Draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

May 14, 2007
narre warren
AFL Club
Carlton
realisticly if we dont win another game and get picks 1-3 or 1-4 obviosly we would pick kreuzer first but who would we get as 3-4? Who would richmond pick? would would melbourne pick?

I'd love to get Cotchin (I'd actually pick him with 1 if it was up to me). I suspect he, Kruezer, Ebert, Masten and Morton might make up the top 5.

Might go something like this:

1. Carlton - Kruezer
2. Richmond - Cotchin (sadly)
3. Carlton - Ebert
4. Melbourne - Masten
5. Freo - Morton (might go higher)

I'd love to get Cotchin (I'd actually pick him with 1 if it was up to me). I suspect he, Kruezer, Ebert, Masten and Morton might make up the top 5.

Might go something like this:

1. Carlton - Kruezer
2. Richmond - Cotchin (sadly)
3. Carlton - Ebert
4. Melbourne - Masten
5. Freo - Morton (might go higher)

I think Kreuzer is the safest selection at #1. WH won't be criticised for choosing Kreuzer. If it were me i would still be looking for two quick ball carriers with good to exceptional disposal. While I don't think Kreuzer is lay-down-misere, I would think it might be closer to:

1. Carlton - Kreuzer
2. Richmond - Morton
3. Carlton - Cotchin
4. Melbourne - McEvoy
5. Fremantle - Masten

2 and 3 are really interchangable, take your best guess.

I want to see Rhys Palmer wearing a Navy Blue guernsey next year.

Runs very hard and has a positive attitude and possesses leadership qualities, he's a very promising prospect. Can you imagine a midfield with Gibbs, Murphy, Walker, Carrots, Scotland, Simmo, Stevo and Palmer working overtime? He'd be a very good pick for the future development of our team if we're serious about winning a flag.

He'll have some WA lads in Blackers, Bower, Benjamin to nurse the possible homesick factor...

I want to see Rhys Palmer wearing a Navy Blue guernsey next year.

Runs very hard and has a positive attitude and possesses leadership qualities, he's a very promising prospect. Can you imagine a midfield with Gibbs, Murphy, Walker, Carrots, Scotland, Simmo, Stevo and Palmer working overtime? He'd be a very good pick for the future development of our team if we're serious about winning a flag.

He'll have some WA lads in Blackers, Bower, Benjamin to nurse the possible homesick factor...

If agree that Palmer is the type of player who would greatly add to our midfield, it is just a question of whether he is rated above a Cotchin for example, you have to remember Cotchin is almost 12 months younger and hasn't had the advantages of being surrounded by a semi-professional system for probably around 12 months like Palmer has. Have seen Cotchin put in some very special performances that have you gasping out aloud, just doesn't do it as consistently as Palmer, but you would expect that for the above reasons.

If agree that Palmer is the type of player who would greatly add to our midfield, it is just a question of whether he is rated above a Cotchin for example, you have to remember Cotchin is almost 12 months younger and hasn't had the advantages of being surrounded by a semi-professional system for probably around 12 months like Palmer has. Have seen Cotchin put in some very special performances that have you gasping out aloud, just doesn't do it as consistently as Palmer, but you would expect that for the above reasons.
Wait a second. You're saying that Palmer at the minute is a better player, just older and has the advantage of playing senior footy? So therefore Cotchin is a better prospect...

There's something wrong with that logic somewhere. :confused:

we should be talking about how we are going to loose our last game of the year versus melbourne,
it is going to be very interesting see what carlton do, come round 22

Wait a second. You're saying that Palmer at the minute is a better player, just older and has the advantage of playing senior footy? So therefore Cotchin is a better prospect...

There's something wrong with that logic somewhere. :confused:

No I don't think there is anything wrong with it..

Cothcin is bottom aged and almost 12 months younger than Palmer. Has predominantly been playing for his school, whereas Palmer is playing WAFL seniors.

I am saying to make a fair comparison you have to use some imagination and try to "project" how good Cotchin will be in 12 months time, with some time in a professional system and an extra 12 months of development. A fairer comparison between the two would be Palmer in the '06 champs where he was roughly the same age as Cotchin is now, but was only a bench player and had no real influence over the games.....circa '07 where Cotchin is the Vic Metro captain and is heavily tagged in Perth, playing a lot of game time and looking right at home and classy off a HBF. Palmer was nowhere near that level in '06. Having said that, Palmer has shown a lot of development in those 12 months, but the question has to be asked, does he have much more improvement left in him, whereas what improvement will Cotchin show by the time he is the same age as Palmer...

I am a bit seedy this morning and my expression is probably a bit convuluted, but I hope I that makes some sense.

No I don't think there is anything wrong with it..

Cothcin is bottom aged and almost 12 months younger than Palmer. Has predominantly been playing for his school, whereas Palmer is playing WAFL seniors.

I am saying to make a fair comparison you have to use some imagination and try to "project" how good Cotchin will be in 12 months time, with some time in a professional system and an extra 12 months of development. A fairer comparison between the two would be Palmer in the '06 champs where he was roughly the same age as Cotchin is now, but was only a bench player and had no real influence over the games.....circa '07 where Cotchin is the Vic Metro captain and is heavily tagged in Perth, playing a lot of game time and looking right at home and classy off a HBF. Palmer was nowhere near that level in '06. Having said that, Palmer has shown a lot of development in those 12 months, but the question has to be asked, does he have much more improvement left in him, whereas what improvement will Cotchin show by the time he is the same age as Palmer...

I am a bit seedy this morning and my expression is probably a bit convuluted, but I hope I that makes some sense.

Errrr, I suspect Jack Grimes might have something to say about that mate.

If we get picks 1 and 3 then I'll be happy as long as we pick up Kreuzer and Cotchin or Morton, I'll be happy................. Or if we pick up Cotchin and Mortin :thumbsu:

Think of the difference between Gibbs and Selwood this yr.

Selwood is 8 months or so older than Gibbs.

That extra yr of maturity makes a massive diffrence.

IMO

#1 Kreuzer
#3 Cotchin/ Morton, pretty obvious
by the time #20 has come up, it will be safe to assume the follwing players will be taken:
Masten, Palmer, Henderson, Rance, McEvoy, Ebert will be taken, IMO considering the fraft this yr, they will all go top10. Given any of these are free we take them, or look for a leadership type player. Grimes would be sensational to grab. Rember captain of Vic Metro last yr, Leigh Adams, went all the way down to rookie listed. But would also be very happy with a small forward type player i.e. Maric on Jr Rioli.
And for the love of god lock in Mitchell Farmer if he is around after 3rd round.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if Carlton don't win another game
1 kreuzer (Carlton)
2 morton (Richmond)
3 cotchin (Carlton)
4 ebert (Melbourne)
5 grimes (fremantle)

others that might go early masten, palmer and garlett (he could go high in the draft playing good footy for swan districts in wafl)

Grimes will be gone by the time our second round selection comes along, and Farmer will also be gone by the time our 3rd round selection comes along as well. There will be some good players around at 20ish, but who they are, is anyones guess as who knows which clubs are going to pull the trigger on which players.

if Carlton don't win another game
1 kreuzer (Carlton)
2 morton (Richmond)
3 cotchin (Carlton)
4 ebert (Melbourne)
5 grimes (fremantle)

others that might go early masten, palmer and garlett (he could go high in the draft playing good footy for swan districts in wafl)

Garlett will struggle to go that high at only 172cm and essentially a small forward who can pinch-hit in the midfield. He has great skills and moves nicely (while not being express like jetta), I would be surprised if he was not given a chance.

Think of the difference between Gibbs and Selwood this yr.

Selwood is 8 months or so older than Gibbs.

That extra yr of maturity makes a massive diffrence.

IMO

#1 Kreuzer
#3 Cotchin/ Morton, pretty obvious
by the time #20 has come up, it will be safe to assume the follwing players will be taken:
Masten, Palmer, Henderson, Rance, McEvoy, Ebert will be taken, IMO considering the fraft this yr, they will all go top10. Given any of these are free we take them, or look for a leadership type player. Grimes would be sensational to grab. Rember captain of Vic Metro last yr, Leigh Adams, went all the way down to rookie listed. But would also be very happy with a small forward type player i.e. Maric on Jr Rioli.
And for the love of god lock in Mitchell Farmer if he is around after 3rd round.

Both Grimes and Rioli will be gone come our 2nd round pick. We could grab a steal in Maric though.

Both Grimes and Rioli will be gone come our 2nd round pick. We could grab a steal in Maric though.

I agree. I think Maric is harshly judged around here. Yes, he plays mainly as a small forward, but I have seen him play in the midfield, and he can handle himself quite well in there. I wouldn't be opposed to Carlton selectiong him with our second selection should he still be around.

Not too sure, from what ive seen that is, not by what other people have told me. Rioli has massive upside, but form the 2 games ive watched he seems to dissapear when the game is past. I actually didnt see the game where he bagged 6 or so goals.

Grimes is just one of those players that i get the feeling will be over-looked early by team wanting to draft KP and Rucks. Not to mention him getting rather overshaddowed by the likes of cotchin and Kreuzer running around in the middle of the park at Metro games. I can see him falling to the early 2nd round.

Everyone thought Jetta and Proud would be gone by our first pick last year. They were still there and we past them over.

With the exception of the half dozen or so top players that are available trying to guess where certain players will be selected is almost an exercise in futility.

That said educated guesses do make a good read.

Everyone thought Jetta and Proud would be gone by our first pick last year. They were still there and we past them over.

With the exception of the half dozen or so top players that are available trying to guess where certain players will be selected is almost an exercise in futility.

That said educated guesses do make a good read.

Connors, O'Brien and Collard as well.

What if we do not get the priority pick? Who and what scenario would you all be happy with if we don’t get the priority pick?

Me, I’d be gunning for Cotchin first and then not sure from there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft picks

Remove this Banner Ad

Back