draft top 10 - who do they remind you of

Remove this Banner Ad

Bentleigh said:
I think you will find that was a differnt board, champ.

Every club has done well and made mistakes. We Cogs at about 25.

Tambling was widly regarded as a top 2 pick.

Can't say I agree. Look at plough's recruiting record at the doggies it's not real flash is it?

there is very little on record to suggest that Richmond's recruiting prowess is anything of note. As much I love Plough as a coach, his record is poor when it comes to drafting.

Of course time will tell, but I'd be a little nervous if I was a tiges supporter, not attacking others.

Bentleigh said:
Media & Hawk fans.

Hawks didnt think he was worth pick 2.
You are making your judgements by what people are saying on boards and what the media says? No wonder you don't know what you're talking about. You say Tambling was regarded to go at 2... well franklin was thought to be the number 1 pick for most of the year aswell...

Crow-mosone said:
Can't say I agree. Look at plough's recruiting record at the doggies it's not real flash is it?

there is very little on record to suggest that Richmond's recruiting prowess is anything of note. As much I love Plough as a coach, his record is poor when it comes to drafting.

Of course time will tell, but I'd be a little nervous if I was a tiges supporter, not attacking others.

Im quite happy with Ploughs drafting record. The likes of Lindsay Gilbee & Robert Murphy are very good players. He got the club from 15th to a PF. Immence record. Thus the Hawks were so keen for him.

Going by las draft im rather pleased about the ovall result. I think you'll find most Tiger supporters are optimistic aboutt he future, as we should be.

Crow-mosone said:

Unlike the most recent draft there was 3 standout players; Nick Riewoldt, Justin Koschitzke & Alan Didak. Riewoldt was similar to Cooney & Deledio as the clear no.1 draft pick when it came to draft day. And thus was taken at 2. Luke Livingston, Dylan Smith, Kayne Pettifer top 10 picks.

While Didak at that stage was highly rated Kosi was selected by Saints at 2. Id be inclined to agree with'theorangeapple;

actually, after listening to the hawks officals on draft day they seemed to emhpasise they deliberatley went tall not on quality. they kept drawing a comparision with the saints with riewoldt + kosi which i find worrying as they were the standout players (didak pretty close). different scenario here IMO.

cschreuder61 said:
You are making your judgements by what people are saying on boards and what the media says? No wonder you don't know what you're talking about. You say Tambling was regarded to go at 2... well franklin was thought to be the number 1 pick for most of the year aswell...

I beleive Egan was pinned very highly at the start of the year also...

Bentleigh said:
Im quite happy with Ploughs drafting record. The likes of Lindsay Gilbee & Robert Murphy are very good players. He got the club from 15th to a PF. Immence record. Thus the Hawks were so keen for him.

Wallace's recruiting record at the Bulldogs was ordinary and he has admitted as much himself.

People forget that Wallace played a key role in the side that finished 15th in 1996 also, even if -- in fairness -- the side was plagued by injury and internal dispute. Nonetheless, the Wallace myth overlooks the fact that Alan Joyce had got the Bulldogs into the 1994 & 1995 finals prior to that injury crisis.

Unlike the most recent draft there was 3 standout players

Yes, in the last draft there were 5 players considered standouts, so I'd say it was different :rolleyes:

Bentleigh said:
Great that you can be so unbiased about things. Just about everybody in Australia concedes that Wallet drafted poorly at the Dogs and left the list in pretty bad shape when he walked out on them. Except Bentleigh :rolleyes: . Gilbee and Murphy are good players, their young midfield brigade looked OK. The reason though their list was considered so poor was they had no KPP's. Sound familiar? Poor old nathan Brown must be suffering the worst case of deja vu at the moment.

Bentleigh said:
Riewoldt was similar to Cooney & Deledio as the clear no.1 draft pick when it came to draft day.
Riewoldt was always considered a shoo in for the #1 pick so is not similar to Deledio at all. Franklin was touted as the #1 pick most of the year, at least 7 clubs would have taken Griffen at #1 ,and their was even talk that Tambling might get taken at #1 by the Tigers.
Hardly head-and-shoulders above the rest like Riewoldt I'd say.

Riewoldt was not actually a shoe in for the #1 spot, Saint recruiters have actually said that they were always going to take those two with the first two picks, but chose Reiwoldt at #1 because they felt he had the temperament to handle the pressure a lot more than Kosi.

OneEyedHawk said:
Riewoldt was always considered a shoo in for the #1 pick so is not similar to Deledio at all. Franklin was touted as the #1 pick most of the year, at least 7 clubs would have taken Griffen at #1 ,and their was even talk that Tambling might get taken at #1 by the Tigers.
Hardly head-and-shoulders above the rest like Riewoldt I'd say.

Actully mate Kosi was rated very highly by the Saints. I remember them saying Roo was taken ahead of him due to being able to take the presure.

Josh Fraser was touted for the no.1 though out the entire year. It doesnt mean shyte.

Bentleigh said:
Josh Fraser was touted for the no.1 though out the entire year. It doesnt mean shyte.

So why do you constantly spout crap about Lewis and Roughead being taken higher than where they were "rated"?

You just keep making yourself look more and more a jizz gobbler...

Hodge_is_God said:
So why do you constantly spout crap about Lewis and Roughead being taken higher than where they were "rated"?

You just keep making yourself look more and more a jizz gobbler...

Being rated no.1 for the latter 3 months of the season or for the entire year doesnt mean shyte.

Rated not a first rounder by several experts and being taken @ 7 is a worry.

wtf is a jizz gobbler :confused:

Bentleigh said:
Being rated no.1 for the latter 3 months of the season or for the entire year doesnt mean shyte.

Kevin Sheahan told me he didn't think Lewis was taken too early at all. Said he had him definately in his top dozen and that Port were super keen on him at #11,who in his words "are always an excellent judge of cattle". Think I'll take his word over a 'jizz gobbler' like you.
Ask around, the term fits you to a T. :D

Bentleigh said:

It's a shame you've been banned from the Hawthorn board. Making you look like a fool is becomming an increasingly enjoyable (and simple) past-time. :)

Keep up that post count Bentboy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is Bentleigh still around? Haven't seen his name for ages.
Interesting reading back through that. I'd say there are still very big question marks over Tambling and Roughead. Deledio, and to a lesser extent Franklin have already proven why they were such early picks. However, its way too early to judge. We need to give them 70 games each and then we can start to opine. I think both Bling and Roughy will play 150+ games, the difference will be whether one or both can become superstars as opposed to good league players.

duckboy said:
Is Bentleigh still around? Haven't seen his name for ages.
Interesting reading back through that. I'd say there are still very big question marks over Tambling and Roughead. Deledio, and to a lesser extent Franklin have already proven why they were such early picks. However, its way too early to judge. We need to give them 70 games each and then we can start to opine. I think both Bling and Roughy will play 150+ games, the difference will be whether one or both can become superstars as opposed to good league players.

He uses another a username now. MVFC.

F-U said:
Lance Franklin is similiar to Tarrant in looks, but as far as talent goes... Tarrant is miles ahead. Franklin is a very overrated player. The only reason he went so early was because he was the only real full forward in the draft. Any other draft and he would of went around 30 if lucky..

Good call! I reckon Worsfold would give up his left nut for Franklin.

be interesting to see if the hawks are again into taking the best big man with their first and maybe second picks. Just for interest sake I would like to see them build a side based around the 4 best young talls they could get their hands on, then fill the rest in with later draft picks and trades for midfielders.

stefoid said:
be interesting to see if the hawks are again into taking the best big man with their first and maybe second picks. Just for interest sake I would like to see them build a side based around the 4 best young talls they could get their hands on, then fill the rest in with later draft picks and trades for midfielders.
yeah i think they'll do just that. take two big kids again. we have an ok midfield developing, is easier to get that up and running once you have talls rather than the other way around. although I wouldn't mind a griffen or deledio in this years draft to go with franklin and roughead ;). But no one that standard is available. So hopefully we get two of Kennedy, Clark, Ryder.

Remove this Banner Ad

draft top 10 - who do they remind you of

Remove this Banner Ad

Back