Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Random thoughts.

Firstly, for those of you so keen to put the boots into the Eagles over the drugs issue, please remember that whilst the Eagles may be the poster child for drug abuse in the AFL, this is an AFL wide issue and there would be a player(s) at virtually every club taking illicit drugs.

To those Eagles supporters who would deny there is a problem it is time to wake up. Whilst I believe the level of drug use is exaggerated to an extent there is way too much anecdotal evidence to suggest it doesn't happen.

One thing I find surprising is that the Eagles are widely regarded as one of the most professionally run clubs in the AFL, yet they have have allowed this issue to fester to the point where it is now seriously tarnishing its image and by extension the AFL's. Further, I would've thought that with Worsfold as coach discipline would not be an issue - on field is fine but off field obviously isn't. maybe because he's a chemist?

Players having a few drinks (or more) I don't have an issue with and whilst I don't condone it, up to a point I don't really have a problem with illicit drugs. Generally if it doesn't affect the way they prepare for a game then if they're stupid enough to take drugs, good luck to 'em.

However, judging by the actions of some of our players (Kerr especially) they are unable to do this without getting into trouble with the law. A little bit of restraint goes a long way.

I would be really disappointed with the club if they haven't read the riot act to the player group to tidy up their act and given the main culprits (who are in the minority) a very very short leash. If the behaviour reported is anywhere near what is being reported it must be having an effect on their performance. FFS if we can win a GF carrying on like we've been accused of, how good could we become if we stopped the nonsense.

I don't know what is being done behind closed doors by the club, but if they do not do something to stamp it out they shouldn't be surprised if one of their young interstate recruits asks to go home after being pressured by his parents to get out. Spare a thought for the parents of young Mitchell Brown when they read articles like this - their son can tell them don't worry Mum and dad it's all good only so much - they would have to be concerned about their son's welfare. I know I would be.

Clubs should be allowed to know the results of illicit drug testing for their players so they can address the problem with the player concerned. The names should not be made public as this will not help.

Finally, as I said at the start this is not just about the Eagles and is not our entire playing group (or even half for that matter) so how about pulling your punches just a little bit.

Please:eek:

Considering that Kerr STOLE a prescription pad the FORGED a prescription for a drug known to be used as a come down drug.He should be looking at time for the further indescretions
He was fined and had a spent conviction issued,a lucky judge must be enjoying his corporate seating at eagles home games.Joe Blow would have gotten 6 months

And if Joe Blow didn't get jail time,he would have at least got a community service order.

It annoys the crap out of me when I keep hearing about all this sh*t.

As if every other club is perfect.

He should've named the article - "let sh*t on the Eagles". Its not half obvious how biased the article is.

"ELITE footballers are young, rich and often act as if they are above the law, but they are not invincible". <-- the only non biased comment in the whole article and it was the first line.

Ahh well at least I have something to make me feel better..

0526140100.jpg

Cousins looks stoned.

Considering that Kerr STOLE a prescription pad the FORGED a prescription for a drug known to be used as a come down drug.He should be looking at time for the further indescretions
He was fined and had a spent conviction issued,a lucky judge must be enjoying his corporate seating at eagles home games.Joe Blow would have gotten 6 months

Look mate, this is the People's Democratic Republic of WA. That's what happens over here. Hand in glove is a phrase that springs to mind.

People are afraid to speak out for fear of retribution.

It's stupid to think that there isn't a drug culture in all clubs in the AFL - WCE included. However it's also stupid to think that these guys are doing anything significantly out of the ordinary for guys their age. Take 40 random blokes and line them up against the wall. Then weed out the amount that have either tried drugs on the odd occasion or use them on more than the odd occasion.

You'd probably be left with maybe half of the 40 (or even less) standing against the wall. Why we should hold these people to a higher standard is beyond me and is the same old argument I've been making ad nauseum for weeks now - they are not role models, they are football players.

It's a societal problem, not explicitly an AFL one. It's not just AFL players cashed up and thinking they are above the law, it's people generally around that age with access to whatever they want and the stupidity to think that they either know what they're doing or that they won't get caught. And how do I know that? Because I'm one of them (and I did inhale), and one who's been lucky enough not to have been caught in the days where I was stupid enough to do what a high percentage (much higher than people are willing to admit) of people get up to on any given night of the week.

Oh and one more thing... for journalists to get high and mighty about substance and alcohol abuse is the pot calling the kettle black. You want to talk about the biggest load of drunks with a history of substance abuse, turn your heards away from the footy players and look at the scribes.

He said that there is no problem in the NFL because of this zero tolerance policy.

Which is a bull**** line because the NFL is one of the most notorious sporting leagues for soft punishments on players when it comes to drugs, especially performance enhancing ones.

Players found guilty of taking steroids are given something along the lines of a 5 match ban for a first offense, and a year for a second offense and are welcomed back with open arms. Take the same drugs in athletics and it's three years straight off the bat. Justin Charles also would've loved a five-match ban as opposed to 16 weeks and the stigma of forever being a cheat.

To those Eagles supporters who would deny there is a problem it is time to wake up. Whilst I believe the level of drug use is exaggerated to an extent there is way too much anecdotal evidence to suggest it doesn't happen.

Aside from a certain ex-Eagle getting sprung, where's this evidence?

And even if it does occur, apart from Chad Fletcher Dying (;)), what has happened to suggest it is cause for concern?

Would that be 40 random blokes off of the street or 40 AFL players(whatever club) who are in the public eye a majority of the year and are supposed to be role models to all the little kiddies who look up to them?

And who are the public face of a multi million dollar business.

And the public face of the highest rating sport in the country.

And who, like it or not, are held up as role models for children.

But you agree with the AFL testing for illicit drugs. They test on the weekends. Therefore, you did say it.

Why are you limiting this to mine sites? I have already acknowledged that mining companies do it.

Let's try

Is there something wrong with you? These are all mining companies. I acknowledged from the start that mining companies do it. Now name a company that doesn't use heavy machinery etc that drug tests? You know, mauybe a law firm, IT firm, accountancy firm, retail firm like woolworths etc.

I imagine there would be firms that do such testing. An obvious public sector one though is the AFP

But you agree with the AFL testing for illicit drugs. They test on the weekends. Therefore, you did say it.

Why are you limiting this to mine sites? I have already acknowledged that mining companies do it.

Let's try

Is there something wrong with you? These are all mining companies. I acknowledged from the start that mining companies do it. Now name a company that doesn't use heavy machinery etc that drug tests? You know, mauybe a law firm, IT firm, accountancy firm, retail firm like woolworths etc.

You are so young and dumb... what percentage of employees who work for these companies actually operate heavy equipment??

I work for one of the above mentioned companies in the PERTH OFFICE as a contractor and not even a dirrct employee and I am subject to random drug tests.... This is not an opinon but a fact.... Bunnings employees are subject to random drug tests....

The reason why athletes should be subject to them is for there health reasons... What to you think the medical ramifications could be with maintaining a heart high rate over a game of footy with goey or meth in your system... we all know its not good for you.. so the employee, the AFL, has a duty of care to try and protect the players from themselves..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Looking at the big picture like a true Eagles supporter I see..........

HYPOTHETICALLY...A million dollars would be the last thing going through your mind, looking at your son laying in his coffin after a drug overdose.

But maybe not because by your morals you wouldnt be there, you would be at the pub P***ING it up against the wall.

Wow, now you know all about me and my morals?

Mate, you are a smug sanctimounous clown who knows very little about anything at all.

This weekend all across Australia, a whole host of sensible, responsible middle-aged (and older), well adjusted, useful members of society will get ****-faced using various forms of alcohol (a drug). Alcohol is a drug that reeks havoc on large sections of the community and causes untold problems.

This weekend all across Australia, a whole host of sensible, responsible young, well adjusted, useful members of society will get ****-faced using various forms of "drugs", including alcohol. These drugs reek havoc on small sections of the community and cause considerable problems.

One is legal, the other is illegal. These laws have at other stages applied in reverse (i.e. alcohol has been illegal and some of the now illegal drugs have been legal).

Apart from Gardiner who allowed his issues (including injury) to severely impact on his direct obligations to his employer i.e. to turn up ready to go, to train and rehab properly etc, which of these alledged Eagles offenders has actually performed poorly for their employer or failed to meet their direct obligations to their employer to be footballers? Cousins is a champion, whose unfailing ability to be unbelievably fit and to be ready to play whatever is going on is remarkable. Not exactly the traits of some muddled stoner.

This requirement for players to be role models to the kids has become a blunt instrument to actually require them to behave in a manner beyond the scope of most regular members of society. They are young people with lots of money and they have strong charachters (an absolute requirement to get where they have gotten) and they arent perfect - WOW, News at 11!

I cannot believe that this continues to be as big an issue as it is. We are a nation with the second highest per head alcohol consumption in the world and we believe that these blokes should not get drunk or have a chuff?

*Hypocrites or smug nerd board*

PS: I worked for over 2 years with (at the time) Perths biggest drug treatment program (on a voluntary basis). It is remarkable who uses and what they use. It is also sad that some people **** themselves up. Unfortunately, the downside of freedom is that people wont always exercise their freedom sensibly. But, the charachteristics demonstrated by the genuinely drug-****ed would not allow them to be useful members of a premiership side.

You are so young and dumb... what percentage of employees who work for these companies actually operate heavy equipment??

I work for one of the above mentioned companies in the PERTH OFFICE as a contractor and not even a dirrct employee and I am subject to random drug tests.... This is not an opinon but a fact.... Bunnings employees are subject to random drug tests....

The reason why athletes should be subject to them is for there health reasons... What to you think the medical ramifications could be with maintaining a heart high rate over a game of footy with goey or meth in your system... we all know its not good for you.. so the employee, the AFL, has a duty of care to try and protect the players from themselves..

A duty of care to protect people from themselves????

Do I hear nanny state or fascist regime anyone???

People **** up when given freedom. It happens but your suggestion of giving up our freedom to "protect us from ourselves" is sinister and dangerous.

I have been a contractor and advisor to many large companies who have drug testing regimes. I have also got pissed with their board members at lunch .... on work days ....

Perhaps they should be sacked? I mean in their interests and all?

:rolleyes:

People **** up when given freedom. It happens but your suggestion of giving up our freedom to "protect us from ourselves" is sinister and dangerous.

I have been a contractor and advisor to many large companies who have drug testing regimes. I have also got pissed with their board members at lunch .... on work days ....

Mate I don’t agree with it, What I am saying that’s the way it is now...yes a Nannystate. And I bet if you read that companies HSE policy I bet is says that if you get pissed at lunch then dont go back to the office..
I work at Woodside and that is the basic rule... no worries if you have a few but don't go back to work.. When I started in the industry I worked up north on onshore drill rigs, then on the GGT gas pipeline and we drank and we smoked up a storm.... but not now... So yes it is becoming a Nanny state... I don’t agree with it but that is the case.
I believe there should be drug testing for some areas of the work force but not for most. If I was on an offshore production platform I would not want someone of there head anywhere near a live bomb that I was working on but in the office in Perth on a Monday after a Sat night on a pill... well I am sure many of us have worked with people like that (or even like that our selves).

Everyone who is young and goes out in Melbourne knows which players take drugs. I could list dozens of players. But taking these drugs is ILLEGAL. The clubs should be testing their players because it is their reputation and performance that suffers. The AFL is embarrassing, its 3 strikesand your out policy is deplorable, especially when we have seen 4 players get dragged across the coals for betting on games.

This weekend all across Australia, a whole host of sensible, responsible middle-aged (and older), well adjusted, useful members of society will get ****-faced using various forms of alcohol (a drug). Alcohol is a drug that reeks havoc on large sections of the community and causes untold problems.

And tell us all again how many of them are earning 6 figures and are the public image of the biggest sport in the country!!

This weekend all across Australia, a whole host of sensible, responsible young, well adjusted, useful members of society will get ****-faced using various forms of "drugs", including alcohol. These drugs reek havoc on small sections of the community and cause considerable problems.

And how many of these people work in an en environment of less than 50 other people well paid and pampered kids who are in the same boat. And who are constantly counselled on the possible stupidity of their actions??

One is legal, the other is illegal. These laws have at other stages applied in reverse (i.e. alcohol has been illegal and some of the now illegal drugs have been legal).

No one is calling for prohibition of alcohol here. Just responsible usage and appropriate punishment when you don't.

And the illegality of all banned drugs is clearly defined.

Apart from Gardiner who allowed his issues (including injury) to severely impact on his direct obligations to his employer i.e. to turn up ready to go, to train and rehab properly etc, which of these alledged Eagles offenders has actually performed poorly for their employer or failed to meet their direct obligations to their employer to be footballers? Cousins is a champion, whose unfailing ability to be unbelievably fit and to be ready to play whatever is going on is remarkable. Not exactly the traits of some muddled stoner.

So Dalton Gooding, Trevor Nisbett and John Worsfold all gave these individuals a standing ovation when they turned up for training did they???

BTW, a stoner is a pot smoker, not a white powder fancier.

This requirement for players to be role models to the kids has become a blunt instrument to actually require them to behave in a manner beyond the scope of most regular members of society. They are young people with lots of money and they have strong charachters (an absolute requirement to get where they have gotten) and they arent perfect - WOW, News at 11!

Tough!!

It is the way of the world today.

Live with it and get your head out of the sand.

I cannot believe that this continues to be as big an issue as it is. We are a nation with the second highest per head alcohol consumption in the world and we believe that these blokes should not get drunk or have a chuff?

Well you better start believing it because it is a fact of life.

*Hypocrites or smug nerd board*

ROFL:D

Pot, ketle, black.

PS: I worked for over 2 years with (at the time) Perths biggest drug treatment program (on a voluntary basis). It is remarkable who uses and what they use. It is also sad that some people **** themselves up. Unfortunately, the downside of freedom is that people wont always exercise their freedom sensibly. But, the charachteristics demonstrated by the genuinely drug-****ed would not allow them to be useful members of a premiership side.

No one says that it isn't rife in the community.

And no one says that they are genuinely drug ****ed.............yet!

Companies with a market capitalisation of less than $1m hardly count do they??;)

But tell me while you are at it.

Do companies like BHP drug test their board members??

Ummm .....no!!

Because board members are not technically employees of a company.

But thanks for the grandstanding.:rolleyes:

And as for the nanny state???

Write a letter to your local politician champ.:thumbsu:

I'd have hoped that events in Las Vegas might have been a wake up call for how easily things can go wrong regardless of whose explanation of eevnts you believe.

I'm certainly no expert on drugs, particularly the newer ones, but I find it hard to believe that taking drugs doesn't mean you have to work doubly hard to get to the same level of fitness that would be expected. And if you are prepared to work that hard imagine the results you'd achieve if you weren't taking anything.

And tell us all again how many of them are earning 6 figures and are the public image of the biggest sport in the country!!

And how many of these people work in an en environment of less than 50 other people well paid and pampered kids who are in the same boat. And who are constantly counselled on the possible stupidity of their actions??

No one is calling for prohibition of alcohol here. Just responsible usage and appropriate punishment when you don't.

And the illegality of all banned drugs is clearly defined.

So Dalton Gooding, Trevor Nisbett and John Worsfold all gave these individuals a standing ovation when they turned up for training did they???

BTW, a stoner is a pot smoker, not a white powder fancier.

Tough!!

It is the way of the world today.

Live with it and get your head out of the sand.

Well you better start believing it because it is a fact of life.

ROFL:D

Pot, ketle, black.

No one says that it isn't rife in the community.

Fair enough.

What impact do you reckon its had on the West Coasts brand value?

Mate, my head isnt in the sand, I am a realist in a world full of faceless ********s who do nothing of value but like to tell people (who do a lot more) what they should be doing instead of doing something useful themselves.

At the end of the day, they make a lot of noise and dont really do much. The joy (best word I could think of) that Cousins and Kerr (amongst others) brought to about a million West Australians last year fair outweighs any perceived negatives. By contrast consider the relative contribution of the whiny masses who make these things into issues.

Look, I understand that it is preferable to project a better public image but when a Melbourne based paper sends a guy across here to write a story based on urban myths and stories from disgruntled anonymous types there is buggar all you can do other than ignore it and wait for it to go away. No dount Eagles players have behaved outside the desirable range of the generic "mums and dads" but seriously this is getting way overblown.

Andrew Rule was in Perth for 2 weeks researching this supposed article. Quite simply he refused to get involved closer to home about it. Too much bias, especially leaving Victorian clubs out of it. I know one of his sources hasnt even been at the club in this century yet he quotes it alot.

you don't know jack.
you never know **** about anything.

Companies with a market capitalisation of less than $1m hardly count do they??;)

But tell me while you are at it.

Do companies like BHP drug test their board members??

Ummm .....no!!

Because board members are not technically employees of a company.

But thanks for the grandstanding.:rolleyes:

And as for the nanny state???

Write a letter to your local politician champ.:thumbsu:

Wondered if anyone would pick up on the board members reference. Actually was going to edit for senior execs (also) but trust bushie to pick it up. Well done. :thumbsu:

Senior execs are employees (in case you needed to check), actually for the purpose of some acts so are board members but thats an aside.

Most mining companies extend the testing to all employees regardless of role for pragmatic purposes. The primary concern, rightly, is aimed squarely at those who could be dangerous (and very expensive) if drunk or drug affected at work.

No idea what your $1 million cap comment was about. Another anti-capitalist jibe?

Fair enough.

What impact do you reckon its had on the West Coasts brand value?

Nothing of any real substance yet!

But you can bet your bottom dollar that Gooding and Nisbett were working the phones, to major sponsors, like maniacs after the latest Kerr episode.

My mail is....and you can laugh if you want but it is very good....that at least one, if not two, naming rights sponsor will walk if it happens again.

Don't tell me that you will be able to command the same money from a new sponsor if that occurs.
Mate, my head isnt in the sand, I am a realist in a world full of faceless ********s who do nothing of value but like to tell people (who do a lot more) what they should be doing instead of doing something useful themselves.

Aren't we all!!

It sucks but we have to deal with it.

At the end of the day, they make a lot of noise and dont really do much. The joy (best word I could think of) that Cousins and Kerr (amongst others) brought to about a million West Australians last year fair outweighs any perceived negatives. By contrast consider the relative contribution of the whiny masses who make these things into issues.

No doubt they bring a vast amount of people joy and happiness.

But that quality is starting to wear thin with the AFL and a growing portion of the general public.

As you well know, it is all about perception.

Look, I understand that it is preferable to project a better public image but when a Melbourne based paper sends a guy across here to write a story based on urban myths and stories from disgruntled anonymous types there is buggar all you can do other than ignore it and wait for it to go away. No dount Eagles players have behaved outside the desirable range of the generic "mums and dads" but seriously this is getting way overblown.

The problem is that a lot of this stuff is not an urban myth at all. But I grant you that some of it is dubious at best.

Some of it may well be embellished, but the facts are starting to become clearer through the spin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Drug Use Rampant in AFL (especially at the Weagles)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back