draft top 10 - who do they remind you of

Remove this Banner Ad

worthy

Cancelled
Nov 5, 2004
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
just wondering from those that have seen these guys play.
what current or past afl players do those picked top 10 remind you of.

worthy said:
just wondering from those that have seen these guys play.
what current or past afl players do those picked top 10 remind you of.
I'll give you the Hawks ones.

Roughead - Croad/Penny
Franklin - Goodes
Lewis - Waters

leonmagic said:
I've heard Egan being compared to O'Loughlin a few times by actual experts, eg. Sheehan (Kevin, not Mike obviously).
Egan might have a bit more leap on him than O'Loughlin but it a good comparison

Deledio - Adem Yze
Roughead - David Schwarz
Griffen - Lenny Hayes
Tambling - Peter Matera
Franklin - Jared Brennan
Williams - Trent Croad
Lewis - Cameron Ling
Meesen - Darren Jolly
Russell - Robert Murphy
Egan - Xavier Clarke

soapy said:
Deledio - Adem Yze
Roughead - David Schwarz
Griffen - Lenny Hayes
Tambling - Peter Matera
Franklin - Jared Brennan
Williams - Trent Croad
Lewis - Cameron Ling
Meesen - Darren Jolly
Russell - Robert Murphy
Egan - Xavier Clarke

Griffen must be good then! :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snickers said:
I get the feeling Griffen has been underrated (as in not much said about him), very much like Lenny.

He is not underrated what so ever. He is widly consitered the most likly to become a superstar out of the lot. Along with the abilty to play very good football in his first year.

If Egan is like Xavier Clarke he's going to need a lot of work.
Jordan Russell I hope turns out more like Nigel Lappin than Robert Murphy.
According to the "experts" Meeson's more like Charman or even Troy Simmonds if the claims that he can play forward are true.
Burley Griffin description by Wisbey likens him to Buckley.

Bentleigh said:
He is not underrated what so ever. He is widly consitered the most likly to become a superstar out of the lot. Along with the abilty to play very good football in his first year.
Compared to the talk and the hype around Deledio and Tambling there hasnt been much said . All i hear on this boards are about Deledio and Tambling, the Bulldogs supporters stay quiet about Griffen, (which is fine) so therefore not much has been said really.

Snickers said:
Compared to the talk and the hype around Deledio and Tambling there hasnt been much said . All i hear on this boards are about Deledio and Tambling, the Bulldogs supporters stay quiet about Griffen, (which is fine) so therefore not much has been said really.

There has been alot of talk about the kid. He was easily a top 3 pick, close to no. 1. If you believe what you read on these boards 14 odd clubs had him as their no. 1 choice in this draft.

Do a serch for 'Ryan Griffin, the perfect footballer' and tell me if ya reckon he hasnt been talked about.

OldSchool said:
Egan might have a bit more leap on him than O'Loughlin but it a good comparison

O'Loughlin might have had a bit more leap on him when he was 17yo too - before chronic knee tendonitis set in.

sinepari said:
Full marks for wishfull thinking. Im not quite sure if he is a judd!

Deledio moves a lot like Judd, and has that explosive pace
He won't be the pack breaker that Judd is though, his deficiency at draft camp was in the contact drills. He's not a receiver, but no Coughlan either.

He'll end up being a lot bigger than Judd too, he's 188cm/81kg at 17, Judd is 189cm/82kg at 21.

Snickers said:
I get the feeling Griffen has been underrated (as in not much said about him), very much like Lenny.
I agree with Bentleigh, Griffen was far from underrated and the Bulldogs can thank the Hawks for going into the draft looking for KPP rather than the best available. Huge mistake imo.
Griffen was close to being the best player but because Deledio might grown into a KPP he was rated slightly ahead. I think Griffen might actually end up a bit better player than Hayes and I know that's a big statement but he is an excellent talent. If he ends as good then he will be great for us but I just have the feeling he will be a bit better.

I think its very possible we end up with a Deledio-Roughead-Griffen situation very similar to the Hodge-Ball-Judd of 2001
Only difference being that this year they were pretty different players. Hard to compare a Roughead to a Ball or even a Griffen for that matter

Griffen may not have had the long term injury concerns of Judd (I know his knee wasn't right at draft camp), but it would look like Griffen is the most likely to be a 200+ gamer of the lot, its just that Deledio probably has more scope for superstar status, which is why Griffen slipped to 3. Every chance he'll end up as the pick of the bunch though and in a few years everyone will be wondering why Richmond passed on a player considered by many to be the best at the time.

I certainly hope not though. Chances of both Dildo & Tambo not making it are pretty slim though so I'm sure we'll end up looking good out of it all.

Bentleigh said:
There has been alot of talk about the kid. He was easily a top 3 pick, close to no. 1. If you believe what you read on these boards 14 odd clubs had him as their no. 1 choice in this draft.

Do a serch for 'Ryan Griffin, the perfect footballer' and tell me if ya reckon he hasnt been talked about.
All im saying is...... has there been more talk about deledio or griffen??
DELEDIO.
Thats all i said, so stop following me around on each post i make and bagging me for having a say at what i believe in ok, Bentleigh.

Only cause he was touted as the most likely #1 pick in all the mass-media coverage leading up to the draft
Its the same every year
Just because anywhere from 3 to 10 clubs thought Griffen was better doesn't change the fact that he wasn't likely to go #1

Remove this Banner Ad

draft top 10 - who do they remind you of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back