Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's hope not. It is none of their business.

To a degree but onfield performance is so much more important. No one's going to sack a Kerr or Cousins when it might cost a flag. They haven't done anything extraordinary yet.

So drink driving and assault is ordinary behaviour????????

I wonder what you would be saying if Cousins had killed your mother whilst drink driving or Kerr bashed your father perhaps.

Something in the water down there i think !!!

A footballer is employed to play football, anything done by a footballer in his own time which does not affect his performance on match, at training or at any offical club event is his own business. If the player recieves payment explictly for work in the media or for the promotion of his club then it may become the clubs business.

To an extent all players are paid to promote the club, they wear the clubs colours so they are promoting it.

Personally I think it is the clubs business if players are regularly using drugs, in the short term it may cause zero issues but over a sustained period of regular drug taking some players will be adverlsy affected and no longer be able to function properly as a footballer. Just like smoking affects your fitness and lung capacity drugs affect your mind and personality. Short term little effects, Long term a whole range of effects are possible, clubs should be seeking to prevent this before it happens, because there is'nt a cure to being drug ****ed.

A footballer is employed to play football, anything done by a footballer in his own time which does not affect his performance on match, at training or at any offical club event is his own business. If the player recieves payment explictly for work in the media or for the promotion of his club then it may become the clubs business.

A

The clubs own these blokes 24/7 for the amount of money they are paying them.

So drink driving and assault is ordinary behaviour????????
There is an inbetween between nrmal and extraordinary you know.

I wonder what you would be saying if Cousins had killed your mother whilst drink driving or Kerr bashed your father perhaps.
Did or did not Cousins kill someone?

Stupid comment.

And do you think your employer should be able to sack or suspend someone because they have been charged with drink driving?

Something in the water down there i think !!!
Well it's not stupidicide - that seems to be in the Adelaide water system. Tastes like **it too.

But you agree with the AFL testing for illicit drugs. They test on the weekends. Therefore, you did say it.

I did not say that I necessarily agree with it.

But I did say that it is now an unavoidable fact of life.

And as an athlete you must expect and submit to a test when requested.

Why are you limiting this to mine sites? I have already acknowledged that mining companies do it.

Let's try

Is there something wrong with you? These are all mining companies. I acknowledged from the start that mining companies do it. Now name a company that doesn't use heavy machinery etc that drug tests? You know, mauybe a law firm, IT firm, accountancy firm, retail firm like woolworths etc.

Big night last night bunny???

Or did you conveniently ignore my statement that these companies test in their head and regional offices as well.

And yes that means the receptionist and the janitor.

Companies in the industries you mention may well have procedures in place that I am unaware of.

But someone else may be able to enlighten us.

There is an inbetween between nrmal and extraordinary you know.

Did or did not Cousins kill someone?

Stupid comment.

And do you think your employer should be able to sack or suspend someone because they have been charged with drink driving?

Well it's not stupidicide - that seems to be in the Adelaide water system. Tastes like **it too.

The possibility was there as he was impeded by alcohol which is obviously displayed in his decision to compete in a triatalon to escape being caught

And the water is fine up here in Darwin and there is plenty of it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whether you like it or not.
A footballer is the public face of a multi million dollar business that creates the largest advertising revenue in this countries history.
When a businesses public image continues to tarnish the brand I can assure you the governing body will get very pissed off.
Especially when this players actions are clearly not only criminally illegal, but also flying directly in the face of what the AFL is trying to project as an image.
Whether or not he receives payment for work in the media is totally irrelevant.
I disagree if a footballer is being paid to play football how is portrayed in the media is not his problem, yes it is the clubs problem and when the player wants a new contract it will become his problem.

I noticed you avoided answering the question.

Avoided answering???

No he didn't kill anybody but leaving your missus in the car whilst running away would not be seen as normal rational behaviour by a human being, hypothetically speaking if that was the best decision he could come up with at the time, you would think his judgement of driving a car under the influence of alcohol couldn't have possibly caused an accident was a poor one.

Did he think they would not find out it was his car or his girlfriend?

It was clear that his decision was affected by alcohol

And by not saying anything about Kerr assaulting someone you know sometime, I will take it that you agree with me on that point at least

Indeed - ask your local stockbroker... some of the wizz that is being swept up like a vaccuum cleaner in amongst investment bankers is just unreal.

Some investment bankers work crazy, long hours it is no surprise it is rife there.

How come we don't hear so many stories of Victorian players/teams and drug use? Is the drug use in WA and maybe SA more rampant, or is it easier to hide in Victoria (I would've though it would be harder).

I disagree if a footballer is being paid to play football how is portrayed in the media is not his problem,

Really???:confused:

You may well be right if the media analysis is on his playing ability. But even that gets under their skin.

But you are dead wrong if you think that a players off field antics being splashed about in every newspaper does not have a personal impact.

yes it is the clubs problem and when the player wants a new contract it will become his problem.

So it isn't the players problem but the clubs.

Untill the player wants a new contract.:confused:

So isn't it the players problem all along??

You tell me where the mutually exclusive line in the sand is drawn between a players conduct and its impact on a club and the game in general.

Out of curiosity when and why has the Las Vegas/Fletcher story changed from at first being really drunk and choking on his own vomit to passing out in a drug induced coma :confused:

Yep. You just did it again. Here, here's the question for you:

They can if you cant get to work because you have lost your licence, but I suppose a few taxi fares out of an AFL players is chicken feed.

And think back a few years and remember the players that cost Richmond their sponsorship with TAC for traffic offences such as drink driving and speeding.

Michael Gardiner also comes to mind.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back