Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft Whispers on the AFL website makes for an interesting read. Has Wingard slipping to 6, Greene to Brissie at 8 with Tomlinson of serious interest to the Lions at 12, Crozier sliding beyond 20.

If I was to take a punt based on these rumours:

1. Patton
2. Coniglio
3. Tyson
4. Longer
5. Hoskin-Elliot
6. Wingard
7. Buntine
8. Greene
9. Sumner
10. Tomlinson
11. Adams
12. Paine
13. McInnes
14. Haynes
15. Kavanagh
16. Kersten
17. Talia
18. Ellis
19. Markworth
20. Mckenzie
21. Mitchell
22. Crozier
23. Lockyer
24. Manson
25. Bolger
26. Docherty

Draft Whispers on the AFL website makes for an interesting read. Has Wingard slipping to 6, Greene to Brissie at 8 with Tomlinson of serious interest to the Lions at 12, Crozier sliding beyond 20.

If I was to take a punt based on these rumours:

1. Patton
2. Coniglio
3. Tyson
4. Longer
5. Hoskin-Elliot
6. Wingard
7. Buntine
8. Greene
9. Sumner
10. Tomlinson
11. Adams
12. Paine
13. McInnes
14. Haynes
15. Kavanagh
16. Kersten
17. Talia
18. Ellis
19. Markworth
20. Mckenzie
21. Mitchell
22. Crozier
23. Lockyer
24. Manson
25. Bolger
26. Docherty

No Devon Smith?? or even Sam Frost!

I think Frost's value has been inflated. In Knightmare's draft he is at 36, Chris25's at 29, Snoop's at 27 and Foj1's at 17. So of the the four draft watchers who I like to draw from he is only rated as a top 20 prospect by 1, although some of the others have soft spots.

Smith's a tough one. I'd certainly expect him to go top 30 though, it's just hard to pin down where, thu he slips.

Docherty would have some concerns over him, mostly to do with decision making and kicking over shorter distances (something which is similiar to Jordan Russell, who will pick out targets from 50-55m away, but struggle with short passes).

McKenzie reads the play better and has a damn good boot, Markworth has better athletic attributes, which I think will appeal to Essendon and Ellis is a very complete package, I can see all of them going ahead of him in terms of Flanker types. Crozier is uber talented, Lockyer's a good fit for WCE, smart defender and a local, Manson's a gamble but has an awesome production so far and Bolger is a good fit for the Saints, smart ruckman, who is more than worth this pick.

All of this info is a result of PD watching and dredging the AFL website and the D+T board. I am not a junior watcher, but I do like compositing information and analysing what comes up. I have tried to match clubs and players which have been rumoured to be linked, while simulatneously finding other connections which could work out.

no doubt mate herein lies the rub. just getting the players and spotting the best is one thing. as you said development is another. would you agree the tiges drafting and development is better lately?

Drafting has been better but will have to wait on the development front. Lets see how your mid to late round picks go in a few years time. Also even if they are doing better it is always fun to take cheap shots at Richmond!!!

and our recruiting manager traded p26 for p32 and p34. I think its not quite as simple as weak after p30. Maybe its determined in how quick they will come to hand or how obvious their talent is?
I'll put Wells up against anyone , I bet he gets someone of worth with one of the picks
Solid post.
Not unlike the Burgoyne deal in 09 - you got pick 40 and 40-something for pick 30-something.
To me, it says he/they are confident there will be plenty of worthwhile kids around at pick 34.

If anyone really thinks there is going to be 30 good players in the draft; and they'll all go from 1-30 in perfect order, they live in a dream world. Far too subjective; far too many variables. Geelong are backing (like they did in 09) that a good kid or two will fall through (I know I was fair pissed we passed on Christensen at 33! - and ant555 said he'd be happy to pull the trigger with 9) .

with all due respect since fj has taken over our drafting has been pretty good. its probably more the development of our draftees more than the picks themselves that were lacking. and to be fair the dons arent immune to some mistakes just like all other clubs.
Look at 09 when Geelong made a similar move with their 2nd rounder:
I'm not convinced Richmond's influx (Martin, Astbury, Griffiths, Dea, Nason, Taylor - 1 gun, 2 gone, 3 look OK) are better as a group than Geelong's (Christensen, Cowan, Vardy, Menzel, Duncan + Pods - all 5 look pretty good).

And that was starting with pick 3 etc rather than 17; the other clubs are meant to be getting a push-start over the top sides.

Plus, there's always 12+ years (& 3 flags); compared to 3 or so for the Richmond bloke.

The man can do the job, no question!

Boseley going to freo didnt come from the paper, but i wouldnt say what a journalist has written in the paper to be clueless.

I dare say freo will take Ellis and Kersten with picks 16 and 20 respectivily and use 29 on a tall defender Boseley, Lockyer and Frost will all come under consideration.
Brisbane may pip Freo to Kersten @12

Solid post.
Not unlike the Burgoyne deal in 09 - you got pick 40 and 40-something for pick 30-something.
To me, it says he/they are confident there will be plenty of worthwhile kids around at pick 34.

If anyone really thinks there is going to be 30 good players in the draft; and they'll all go from 1-30 in perfect order, they live in a dream world. Far too subjective; far too many variables. Geelong are backing (like they did in 09) that a good kid or two will fall through (I know I was fair pissed we passed on Christensen at 33! - and ant555 said he'd be happy to pull the trigger with 9) .

I'm not convinced Richmond's influx (Martin, Astbury, Griffiths, Dea, Nason, Taylor - 1 gun, 2 gone, 3 look OK) are better as a group than Geelong's (Christensen, Cowan, Vardy, Menzel, Duncan + Pods - all 5 look pretty good).

And that was starting with pick 3 etc rather than 17; the other clubs are meant to be getting a push-start over the top sides.

Plus, there's always 12+ years (& 3 flags); compared to 3 or so for the Richmond bloke.

absolutely no doubt on the job he has done but to be fair its a bit easier for young players to slip into top teams than the reverse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

and our recruiting manager traded p26 for p32 and p34. I think its not quite as simple as weak after p30. Maybe its determined in how quick they will come to hand or how obvious their talent is?
I'll put Wells up against anyone , I bet he gets someone of worth with one of the picks

Yeah righteo. Do you want another parade?

Kane Mitchell, a mature age (~23) midfielder from Claremont, has had an interview with Essendon recently. Another mature age rookie success story??

Kane Mitchell, a mature age (~23) midfielder from Claremont, has had an interview with Essendon recently. Another mature age rookie success story??

I definitely think mitchell will easily make the grade. Think he's a better player than howlett and howlett has done quite well with essendon. From memory mitchell also posted a sub 3 second sprint time and a 15+ beep test when tested.

I definitely think mitchell will easily make the grade. Think he's a better player than howlett and howlett has done quite well with essendon. From memory mitchell also posted a sub 3 second sprint time and a 15+ beep test when tested.

Just looked it up.

Mitchell did a 2.86sec 20m meter sprint and 16.2 beep test!! sign the man up!

I dont think there would be many teams interested in him, cant be more than 4 and id say probably only one team before Essendon recently, so they must be right in the mix to pick him up and have stated they may look at some older,mature players for the rookie draft.

Good athlete, size worries and kicking worries for me. Better than Howlett at WAFL level but not AFL level IMO.

I dont think there would be many teams interested in him, cant be more than 4 and id say probably only one team before Essendon recently, so they must be right in the mix to pick him up and have stated they may look at some older,mature players for the rookie draft.

Good athlete, size worries and kicking worries for me. Better than Howlett at WAFL level but not AFL level IMO.

Spot on. His kicking is a real concern.

It completley depends on the circumstances. For the last 3 years its been nearly impossible for any youngster to break into Geelong's defense

well taylor did. but yes i see your point but they have added some juniors thru the midfield and fwd to great effect. you cant tell me that playing in a top team is harder than coming into a poor team.

well taylor did. but yes i see your point but they have added some juniors thru the midfield and fwd to great effect. you cant tell me that playing in a top team is harder than coming into a poor team.

Taylor was drafted because Matt Egan had a fractured navacular(?). When Egan wasn't recovering a spot in the side opened up. He was also a mature aged recruit, not an 18 y/o fresh out of the Tac cup or what have you.

absolutely no doubt on the job he has done but to be fair its a bit easier for young players to slip into top teams than the reverse.
Disagree entirely so there we go.
I think it's easier for them to learn & develop, by having those better, experienced players set a mark to live up to (and no doubt consistent, quality coaching message as well); but I think it's a lot harder to push past (and stay past) a Milburn/Mooney/Wojo for a gig than Nason/erm/err...

If you wanted games, and games only; right now you'd go straight to GWS or GC; not Coll/Geelong.

Solid post.

Just wanted to pull you up Slatts because I know you can get carried away, let's not be so short-sighted as to suggest that these two groups have anywhere near proven themselves either way. Nason and Taylor were pure speculation and taken very late.

Astbury and Griff are both key position (and have dealt with a number of injuries to date) and obviously take far longer to impact - particularly compared to outside runners that can be finishers for teams with absolute class on the inside.

In terms of rumors, I have heard Leigh Williams (Norwood EFL) has spoken with Port Adelaide. This was a couple of months ago and may have been reported but he has a link there with Daniel Stewart also from Norwood. He played there as a junior before he moved up to QLD and subsequently onto Port's list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back