Dream Team Squads Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my potential team so far:- any suggestions will be appreciated.
Backs
Fisher
Cornes
Gram
Houlihan
Raines
Hill
Petrenko

Suban Rance
Mid
Ablett
Swan
Murphy
Foley
Hasleby
Rich

Hartlett, Dangerfield
Rucks
Cox
Kreuzer

Vickery, Currie
Forwards
Pavlich
Richardson
Giansiracusa
Harvey
Lucas
Higgins
Ziebell

Sidebottom, Ballantyne

IMO its an interesting team, but one where if not all goes to plan, you could well end up with a rookie or a below par player (bad upgrade) in your final 22.

Interesting yes, but the biggest problem is you're attempting to predict 12 rookies that are going to have a decent 1st year. This is a hard prospect, there is always one or two that end up not living up to your expectations.

This is why starting no rookies can be an advantage, you can always downgrade a non performing mid priced player to a rookie that you missed.

Latest incarnation of my squad:

Backs - Goddard, Cornes, Shaw, Buckley, Taylor, Houlihan, Raines, Hill, Petrenko
Centres - Ablett, Gibbs, Boak, Masten, Haselby, Rich, Robinson, Davenport
Rucks - Cox, McIntosh, Graham, Pyke
Forwards - Deledio, S.Johnson, Roughead, J.Riewoldt, Lucas, Higgins, Ziebell, Grant, Walker

Backline
Mackie, Bock, P Burgoyne, Gilbee, Drummond, Malceski, Raines (Hill, Suban)

Midfield
Bartel, Swan, Kornes, Haselby, Mackay, Rich (Ziebell, Dangerfield)

Rucks
Simmonds, Ottens (Currie, Orreal)

Forwards
Deledio, Gia, Murphy, Lucas, Higgins, Yarran, Walker (Gumbleton, Grant)

thoughts?

Interesting yes, but the biggest problem is you're attempting to predict 12 rookies that are going to have a decent 1st year. This is a hard prospect, there is always one or two that end up not living up to your expectations.

This is why starting no rookies can be an advantage, you can always downgrade a non performing mid priced player to a rookie that you missed.
Is it just me or is there a few more second year player rookies, or those that werent 2008 draftees, than normal? Like grant, gumbleton, dangerfield, otten, hentschel...

I presume you're talking about Daisy?

I think he will play more off half back this year (aswell as midfield though), because it could help Heath out when he receives a heavy tag. Hopefully that means more points for Daisy, but who knows. From rounds 8-11 last year, he scored 97, 95, 102 and 107 so he can score well occasionally, except those games were against St Kilda (generally scores well against them), Geelong (in an 86 point win), Melbourne (bottom side) and West Coast (2nd bottom side), which were games that we won. The last 9 games he played in the H & A season was typical Daisy, only scored >70 in 3 of those games and scored <60 in 5 games. He scored 85 and 47 in the finals which weren't too impressive either. So ask yourself, do you really want someone that's $320k that struggles to get over 70 in your team? That's up to you.

But just keep watching the NAB and see where he plays, if he gets more midfield time then I think he might be worth it, but not too sure.
Nice right up Steele. Cheers :thumbsu:

What are peoples thoughts in playing 3 rookies in the forward line. I know its VERY risky but might prove to be successful. I was origionally starting with 2, but now after seeing Lakeys post, playing 3 will help turn a potential keeper into a certain keeper. i would have:
Yarran, Ziebel and either Walker, Gumby or Ballantyne. I believe that with this lot of rookies i could be 0 free for the first say 7-8 weeks til i can upgrade 1 to keeper.

Well I'm starting four rookies in my forwards :eek:

I seriously think it's a viable option this year. I've selected all of Gumbleton, Walker, Mitch Brown, Grant, Yarran and Ballantyne.

Although the first four won't be high scorers because they're KP, they're all so highly regarded and - more importantly -needed by their teams that they'll play the majority of the first half of the season. I think you can realistically hope they'd all increase from their starting price to about 220k during that time, which is all you'd really need to start upgrading.

Ziebell and Sidebottom (who I think are unlikely to play as many games) I've selected as my bench mids, with Rich and Robinson starting.

The rest of my team is pretty much made up of guns (with the exception of Houlihan in the backs).

High risk, sure... but potentially high reward.

've selected all of Gumbleton, Walker, Mitch Brown, Grant, Yarran and Ballantyne.
Wow, I think you're going to be dropping donuts like an off duty policeman.

The thing is, these players might all be fantastic prospects in moving up in value, but consider -

1) they're all going to be traded out sooner or later. Not one is going to cut it as a final member of your squad. That's six trades just to finish off your forward line, not counting downgrades to save money.

2) you only need this many <-----------------> cash cows in any given team. I could stack my whole team with cash cows but that wouldn't be useful because it would take too many trades to convert them into something useful. Of course you might save up so much money that you can have a midfield of Ablett-Bartel-Corey-Swan-Thompson-Kane. Great, but consider then that you miss out on having the flexibility of having midfield cash cows, and you also force yourself to trade heavily in one division, again limiting your trading options, your trading breadth, and increasing the chance you'll get zeroes.

If you think ziebell and sidebottom are not going to get many games, then why are you picking them? Even thought theyre on your bench, you need them playing and thus making cash so you can downgrade them and use the cash to make upgrades?

lol looking at these teams i thought i had something special
DT
Fisher, Bock, Mattner, Malceski, Wight, Williams Rains (Petrenko, Post)
Ablett, Pendlebury, Judd, Foley, Reilly, Ziebell (Bail, Blease)
Cox, Ottens (Lobbe, Currie)
Richo, Deledio, Fevola, Hale, Lucas, Skipworth, Wayde Skipper (Gumbleton, Ballentyne)

Gday fellas,

Im relatively new to dreamteam so any feedback/advice regarding my team would be much appreciated.

BACKS: Lockyer, Gilbee, Adcock, Malcheski, Nicoski, Raines, Hill, Suban, McKernan

MIDFIELD: Richardson, Mitchell, Gibbs, Foley, Masten, Rich, Beams, Muston

RUCK: Cox, Warnock R, Trengove, Sellar

FORWARD: Pavlich, Deledio, Harvey, Brown N, Goodwin, Higgins, Ziebell, Walker, Ballantyne

Thanks

love the team wa footy, except for warnock, only because he is injured. maybe a downgrade of goodwin to a lucas/skipworth and you could afford any ruck. nice side though good mix.

Ok will be pretty much my team going into rnd 1

BACKS: Hodge, Cornes, Shaw, Houli, Houlihan, Raines, Hill (Henderson, Garner)

MIDFIELD: Gablett, Swan, Gibbs, Knights, T Selwood, Rich (Dangerfield, Robinson)

RUCKS: Simmonds, Lade (Currie, Tippet)

FORWARDS: Pav, Goodwin, O'keefe, Westhoff, JRiewoldt, Lucas, Ziebell (Gumbleton, Dzufer)

$26,900
____ = Not quite convinced.
Swan could go for Kornes, Shaw out for a few in mind, Knights for several different ones.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well I'm starting four rookies in my forwards :eek:

I seriously think it's a viable option this year. I've selected all of Gumbleton, Walker, Mitch Brown, Grant, Yarran and Ballantyne.

Although the first four won't be high scorers because they're KP, they're all so highly regarded and - more importantly -needed by their teams that they'll play the majority of the first half of the season. I think you can realistically hope they'd all increase from their starting price to about 220k during that time, which is all you'd really need to start upgrading.

Ziebell and Sidebottom (who I think are unlikely to play as many games) I've selected as my bench mids, with Rich and Robinson starting.

The rest of my team is pretty much made up of guns (with the exception of Houlihan in the backs).

High risk, sure... but potentially high reward.
Thats exactly what i am doing as well as i see a heap of low priced forwards that could potentially play the first 7 or 8 games of the year and make you some cash as well as scoring your 50-60 odd points as well
Ive only gone with Harvey and Richo as my gun forwards and have included players Like Houlihan,Lucas,Higgins and Skipworth along with a host of rookies who i see playing the 1st 7-8 weeks who have good potential for price rises.This has enabled me to have 5 gun backs and 5 gun mids as well as Cox in the ruck which means i dont really have to worry about upgrading too many players in these positions later on in the year thus fully concentrating on upgrading my forward line later on.Players like Pav,Reiwoldt,J Brown and the like tend not to start the season too well and usually drop a fair bit after the 1st 7 or 8 weeks so i think theres no point having them now which is why i hope to pick them up cheaper later on

With some advice from those in this thread, i have tinkered aound a bit with my team;

Backs: C.Cornes, Goddard, Lockyer, Adcock, Ellis, Nicoski, Hill (Suban, Petrenko)
Mids: Gablett, Kornes, Gibbs, Boak, Butler, Rich (Robinson, Cockie)
Rucks: Cox, Mcintosh (Currie, Spencer)
Forwards: Pavlich, Deledio, Giansiracusa, Lucas, Higgins, Ziebell, Skipworth (Gumbleton, Walker)

Bold=keeper
Underline=potential keeper
Italics=cash cow
Red=emergency

So i've taken out 3 injury prone players in jesse smith, kerr and masten, and brought in gibbs and boak, who i think have a greater scope for improvement than masten and kerr. I figured that i may as well have hill in the team as he should score well and i will sell him quite quickly. Again guys like butler, skipworth and higgins only need a few games to go dramatically up in price. Butle actually scores well (averaged 83 in his last fit season when he was 20) so he could turn out beig a keeper or a cash cow.

So 13 keepers, 3 potential keepers and 6 cash cows.

With some advice from those in this thread, i have tinkered aound a bit with my team;

Backs: C.Cornes, Goddard, Lockyer, Adcock, Ellis, Nicoski, Hill (Suban, Petrenko)
Mids: Gablett, Kornes, Gibbs, Boak, Butler, Rich (Robinson, Cockie)
Rucks: Cox, Mcintosh (Currie, Spencer)
Forwards: Pavlich, Deledio, Giansiracusa, Lucas, Higgins, Ziebell, Skipworth (Gumbleton, Walker)

Bold=keeper
Underline=potential keeper
Italics=cash cow
Red=emergency

So i've taken out 3 injury prone players in jesse smith, kerr and masten, and brought in gibbs and boak, who i think have a greater scope for improvement than masten and kerr. I figured that i may as well have hill in the team as he should score well and i will sell him quite quickly. Again guys like butler, skipworth and higgins only need a few games to go dramatically up in price. Butle actually scores well (averaged 83 in his last fit season when he was 20) so he could turn out beig a keeper or a cash cow.

So 13 keepers, 3 potential keepers and 6 cash cows.

Ellis is not entirely fit and seems unlikely to play round 1.

Wow, I think you're going to be dropping donuts like an off duty policeman.

The thing is, these players might all be fantastic prospects in moving up in value, but consider -

1) they're all going to be traded out sooner or later. Not one is going to cut it as a final member of your squad. That's six trades just to finish off your forward line, not counting downgrades to save money.

2) you only need this many <-----------------> cash cows in any given team. I could stack my whole team with cash cows but that wouldn't be useful because it would take too many trades to convert them into something useful. Of course you might save up so much money that you can have a midfield of Ablett-Bartel-Corey-Swan-Thompson-Kane. Great, but consider then that you miss out on having the flexibility of having midfield cash cows, and you also force yourself to trade heavily in one division, again limiting your trading options, your trading breadth, and increasing the chance you'll get zeroes.

I know, but having that many rookies means I'm able to start with 14 "keepers" (5 backs, 4 mids, 2 rucks, 3 forwards.. with Lockyer being the lowest-priced of those, Bartel the highest).

My line of thinking is that this year's rookie forwards are the most likely of the bottom-priced players to be getting regular games - and the gun forwards are the most likely of the high-priced players to drop in value.

I think you need a bit more flexability in regards to starting rookies in ceratin positions. You really limit yr downgrades having all your eggs in 1 basket. Sure the majority of playing rookies are going to be in the fwds early in the season, but when the downgrades really come into play, mid season, maybe this will change and you may not have any options to downgrade to. IMO you need options in all positions, maybe except for the ruck, otherwise you may sell yrself short.

You really should be looking past rnd 7-8 for downgrade targets, not the start of the season. Like you said, if all these fwd rookies start rnd 1, who are your targets for cashing in?

Rather than offering an open ended question next time try and ask a question so we dont spoon feed you. Look around (search the forums) yourself. I'll answer this one though.

I have will likely have one of Hill/hurley (Hills looking good at the moment).
And one of Rance, Suban, Petrenko, Kite , O'keefe subject to NAB form and posted rnd 1 teams

Does this motley bunch float anyone's boat?

Goddard, Cornes, Birchall, Gram, Adcock, Raines, Fisher - Hill / Petrenko
Swan, Gibbs, Knights, Foley, Jack, Rich - Beams / Robinson
Cox, Fraser - Currie / Spencer
Pavlich, Deledio, Giansiracusa, Riewoldt, Lucas, Higgins, Ziebell - Walker / Ballantyne

Players in BOLD are genuine keepers.

Players in BLUE are blokes I'd like to think could turn into ''bottom end'' keepers.

Starting only two rookies in Rich and Ziebell, not overly reliant on starting 4/5/6 as I've seen being floated elsewhere.

Happy to have Goddard / Gram / Fisher all in the one team - Goddard IMO is a must this season and I can see Gram playing unaccountable, DT-friendly football. Leigh Fisher is my gamble, but for other defenders to get to spend more time in the midfield this year, someone must fill the gaps they leave, and given he's in peak fitness and isn't a total spud (60ish average would do me), he's in. Need to sleep on (have weeks to) whether to can Fisher and have Hill as 7th back, in effect generating me an extra $80ish grand. Opinions on that one, anyone?

Have skimped where possible in the mids. Swan being the cheapest of A/B/C/S, and Gibbs another must in my eye. I've like Knights for years, and I see Foley as value. If I could average 100+90+80+80 from these top four (realistic IMO, possibly more, but I tend to under rather than over-estimate). Jack to play every week (65ish +) and Rich to make $$ rounds the mids out. On Rich, Im not a total (blind) convert at this stage - would love to hear others opinions on why he's in 110% of people's teams??? Apparently there's a glitch in the VS servers that when you save a team without Rich it says there's an error and won't save until he's included???

To Cox or not to Cox - and for the first time ever I've Coxed. Second ruck is a nightmare, I was on HMac early doors but Fraser will do.

Three genuine keepers in the forwards. I like what Riewoldt is turning into, and expect to still have Lucas as 7th forward at year's end. Higgins with more mid-time, at that price, seems hard to pass on.

Genuine captain options in Cox, Swan, Pavlich, Deledio, Gibbs, Chad and Goddard. $4.4k left in the bank.

Tear me a new one lads - or at least (please) give some feedback on the 7th back options....

I think I'm nearly settled on my side, with only the bench likely to change.

Backs: Goddard, Enright, Cornes, Newman, Adcock, Houlihan, Raines
(Suban, Petrenko)

Mids: Kornes, Corey, Gibbs, Reilly, Coughlan, Rich
(Robinson, Beams)

Rucks: Cox, Hille
(Currie, Pyke)

Forwards: Deledio, Didak, Davis, Lucas, Higgins, Skipworth, Yarran
(Gumbleton, Hogan)

Keepers
Potential Keepers
Cash Cows

I've gone with a largely premium based back structure, because there is so much value there, as well as my nightmares from last year's backline.
I think Houlihan and Raines have good job security, and both present great value.

My mids are based on a real gun/rookie strategy, with a lot of captain choice in there. I think Kornes suffered in 2008 from Port's slide down the ladder, and can definitely lift to his heights of 2007.

My rucks are a lock and leave combo, with the two ruckmen I think will end the year at the top.

My forwards are the real weak spot though, with a lot riding on the performance of my mid pricers. But, after seeing the impacts of Higgins and Skipworth in the NAB cup, I feel pretty confident there.

My bench players are pretty set for now; I think my mids are probable to get games early, as well as my forwards.

Hoping to improve massively on my 20,000 ranking from last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back