Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone hear anything else about Petracca not going at #1?

I heard psych testing wasn't great, was there any other reason?

There were a few players that had recruiters concerned for this reason and it's somewhat obvious for who they may have been.

Doesn't go to say they won't be excellent players but it's clear that talent alone won't get you over the line every time.

Yes, apparently the Carlton recruiter had a nervous breakdown in the moments leading up to the draft and was a no show. This go some way to explaining their selections.
Heard Clem Smith ran through Paul Roos and Jason Taylor to show them what is missing in Garlett's game.

We didn't trade pick 23 for Bernie Vince who turns 30 next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes, apparently the Carlton recruiter had a nervous breakdown in the moments leading up to the draft and was a no show. This goes some way to explaining their selections.

The ironing is delicious, coming from a Dees fan ..

The ironing is delicious, coming from a Dees fan ..

You can eat this?

A_woman_ironing_a_sheet_110507-161450-644009.jpg

Oh right, how bad was it then?
I'll just leave it at "wasn't great may be an understatement"!

Is he the next Ted Bundy?
Haha, no, the big questionmark seems to be about his maturity and so-on. They spoke about it during the telecast the other night, as you obviously heard, he's admitted that Tom Boyd had to have a stern talk to him in 2013 and then this was in the HS the day after the draft:

"Petracca was seen for months as the draft's no.1 pick but clubs worried about his carefree, bubbly personality and questioned his maturity" ("Dees not scared off by 'bubbly' Petracca"- if you google it you can read the article, I took the quote straight from the paper) and it then goes on to say that he had "twice this year been told to lift his game by AFL academy boss Mick Ablett" and I have to say that he did come across as pretty goofy and immature when he was interviewed on TV during the draft coverage.

Now this, from today's HS (Jon Ralph interviewing Paul Roos- "It's All Tickety Roos"): Ralph: "Petracca is bright and bubbly and raw. Some clubs were worried about his psych testing. Is it a worry?" and Roos doesn't exactly shoot the question down in flames with this answer: "My interaction with him is he's a nice kid with a great family. And, unfortunately we all have to take responsibility for this- we build up the draft and put them on a tee early and then we want to take a whack at them. he is a young kid from a basketball background and he has strengths and weaknesses. As all kids do in the draft. Hopefully we can utilize his strengths and improve his weaknesses."

In other words, "yes, it's a worry, but we hope we can fix him and I'm glad we didn't have to decide whether he was ready for the responsibility, focus, pressure and attention that would have come his way had he been taken at pick 1"!

Haha, no, the big questionmark seems to be about his maturity and so-on. They spoke about it during the telecast the other night, as you obviously heard, he's admitted that Tom Boyd had to have a stern talk to him in 2013 and then this was in the HS the day after the draft:

"Petracca was seen for months as the draft's no.1 pick but clubs worried about his carefree, bubbly personality and questioned his maturity" ("Dees not scared off by 'bubbly' Petracca"- if you google it you can read the article, I took the quote straight from the paper) and it then goes on to say that he had "twice this year been told to lift his game by AFL academy boss Mick Ablett" and I have to say that he did come across as pretty goofy and immature when he was interviewed on TV during the draft coverage.

Now this, from today's HS (Jon Ralph interviewing Paul Roos- "It's All Tickety Roos"): Ralph: "Petracca is bright and bubbly and raw. Some clubs were worried about his psych testing. Is it a worry?" and Roos doesn't exactly shoot the question down in flames with this answer: "My interaction with him is he's a nice kid with a great family. And, unfortunately we all have to take responsibility for this- we build up the draft and put them on a tee early and then we want to take a whack at them. he is a young kid from a basketball background and he has strengths and weaknesses. As all kids do in the draft. Hopefully we can utilize his strengths and improve his weaknesses."

In other words, "yes, it's a worry, but we hope we can fix him and I'm glad we didn't have to decide whether he was ready for the responsibility, focus, pressure and attention that would have come his way had he been taken at pick 1"!

That's spin that would make Shane Warne jealous.

To me Roos had a whack at people who criticise these young kids for being young kids and not these robotic personalities that people seem to think they should be right off the bat.

Yes Mick Ablett said he had to be spoken to about it early on but he then followed it up with having to give Christian credit for addressing those issues and his response to them.

Why thanks you.

It seems to be a continuing theme though, Boyd last year, Ablett twice this year, then his psych testing, where it's hard to hide these things.

When it came down to our choice, it's pretty clear that it played a pretty big part in the decision, as we did have to decide which one of the two we rated so closely would be best able to handle going at no.1 and all that entails and by the sounds of it it wasn't even a close race as far as all that goes, unfortunately. (I say unfortunately, because I would much prefer they both tested awesomely well, giving us more options).

Hopefully it works out well for all concerned though and I doubt very much that either club are disappointed with who they've gotten.

Last edited:

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully he can put it all together.

All I can say is that with my level of maturity at 18 I wouldn't have employed myself to mop floors, let alone play AFL football, so I'm in no position to judge.

Let's face it the saints didn't dodge a bullet with not going Petracca.
If it had been with any other pick in the draft then I would agree much more, but with pick 1, so much more comes along with it, as anyone who supports Melbourne ought to know full-well, so that's where things become a lot different. Going pick 1 can change how things turn out considerably.

Take Jack Watts for example. Had he gone at any pick other than 1, even if it was still to Melbourne, I dare say his career would have gone a hell of a lot better so far than it has, simply because he would have had an incredible amount less scrutiny and so-on for not having gone pick 1.

Not saying that Petracca is exactly like Jack Watts, because I don't believe he is, but if there are real maturity concerns and so-on, having been taken at pick 1 could have had a similarly negative impact on his career as going at pick 1 looks to have had on Watts and if it was a close call between him and McCartin, then it could have very easily tipped the scales his way.

I'm thinking they went the key forward option they saw just as promising. If he has a few attitude issues I'm sure being around Roos and the other coaches plus some experienced senior players will sort him out
I genuinely reckon it's turned out for the best this way, especially since Roos won't feel in any way rushed to wheel Petracca out before he's ready.

From a playing POV, he is a bloody ripper and I was spewing when I started to hear that he hadn't interviewed well, as I saw him as the clear top choice, even though we needed someone who plays key forward more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back