Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You can detest Richmond and every one who dons the yellow and black with every fibre of your being - maybe your dog was run over by Dustin Martin, who knows - but you must be a pretty sad individual to troll a 300 game player's retirement thread.

No one gets to 100 games, much less 300, by being a spud. Yes, endless Pendlebury vs Martin posts and Tigers fans acting like he is the second coming of Jesus, whatever, it's just footy banter. Thanks for the memories Dusty and he will be missed, not just by Tigers fans. Possibly the GOAT finals player.

goodbye GIF

Took too long to reach his best... polled Brownlow votes in four games in his debut season, in a team that went 6-15. Rising Star nomination, ultimately ineligible due to suspension. The following year polled in six games in a team that went 8-1-13 and finished third in the B&F. 2012 was the sleeping pill/Daniel Connors year, and possibly his worst (until 2024). Then from 2013 he was away (polled 16 votes in 8 games) with 2014 being the first of his 8 AA squads.

He means he wasn’t winning Norm Smiths in his first year or two. Which you have to admit was a bit disappointing😉

(Log in to remove this ad.)

An icon of the game, not many teams you play and fear what one man can do will pretty much determine the result. Power, speed and ice in his veins. He did it his style and stayed true to that so major respect for that, without meaning to became the man of mystery and has profited off just being himself. The phone calls on SEN are crazy for how much love is for this guy, he is a genuine idol. Well done Dusty true CHAMPION!

This really is the full stop on the Tigers era. I knew it was coming but still hits hard.

Dusty gave my family so much joy. He could do what very few others could. He even inspired a hairstyle and his signature onfield move! Had commentators calling it the 'Dusty' even when other players did it.

One of the greatest to ever play. Loved how he always 'Don't Argued' the media and was always true to himself.

I think it’s hard to call someone the goat in afl footy, given is a 22 man side but I’m happy to call Dusty the goat of my life time. Id take a big game super star like him over brownlows and what ever else

Also.. that 2017 year was the best individual season I’ve seen from a player

Was watching Michael Johnson the track and field superstar talk about greatness in athletes and he said a fair bit but it was about preforming your best when it mattered the most.
I hope to see other players come along and be great but that 2017 season from Martin was the highest level I’ve seen from a player and that in itself puts him in the pantheon of all time.
Nobody else has a Brownlow, two premierships and two Norm Smiths and that’s before 2020.
Thanks for the memories Dusty your the Champ.

Very fortunate to have been his entire career, especially as a Tiger member.

Has brought more joy to me than Richo, which I didn't think was possible.

2017 is to date the greatest individual year I have seen from a player in my lifetime, all things considered (modern era, current state of the game, individual accolades, team success, pure aesthetics/watchable, domination, and the fairytale of fortunes between '16-'17).

Has been great when it mattered since then but 2017 will always be very special.

Thanks Dusty. I hope you are never seen in public again and actually get to enjoy your life without being abused by the media.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back