Strategy CEO Thread - Jennifer Watt - Started Jan 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

If we’re not lobbying the Albury City Council we’re seriously out to lunch.

3 hours drive north of Melbourne. Get the AFL on board to commit to fixturing a larger club once a year to maximize impressions. Throw in some tourism media buys during the game.

100% no brainer. Just need to work the council hard.

I would love a drive to Albury once a year. Maybe twice. I'm not sure that any regional council would have the funds or the blessing of rate payers to bankroll games but maybe there's some money in NSW state government funded tourism.

Take over the Suns’ NT zone and come to Darwin for a couple of weeks. Just make it in late July when the weather is sooooo much better than the soup they played in May.

It’s one lot of travel and we’ll be the only team that’s acclimatised.. make it a mid-year fortress!

Seriously, there were bugger all Suns fans at either game this year, I reckon Territorians would get on board.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Especially with our history of indigenous players
That’s the point. They are 7M in the red and it was 10M + not so long ago.

And yet they are slowly paying back whats owed whilst all Home games are in Melbourne.

We have no debt.

We have no excuse.

Dan for president

Play WC & Freo in consecutive weeks as the "home" team, stay in Perth for the week. WC and Freo get their extra game at home to keep them quiet. We make the money from a full-ish stadium. We usually play them in Perth anyway! 2 replacement games in Melbourne. Move the other 2 back to Marvel. Would be interesting to know the economics. Wouldn't surprise me if we make the same amount of money from 2 Perth games that we do from 4 Tassie games

I’m guessing we’ll be waiting a long time for a proper analysis of why Melbourne based clubs feel they have to sell games interstate. Naturally the first response is money.
But then you think ‘what if the AFL owned their own stadium and clubs could play games there on reasonable terms?’ Oh, hang on there a sec.
And here’s where the footy media and their numerous conflicts of interest come into play. The footy journos at the AFL obviously won’t write articles slamming the cost of hosting games at Marvel. Other footy journos might possibly consider it but then they remember how well the AFL copes with criticism (hello to Mick Warner).

I think if we could sell only two games (and not to N QLD) and are able to make that viable we have improved the supporter experience. For many, not 100% dyed in the wool types we dont represent value as a members offering. How long did we just go without a real home game???

A thought to throw in the mix that probably should have its own thread.

A month or two back there were several media articles about clubs such as Carlton looking to have more home games at MCG. If there was going to be less games at Marvel is there any chance a better deal could be done there making only two "sells" more viable? Adding the farce that the AFL owns the joint. Does a better deal for us there save them money in equalisation funds allowing them to waste more and more in QLD? Surely theyd be happy with that.

St Kilda's improvement without disappearing from the state for months is worth exploring, if not a temporary dead cat bounce type thing then how have they done that?

The other consideration is whether playing extra games against Perth clubs in Perth is effectively starting the year at 0-2 as they improve moving forward.

Here’s my take looking at Sonja and the current board along with Jen.

Pros

-110% committed to us being a Melbourne based team.

-Don’t interfere with the football department. Some of the calls on here, on twitter lambasting Sonja and Jen about our on field performance while barely mentioning Clarko and not mentioning Viney at all were ridiculous.

Reality is we are back on track because Clarko has compromised on the game plan he wants us to play to one that suits our list now. It’s was and is all on them.

-Run a tight ship, show reasonable consideration for supporters and appear to be good people in it for the right reasons.

Cons

-we have lost the theme of innovation, and risk taking at a board and corporate level. The days of Ron Joseph, Greg Miller, Bob Ansett are gone.
There is no entrepreneurial spirit, no let’s think outside the box.

-the only way for NMFC to get away from being the lowest rev club in Melb is to be spectacular at building Non Football Revenue. That’s it, without finding ways to make more money than our competitors off field we will always need to sell the most games.

This is where the innovation comes in, my read is the C suite and certainly the board don’t have the skill sets or disposition to create and build.

They are there to maintain and govern.
That’s ok, but with that at best we will balance the books.

It’s evident by the balance of the skill sets at board level there is no appetite for us to try and be exceptional off field. Rather acceptable.

Fundamentally we are electing to play a straight bat. It’s up to each NMFC member to decide if that’s what they want I guess.

With innovation there is risk but also potential reward.

Last edited:
Don’t know how true but heard we may play some games in Geelong we would make more money then playing at marvel

Don’t know how true but heard we may play some games in Geelong we would make more money then playing at marvel
When Geelong are playing interstate, we can use their empty ground. Not sure Geelong will be happy about this idea though.

St Kilda's improvement without disappearing from the state for months is worth exploring, if not a temporary dead cat bounce type thing then how have they done that?

St Kilda's "improvement" means they're still years behind us despite largely copying us lolololololol

Cons

-we have lost the theme of innovation, and risk taking at a board and corporate level. The days of Ron Joseph, Greg Miller, Bob Ansett are gone.
There is no entrepreneurial spirit, no let’s think outside the box.

Those days are gone, correct, we're also debt free and stable.

-the only way for NMFC to get away from being the lowest rev club in Melb is to be spectacular at building Non Football Revenue. That’s it, without finding ways to make more money than our competitors off field we will always need to sell the most games.

Yes.

This is where the innovation comes in, my read is the C suite and certainly the board don’t have the skill sets or disposition to create and build.

Disagree, but not sure you appreciate what a heavily restricted environment they operate in.

Most of the discussion over the last page or two in this thread has very little to do with the President and much more to do with the CEO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Play WC & Freo in consecutive weeks as the "home" team, stay in Perth for the week. WC and Freo get their extra game at home to keep them quiet. We make the money from a full-ish stadium. We usually play them in Perth anyway! 2 replacement games in Melbourne. Move the other 2 back to Marvel. Would be interesting to know the economics. Wouldn't surprise me if we make the same amount of money from 2 Perth games that we do from 4 Tassie games

Yes, this would seem the most sensible and likely outcome imo

Those days are gone, correct, we're also debt free and stable.

Yes.

Disagree, but not sure you appreciate what a heavily restricted environment they operate in.

All clubs are investing into non football related revenue. The big boys are playing the straight bat with them and buying into childcare centres. That sort of investment just won't work for us we don't have meaningful enough capital.

I think you look at where NMFC has an unfair advantage to monetise our assets, exposure, membership base, goodwill, network and renovate an existing business or explore a start-up that can capitalise on these.

Getting a business that replaces that Tassie money in yield within 4 years is achievable IMHO.

I reckon the biggest opposition to the Perth idea would be other clubs - both WC and Freo effectively getting another home game each.
In years past the AFL was firmly opposed to clubs selling games to established markets like Perth, that’s why games are played in Darwin, Alice Springs & Hobart etc. Not sure that this position has changed.

start by playing GWS in Lavington! get 10k to that
If we don't bring the Tasmanian games back to Melbourne, I'd happily go to Lavington if the club arranged the games to go there.

The extra home games in SA due to Gather Rounds has changed this position.
Potentially this is the case. But the big difference is that everyone has to play there for Gather Rounds compared to one small VIC club selling a game to Freo or West Coast. The irony is that some of the big Victorian clubs would be, and have previously been, opposed to us doing this as they see it as ‘compromising the fixture’ which is laughable given how hopelessly compromised the fixture is anyway.

I reckon the biggest opposition to the Perth idea would be other clubs - both WC and Freo effectively getting another home game each.
In years past the AFL was firmly opposed to clubs selling games to established markets like Perth, that’s why games are played in Darwin, Alice Springs & Hobart etc. Not sure that this position has changed.

Possibly due to the amount of whinging coming out of non Victorian clubs and especially the WA clubs regarding travel inequities has caused a shift and as a result, all other clubs would prefer the lesser of two evils of allowing North Melbourne to sell home games to Freo and West Coast rather than have to travel to Perth themselves for a second Gather Round each season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back