Multiplat Dragon Age: The Veilguard

Remove this Banner Ad

Have yet to watch the gameplay trailer (weekend plan) but from what I've read if you were hoping for Dragon Age: Origins 2 you'll be disappointed, but if you like the idea of fantasy Mass Effect 2, then you'll probably like it.

The division in medieval era is more what was being stated and what I generally felt watching it at 1am...

This is to say "stay in cover wherever possible and treat it as an FPS" as you know, a lot rides on the narrative to make this a compelling experience as I can see this getting a purchase and hard dropped after like the first week.

I'd be wary of reading too much into those, this is the latest thing to catch the ire of the incel culture warriors

That shit is so weird.

I saw them moaning about the Perfect Dark and Fable character models. If they don't find them f#%kable, they hate the whole game. It's very weird.

That shit is so weird.

I saw them moaning about the Perfect Dark and Fable character models. If they don't find them f#%kable, they hate the whole game. It's very weird.

It's bloody tiring and unfortunately increasingly common. So many brain rotted individuals who have to dedicate their entire existence to being outraged over anything that doesn't perfectly suit their ideals.

Hades 2 is praised to no end as a game and yet the steam forums are full of people crying about it being 'woke'.

Some positive comments in regards to the skill tree and those into min/maxing. Also referring to ME as an ARPG is so far saying the right things. Even if the game style has drifted away from Origins it doesn't mean it still can't be a good game which is why at those stage I'm still keeping an open mind.

Some positive comments in regards to the skill tree and those into min/maxing. Also referring to ME as an ARPG is so far saying the right things. Even if the game style has drifted away from Origins it doesn't mean it still can't be a good game which is why at those stage I'm still keeping an open mind.

I didn't like the FFX sphere grid stuff, as to me that meant you start different, get to middle and in the end everyone is the same as everyone else and you just wasted time and effort in the end. The FF12 Zodiak is just lol, you can really OP build some peeps in that version that shit on the base version.

Really with DA:I, I figured they'd go more into "options" for core character to diverge, as that was more just hamstrung development that it just lacked, so good to know this has more in that space.

Change the name from dreadwolf to Veilguard to focus on the party you put together. It’s all about the party!!!!!!

Then proceed to

- drop said party limit from 4 to 3

- give player the least amount of control over the party seen in a dragon age game

That game play looked terrible. Sure it
Might be because it’s early in the game but that’s what they chose to “sell” the game play.

It’s like they give dragon age fans less of what they want each time they make a new game

Personally loved Origins/Inquisition so this isn't giving me good vibes. I don't like the more cartoony character/world design. I liked the open world maps so the areas here seem cramped and railroad, the combat under developed. After BG3 my standards for party based RPG's has gone up and at a glance this falling well below that. I'll still give it a chance.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think I'll already be playing some other new releases around then but at least I can see what others think about it first. I'm not expecting much anymore but I really do hope it's decent enough.
What else is coming in October?

What else is coming in October?

Silent Hill and A Quiet Place are October. This month I'll probably grab Wukong and if Star Wars Outlaws goes well I'll jump into that straight after which will likely take me into October. Frostpunk 2 is also on my radar and Starfield Shattered Space DLC is rumoured to drop around then as well. Then if I leave it too long the following month will run into Stalker 2 (day one purchase and I will drop everything else to play) and AC Shadows. The only motivation I've got currently for Veilguard is to try and squeeze it in before my EA Play Pro sub expires.

Party RPG, interactions with party members who react to your decisions and have their own quest lines. BioWare were always really good at this. If they nail that in this game I'll probably buy it.

Party RPG, interactions with party members who react to your decisions and have their own quest lines. BioWare were always really good at this. If they nail that in this game I'll probably buy it.

Not always sadly, I consider old Bioware to be dead and buried and this new iteration is essentially born from DA:I and ME: Andromeda into "I like Anthem and massively underdelivering all the things. What else do we have in the back cat...?" is coming from a long way back of burned promises and half arsed efforts.

This is trending to right direction, but it's also for me anyway, showing how far behind they are that they're almost only resting on laurels and refreshing the art.

Oh man, I was trying to rush through the previous games since my last post in this thread, got to halfway through DA2 and slowed down/ burnt out. That release date is close, obviously will never get through inquisition. might be a Christmas pickup for me when the bugs are squashed.

Playing through these games again I've realised how much my play style featured around controlling companions directly. Pretty huge let down tbh. Glad I went back, DAO is still quality, I hadn't played it since it's release. DA2 is a bit meh to me in playstyle.

I loved all the mas effect games so still worth a shot.

Oh man, I was trying to rush through the previous games since my last post in this thread, got to halfway through DA2 and slowed down/ burnt out. That release date is close, obviously will never get through inquisition. might be a Christmas pickup for me when the bugs are squashed.

Playing through these games again I've realised how much my play style featured around controlling companions directly. Pretty huge let down tbh. Glad I went back, DAO is still quality, I hadn't played it since it's release. DA2 is a bit meh to me in playstyle.

I loved all the mas effect games so still worth a shot.
I'd honestly skip DA2, it was so bad. Origins was amazing when it came out and I think DA:I would be a good lead in to this one. Fixed a lot of mistakes DA2 made.

I'd honestly skip DA2, it was so bad. Origins was amazing when it came out and I think DA:I would be a good lead in to this one. Fixed a lot of mistakes DA2 made.

I would say DA:I's claim to fame was the ability to jump.

FWIW, I enjoyed DA:2, yeah the maps are dungeony, but it was seamless and Varric is a hilarious narrator.

DA:I was, less, for me in the narrative sense so whilst sure it had a bigger world and you had more robust characters since you could swoon many, it had issues and never forget the "hey peoples, please GTFO out of the Hinterlands FFS" articles originally.

I also kinda dislike how, let's say, obvious, DA:I was for me that I ended up muting the game and roleplaying my Qunari trying to sell carbonated drinks to people, getting turned down and thus the mages/templars hurling abuse had to be bludgeoned to death for the insults to industry. Thus; be wary of the bald bloke when you don't have peanuts with alcohol and no alternative but water.

See, obvious narrative, and you get told red = goes fast and is fast is bad, which is why jumping is so not a transit method, but by golly with persistence it can be! At least until you unlock horses. Anyway...

Is to say I didn't mind DA:2 but can see why people wish to skip it. I'd skip Anders too.

DA2 is interesting because Bioware actually tried to do something other than their standard chosen one narrative for once. I wish EA hadn't forced them to make it in 12 months so that they could've released a polished game instead of one held together by sticky tape. I still kinda like it, but it's difficult to recommend given that it's so janky (and not the good kind of janky like Pathologic or STALKER).

While everyone is sharing their opinions of DA2, mine is I blame Mass Effect. DA2 was trying to create a fantasy game out of Mass Effect. Bioware came from CRPGs and Origins was their first fantasy game post D&D games and the DNA was still there. Origins marks the end of the classic RPG era of Bioware that brought us things like BG and NWN and as good as ME was it was the moment they changed direction. ME was a hit and ME2 refined that and Dragon Age's fate was sealed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Multiplat Dragon Age: The Veilguard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back