List Mgmt. Mid Season Draft 2024 - From 7PM Wed 29th May Live on afl.com.au

Remove this Banner Ad

I wish the kid well and welcome his selection over someone like RCD, but I can’t help but think we have more pressing needs than another midfielder. Also spells big trouble for Jack Carroll IMO given one of the Campo’s we’re likely to take is also a midfielder.

How much midfield depth should we have though?

Who is in our VFL side once our list is fit?

Mids: J Carroll, Binns, Cincotta, Cuningham

Defenders M Carroll, Wilson, S Durdin, Akuei, Marchbank, Young, Lemmey, Boyd?, Cowan?

Forwards: Moir, Monahan, C Durdin, Fantasia,

Rucks: O'Keeffe, Mirkov, Pittonet/Silvagni?

That's with a full list available and trying to see who might be on the fringes when that happens.

We are definitely plugging the midfield with VFL listed boys and players out of position. I mean, several of these guys are always injured so it's not going to be that big a squeeze, but we are lacking massively in terms of AFL listed midfielders coming through.

wtf are Norf doing? Are they aiming to field a team of midfielders every week?

Seriously, one type they didn’t need is another midfielder

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
And a Tasmanian too who’s likely to be a target of the new team in 3 years time.

And they could have had a midfield quartet of Horne-Francis, Harley Reid, Tarryn Thomas and Luke Davies-Uniake.

Hard to come up with a better young midfield group than that - except for the fact the LDU is the only one there - and there's a fair chance he won't be in 2025.

Fair to say Carroll hasn't quite come on as hoped, though he still has time.

Played some ok games but hasn't really had a breakout game. I do notice a drop off in our midfield when he's in the middle instead of one of our better, more seasoned mids.

Not even in the 22 when we are missing Cerra, Doc and Cuningham.

We're even playing Cincotta in the midfield more now instead of him.

Carroll has been really good coming on as sub. Maybe a bit less so when playing full games. He's not quite at that level but I agree, he's still only 22 so developing nicely. Hopefully he starts reaching the top of his game in the next year or 2.

If he tracks like Kennedy (another big body mid) he didn't really hit his straps until year 6.

Defenders M Carroll, Wilson, S Durdin, Akuei, Marchbank, Young, Lemmey, Boyd?, Cowan?

That's with a full list available and trying to see who might be on the fringes when that happens.

We are definitely plugging the midfield with VFL listed boys and players out of position. I mean, several of these guys are always injured so it's not going to be that big a squeeze, but we are lacking massively in terms of AFL listed midfielders coming through.

I was pretty high on Hall and McLachlan but obviously both got taken before our pick, so the more I think about the pick the more I understand why we chose him given his age and potential upside.

I just really hope we get some small or medium forwards via free agency and/or a trade. I would also still like us to get McMahon in the rookie draft as we lack key position player depth IMO.

I was pretty high on Hall and McLachlan but obviously both got taken before our pick, so the more I think about the pick the more I understand why we chose him given his age and potential upside.

I just really hope we get some small or medium forwards via free agency and/or a trade. I would also still like us to get McMahon in the rookie draft as we lack key position player depth IMO.

If there's one position on the ground where you almost can't have too many - it's midfield. They can adapt to play elsewhere and you never know we might get a gun.

I think we've been guilty of not recruiting anywhere near enough pure mids in the past - particularly in the 2015-17 period where we put almost all of our eggs in the SPS / Dow basket which hurt us bigtime as both were busts. If you look at the players we missed through that period (Cerra, LDU, Ed Richards, Tim Kelly, Keays, Bolton, etc.) it was a mistake to not target more mids I think.

The bit I think we're missing now is speed around the midfield. Lord seems like he's yet another slower / strong mid.

was thinking the same thing. Their biggest issue is Key players... yet they take another Mid/Fwd hybrid. Even though he's a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And they could have had a midfield quartet of Horne-Francis, Harley Reid, Tarryn Thomas and Luke Davies-Uniake.

Hard to come up with a better young midfield group than that - except for the fact the LDU is the only one there - and there's a fair chance he won't be in 2025.
Good thing they got Clarkson to foster a sense of inclusivity. As the Hawthorn court case shows.

On SM-F926B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back