Rumour Draft Rumours 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

6 & 11 for 2 & F1 is heavily stacked in the Tigers favour.

We'd basically be swapping pick 6 into next year and getting a free upgrade of pick 11 to pick 2 for the privilege.

I can see why North would do it though, this year's draft is deeper so that pick 11 could be the equivalent of a top end pick in a normal draft year (pick 6 to 10) so if they back themselves in for 2025 then their F1 could be a pick around 5 or 6.

I actually think it's not a bad deal for North to get into a deeper draft this year.

I can see why North would do it though, this year's draft is deeper so that pick 11 could be the equivalent of a top end pick in a normal draft year (pick 6 to 10) so if they back themselves in for 2025 then their F1 could be a pick around 5 or 6.

I actually think it's not a bad deal for North to get into a deeper draft this year.
Not really.

This year's top end isn't as good as previous years, there's just a lot more depth to the draft.

North are likely at the point where they see no point in continuing to go to the draft, they need to start showing significant improvement. With that, they can poach players from other clubs with future picks, FA, etc.

Continuing to prioritise the draft doesn't make much sense for them anymore.

Not really.

This year's top end isn't as good as previous years, there's just a lot more depth to the draft.

North are likely at the point where they see no point in continuing to go to the draft, they need to start showing significant improvement. With that, they can poach players from other clubs with future picks, FA, etc.

Continuing to prioritise the draft doesn't make much sense for them anymore.

North have trouble trading for those top experienced players though, they only get them towards the end of their careers, i think it makes perfect sense to keep investing.

What if the deal was 6+11+18 for 2+F1?

Tigers still pick at 1, 2, 10, 20, 23, 24 Plus have 2 top picks in 2025 to spread their intake a little.

20, 23 or 24 could still become another 2025 F1st if the right player was available.
If 18 is involved I’d want their F2 also.

Tigers still pick at 1, 2, 10, 20, 23, 24 Plus have 2 top picks in 2025 to spread their intake a little.

20, 23 or 24 could still become another 2025 F1st if the right player was available.
Personally, I feel that's more palatable. Could value our F1 around the 11 mark, I guess. I think it's unders for pick 2, but bundled together it kinda works. Tipping tigers still think it's overpaying.....I'd prefer to wait for any deal on the night, hope we do. Heaps to play out yet.

Blair knocking back his own offer: I like it. I hope he can resolve his own internal negotiations before he approaches North.
Blair wont be the person approaching

I dont believe he is too worried about moving up and is happy with where our picks are positioned
There are 6 /7 mids that are clearly in the top tier FOS , Lalor , Jagga , Draper , Langford , Reid , Smillie

Richmond will take our #1 rated mid with pick #1 and a very high chance Armstrong or Viking will be taken prior to #6
leaving 2 maybe 3 of the above to chose from. Then there are multiple choices available at #10 / #11 to get mids

Normally there are standout players in the top 3 but this year is different and its an even spread
Also dont see any team giving up a top 10 pick for future picks this year

So, 2 and 2-5 for 6, 11 and 18

Not particularly great tbh.

North have trouble trading for those top experienced players though, they only get them towards the end of their careers, i think it makes perfect sense to keep investing.
True but the problem is that when they were contending, they basically went chips in on Martin(who seriously considered moving, lucky for him he didn't) and were on the way down when trying to attract others.

With Alastair Clarkson, and an improved year next season, they'll start looking more attractive to Vic players looking to move home from outside Victoria.

In theory anyway.

I heard a rumour North and Richmond fans love to bicker with each other
Just like north fans and Essendon fans, north fans and port fans, north fans and north fans. Damn north fans, they ruined North Melbourne…

So, 2 and 2-5 for 6, 11 and 18

Not particularly great tbh.
It's not great, but it's also not shocking for the Tigers either. Will really depend who we think we can get at those pics. If they are the names on our board it's acceptable. No one should give up pick 2 and feel like they got dudded on the deal. Not every club is the GCS

It's not great, but it's also not shocking for the Tigers either. Will really depend who we think we can get at those pics. If they are the names on our board it's acceptable. No one should give up pick 2 and feel like they got dudded on the deal. Not every club is the GCS
2 and F1 for 6, 11 and 18

Its not great for either team depending of which side of the fence or Bias but that usually means its about right
I personally dont know how i feel about it as trading into a weaker draft where a team stacked with 1st rounders that will have organic growth and some experience coming in. No reason why North dont do a Hawthorn next year
#2 for #6 + #18 i can live with but #11 for Norths F1 is the trade im skeptical about

2 and F1 for 6, 11 and 18

Its not great for either team depending of which side of the fence or Bias but that usually means its about right
I personally dont know how i feel about it as trading into a weaker draft where a team stacked with 1st rounders that will have organic growth and some experience coming in. No reason why North dont do a Hawthorn next year
#2 for #6 + #18 i can live with but #11 for Norths F1 is the trade im skeptical about
I think we are the same though mate....we don't like it either, but bundled together it kinda makes you feel less queezy I guess. Ideally both clubs come out feeling ok about it, that's the best result.
I'd be amazed if we did a Hawthorn, stoked, but amazed. I think if we aim for, and manage, 6 wins next year we'd be on a great path

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we are the same though mate....we don't like it either, but bundled together it kinda makes you feel less queezy I guess. Ideally both clubs come out feeling ok about it, that's the best result.
I'd be amazed if we did a Hawthorn, stoked, but amazed. I think if we aim for, and manage, 6 wins next year we'd be on a great path
i personally think North will get 8/9 wins and will be alot better and more competitive
was in a lot of games this year and lost them when they could have easily have won them and gave up big leads

You now have 3 experienced players that will be starting 23 easily and add depth and maturity to the young players and there will be organic growth in the younger talented kids with another pre season and more experience
honestly wouldnt surprise me if North finished 9-12 next season

Blair wont be the person approaching

I dont believe he is too worried about moving up and is happy with where our picks are positioned
There are 6 /7 mids that are clearly in the top tier FOS , Lalor , Jagga , Draper , Langford , Reid , Smillie

Richmond will take our #1 rated mid with pick #1 and a very high chance Armstrong or Viking will be taken prior to #6
leaving 2 maybe 3 of the above to chose from. Then there are multiple choices available at #10 / #11 to get mids

Normally there are standout players in the top 3 but this year is different and its an even spread
Also dont see any team giving up a top 10 pick for future picks this year
Are we channeling Blair Hartley's thoughts again? If you have read them correctly, Richmond should really try and split pick 1.

Strangely, when I tried channeling Blair, I found that he only rates two mids in this year's draft and considers it garbage after that.

Are we channeling Blair Hartley's thoughts again? If you have read them correctly, Richmond should really try and split pick 1.

Strangely, when I tried channeling Blair, I found that he only rates two mids in this year's draft and considers it garbage after that.
Blair does the Channeling son

This is the lesson you need to learn

6 for 2 seems ok to you? Awesome deal for North :rolleyes:. Stacks up well for the Tigers too. Why would North do that? Seems insane
It’s pretty clear what’s in it for North.

2 for 6 is Tauru for Tauru (with a back up plan of Armstrong maybe). That move costs nothing. It’s time to target a tall. You’ve got better versions of all the best midfield guys already.

Future 1 for 11.
F1 is a pick that hopefully isn’t top 4 in a compromised draft. 11 is Joe Berry or Xavier Lindsay or some other quality player who comes in right away and starts developing and plugs a clear list hole.

Ok we had a better more proven list hit after 2019 Melbourne were 3rd last and traded a F1 to North and got Kossie Pickett. The ability to add a known quantity to your side is more valuable than winning the trade.

At 11 you are giving up the likes of Armstrong, Travaglia or Lindsay. Much better players than the top 5 next year.
None of those 5 would have been taken top 5 in any draft in the last 10 years. A top 5 pick in next year's draft will provide better access to talent then pick 11 this year even if we don't know who it is yet.

Whilst the draft depth this year is great, I think this extreme view of "anyone taken in the first round of this year's draft is better than anyone ever (a bit of hyperbole there)" is getting out of hand.

Yes, lots of clubs are looking to trade picks forward but I think that's just as much about impatience as it is relative draft strength. Will see it again next year and every year after that.

It’s pretty clear what’s in it for North.

2 for 6 is Tauru for Tauru (with a back up plan of Armstrong maybe). That move costs nothing. It’s time to target a tall. You’ve got better versions of all the best midfield guys already.

Future 1 for 11.
F1 is a pick that hopefully isn’t top 4 in a compromised draft. 11 is Joe Berry or Xavier Lindsay or some other quality player who comes in right away and starts developing and plugs a clear list hole.

Ok we had a better more proven list hit after 2019 Melbourne were 3rd last and traded a F1 to North and got Kossie Pickett. The ability to add a known quantity to your side is more valuable than winning the trade.
I agree you don't need to win the trade, but you certainly shouldn't be losing the trade. Both those options are on a downward trend. I hope like hell we don't do that. If we want Tauru so badly take him at 2, rather than risk him not being there at 6.

And I also think Taylor ran rings around North in that trade, he's up there with the best in the business and he wouldn't do the trade you are proposing, no way.

Remove this Banner Ad

Rumour Draft Rumours 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back