DT rucks 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Nup no way. Wasnt going to get him anyway - cant see him scoring much more than someone like currie to be honest.

Now im looking at sullivan and currie - sullivan especially cos hes at the weagles and could cover cox (key word could though).

Nup no way. Wasnt going to get him anyway - cant see him scoring much more than someone like currie to be honest.

Now im looking at sullivan and currie - sullivan especially cos hes at the weagles and could cover cox (key word could though).

I was looking at him. If he got games games his price would have gone up regardless of how he performed. The problem is that you need someone on your bench who is playing in the event of a late withdrawl or minor injury to either of your ruckman. Currie should get games for the Swans but you might also find that Jesse White may even be ahead of him. They could also use LRT in the ruck as they have done so in the past.

Yeh i think with everitt gone their not going to use LRT or goodes say as they need to start to develop a ruckman for next 3-4 years so they can take over as main ruckman when jolly retires. While white may get in ahead of currie - quite a possibility - i think currie will play 10-12 games regardless. Though im pretty sure sydney officials have labelled currie as the future ruckman of the club, with white more of a KP prospect for the future i would think.

But if White is KP prospect doesn't that just make you want him even more than Currie as he may actually score half decent?

White is 148k though - about 50k more than currie.

When i see white playing about as many games, if not less, than currie, the fact that he might score 5-10 ppg (when he may not even be required as hes on my bench) means he isnt worth it for the extra 50k.

Whites played 4 games for swans (including PS) and scored 44, 21, 31 and 41 - though he would have most likely been playing in the ruck these games and maybe even had limited game time (i dont remember these things).

Just dont see him as worth the extra 50k, especially when he is backup only - something i think currie can provide the same cover for.

Way i see it is, say i need my ruck reserves 4 times in the season. White scores 10 more than currie (unlikely but go with me), then 4x10 = 40 points.

So im paying 50k extra for 40 points. Not worth it IMO.

Sorry if thats a bit jumbled!

I think an underrated DT'er in the rucks is Dean Brogan, i had him all year last season and thought he was great value for money, dont let his av last year fool you towards the end of the season he started scoring 90 plus regularly. With big Lade slowing to a shuffle and not much pushing for a spot in the rucks from our young boys i think he'll be a good pick up again.

White is 148k though - about 50k more than currie.

When i see white playing about as many games, if not less, than currie, the fact that he might score 5-10 ppg (when he may not even be required as hes on my bench) means he isnt worth it for the extra 50k.

Whites played 4 games for swans (including PS) and scored 44, 21, 31 and 41 - though he would have most likely been playing in the ruck these games and maybe even had limited game time (i dont remember these things).

Just dont see him as worth the extra 50k, especially when he is backup only - something i think currie can provide the same cover for.

Way i see it is, say i need my ruck reserves 4 times in the season. White scores 10 more than currie (unlikely but go with me), then 4x10 = 40 points.

So im paying 50k extra for 40 points. Not worth it IMO.

Sorry if thats a bit jumbled!

I was surprised to learn that White played 72% game time in his two matches this season, given the numbers he produced. Against North Melbourne he played in the ruck (7 possessions, 7 hit outs) and I assume he would have also played third tall backman while resting. Against the Bulldogs I'm pretty sure he played key defender (didn't get any hit outs, only had two possessions), and I'm pretty sure I've heard that he will be groomed for CHB. Should get a few games in the second half of the year to gain experience, as there needs to be a Barry succession plan.

I don't see White as being DT relevant this season, but he should play in the back half of the year.

I think an underrated DT'er in the rucks is Dean Brogan, i had him all year last season and thought he was great value for money, dont let his av last year fool you towards the end of the season he started scoring 90 plus regularly. With big Lade slowing to a shuffle and not much pushing for a spot in the rucks from our young boys i think he'll be a good pick up again.

I agree, Brogan represents quite a bit of value I think. Finished the year very well (92.2 over his last 5 games) and it has to be assumed Brogan will no longer be playing second fiddle to Lade. Good pick if you don't like McIntosh/Ottens as cheaper players (though Brogan's games played record doesn't look that flash either).

I know Cox is a must get but do you think we should have 2 other ruckman and use the 100 odd K you save by not getting cox on a backup ruckman in case one of our 2 main rucks get hurt or out sup ,

There's a lot of very good ruckman at some good prices around the 300-350 k

I know Cox is a must get but do you think we should have 2 other ruckman and use the 100 odd K you save by not getting cox on a backup ruckman in case one of our 2 main rucks get hurt or out sup ,

There's a lot of very good ruckman at some good prices around the 300-350 k

There are but they no Dean Cox. Cox has the proven track record and his ability to score big on a regular basis cannot be overlooked.

Looking at the bottom priced player's apart from Currie there is no one else that you would consider picking. With White gone Meesen is really the only one with any chance of getting a game. Baily is still injured and that's about it. Can people see Ayce Cordy getting any games or anyone else for that matter?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Im waiting to see how Leuenberger goes in pre season. Considering starting him, depending on form

The aim would be to have the best 2 rucks at seasons end. Cox will be the number one ruck, and i have locked him in, even at his price. However i had Macintosh aswell, but i dont think that Macintosh will be the second best ruckman at seasons end, so i would be using a trade on Macintosh, and seing as that second ruck spot will always be used to trade up to the second best ruckman, then i may as well get someone cheap who will play, and has the ability to score highly.

I think Mcevoy will get plenty of games in 09. I think he could play about 10-15, thats what i reckon he will play. IMO however but i am choosing him ahead of Currie at this stage probably wont though.

Im thinking of going Currie and Orreal as my rucks. Im sort of hoping Mcevoy is higher priced (40k more) because the decision between him and Currie would become alot clearer.

I also think choosing the Currie, Orreal combo could be okay, the swans must develop young rucks for the future. Everitt is gone and Jolly isnt young. So as soon as a Currie or Jolly get a serious injury i think he would be given a game or 2. White is being groomed as a KPP. Goodes as a key forward (3rd forward and with O'loughlin looking likely to struggle in 09 i think Goodes will be used forward alot more, also what are peoples thoughts about L.Johnstone to get a gig in his 1st year.

Oloughlin struggling and Hall very unreliable regarding suspension and injuries is he a fair chance to get solid games (6-10). Maybe one to watch as a downgrade target during year.

Happy eagle, thats a bit contradictory saying you want to have best two rucks then saying your considering changing hmac for leuenberger. I think leuenberger has a few more years of development left (maybe 2-3) before he averages 80+, but i could be wrong. Can you be certain leuenberger will play 20+ games??

DWD for the ruck situation, i was really anoyed i couldnt get to swans training while i was up there, but i think that orreal wont play unless two of white/currie/jolly are injured. Im not sure how much he has developed as a player. If white goes down, i think they wont play him a KPP as he's too young IMO for that role in the AFL, and if currie goes down, i think white will just back up to ruck with a couple of other pinchhitters. Hard to know really though. I think orreal needs another 5-10kg too. Hes 90k and 204cm. White is 196/103, currie is 200/97. Also, i think players like grundy would be ahead of johnstone at this stage...

As for Mcevoy, i can see him playing 10 games too. Your not iknterested in currie and mcevoy?? Or do you want to save the 13k?

Happy eagle, thats a bit contradictory saying you want to have best two rucks then saying your considering changing hmac for leuenberger.

He meant that he wants to have the best two ruckmen by the end of the season, and seeing as he doesn't think Hamish will be one of those two, there isn't much point starting with him when L'berger should make more money.

I think leuenberger has a few more years of development left (maybe 2-3) before he averages 80+, but i could be wrong. Can you be certain leuenberger will play 20+ games??

Pretty certain Voss doesn't want to use Clark in the ruck anymore, preferring to use him as a KP player. This leaves Charman and Leuenberger as the only ruckmen on the senior list, so I'd say there is a fair chance Leuenberger will play every week.

He meant that he wants to have the best two ruckmen by the end of the season, and seeing as he doesn't think Hamish will be one of those two, there isn't much point starting with him when L'berger should make more money.

Haha yeh i get that now....sorry it was early...well, id just woken up!

Pretty certain Voss doesn't want to use Clark in the ruck anymore, preferring to use him as a KP player. This leaves Charman and Leuenberger as the only ruckmen on the senior list, so I'd say there is a fair chance Leuenberger will play every week.

Yeh fair call, i havent looked into the brisbane rucks due to a lack of interest from me personally. I guess with increased TOG his PPG must increase shouldnt they? I just prefer the lock and leave...

I would like to get some people's opinions on this because I'm not sure if this is smart or silly...

I've opted to start with Ottens and Simmonds. This has allowed me to pick up a few more keepers in the backline which is an area that I think is hard to find good mid-price players.

I have a bit over 100k left which I plan to use to trade Ottens for Cox as soon as his price drops a bit. I have enough to get Cox into my team from the start but I just can't justify paying 500K for a player that will only come down in price after round 3 (due to the way the MN works.)

So the real question is do I pay the extra and start with very little spare cash or do I use an early trade and get him for a cheaper price?

I would like to get some people's opinions on this because I'm not sure if this is smart or silly...

I've opted to start with Ottens and Simmonds. This has allowed me to pick up a few more keepers in the backline which is an area that I think is hard to find good mid-price players.

I have a bit over 100k left which I plan to use to trade Ottens for Cox as soon as his price drops a bit. I have enough to get Cox into my team from the start but I just can't justify paying 500K for a player that will only come down in price after round 3 (due to the way the MN works.)

So the real question is do I pay the extra and start with very little spare cash or do I use an early trade and get him for a cheaper price?

If I can refer to to the last 40 pages of posts you wil find the answer in there somewhere...

This is probably one of the biggest decisions for DT 09. How much is too much?

Cox is difficult to get into the team after the start of the year because of unreliable upgraders and he is a strong starter.

On the other side of the coin if you pay so much and he doesn't deliver the points you have suffered massively.

I'll be watching Seaby closely to see if he will eat into Cox's tog as for some reason he is rarely rested forward.

If Seaby is in poor form it is more likely I will go with Cox because Lynch would be backup ruck and there is more chance of Cox going into the forward line.

Although you're right about the way the MN works, you can't guarantee Cox will come down in price after round 3. His average against his first few opponents is above [his regular] average, and its not totally unlikely that he'll pull a 140 against Brisbane in Round 1. Be careful with any assumptions.

As for your question, I believe it comes down to the value of a trade. How much is a trade worth? $100k? $200k? $300k? or more? How about in terms of points?

Its not an easy question to answer, and I can't say I've got it all figured out myself. However, there may be some other NP members who can provide a little insight.

Start with cox. You can never have enough trades IMO, and there always seems to be enough cash if you select the right cash cows, and the right players to downgrade your cash cows too...

In a sense, your asking, would you rather start with an extra 100k and 19 trades, or 20 trades?

IIRC, every player must increase on last years average by 10% to remain at their starting price for the first few rounds. This means alot of players' price will fall after round 3, even though the higher priced you are the larger the fall, I still wouldn't worry too much about Cox's price falling initially - historically he starts the season on fire. I even think his price rose after round 3 this year. If you select Ottens you are picking him with the intention of keeping him for an entire season.

So trading him to Cox at round 3/at all would
A) be a 'wasted' trade - keeper for a keeper (although it will increase your points the trade can be utilised much better)
B) would hardly save you any cash - cox could go up/remain same, ottens could fall

Much better to either start with a cheaper player who may rise initally and trade him to Cox at around rounds 8-10 when his price has platued a-bit. Or just start Cox over Ottens. Or keep Ottens and Simmo and don't get Cox. It's your team so good luck with the decision. :)

BW; I'm pretty sure Dogs figured out the value of a trade in terms of points at some point during the year... this is where Dogs comes in and simply 'wows' the adoring fans ;)

Although you're right about the way the MN works, you can't guarantee Cox will come down in price after round 3. His average against his first few opponents is above [his regular] average, and its not totally unlikely that he'll pull a 140 against Brisbane in Round 1. Be careful with any assumptions.

As for your question, I believe it comes down to the value of a trade. How much is a trade worth? $100k? $200k? $300k? or more? How about in terms of points?

Its not an easy question to answer, and I can't say I've got it all figured out myself. However, there may be some other NP members who can provide a little insight.
Yeh i think cox could average 110+ for first 5 rounds quite easily which would ruin your plan...

If you divide 100,000 by MN (4777) you get 20.9 - this is how many poiunts 100k is worth in round 1. This only goes up as the magic number increases...

(could be way wrong, im not too good at the MN calculations....)

Remove this Banner Ad

DT rucks 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back