DT 2011 Backs Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: 2011 Backs Thread

Rawlings has flown under the radar, possibly a back where you could get what you pay for. I'm doubtful he'll improve, but someone like him is capable of growing into his new role with experience.

Agree Tom. Probably because of his lack of hurt factor he flew under the forward taggers radar last year and may well again this year. Will be 30 this year so not improving but staying in that role could see him in the top 7 backs this year. 10 tons last year and solid durability over a long period

Agree Tom. Probably because of his lack of hurt factor he flew under the forward taggers radar last year and may well again this year. Will be 30 this year so not improving but staying in that role could see him in the top 7 backs this year. 10 tons last year and solid durability over a long period

If his average is 'maxed out' I still think you look at him, finishing in the top 7 backs post-season is what matters.

Rawlings has flown under the radar, possibly a back where you could get what you pay for. I'm doubtful he'll improve, but someone like him is capable of growing into his new role with experience.

Nth Melbourne only have 1 bye during the league minor rounds!

could be an upgrade target after 5 or 6 rounds!

This is from memory, but I think Rawlings had something like the third highest possession average last year. He scores the majority of his points from possies, and any change to the status quo should result in his average dropping. Players like Cam Richardson are a danger to Rawlings, he looks to have been recruited to play a running HBF role.

Kelly has durability issues though. Only played 20+ games in 3 of his 9 seasons and 22 games in just one of them. If i'm picking a premium i'd want it to be more likely that's he's not going to pick up an injury at some point during the season.

He can miss games at vital times, but his average should increase next season. Not too many players you can be confident of playing 22 games.

Good point LFC.

We can see that there are a few BigFooty hype teams around the place already with alot of similar players names being thrown about. Luckily DP, or not to DP, or to what degree to DP will vary some teams, however, trades and upgrades and using the bye to your advantage will be where alot of players make or lose ground on the rest of the comp. For example the players who can time their upgrades with the players they have chosen in their original squad will recieve the most benefit. For example a guy like Dyson Heppel heading into the bye in round 10 will be a good option for a guy like Gaz who has gone through both of his byes.

Planning, patience and balance are the keys to DT 2011 IMO!

He can miss games at vital times, but his average should increase next season. Not too many players you can be confident of playing 22 games.

Deledio, Gibbs, Enright, Scotland and Rawlings all have extremely good durability in the same price range. The reliability of these guys playing week in week out is very much worth the slight point loss you may get for picking one of them above Kelly.

Deledio, Gibbs, Enright, Scotland and Rawlings all have extremely good durability in the same price range. The reliability of these guys playing week in week out is very much worth the slight point loss you may get for picking one of them above Kelly.

True, I guess it depends on whether you think Kelly can vastly increase his scoring. He only missed 2 games last year, but sadly it was at the end of the DT season if I recall correctly.

Emergencies: B Jacobs (PTA), M Coad (GCS), C Richardson (NTH)
Total Spent: $2,566,800

As a port fan, could you justify picking Jacobs above Toy? I'd be keen to hear a bit about him, i mean i read that he shows off his great kicking at training, but is he as much a lock as people seem to be suggesting. Any info would be appreciated

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a port fan, could you justify picking Jacobs above Toy? I'd be keen to hear a bit about him, i mean i read that he shows off his great kicking at training, but is he as much a lock as people seem to be suggesting. Any info would be appreciated
Question might rather be whether you would want Coad or Toy. Both could be decent options although I think Coad performed better in the VFL last year prior to his injury. You probably don't want to avoid having two GC players at any one position and I can understand going with Coad over Toy.

Toy will have a lot or hurt factor but might not be the accumulater at AFL level. Everyone on here seems to be on his bandwagon but as far as DT goes I still have a lot of question marks over him.

Jacobs is a big accumulator in the midfield and if he is played there for Port he could be a big scorer. Personally I did not rate him as a junior as much as some but I recognise that if he comes off he could be a gooden. If he is played as a back I don't really like his scoring potential but if he is in the mid I will definately be keeping a close eye on him.

Toy depends on price to me, if he gets a price premium then i will have to look at other options.

Jacobs has a few advantages, dual position, port have a bye in round 21, so time to get games into him. Even if played as a back could average 50-60 which is enough for a back rookie. Fair bit will depend on injuries and how fit rodan is, but i imagine that pittard could be pushing for midfield time too.

Quite a bit of interest for me in the backs this year. Some of the guys not getting a mention much so far:

C Morton - position? Played a similar role to Gibbs and if Gibbs is going to be a back/mid why not Morton? I like Cale as a back option if he is there.

S Selwood - position? Averaged 88 in the last 10 playing more through the midfield. With a full team though it is entirely possible that he will move back into the backs. CD may though make him a mid only which would be a shame given that I see him playing a bit in the backs next season.

Lake - injury? Plays DT himself and likes to rack up his score. KPF rarely are known for their defensive pressure but I am sure coaches will make adjustments to try and restrict him a bit next year. That combined with his knee and shoulder surgery will probably see me steer clear of him until at least after their bye round 4.

X Clarke - one game for 15 last year. Mmmm could be tasty as he should be cheaper than most of the rookie options and if he is fit he should be in the 21 which a lot of the other rookies won't necessarily be. Look at him as a cow and you only need 6 games from him. After that its all jam.

Wood - who takes Harbrow's role? I like the look of him and if he gets the running role coming out of defense he could be a cheap keeper. This is especially the case if teams put time into stopping Lake.

Salopek - position and injury? His shoulder is for ever coming out which makes it hard to trust him but if he is a back and priced at 71 I will look at him closely. He should be a back imho but CD often make some strange decisions on positions.

Hanley - personal favourite but hard to pick him. Still he is a guy I like a lot and one who could score very nicely given a chance.

Duigan - at his age you figure Carlton picked him to play him and probably to free up Gibbs to move back to the midfield fulltime. That being the case he have a nice scoring role.

Faulks - mature ager who I think will get games for Freo at the back and will probably score okay. Freo picked him for a reason and they have shown they are not afraid to play these types of guys early.

Pederson and Nicholson - rookies who could play early and often.

Quite a bit of interest for me in the backs this year. Some of the guys not getting a mention much so far:

C Morton - position? Played a similar role to Gibbs and if Gibbs is going to be a back/mid why not Morton? I like Cale as a back option if he is there.

S Selwood - position? Averaged 88 in the last 10 playing more through the midfield. With a full team though it is entirely possible that he will move back into the backs. CD may though make him a mid only which would be a shame given that I see him playing a bit in the backs next season.

Lake - injury? Plays DT himself and likes to rack up his score. KPF rarely are known for their defensive pressure but I am sure coaches will make adjustments to try and restrict him a bit next year. That combined with his knee and shoulder surgery will probably see me steer clear of him until at least after their bye round 4.

X Clarke - one game for 15 last year. Mmmm could be tasty as he should be cheaper than most of the rookie options and if he is fit he should be in the 21 which a lot of the other rookies won't necessarily be. Look at him as a cow and you only need 6 games from him. After that its all jam.

Wood - who takes Harbrow's role? I like the look of him and if he gets the running role coming out of defense he could be a cheap keeper. This is especially the case if teams put time into stopping Lake.

Salopek - position and injury? His shoulder is for ever coming out which makes it hard to trust him but if he is a back and priced at 71 I will look at him closely. He should be a back imho but CD often make some strange decisions on positions.

Hanley - personal favourite but hard to pick him. Still he is a guy I like a lot and one who could score very nicely given a chance.

Duigan - at his age you figure Carlton picked him to play him and probably to free up Gibbs to move back to the midfield fulltime. That being the case he have a nice scoring role.

Faulks - mature ager who I think will get games for Freo at the back and will probably score okay. Freo picked him for a reason and they have shown they are not afraid to play these types of guys early.

Good summary Quigs. Sorry to be pedantic but I have seen on these boards several references to best 21. With one subbed off and 1 subbed on its best 20 we're looking for not best 21.

Good post Quigley..
Just on that,
Selwood I'm certainly watching but I'm very doubtful he'll get that back eligibility. It'd be great if he did because he comes a viable option with huge potential to improve.
Lake isn't always so damaging so I don't buy into the argument that he'll be heavily tagged.
XClarke if he stays fit is going to be a solid option, at his price he'll prove a good cow option. Fitness a massive concern here.
Hargrave could explode in Harbrows absence, I'm not 100% sure on this assessment but wouldn't they give the rebounding job to someone who's executed it well in the past? Wood might be a little raw.

Hargrave could explode in Harbrows absence, I'm not 100% sure on this assessment but wouldn't they give the rebounding job to someone who's executed it well in the past? Wood might be a little raw.

Really tough to know where the Dogs rebound will come from this year. Pretty stable back 6 but still plenty of uncertainty. Gilbee had the role a few years back but his hurt factor saw a consistent fwd tag. The role went to Hargrave in 2009 with Harbrow coming in to take the small defender. Late in 2009 Hargrave stated that Harbrow coming in had been the reason for his freedom and higher possession rate. In 2010 Hargrave had foot injuries, meaning Lake controlled the switch of play and Harbrow / Murphy gave run out of defence. This year the back 6 looks like being:

Wood, Lake, Morris
Hargrave, Williams, Gilbee / Murphy

Breaking these down:

Lake: Will have basically no PS after off season surgery so fitness base will be down.

Morris: Number 1 negator, will provide very little rebound

Williams: Very ordinary with ball in hand, poor decision maker and poor disposal. Will be predominantly a negating tall

Wood: Will play Harbrow's role on the small forwards. Has great courage and strength but not the line breaking ability of Harbrow. Would imagine he would initially be given time to find his feet but may be used offensively more as he gains in confidence, similar to Harbrow in 2009.

Hargrave: Has had foot surgery in the off-season and has returned slowly. With a full PS the stars may have aligned for him in 2011 to have another 2009 year however his fitness base will be down.

Gilbee: Some talk he will be used more on the wing / HF next season. Has lost a yard of pace with age but still has hurt factor with his disposal so will continue to get the number 1 fwd tag if he plays in defence.

Murphy: Played as part of the 7 man defensive rotation in 2010, giving some run from defence. Will possibly be a swing man again in 2011 and as always his body will be the question.

So given the circumstances leading into 2011 it's tough to know who the best option will be. Sherman will play wing but may work back to give the run from defence. Nab Cup may help paint a picture on the fitness level for some of these guys.

Later in the year when Harbrow was injured/moved into the midfield the set up was very similair. Don't be surprised to see Lake and Hargrave continue to rebound while Wood (who will pick up his scoring, but surely not enough to become a good pick) will play more of a defensive role. Gilbee and Murphy to pick up the slack.

I think people undervalue Harbrow's speed - not something that is easily replaced, particularly as it does give him a natural ability to break lines.

I also think that Lake could see some attention. He may not have been damaging by foot, but the role he played as the quarterback and switch man meant that he was damaging due to the role he played in the chain. Towards the back end of 2010, I remember being simply stunned by his ability to direct traffic, and concluded that teams must simply begin to be more accountable. Sure he might not have the foot skills that a Gilbee or even a Harbrow have/had, but he still had an enormous impact on the game IMO.

Bit of ruckman fluff in this article but small amount at the bottom as below

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/106634/default.aspx

Clarke and ex-Essendon assistant coach Scott Camporeale have taken charge of the Adelaide midfield and are likely to introduce some different faces, with Jason Porplyzia, Patrick Dangerfield and Andy Otten joining their group at training on Thursday.

"Andy played midfield as a junior and has attributes, which certainly make him capable of playing in there ... but sometimes you forget that he hasn't played footy for over 12 months and we need to be mindful of that in our expectations," Clarke said.

Remove this Banner Ad

DT 2011 Backs Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back