Mega Thread Draftees Vent Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: I am just going to say what everyone is thinking.

Very very very risky making a call this early on who will be the better player, despite what seems obvious right now. Countless examples of guys who started like a house on fire then ended up not being the best from their draft.

Take Rhys Palmer and Mark Coughlan, brilliant early on, injuries crueled them. Palmer obviously is still around, but won't be the best from his draft like many predicted earlier.

A few years ago there was talk of Pendlebury vs Higgins. Higgins was considered a far better prospect, a quick and dangerous goal kicking mid. Fast forward a few years and Pendles is a top 10 player in the comp. From the same draft, if you ask who people would prefer of Ryder and Dale Thomas, you would have been laughed at for saying Thomas. He is miles ahead now. Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley were rated well below Gumbleton and Hansen early on, after 2010, Gumbleton and Hansen are lingering around average, while Riewoldt and Frawley are both All Australians.

Kozchitzke was meant to be the next big thing after early form, now he's mediocre and guys who weren't rated that highly such as Didak, Shaun Burgoyne and Daniel Kerr are all premiership players.

Jarred Brennan from 2002 had the potential to be anything they said. Goddard didn't start too well, then in 2010 Goddard was a top 3 player in the comp and Brennan was sent to the Gold Coast. Daniel Wells at pick 2 was written off as an unfulfilled player a couple of years ago. Look at him this year.

I'm not saying Heppell won't be a gun, I'm just saying it's far too early to start saying we mucked up, because calls like these have the potential to look pretty silly in 5 years time, no matter what it seems like now.

Hahaha, absolute least of our worries.

We weren't the only club that disregarded both Heppell and Darling.

Darling is a troublemaker, we didn't like his character and neither did any other club, he was touted as a top five pick based on footballing ability. He eventually went for pick 26, why do you think that is? Someone was willing to take a punt.

Heppell, he had problems with OP in his teen years, this put a few clubs off except Essendon, who's doctor treated Dyson as a 16 year old. Their doctor assured the Bombers the young kid would be okay.

It's easy to make these harsh calls when you don't know the important facts.

I suggest you don't allow your emotion after another loss to take over your judgment.

PS: I think Bachelor has been a very big win from last year's draft, whilst Helbig and Conca both have potential.

troy Taylor says hi

U didnt read what i wrote. I never said Conca will be no good, just stating the facts. He wont be as good as Heppell. No club had Conca in the top 15.
Move on. just another stuff up.

Yes I did read what you posted, I'm wondering if you read my reply. Heppell plays in a side that is performing much better than ours as such he is naturally going to look much better than Conca currently does. My suggestion is we give them both 3 years and come back and then see where they stand.

Troy Taylor was a 4th round pick.

To get Darling we would have had to use pick 6. Would you want to take that risk, that early in the draft? Risk-benefit for me is a no.

Troy Taylor was a fringe pick, how many guys make it after pick 50? We took a shot, it didn't work out, what else can ya do?

Not many guys make it after pick 50 but using pick 16 which was the tambling pick is not pick six and why was tom lynch bypassed when prior to the draft he was being touted as top 4?

Using the character excuse for darling highlights the problems with our drafting. why did we even consider a kid who had an assault charge hanging over him at pick 50 or 60 or 70 for that matter.

Not many guys make it after pick 50 but using pick 16 which was the tambling pick is not pick six and why was tom lynch bypassed when prior to the draft he was being touted as top 4?

Using the character excuse for darling highlights the problems with our drafting. why did we even consider a kid who had an assault charge hanging over him at pick 50 or 60 or 70 for that matter.

Are you sure it would've been pick 16? I thought it would have been later than that.

Why do RFC not think our recruiters are a problem. Who are they are accountable to
They will have another sacked coach within 12 months. The recruiters last longer than the coaches

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LoL mate you have no idea at all...

Our compensation pick if activated would of been right before our second round pick which was pick 31 Darling was taken with pick 26, there is a video of FJ saying directly after the ND that had one of Lycett or Darling lasted to our second round pick they would of picked one of them, as it was both went before our second round pick and both went before our compensation pick so we were never in the running at drafting Darling or Lycett.

Keep slinging that shit though, every now and then some of it might stick. :thumbsdown:

I think our draftees are going perfectly fine, i would've just preferred we picked up 7-8 instead of 5. I already think Batchelor, Conca and Helbig will be permanent fixtures in our AFL line-up from next year and wouldn't be suprised if Derickx and MacDonald find a way to break into the line-up next year as well. I'm just annoyed we could've had a couple more players forcing their way into the team if we had of drafted more players last year.

LoL mate you have no idea at all...

Our compensation pick if activated would of been right before our second round pick which was pick 31 Darling was taken with pick 26, there is a video of FJ saying directly after the ND that had one of Lycett or Darling lasted to our second round pick they would of picked one of them, as it was both went before our second round pick and both went before our compensation pick so we were never in the running at drafting Darling or Lycett.

Keep slinging that shit though, every now and then some of it might stick. :thumbsdown:

I stand corrected maybe this draft period we will go out to right field and outsmart the other clubs, JON says hi

Very very very risky making a call this early on who will be the better player, despite what seems obvious right now. Countless examples of guys who started like a house on fire then ended up not being the best from their draft.

Take Rhys Palmer and Mark Coughlan, brilliant early on, injuries crueled them. Palmer obviously is still around, but won't be the best from his draft like many predicted earlier.

A few years ago there was talk of Pendlebury vs Higgins. Higgins was considered a far better prospect, a quick and dangerous goal kicking mid. Fast forward a few years and Pendles is a top 10 player in the comp. From the same draft, if you ask who people would prefer of Ryder and Dale Thomas, you would have been laughed at for saying Thomas. He is miles ahead now. Jack Riewoldt and James Frawley were rated well below Gumbleton and Hansen early on, after 2010, Gumbleton and Hansen are lingering around average, while Riewoldt and Frawley are both All Australians.

Kozchitzke was meant to be the next big thing after early form, now he's mediocre and guys who weren't rated that highly such as Didak, Shaun Burgoyne and Daniel Kerr are all premiership players.

Jarred Brennan from 2002 had the potential to be anything they said. Goddard didn't start too well, then in 2010 Goddard was a top 3 player in the comp and Brennan was sent to the Gold Coast. Daniel Wells at pick 2 was written off as an unfulfilled player a couple of years ago. Look at him this year.

I'm not saying Heppell won't be a gun, I'm just saying it's far too early to start saying we mucked up, because calls like these have the potential to look pretty silly in 5 years time, no matter what it seems like now.

Thank god for some reasonable thoughts. Look at Murphy from Carton also; many people thought he would be a 'good honest footballer' and not much more, as recently as last year! It takes time, and we won't really know the answer to this one for five to ten years.

Heppell, he had problems with OP in his teen years, this put a few clubs off except Essendon, who's doctor treated Dyson as a 16 year old. Their doctor assured the Bombers the young kid would be okay.

Yeah, in fact, the Essendon doctor assured them he never had OP. That was what other clubs were wary of, since he had issues in that region in his youth. The fact was it was actually a hip issue (from memory, I think) and the Ess doctor had this 'inside information' if you like. At least, that's how it has been reported of recent, who knows how factually correct it actually is.

I stand corrected maybe this draft period we will go out to right field and outsmart the other clubs, JON says hi

How is Conca out of left field? The only reason why this kid wasn't even spoken about by the media was because he didn't attend the draft camp due to injury.

I still don't get why people keep judging these kids even though the amount of times people get it wrong, even at the start of this year people were saying Rance and Vickery were duds, yet fast forward 6 months and Rance is everyone's favourite player who is holding down the FB position at 21 and people now hitching a ride on the Vickery bandwagon even though everyone was calling him a dud.

Heck even throw in Nahas who is having his best year to date and has been consistently good this year.

I think it's time people stopped judging these kids so harshly especially considering how hard the AFL environment is these days with the Zone press and fitness required.

If anyone wants a laugh have a look at a few threads from the WCE board last year and see how many idiots were writing off there kids and now all of a sudden they are superstars.

If only all these geniuses could have told FJ to draft Heppell. It certainly doesn't hurt playing for Essendon. His profile is way beyond his ability. He's had a good year but so has Conca. But yeah, we know for sure that Heppell is going to be a better player than Conca.:cool:

Offensively Heppell has looked good off the HB but ATM that's not what we need. We already have Newman, Deledio, Houli down there to provide drive out of defense. We needed a more defensive minded HBF that could actually play on someone, therefore we chose Batchelor. IMO Batch has shown some seriously good signs being 3rd man to a lot of contests as well as driving the ball out of defense with good kicking.

How is Conca out of left field? The only reason why this kid wasn't even spoken about by the media was because he didn't attend the draft camp due to injury.

I still don't get why people keep judging these kids even though the amount of times people get it wrong, even at the start of this year people were saying Rance and Vickery were duds, yet fast forward 6 months and Rance is everyone's favourite player who is holding down the FB position at 21 and people now hitching a ride on the Vickery bandwagon even though everyone was calling him a dud.

Heck even throw in Nahas who is having his best year to date and has been consistently good this year.

I think it's time people stopped judging these kids so harshly especially considering how hard the AFL environment is these days with the Zone press and fitness required.

If anyone wants a laugh have a look at a few threads from the WCE board last year and see how many idiots were writing off there kids and now all of a sudden they are superstars.

Never called Ty a dud. :thumbsu: Called Rance one plenty of times though:eek::eek:

The lack of senior players capable of contributing is what is hurting us. Whether or not, that also hurts the development of the kids is another issue.

WC fans were mostly attacking the Eagles' under performing seniors, not so much the kids.

Remove this Banner Ad

Mega Thread Draftees Vent Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back