1987 & ultimately led to the demise of World of Sport
http://www.hardballget.net/afl-1987-night-series--pre-season-cup.html

As I was living in Brisbane at the time, we watched the AFL on Channel 10 that season. The coverage was hosted by Barry Breen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Universal Love Down Memory Lane

Remove this Banner Ad

Back