DT Defenders 2010

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was doing a little research (i hate picking back rookies) and thought I would share, feel free to knit pick. Hopefully because he didn't play last year he may go down to basement price (90k?)

Phil Davis (2009 first round pick)
114k forward/defender

(SANFL - North Adelaide)

2009 Finals week 1
9 touches. 31 DT points

Round 23
27 touches, 10 marks. 91 DT points

Round 22
13 touches. 46 DT points

Round 20
13 touches. 65 DT points

Round 19
18 touches. 70 DT points

Round 18
15 touches. 51 DT points

Round 17
20 touches. 87 DT points

Round 16
29 touches. 93 DT points

avg (66.75)

The bad thing is even a 29 possie, 10 mark game doesn't get him the DT ton (lack of tackles). Some of the games I believe were forward, some were back. The potential killer is Neil Crag. As mentioned on fanfooty, with the exception of Andy Otten most of the crows rookies have limited TOG, although they did improve towards the end of the year.

Over the year TOG for
Otten 90%

Dangerfield 72%
Petrenko 70%
Walker 69%
Cook 62%
McKernan 50%
Sellar 46%

Ash Smith and Brad Sheppard the others on my radar for back rookies at this stage.

^^ keep him quiet for the moment. He will be all the talk in 2010. He will be one of the rare rookie backs. I currently have him on the pine, crow fans expect him to play. He can play back or forward aswell. To play for Adelaide is it mandotory to have a year in the SANFL or something. Neil Craig seems to love doing it.

The best 22 for the crows if all fit will have some good players missing.

Sorry DWD, but a first round draft pick from 2008 is not going to go "unnoticed" and become "rare" - hate to burst your bubble.

Crows second year players generally seem to get a fair few games too....

Sorry DWD, but a first round draft pick from 2008 is not going to go "unnoticed" and become "rare" - hate to burst your bubble.

Crows second year players generally seem to get a fair few games too....

Wolllllll!!!!

hold your horses

I hope you havnt got what Tarquin now has, a massive ego. After a decent dtm year.

I didn't sense any ego in that post. What he said was completely true - if you think most good DTers don't have him in their sights it's probably you with the ego.

Good point Lakey, cond year crows players. Hope he gets better TOG. I wonder where in the 22 Davis will fit.

Bock, Rutten, Otten the mid-tall defenders
Tippett, Burton, Hentschel mid-tall forwards

Scott Stevens somewhere? Phil Davis?

Reports are that Davis should get games, I am just wondering who he is competing with (and who he has to hold out to keep his spot).

Stevens seems to have his spot at the moment. But Davis should be able to beat him out if he is a true 1st round pick. Stevens was very disappointing in the Collingwood game IMO.

Stevens seems to have his spot at the moment. But Davis should be able to beat him out if he is a true 1st round pick. Stevens was very disappointing in the Collingwood game IMO.

Stevens wasn't the same since the fremantle game (when he got a knee to the head) IMHO. Where is his spot? backline?

L91, probably just took the negative of that message. After looking at it this morning i take what i said back.

I was actually highly considering Stevens for the 2010 year. I think with the new adelaide style it suits him quite well and he could only improve. Also i think he had some games that were affected by injury, thus his avg was alot lower than what it shouldve been. Therefroe his price being lower than what it should be and that making him a value pick. Possibly a keeper as a back. Also unsure what his durability is like, but he seems to get up for most games throughout the year.

Although i had a look at the crows round 1 best 22 and a few are leaving stevens out. Ill be watching his last 5-6 games including finals to see how they played him and whether or not Davis will take his spot.

Im unsure if Hentschel, Burton will make the crows best 22 next year. I think they will look to Davis and Walker ahead of them. Hentschel was quite good late in the year though.

I'd say Hentschel's versatility should grant him a spot at the start of the season, and I can't really see him losing it.

Stevens and Davis have the same versatility. Infact I would argue that they both have MORE versatility than Hentschel. I have only seen trent used as a "loose man" in the backlines, where as Stevens and Davis can also fill a defensive role (as well as loose man).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

TRADE: Port Adelaide has snared tall utility Jay Schulz from Richmond in exchange for small rebounding defender Mitch Farmer.

Never really been a high scorer Schultz, will wait and see what role he gets at Port. Tredrea,Westhoff,Motlop would think he would be behind those 3 (but why would we trade for him if this was the case?)

TRADE: Port Adelaide has snared tall utility Jay Schulz from Richmond in exchange for small rebounding defender Mitch Farmer.

Never really been a high scorer Schultz, will wait and see what role he gets at Port. Tredrea,Westhoff,Motlop would think he would be behind those 3 (but why would we trade for him if this was the case?)
Depth.

Wouldnt be suprised if he plays as a tall down back. Motlop isnt a tall forward though, so he could play as a 3rd tall up forward. Im more interested about the other player involved in the trade ;) Depending on price ect. But rebounding defenders do have an abundacy to gain good points.

Wouldnt be suprised if he plays as a tall down back.

tall defenders
in 22?
Chornes, Chaplin, Carlile

next in ?
Jackson Trengove
Jay Shultz?

Im more interested about the other player involved in the trade ;) Depending on price ect. But rebounding defenders do have an abundacy to gain good points.

Depends on role, but in his 3 AFL games he averaged 37. Not a ball getter, more a hard small defender.

Defenders have always been the line i have had the most trouble with, so i am spending more time on them this pre season. There are a few mid priced ones i am looking at. Thought i would share my thoughts and see if we can get some discussion on these cheap options (there is probably some port bias).

Shultz from richmond to port. 210k FWD/BAC. Averaged 68.5 in 2008 so has shown he can improve on his price. For some reason (dont see it myself) port have always been keen on him (wanted him before) so that to me suggests that they will now play him.

Xavier Clarke to Lions. Didn't play a game this year so with discount would be around 176k. Averaged 63 in 2008 from 7 games (can score). Will see what his role is at the lions.

Nash 213k defender to port. Averaged 70 from 21 games in 2008 and Averaged 69 from 11 games in 2007 (looks like he can score ok for a backman). Quite a nice price, will wait on his role and how likely he is in the port 22. Quote from peter rhode

We are also delighted to have secured Jay Nash from Essendon. We have had our eye on Jay since he was drafted and really rate him as a half-back or on-baller
If he can get on ball rotation's that could only help his average.

Broadbent 203k. No discount, but think he should become part of the port 22. Has been a great DTer in sanfl.

Rick Ladson, Averaged 69.4, 75.4 and 75.5 in the previous 3 years, and had been durable in those years (22,20,22). Only played 3 games due to injury this year, and with discount should be around 195k. Looks like a bargin.

Rick Ladson i like. Hes durable even though last year he struggled. Hes a solid 6th or 7th defender. With a rise in the hawks form he could avg over 80.

I dont like the others, maybe Nash is okay.

The backs seem alot easier this year, although durability could be an issue.

What are peoples thoughts on Buckley, Waters ect??

Nash - he seems to be an andy raines type for mine :p

Can get 20-25 possessions, but still only ends up with 65-75 DT.

Priced at 46ppg though does make him an interesting prospect as there may be 20-25ppg upside if he can return to his former levels.

I learnt this year though that your mid pricers have to be able to pull out a couple of 80s or a tonne in order to get some decent price gains - this is one of the problems I have with raines that i realised in hindsight - could never really see him scoring 90 or 100.

Nash has scored over 80 in 11/34 matches over the last 3 seasons though, but of this there was only one tonne.

Interesting prospect.

Just pick 7 gun defenders and relax.

The problem is i can only see 2 maybe 3 guns.

Plus defenders dont score aswell as other positons (mids,forwards), so loading up on them early may be non-benefical towards early scores. As you will be foreced to get weaker Mids and Forwards where scoring may not be soo high. It could actually work the other way aswell, just thinking about it.

Probably does work the other way

Nash - he seems to be an andy raines type for mine :p

Can get 20-25 possessions, but still only ends up with 65-75 DT.

Priced at 46ppg though does make him an interesting prospect as there may be 20-25ppg upside if he can return to his former levels.

I learnt this year though that your mid pricers have to be able to pull out a couple of 80s or a tonne in order to get some decent price gains - this is one of the problems I have with raines that i realised in hindsight - could never really see him scoring 90 or 100.

Nash has scored over 80 in 11/34 matches over the last 3 seasons though, but of this there was only one tonne.

Interesting prospect.

I certainly agree, probably my port bias, but Nash and Broadbent have become a couple of interesting 200k back options.

Nash,Ladson,Broadbent (Shultz maybe, meyers) how many mid priced backmen can you really have. Normally it wouldn't bother me "however many are value" but the backline for me has always been one that isn't overly durable. At the moment looking at 4 "premiums" (360k+) and 3 of these mid pricers.

The problem is i can only see 2 maybe 3 guns.

Plus defenders dont score aswell as other positons (mids,forwards), so loading up on them early may be non-benefical towards early scores. As you will be foreced to get weaker Mids and Forwards where scoring may not be soo high. It could actually work the other way aswell, just thinking about it.

Probably does work the other way

Hmm... If you can't find more than 2 or 3 gun defenders I'll just leave you to it.

Gun mids & fwds may be better than gun defenders but rookie/cheap mids & fwds score alot better than rookie/cheap backs. Think about.

Good point Lakey, cond year crows players. Hope he gets better TOG. I wonder where in the 22 Davis will fit.

A Otten has always said his aim was to play midfield and he has the talent to do it. So I could see him pushing up onto the wing in 2010, allowing Davis to slot into that third tall defender option which could make them both good DT prospects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back