Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Just wanted to pull you up Slatts because I know you can get carried away, let's not be so short-sighted as to suggest that these two groups have anywhere near proven themselves either way. Nason and Taylor were pure speculation and taken very late.
No, I haven't suggested they're proven.
More that a couple of the Richmond guys are gone and hence the complete opposite of proven, while the geelong kids are (largely) looking OK-good.
The benefit of the doubt is going Wells' way though.

{Taylor wasn't that late, only 50 IIRC.}

I think that is a point in itself though, Richmond have gone after quite a few 'speculative' picks.
Geelong don't seem to. They might get guys who don't quite come up to the mark - guys like Davenport, Prismall, Callan & so on - and Cowan, et al might end up there, but their genuine busts are few & far between.

Richmond have plenty, two alone already from this draft. And spots haven't exaclty been hard to retain.

The rest I agree with.

Just wanted to pull you up Slatts because I know you can get carried away, let's not be so short-sighted as to suggest that these two groups have anywhere near proven themselves either way. Nason and Taylor were pure speculation and taken very late.

Astbury and Griff are both key position (and have dealt with a number of injuries to date) and obviously take far longer to impact - particularly compared to outside runners that can be finishers for teams with absolute class on the inside.

In terms of rumors, I have heard Leigh Williams (Norwood EFL) has spoken with Port Adelaide. This was a couple of months ago and may have been reported but he has a link there with Daniel Stewart also from Norwood. He played there as a junior before he moved up to QLD and subsequently onto Port's list.

I would be very surprised if Port go for a full forward with Butcher and Shulz already entrenched, Stewart and Westhoff as the third tall and needing to squeeze in a second ruck for some forward time now with Renouf at the club (and Redden showing good signs up forward). .

Disagree entirely so there we go.
I think it's easier for them to learn & develop, by having those better, experienced players set a mark to live up to (and no doubt consistent, quality coaching message as well); but I think it's a lot harder to push past (and stay past) a Milburn/Mooney/Wojo for a gig than Nason/erm/err...

If you wanted games, and games only; right now you'd go straight to GWS or GC; not Coll/Geelong.

im not talking about getting games or going past other players im saying they would play better in better sides. and typical couldnt help yourself by picking nason. low fruit mate!

im not talking about getting games or going past other players im saying they would play better in better sides.
You said "slip into", I took that to mean "get in the team"... ie, get games. An understandable mistake, no?

and typical couldnt help yourself by picking nason. low fruit mate!
Read 'fringe player' - feel free to substitute anyone you want. (Farmer/White/Webberley/Connors/arguably Grigg/arguably Tuck/etc...)
Richmond's list is somewhere below average for strength/depth, and those guys are the reason why.
Geelong's way way way way above, and keeping a Hunt/Milburn/Wojo/Mooney out most weeks is the reason why.

In terms of rumors, I have heard Leigh Williams (Norwood EFL) has spoken with Port Adelaide. This was a couple of months ago and may have been reported but he has a link there with Daniel Stewart also from Norwood. He played there as a junior before he moved up to QLD and subsequently onto Port's list.

Daniel Stewart was recruited from North Adelaide, facts are ... you know ... kinda important.

Daniel Stewart was recruited from North Adelaide, facts are ... you know ... kinda important.

They were talking about his time pre SANFL days I think you will find Asgardian. I.e. suggesting that he played for norwood in the EFL before heading to QLD (Labrador) and then the SANFL (North).

It still doesn't seem to be correct anyway.

According to his wiki page he played for Eastern Ranges before heading off to Labrador. Or did he play for Norwood (EFL) in between somewhere?

They were talking about his time pre SANFL days I think you will find Asgardian. I.e. suggesting that he played for norwood in the EFL before heading to QLD (Labrador) and then the SANFL (North).

It still doesn't seem to be correct anyway.

According to his wiki page he played for Eastern Ranges before heading off to Labrador. Or did he play for Norwood (EFL) in between somewhere?
Ranges is rep footy, Norwood (EFL) is definitely in the Eastern zone.
Entirely possible (I know not) that Eastern picked him from Norwood.

Ranges is rep footy, Norwood (EFL) is definitely in the Eastern zone.
Entirely possible (I know not) that Eastern picked him from Norwood.

Yes this is the case, Stewart went to a local high school and played his junior footy at Norwood (EFL) before being picked to represent the Eastern Ranges. Sam Blease played his junior footy at Norwood too.

Agree that Williams probably isn't what Port are after but he is a massive cut above EFL level which is a very solid standard. I would think he needs to play some VFL footy though first before being picked up.

Williams is too big to EFL. Needs to prove himself in a higher standard before being picked up IMO, but he's attracted enough attention for VFL with his form for Norwood.

I would be very surprised if Port go for a full forward with Butcher and Shulz already entrenched, Stewart and Westhoff as the third tall and needing to squeeze in a second ruck for some forward time now with Renouf at the club (and Redden showing good signs up forward). .

Norwood in the eastern football league?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah righteo. Do you want another parade?

Yes please , can I have one with the girls with the twirly sticks and few old blokes in a council band with trombones and trumpets.

Mate ,all Im saying is the draft is not a cliff , we once it gets to 30 the talent drops off like a lemming. Once it gets to that marks list management is a consideration and there will be some kids that just don't suit some clubs list at this time but end up being AFL players. Some clubs need players now , other can be more long sighted.

Some players may well be high risk , high reward others may seem just role players , smallish mid's and project rucks but in the end , they all are all just another topping in the draft pizza. Just today I was reading that the kid Bootsma now looks like being an R1 player. Maybe the perception on draft depth is more about picking the low hanging fruit than whether there really is a lot of fruit on the tree.

Also Two xtra rookie spots for AFL clubs in 2012 , with the Introduction of Greater Western Sydney
Interesting.

I wonder if they have also changed the number of rookies you can nominate for full year (in lieu of veterans) and mid year for senior service.

Yes please , can I have one with the girls with the twirly sticks and few old blokes in a council band with trombones and trumpets.

Mate ,all Im saying is the draft is not a cliff , we once it gets to 30 the talent drops off like a lemming. Once it gets to that marks list management is a consideration and there will be some kids that just don't suit some clubs list at this time but end up being AFL players. Some clubs need players now , other can be more long sighted.

Some players may well be high risk , high reward others may seem just role players , smallish mid's and project rucks but in the end , they all are all just another topping in the draft pizza. Just today I was reading that the kid Bootsma now looks like being an R1 player. Maybe the perception on draft depth is more about picking the low hanging fruit than whether there really is a lot of fruit on the tree.

Yep, agree with that. I'm hoping we find a decent player at 55, for eg.

We'll assess in a few years, but clearly very few teams are keen to overexpose to this draft

pretty much generally accepted, but have heard GWS have flown adams to breaky point, and have been in constant communication with him. he's under the impression he is going there from their talks. like I said not the most juicy rumour, and wasnt even going to bother sharing, but some recent phantoms have GWS letting him through so thought people may be interested. this may have changed but as far as im aware it hasnt yet.

pretty much generally accepted, but have heard GWS have flown adams to breaky point, and have been in constant communication with him. he's under the impression he is going there from their talks. like I said not the most juicy rumour, and wasnt even going to bother sharing, but some recent phantoms have GWS letting him through so thought people may be interested. this may have changed but as far as im aware it hasnt yet.
I think it's an interesting rumour. He seems a good fit for Port Adelaide to me, so if GWS are to guarantee securing him, they will have to use a top 5 pick on him. No one has predicted that to happen yet.

So many players are linked with GWS so its so hard to say. Haynes seems like he has pushed into top 14 certainty and even apparently Brisbane will consider at 12 now. Emma Q thinks the doggies will target Crozier but she reckons he will be gone by than and Richmond, Freo arnt keen at picks 15 and 16 so is he a risk GWS are looking to take and a player they can see play that small forward role.

It also seems to be leaning of the way that GWS will now bank on Longer getting past pick 6 from port now and will try steal him at 7 while taking 4 very good mids with first 5 leaving Port with maybe a WHE, Buntine, Adams player. Wingard will go top 5 if Longer isnt picked i dare say.

This draft is really up in the air and players have massive ranges, i just hope GWS take some talls with 11 picks, hopefully 5 at least 4.

I think one player that people have going to high and myself now is Mcinnes he is a typical BF beat up player that not many would know about and have just put him top 15 because he is more a ready made type and has been pumped up on here.

I think it tends to be clubs that bow out after 30 have sort of spun that line to their punters (much like the old 'we got the kids we rated #1, #2, #3...' and 'best available and oh, just happened to fill a need, how convenient').
Regular grain of salt required.

I tend to think there will be enough bolters into that top group to see some pretty good kids drop past ~30; and given how few clubs look like going past the 30s-40s there will actually be a fair strike rate down that bottom end.

Remove this Banner Ad

Draft rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Back