Not open for further replies.
Bryce Gibbs
Joel Selwood
Tom Swift
Rhys Palmer
Tom Scully
Dustin Martin

Im going with a Strategy of 2 Premiums, 2 Lower prices and 2 Gun Rookies

Does anyone think im going to soft in the Mids, becuase i believe there is plenty of value here

Depends what you mean by 'soft', but I think that will be a pretty safe (and popular) structure.

My midfield ATM is

Bartel
Gibbs
Cooney
Ward
Palmer
Martin

3 premiums
2 midpricers
1 rookie.

If it turns out that Trengove, Cunnington and the like are mids only, how will that change your proposed structures? Im looking into the possibility of starting three rookies in the mids (Trengove, Morabito and Martin) which would give me 16 keepers across the team (including Swan). Im also not sold on the midpricers in the mids this year, and as long as the three rookies I mentioned have good job security it could be goer.

If it turns out that Trengove, Cunnington and the like are mids only, how will that change your proposed structures? Im looking into the possibility of starting three rookies in the mids (Trengove, Morabito and Martin) which would give me 16 keepers across the team (including Swan). Im also not sold on the midpricers in the mids this year, and as long as the three rookies I mentioned have good job security it could be goer.

shhhhhhhh

Ye, but if i were you i wouldnt take the risk on 3 rookies, its too many if things go wrong

Ye, but if i were you i wouldnt take the risk on 3 rookies, its too many if things go wrong

well you could take palmer instead and only have him either break down or not find his full dt ability until mid way or you could have swift and have hime not capture his 09 form..

with the quality of rook mids, i recon its worth the risk to be able to start with 16 keepers.

I think you would need durable premiums if you take on the 3 rookie mids. On last year if you started Rich, Otten and Robinson with Moss and Beams on the bench you would have been ok. But yeah, you are putting faith in the rookies. Trengove and Martin certainly look like goers, Cunnington and Morabito certainly look capable and you can add 2nd/3rd year players like Banner if they get a game round 1.

The true question is...
Is anyone game enough to pick Cunnington, Martin, Trengove and Scully?

I think you can go with 3 rookie midfielders. Especially considering that the two best players drafted were by far and away better than the rest of the players drafted. Add to it that on the tier below them were three more players (Morabito, Martin and Cunnington) who were distinctly better than the rest.

So the top two tiers of the draft were solely made up of midfielders.

The true question is...

I think you can go with 3 rookie midfielders. Especially considering that the two best players drafted were by far and away better than the rest of the players drafted. Add to it that on the tier below them were three more players (Morabito, Martin and Cunnington) who were distinctly better than the rest.

sooooo many mid pricers i want to pick but now cannot due to trengove gettin mid status. he is a must pick, the rich of last year! Im thinking of picking them 4 with 2 on the bench....i know it is a alot of money but.....juicy!

Ok is anyone else considering taking either a B/C or a F/C in the mids position to allow for the dual positional swapping. Goddard or ROK with some dual positional players in each spot could prove invaluable to help protect 0's. especially in my forward line that has dangerfield and mayne.....

Ok is anyone else considering taking either a B/C or a F/C in the mids position to allow for the dual positional swapping. Goddard or ROK with some dual positional players in each spot could prove invaluable to help protect 0's. especially in my forward line that has dangerfield and mayne.....

goodes is forward only

Yes i am. Although I don't think it will be that beneficial in the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm looking at taking ROK as a mid, especially with my forward line littered with F/C's it means that start 3 mid rookies is actually like picking 3 of 7 players (less risk).

I'm looking at taking ROK as a mid, especially with my forward line littered with F/C's it means that start 3 mid rookies is actually like picking 3 of 7 players (less risk).

The problem with that logic is you need a *rookie* in the forward to move to the bench in the mids. (to then get an extra mid rookie on the field.)

Else you're just replacing a Dangerfield or Ziebell with a mid rookie- which is less of a good prospect.

I'm sure I'm like the rest of you who are having problems because of Cunnington / Trengrove. I think my ideal fix is to have 4 rookies, 2 on the field with 2 on the bench. My problem is which rookies (out of Scully, Trengrove, Martin, Morabito and Cunnington) and then which player to drop for the new MF (Ziebell, Dangerfield, Palmer).

At the moment I'm leaning towards dropping Ziebell and starting Scully / Cunnington on the field with Trengrove and Martin on the bench.

Thoughts?

The true question is...

Asking for trouble imo. Serious trouble.

Melbourne people seem to think that Scully will be brought along slowly. Whilst a supreme talent, physically will he be able to handle a full season of the in and under stuff without getting hurt? I doubt it, and so do the coaches apparently.

What happens if you start 2 rookies and have 2 rookies on the bench and you get a couple of injuries or some get rested, which is extremely common for the rookie mids. Not very many play 8 games in a row off the bat, which is usually how long it takes for them to reach their max price. Some do, but most don't. This strategy is asking for zeroes very early in the season. Just because it worked last yr, doesn't mean it will this year. What happens when you are going to be one short in your mids for a few weeks and thus want to trade in order to avoid zeroes? Who do you trade your rookie too? You'll basically be praying that another bottom priced player will emerge during this period so you can swap them to them, if not, you'll have to do a double trade to raise enough cash to trade your rookie to someone else.

Basically, starting that many rookies is great if it works. You'll have a massive leg up on the comp, but if things don't go according to plan, and they rarely do, then you're up shit creek without a paddle.

I disagree with you footylover18. Particularly

Just because it worked last yr, doesn't mean it will this year.

Last years top 5 included, a high school FF, an inexperienced ruckmen, a key position utility and the skinniest kid you've ever seen (who actually played every game).

This year your top 5 are all mids and are all a good chance to play and score well.

IMO. Starting Trengrove, Martin & either Morabito/Cunnington is safe with Bastinac & Morabito/Cunnington backing them up.

As you can see I'm avoiding Scully, his preseason is too interrupted for my liking and he will be a late starter IMO.

Of course NAB cup might scratch some names and add some others but I'm willing to take the 5 rookies in my starting mids.

You only need two blokes to play about 5 or 6 games to upgrade them to a premium. Obviously more is better but I'd think by round 5 & 6 Trengrove & Martin should be going strong. The other 3 rookies should be able to cover the final spot between them.

I disagree with you footylover18. Particularly

Last years top 5 included, a high school FF, an inexperienced ruckmen, a key position utility and the skinniest kid you've ever seen (who actually played every game).

This year your top 5 are all mids and are all a good chance to play and score well.

IMO. Starting Trengrove, Martin & either Morabito/Cunnington is safe with Bastinac & Morabito/Cunnington backing them up.

As you can see I'm avoiding Scully, his preseason is too interrupted for my liking and he will be a late starter IMO.

Of course NAB cup might scratch some names and add some others but I'm willing to take the 5 rookies in my starting mids.

You only need two blokes to play about 5 or 6 games to upgrade them to a premium. Obviously more is better but I'd think by round 5 & 6 Trengrove & Martin should be going strong. The other 3 rookies should be able to cover the final spot between them.

I'm not sure about only needing "5 or 6 games" to upgrade these rookies to a premium. but in any case, make no mistake, it can work, and hindsight will always show that there was some combination that allowed it work, but it's a HIGHLY risky strategy which leaves you nowhere to go if things don't go as you have planned them to go.

Starting rookies didn't just work well last year, it worked well the year before that too. And who could forget Gibbs and Selwood the year before that!

While true, that still doesn't mean it will work this year, is in indicative to a change in how rookies are handled in the modern age.

Rich & Beams for example...

After round 6 were averaging 75 & 65 respectively. They had combined +205k. There total value being 418,200. That would have given you a player @ the 330k.

So you are correct that you might not get the premium.

Where will this years rookies score though?

After 6 games Broughton had increased 195k on a 82.5 average.
After 6 Liam Anthony averaged 89 and increased 184k.

Had these two played from round one, you'd have been able to get a 460k mid.

To take 5 rookie mids would require that you think they'll be there from round 1 or 2 and score well, which the current crop look capable of doing.

Starting rookies didn't just work well last year, it worked well the year before that too. And who could forget Gibbs and Selwood the year before that!

While true, that still doesn't mean it will work this year, is in indicative to a change in how rookies are handled in the modern age.

I agree. It completely depends on the draft year. Like the draft this year is very midfield rich for the top 5.

last year no so..and more were long term prospects.

the year which you mentioned was the year of gibbs, boak and selwood.

This year is a great year for midfield rooks and is purely the reason why i am looking at starting 2 in my mids. I wouldn't start two just for the sake of starting two or a 'strategy'.

Fact is that there is not much depth for rooks in forwards or backs so you need to have your premiums/ mid priced players here and then your rooks starting in your mids.

just my thought anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back