Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

WHen talking about drugs being taking for recreactional and not performance enchancing puprose, as long it doesnt affect there onfield performance, its none of the Clubs or the AFL business.

Its a matter solely for the player and if illegal active is in involved the Police.

WHen talking about drugs being taking for recreactional and not performance enchancing puprose, as long it doesnt affect there onfield performance, its none of the Clubs or the AFL business.

Its a matter solely for the player and if illegal active is in involved the Police.

Articles like the one in yesterday's Age, do affect the clubs involved. And in turn affect the AFL.

Try taking your head out of the sand for a change!

how come they haven't been caught yet more often? only one of our players has tested positive twice (and i don't believe the cr@p about masking agents - if the chinese economy can't find a way to mask drugs undetected in their swimmers - I doubt a two bit drug dealer can)

Urine tests for recreational drugs have more holes than a fly-screen.

The aim is not to mask, but to dilute your urine to the point that the test comes up negative. Water doesn't cut it, as drinking a heap of water will cause the weight of your sample to drop to an abnormal level, and you'll fail the gravity check. The way to get around this, is to drink a crap-load of something (which I wont mention the name of, as my post will probably vanish, but it's fairly common). This tasty beverage will dilute your sample sufficiently without affecting the weight. Take a vitamin B pill to bring the colour back to your p¡ss. That is all.

Sound too easy? That's how useless urine tests are. I am sure AFL players would be aware of this method.

That is just plain silly and incorrect.

Try getting on to a mine site after a weekend on the goey and see how you go.
Actually, this is just plain silly. Miners are using heavy eqiuipment. A sherrin is hardly a Hallpak or heavy piece of machinery that can result in death if the employee isn't alert.

Random alcohol and recreational drug testing is common in a lot of work places and is increasing.
Yes, amongst work environments that are hazardous. So what?

And are these people tested on the weekend when they are not at work? Yes or no?

And do you think they should be tested on a Sunday morning when they aren't due to work until Monday?

Actually, this is just plain silly. Miners are using heavy eqiuipment. A sherrin is hardly a Hallpak or heavy piece of machinery that can result in death if the employee isn't alert.

It doesn't matter if you are driving a haulpak or pushing papers in the drafting room.

You still get tested.

Yes, amongst work environments that are hazardous. So what?

Read above.

And testing is carried out in some very large corporations Head Offices in major cities.

And are these people tested on the weekend when they are not at work? Yes or no?

Bunny, don't get me wrong. I spent 2 years with BHP in the Pilbara and happily went on strike when these tests were introduced.

I saw them as an invasion of my privacy as well.

But the fact remains that they are here to stay and are increasing throughout all types of work places rapidly.

And do you think they should be tested on a Sunday morning when they aren't due to work until Monday?

When you are an athlete, you are required to front up for a test when and where required.

Whether you or I agree or disagree means little.

Thems the breaks in todays society.

Gotta love eagles fans, It's about my club so it must be BS, or it does'nt matter because everyone in society does it. Open the other eye.

Mark my words, if drug use is as common as this there will be a small percentage of these junkies that end up brain damaged vegetables, paranoid delusional freaks thinking every one is out to get them and causing a huge rift in their club, or worse case dead before their 30.

The AFL players do mirror society but no-one cares if jo blo ends up a veggie or dead, they do however care if star footballers end up drug ****ed or dead. That's why it's an issue.

One of the Blues' great finals players reputedly played under the influence of drugs — "his eyes would be rolling around like mad", recalls a contemporary — and later became a dealer among younger players. He saw a Carlton player at a nightclub during the finals in the late 1990s and, while commiserating with him for being dropped from the side, slipped the embarrassed player some drugs. He is still reputed to deal to players and is not the only one.

He used to dominate in his days

Innocent until proven guilty.

Till then I am sticking with the OFFICIAL yellow fever response.

"The Eagles also rubbished a television report yesterday suggesting Chad Fletcher battled for his life during an end-of-season trip to America, saying he simply had an allergic reaction to an injection for yellow fever. Fletcher spent four days in hospital but denied reports that he choked on his own vomit and that his life was in danger. "I didn't nearly lose my life. I was sick and lost some weight, but that was it," he said."

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/r...685616531.html

Oops, it's already been wiped, perhaps it was a reaction to the yellow fever injection.

It's an interesting article, on an interesting topic.

Some questions:

What is the prevailing issue with these guys taking non-performance enhancing drugs? Is it because of the potential to negatively impact their performances, is it some concern about their welfare as people, is it a general disapproval of illegal conduct, or is it because it sets a bad example?

If it's the last point, which I often see reported: why is it considered to be news - as in, that it will be reported in the newspaper - that a football player is or may be taking non-performance enhancing drugs in this day and age? Is there a genuine public interest angle? Does the public interest beget the bad example, or vice versa?

Don't take this as being an attempt to justify or excuse anything. I'm genuinely interested in the general take on this.

It's an interesting article, on an interesting topic.

Some questions:

What is the prevailing issue with these guys taking non-performance enhancing drugs? Is it because of the potential to negatively impact their performances, is it some concern about their welfare as people, is it a general disapproval of illegal conduct, or is it because it sets a bad example?

If it's the last point, which I often see reported: why is it considered to be news - as in, that it will be reported in the newspaper - that a football player is or may be taking non-performance enhancing drugs in this day and age? Is there a genuine public interest angle? Does the public interest beget the bad example, or vice versa?

Don't take this as being an attempt to justify or excuse anything. I'm genuinely interested in the general take on this.

The prevailing issue is that these players if not engaging in criminal behaviour (and many appear to be in either taking substances or when they are acting under their influence) appear to be walking a very thin, white line and through their associations are bringing the game into disrepute.

So the large former eagle that's referred to in the article have a green thumb?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It doesn't matter if you are driving a haulpak or pushing papers in the drafting room.

You still get tested.
Nothing more needs to be said if you think a darfting company should be able to test their workers for illicit drugs on the wekend.

And testing is carried out in some very large corporations Head Offices in major cities.
Name them. I've worked in the professional environment and never heard of it in this country except for jobs where heavy machinery etc is used.

That is just plain silly and incorrect.

Try getting on to a mine site after a weekend on the goey and see how you go.

Random alcohol and recreational drug testing is common in a lot of work places and is increasing.

Very correct... I work in the Perth Office for an Oil and Gas Operator (producer) and, even as a contractor, we are required to take random drug test.

So obviously the young kid Bunsen just hasn't experianced enough lfie to realize the fact.

And the toughest penalty of all goes to.....Steve Johnson???

ineligible to play until rd 7, as decided by his PEERS!!!
six weeks in the VFL for trying to drink a bottle of suntan oil.

Articles like the one in yesterday's Age, do affect the clubs involved. And in turn affect the AFL.
A footballer is employed to play football, anything done by a footballer in his own time which does not affect his performance on match, at training or at any offical club event is his own business. If the player recieves payment explictly for work in the media or for the promotion of his club then it may become the clubs business.

Try taking your head out of the sand for a change!
A change? this is like my 5th post.

It annoys the crap out of me when I keep hearing about all this sh*t.

As if every other club is perfect.

He should've named the article - "let sh*t on the Eagles". Its not half obvious how biased the article is.

"ELITE footballers are young, rich and often act as if they are above the law, but they are not invincible". <-- the only non biased comment in the whole article and it was the first line.

Ahh well at least I have something to make me feel better..

0526140100.jpg

Thats the spirit

Nothing more needs to be said if you think a darfting company should be able to test their workers for illicit drugs on the wekend.

Don't put words in my mouth bunny.

You know I didn't say that.

And if you don't think large corporations don't have their own drafting, bookkeeping, clerical departments on a mine site then you should get out more.

Name them. I've worked in the professional environment and never heard of it in this country except for jobs where heavy machinery etc is used.

Let's try

BHP Billiton
Rio Tinto
Woodside
BP
Chevron Texaco
Fortescue metals
Newmont
Lihir Gold
Origin Energy
And this is on site and in head and regional offices.

Plus whoever spook works for!

I may be wrong on one or two but I doubt it.

This is exagerration. WCE may have a problem but it wouldn't be with many players. If that was the whole culture and drug use was the norm not the exception many players would want out. I don't remember any WCE wanting out. The bit about Carlton seems to be going back to the old days. It mentions a few top line players but not many. If you take out the Eagles example the drug use seems to be in proportion with the level of it in the wider community. Especially amongst the demographic of 20-30 year old males, let alone a culture of jocks.

Very correct... I work in the Perth Office for an Oil and Gas Operator (producer) and, even as a contractor, we are required to take random drug test.
Do you ever have to go onsite? What is your job? Does the receptionist have to do a drug test?

So obviously the young kid Bunsen just hasn't experianced enough lfie to realize the fact.
I've heard of it overseas but not in this country except for industries where the workers use heavy machinery.

ps pretty sure I'm older than you champ.

Don't put words in my mouth bunny.

You know I didn't say that.
But you agree with the AFL testing for illicit drugs. They test on the weekends. Therefore, you did say it.

And if you don't think large corporations don't have their own drafting, bookkeeping, clerical departments on a mine site then you should get out more.
Why are you limiting this to mine sites? I have already acknowledged that mining companies do it.

Let's try

BHP Billiton
Rio Tinto
Woodside
BP
Chevron Texaco
Fortescue metals
Newmont
Lihir Gold
Origin Energy
And this is on site and in head and regional offices.

Plus whoever spook works for!

I may be wrong on one or two but I doubt it.
Is there something wrong with you? These are all mining companies. I acknowledged from the start that mining companies do it. Now name a company that doesn't use heavy machinery etc that drug tests? You know, mauybe a law firm, IT firm, accountancy firm, retail firm like woolworths etc.

A footballer is employed to play football, anything done by a footballer in his own time which does not affect his performance on match, at training or at any offical club event is his own business. If the player recieves payment explictly for work in the media or for the promotion of his club then it may become the clubs business.

Whether you like it or not.

A footballer is the public face of a multi million dollar business that creates the largest advertising revenue in this countries history.

When a businesses public image continues to tarnish the brand I can assure you the governing body will get very pissed off.

Especially when this players actions are clearly not only criminally illegal, but also flying directly in the face of what the AFL is trying to project as an image.

Whether or not he receives payment for work in the media is totally irrelevant.
A change? this is like my 5th post.

Well you are obviously a slow learner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back