Draft camp 08

Remove this Banner Ad

On the field he is rag doll like and lacks composure and often slow decision making, gives the impression he could really hurt the opposition but I'm yet to see him really do it.

not top 10 for mine (or top 30 for that matter) - I see him as a good defensive player though, great athlete.

There have been plenty of guys who have absolutely killed it at draft camp and still go very late in the draft.

yeah but he got AA and played league for West Perth. He is already considered a pick of 15 - 18 range but after his stellar results someone may punt on him even earlier eg: maybe top 10. In the AFL system i dont think he will live up to his pick however unless weight gained by doing weights really helps his footy.

Watts is ****ing mauling draft camp.... he is so far ahead of everyone else now. Clear no.1 draft pick.
http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabid/208/Default.aspx?newsId=68528
- 1.15pm-5pm – Psychomotor testing
(Reaction time, decision making and peripheral awareness)

Jack Watts – Sandringham Dragons, VIC
"There were some weird exercises that we had to do. In one, we had to hit the lights that flashed against the wall. We had to see how many we could hit in one minute. I did alright at that and scored 130, which was the best in our group. We also had an exercise with some flashing buttons, so it was good fun and challenging. I was fortunate enough to be in the top two in reaction time. Tyrone Vickery and I faced off in a competitive reaction time challenge and I got up. So I claimed the No.1 title in that," he said with a laugh.

We all know Naitanui can jump so that result doesn't really bother me. Still an outstanding result. I was always more interested in his 20m time. To run 2.86 at 198cm is incredible. Just an amazing all-round athlete.

Top 30 looks amazing (names mentioned by Mccartney)

9 mids
S.Blease
Suban
Walters
S.Hill
Harteltt
Rich
Ziebell
Swift
S.Sidebottom

10 Forwards and Backs
Yarran
Heyne
Schoenmakers
L.Johnstone
J.Trengove
Watts
T.Lynch
Cornelius
L.Jones
Hurley

4 Rucks
Mckernan
Roughead
Natunai
Vickery

Add in players such as
Broadbent
Okeffe
Cahill
Zaharakis
Deboer
Pearce
A.Cordy (pick 14)
M.Robinson

Top 30 looks amazing (names mentioned by Mccartney)

9 mids
S.Blease
Suban
Walters
S.Hill
Harteltt
Rich
Ziebell
Swift
S.Sidebottom

10 Forwards and Backs
Yarran
Heyne
Schoenmakers
L.Johnstone
J.Trengove
Watts
T.Lynch
Cornelius
L.Jones

4 Rucks
Mckernan
Roughead
Natunai
Vickery

Add in players such as
Broadbent
Okeffe
Cahill
Zaharakis
Deboer
Pearce
A.Cordy (pick 14)

You forgot Hurley...

On the field he is rag doll like and lacks composure and often slow decision making, gives the impression he could really hurt the opposition but I'm yet to see him really do it.

not top 10 for mine (or top 30 for that matter) - I see him as a good defensive player though, great athlete.

There have been plenty of guys who have absolutely killed it at draft camp and still go very late in the draft.

Certainly some of what you say is fair and warranted; when he played league he looked a little lost and was frequently exposed while under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if he did slide like you suggested.

Nonetheless, I cannot help but feel that if Hill had played TAC this year, some would be suggesting him as a top 10 and many as a certain top 20. When he played Colts and State Champs he looked composed, made good decisions and did hurt the opposition with his run. His kicking was superb.

It doesn't surprise me that a kid of his weight [very skinny] would be found wanting to a certain extent in his introduction to league footy. He is VERY slight. All I know is that many at WP rate him highly and consider him a star of the future.

What's more, Hill generally has very good foot skills, which is different to many who dominate DC but end up sliding. He did dominate the champs too, which 'normally' suggests he won't slide [when combined with his DC results].

I wouldn't be upset if we took him with 18 or 20.

Anyway, good on you for having a different opinion that isn't mainstream. As I said, won't be surpised wherever he ends up falling, but top 30 for mine.

Certainly some of what you say is fair and warranted; when he played league he looked a little lost and was frequently exposed while under pressure. I wouldn't be surprised if he did slide like you suggested.

Nonetheless, I cannot help but feel that if Hill had played TAC this year, some would be suggesting him as a top 10 and many as a certain top 20. When he played Colts and State Champs he looked composed, made good decisions and did hurt the opposition with his run. His kicking was superb.

It doesn't surprise me that a kid of his weight [very skinny] would be found wanting to a certain extent in his introduction to league footy. He is VERY slight. All I know is that many at WP rate him highly and consider him a star of the future.

What's more, Hill generally has very good foot skills, which is different to many who dominate DC but end up sliding. He did dominate the champs too, which 'normally' suggests he won't slide [when combined with his DC results].

I wouldn't be upset if we took him with 18 or 20.

Anyway, good on you for having a different opinion that isn't mainstream. As I said, won't be surpised wherever he ends up falling, but top 30 for mine.
I have seen him 6 times this year (3 U18's & 3 WAFL) so I like to think I make a fair judgment on him and not base it off a 3 minute highlights tape.

I see a fair bit of Shane Edwards & Tim Houlihan in Hill, covers an unbelievable amount of ground yet doesn't win much of the ball, goes in hard but is fairly unproductive 'inside' since he lacks natural power in his game. I have seen him kick 60m with resonable ease but his kicks lack that power that actually hurts the opposition - Rich/Hodge/Dew/Hurn/Goddard/Gilbee ect have that real power behind the long kicks that teams absolutely fear. Hill kicking 60m to me is similar to Rosa or Mackie kicking 60m - it takes so long to get to the next player that opposition defenders can read it in the air quick enough for it to not have an impact.

Compare Hill to a Selwood or Masten who cover a similar amount of ground and they will have 40 touches, Hill would probably be lucky to get 20 touches.

The best game I have seen him play was the first game against NSW/ACT at Subi, he was good but I didn't have him in my best acording to my match notes.

I would probably say 'popular opinion sugests top 30 but could demand an earlier pick if teams are keen'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

can someone give me the draft order
eg: which picks, melbourne 1, WCE 2, Freo 3 and so on

thanks just do it upto 16.

It's really not that hard to reverse the ladder

1. Melbourne
  2. West Coast
  3. Fremantle
  4. Port Adelaide
  5. Essendon
  6. Carlton
  7. Brisbane
  8. Richmond
  9. North Melbourne
  10. Adelaide
  11. Collingwood
  12. Sydney
  13. St Kilda
  14. Western Bulldogs
  15. Geelong
  16. Hawthorn

I have seen him 6 times this year (3 U18's & 3 WAFL) so I like to think I make a fair judgment on him and not base it off a 3 minute highlights tape.

I see a fair bit of Shane Edwards & Tim Houlihan in Hill, covers an unbelievable amount of ground yet doesn't win much of the ball, goes in hard but is fairly unproductive 'inside' since he lacks natural power in his game. I have seen him kick 60m with resonable ease but his kicks lack that power that actually hurts the opposition - Rich/Hodge/Dew/Hurn/Goddard/Gilbee ect have that real power behind the long kicks that teams absolutely fear. Hill kicking 60m to me is similar to Rosa or Mackie kicking 60m - it takes so long to get to the next player that opposition defenders can read it in the air quick enough for it to not have an impact.

Compare Hill to a Selwood or Masten who cover a similar amount of ground and they will have 40 touches, Hill would probably be lucky to get 20 touches.

The best game I have seen him play was the first game against NSW/ACT at Subi, he was good but I didn't have him in my best acording to my match notes.

I would probably say 'popular opinion sugests top 30 but could demand an earlier pick if teams are keen'

Mate, I never implied you hadn't seen him, was merely providing my opinion.

sounds almost definate that the dees have given him the word. he sounded pretty excited when he was asked about the dees. great news.:thumbsu:

sounds almost definate that the dees have given him the word. he sounded pretty excited when he was asked about the dees. great news.:thumbsu:

Sounds very mature in interviews, but has personality at the same time.

The marketing edge of Naitanui might not be needed afterall, Watts seems pretty marketable.

Will go no 1 for sure.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft camp 08

Remove this Banner Ad

Back