DT rucks 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Ollies = Junior Boi

He isnt being discrete enough.

Not every Newbie is JB, DWD. Every username/poster should be accepted in the DT community, like how you are now accepted even after making two seperate accounts.

Well said GS.

DWD, consider yourself lucky that you're actually getting a 3rd chance. Also, you need to relax a bit more. DT is fun remember?

Here's the West Coast training report I was referring to before:

Cox/Seaby, and Lynch/Sullivan paired off to do ruck contests and sprinting. Cox and Seaby had decent duels in the ruck but Seaby was left for dead in the running. I assume that Lynch will be our third choice ruckman. He towelled Sullivan and threw him around like a rag doll. Sullivans pace off the mark however was excellent. I would say he still needs to add on another 10-15kg before being AFL ready.

Good bit of investigating their Virgil.

Though my only query is, is Lynch effective as a ruckman, even if he is used temporarily?

I don't think he would be personally. It's probably only the fact that Sullivan is built like a twig that he dominated in them particular ruck contests. He wouldn't be able to man handle his opponents like that in AFL conditions, against more seasoned bodies.

I would think Woosha would know that too, but you never know. He could chuck Lynchy in the ruck for some extra variety at times. I guess the NAB Cup could answer a few of these questions as well...

Nah! I'm an ex Tasmanian from 15 years ago who's having to get his AFL fix by absentia these days as I now live in Cairns and coverage is crap. I've been playing DT forever it seems right back to its inception in the Australian newspaper before the AFL site picked it up. In fact I think the Age had it first before the Austalian--anyway no matter--point is I'm as oldx as Methusla however you spell that. My best result was 2005 when I peaked 5th and finished 13th. I have most trouble starting off as once you're 300-400 behind the leader after 3 weeks its very hard to catch up.

Having said all that just an observation. When the MN was changed by Monty it appeared to make fitting the goodies in too easy compared with recent seasons. I'll be surprised if we can be so lucky!

Good bit of investigating their Virgil.

Though my only query is, is Lynch effective as a ruckman, even if he is used temporarily?

I don't think he would be personally. It's probably only the fact that Sullivan is built like a twig that he dominated in them particular ruck contests. He wouldn't be able to man handle his opponents like that in AFL conditions, against more seasoned bodies.

I would think Woosha would know that too, but you never know. He could chuck Lynchy in the ruck for some extra variety at times. I guess the NAB Cup could answer a few of these questions as well...

Yeah, you're probably right there GS. I think what Lynch would add in the ruck is his running ability and his ability at ground level where he can effectively play as a midfielder. Provides a big advantage strategically if your ruckman is able to run off his opponent and set up play.

Statistically, Lynch scored 49 hit-outs in 2008 (disregarding the games where he didn't get any he averaged nearly 4 per game), and I doubt he'd come up against the opposition's number one ruckman all that often, so I suppose he has potential to be a decent relief player.

Lynch played in the midfield for the last couple of games, and did reasonably well pumping the ball inside 50. The Key is, if Kennedy can go well at CHF, and Brown can hold down FF, and with mckinley and lecras in the pockets, lynch may be forced to move to the midfield. Watch NAB cup for the form of Kennedy and Brown to see where lynch might end up playing

Yeah but the lower the MN the more premiums we can pick then the fewer hidden gems we have to uncover--think Medhurst last year. That's the difficult part;finding those one or two big improvers that few others pick. If we have too much cash the sides all start toi be of equal merit. Sorry I think I'm using a specific thread for a general observation--I'll shut up till i've got something more pertinent to say.

An extra observation/question. I found the eliminator very interesting last year. I found watching the head to head unfold fascinating. Are people likely to bring trades forward to try to get set for the eliminator?

Article in Sydney Morning Herald today, saying that leo barry will be out until about round 4-5 (roos said maybe longer ;) ) as he had knee surgery last friday. This, i would think, means white will take his spot as the KP, and currie will get games off the swans bench rotating through the rucks. Great news for currie i would think - well for at least the first 4-5 rounds. Hopefully he can cement a place in the team during this time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Article in Sydney Morning Herald today, saying that leo barry will be out until about round 4-5 (roos said maybe longer ;) ) as he had knee surgery last friday. This, i would think, means white will take his spot as the KP, and currie will get games off the swans bench rotating through the rucks. Great news for currie i would think - well for at least the first 4-5 rounds. Hopefully he can cement a place in the team during this time.

I expect that would be the case. White will be used in defence or even in the ruck throughout the year. I also expect Currie to get game time becaue we only have one recognised ruckman in Jolly.

HS confirms that while there will be four field umpires in NAB Cup this year, only 3 will be on the field at any one time (ie rotated through).

This effectively puts a bullet through the "you have to choose a mobile ruckman who can make it to the ruck contests before the extra ump throws it in" camp. All those rucks you dismissed are now back on the table.

Back to your squads folks. Who'd have thought there was so much fun to be had choosing 2 spots in a DT side?

HS confirms that while there will be four field umpires in NAB Cup this year, only 3 will be on the field at any one time (ie rotated through).

This effectively puts a bullet through the "you have to choose a mobile ruckman who can make it to the ruck contests before the extra ump throws it in" camp. All those rucks you dismissed are now back on the table.

Back to your squads folks. Who'd have thought there was so much fun to be had choosing 2 spots in a DT side?

Isn't it exactly the same?

3 field umpires on the ground?

How will this make a difference..

But how many boundary umpires will there be in the NAB Cup and season proper?

To my eye, this was the change last year (implemented mid-season, from two to four) that initiated the ruck debate. Having two boundary umpires on either side of the ground was what sped the game up, nothing to do with field umpires at all.

Having said that though, the rule they introduced last year - *during* the season - did look to do a number on the "immobile" ruckmen...

And it was introduced mid-season. Who knows if they'll try to slip it in again... (said the actress to the bishop)

Regarding the boundary umpires-if they don't announce they are going back to two on the field, then IMO they will be keeping 4 as that was the official rule. They don't announce rules they are keeping, just those they are changing.

I have only just stumbled across this thread and read the first few pages and skipped to the last few pages. Therefore my input could be useless as there is a high probability that it has been mentioned, so I apologise in advance if that is the case.

The conjecture seems to be based on Cox and whether or not he is worth his price. For those of you who are opting to trade him in and save some cash and utilise the remaining cash on upgrades elsewhere, you need to evaluate as to which point will you bring him in. Theoretically, this trading in Cox strategy could work awesomely if he doesn't live up to his expectations.

Conversely, the value Cox can bring to your side in the first 4 or 5 rounds, cannot be underestimated if he surpasses his expected numbers ... and the points lost could be massive. The counter argument here is, you could make up the lost points on the upgrades that you have made with the extra cash. Could is the operative word though. These potential upgrades could be ironically disastrous, especially if the selected players don't perform as well. So, ultimately it becomes a bit of a hit and miss.

So the question you need to ask yourself is, Is Cox and his potential to score big at the start of the year and give you a respectable head start against those who didn't select him worth the speculative amount you could save by trading him in at a later stage? After all the facts are,

a) Cox is the premier ruckman of the competition and a phenomenal captain choice

b) price drop amount is speculative and may only drop 30 - 50k (could very well be more) which leads me to c.

c) How much would you pay for a trade at the end of the year when trades are scarce? You obviously don't waste a trade to bring him in. Weigh up his potential price drop with the value of saving this trade. This saved trade could potentially let you sell a cow which could yield you anywhere between 50k - 200k. Turning over as many cows as you can is IMO the key to this game.

Going back to the start of my post, which related to the posters who want to trade Cox in at a later stage to save some coin. What difference is there really to looking at this strategy in reverse and not spending the cash in the other areas to effectively secure one of the most dominant DT'ers of our game? Especially when there is only one real Elite in the Rucks. Other areas have many more elites. Either way, the money is going to be spent somewhere ... unless of course your plan is to keep some money in the bank, which in this case, it would require a completely different strategy again.

Therefore my input could be useless as there is a high probability that it has been mentioned, so I apologise in advance if that is the case.

Yeah I would say most of your points have been covered in the pages you skipped.

I don't think all the people proposing to avoid Cox are planning to trade him in at a later date. I think a lot of them are planning to never get him during the season, so point (c) about Trading Saving is moot for those people.

I think the biggest mistake many players including myself make is two fold.
Firstly sideways trades. You get a player and end up swapping to someone of equal value. This could be a cash cow, mid range or premium. Overall its been a killer mistake and one i'll avoid at all costs (Excludes injuries, dropped players and long suspensions).

2nd mistake thats made is not having a plan.
At the start of the season you need to go in knowing who you intend to keep.
Who you intend to trade up and you need about 4-8 trades up your sleeve for injuries, suspensions or dropped players depending on how risky your setup is. As long as you go into the season knowing you want to get Cox, you know where to spend your trades and you have enough of a buffer / Captaincy choices then not getting Cox is fine.

Im sure at one point in the year he will drop a minimum of 50k, it might not be at the point you have a cash cow ready but as long as youve got abit of cash and you can wait it out you will pick him up cheaper. The difference is about 20ppg, more if he was a better captaincy choice than your current lineup. Just depends on whether you feel by holding off the Cox trade you can get 20ppg somewhere else.

Im thinking Ottens / Mcintosh at the moment.
$150k saving. 32ppg less if he performs at 08 levels.
Say if I spend this in the midfield.
Go from a $250k player to Joel Selwood (which is what im consdering)
This is from 57ppg to 91ppg a 34ppg saving. Also considering most expect Selwood to do better than last year even more potential points. As such its probably worthwhile as I think Cox wont do the same as last year because they will have a stronger team this year (less injuries) and Cox will likely get less of those cheap possessions he got last year due to the midfield being useless and Cox breaking free of his opponent.

I think the biggest mistake many players including myself make is two fold.
Firstly sideways trades. You get a player and end up swapping to someone of equal value. This could be a cash cow, mid range or premium. Overall its been a killer mistake and one i'll avoid at all costs (Excludes injuries, dropped players and long suspensions).

2nd mistake thats made is not having a plan.
At the start of the season you need to go in knowing who you intend to keep.
Who you intend to trade up and you need about 4-8 trades up your sleeve for injuries, suspensions or dropped players depending on how risky your setup is. As long as you go into the season knowing you want to get Cox, you know where to spend your trades and you have enough of a buffer / Captaincy choices then not getting Cox is fine.

Im sure at one point in the year he will drop a minimum of 50k, it might not be at the point you have a cash cow ready but as long as youve got abit of cash and you can wait it out you will pick him up cheaper. The difference is about 20ppg, more if he was a better captaincy choice than your current lineup. Just depends on whether you feel by holding off the Cox trade you can get 20ppg somewhere else.

Im thinking Ottens / Mcintosh at the moment.
$150k saving. 32ppg less if he performs at 08 levels.
Say if I spend this in the midfield.
Go from a $250k player to Scott Selwood (which is what im consdering)
This is from 57ppg to 91ppg a 34ppg saving. Also considering most expect Selwood to do better than last year even more potential points. As such its probably worthwhile as I think Cox wont do the same as last year because they will have a stronger team this year (less injuries) and Cox will likely get less of those cheap possessions he got last year due to the midfield being useless and Cox breaking free of his opponent.

I'm hoping you mean Joel Selwood here, because i very much doubt Scott will average what yr stating.

Dean Cox is a must IMO because as Nebula says, they're are no other ruckman anywhere near capable of scoring like Cox. I dont think that the development in increasing pts for other positions is by far greater then rucks, obvious i know. But is it worth an upgrade from JWS to Birchall, Adcock to Enright, Pettered to Malceski, Nicoski to Gram. Not imo

Remove this Banner Ad

DT rucks 2009

Remove this Banner Ad

Back