Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to those saying ‘big game player’ and so on.

Dusty sits 8th all time for total Brownlow votes, averaging 0.78 per game which is the same as Ablett Jnr, Swan. Judd with 0.80. All considered great H&A season players. Perhaps his otherworldly finals performances have overshadowed that he’s actually also been a very good and consistent H&A player?

Food for thought.

Thank you Dusty.
Richmond’s ordinary state from 2009-2016 has really overshadowed that he was already a very damaging player.

The only negative I remember about younger Dusty is that he didn’t always have it for four quarters. Once he got a full tank he was unstoppable at his peak.

They're a sensitive bunch. They don't mind pumping up their own players tyres, but are happy to make "honest" appraisals on other champion players, just look at their posts in the Pendlebury thread.

But on Dusty, whilst it took a him while to find consistency and reach his peak, and faded pretty quickly after it, his best is as good as you'll ever see. He's the definition of a big game player. A pleasure to have watched him.

When comparing his first 7-years from 2010-2016 against the first 7-years of a couple of greats:

Disposals :
Pendles: 24.76
Martin: 24.55
Danger: 20.15

Goals & Goal Assists:
Martin: 1.57
Danger: 1.29
Pendles: 1.29

Brownlow votes:
Martin: 0.64
Pendles: 0.53
Danger: 0.49

Coaches votes:
Martin: 2.17
Pendles: 1.88
Danger: 1.63

He was much better prior to 2017 than anyone was aware. Just his 2017-2020 was so extraordinary his 2010-16 is put into the shade. But his first 7-years were outstanding as the above shows.

Led a laughing stock to a dynasty. In Richmond’s 10 x finals wins across 2017-20 culminating in 3 x flags he received 79 x coaches votes of a possible 100 including 3 x Ayres awards and 3 x NS.

Legend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

When comparing his first 7-years from 2010-2016 against the first 7-years of a couple of greats:

Disposals :
Pendles: 24.76
Martin: 24.55
Danger: 20.15

Goals & Goal Assists:
Martin: 1.57
Danger: 1.29
Pendles: 1.29

Brownlow votes:
Martin: 0.64
Pendles: 0.53
Danger: 0.49

Coaches votes:
Martin: 2.17
Pendles: 1.88
Danger: 1.63

He was much better prior to 2017 than anyone was aware. Just his 2017-2020 was so extraordinary his 2010-16 is put into the shade. But his first 7-years were outstanding as the above shows.

Led a laughing stock to a dynasty. In Richmond’s 10 x finals wins across 2017-20 culminating in 3 x flags he received 79 x coaches votes of a possible 100 including 3 x Ayres awards and 3 x NS.

Legend.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
He was quality from his first year, I think he averaged 20+ and kicked 33 goals or similar in his second year playing midfield. His early career is very underrated and many think he came good from about 2016 onwards, but he was always a good player he just went to new levels as his career went on.

Eventually unfortunate circumstances, father time and his body got him and he declined at the end, but even in 2023 he was still playing very good footy.

Quite consistent over the years aside from some patchy late career form in his last few.

Thank you Dusty. You did it on your terms from the very start to the very end. The greatest tiger I’ve seen in my lifetime and one of the greatest players the game has seen. Had the pleasure of watching you in finals and grand finals turning it on and willing the team over the line making tiger dreams come true.
A giant of the game and true legend.
Enjoy retirement mate.

Last edited:
I’m a little bit sad with this news

What a champion, unfortunately that kidney injury really took away that explosiveness and he wasn’t able to recuperate that strength and fitness at 30ish - very big ask after losing 10kg

At his best he was incredible, some of those goals he kicked in those finals series were all timers, especially that shrug of Danger and snap from the boundary

His finals accolades are unmatched

I think he could have been better though. Took too long to reach his best and was only at his best for 4 or 5 seasons before he quickly got worse. 4 All Australians for his career really isn't enough for a player with his level of talent.

Competed with Danger a lot. Danger has 8 AA, yet Dusty in the 4 years Danger made it that Dusty didn't, Dusty was statistically better as a mid/forward in 3 of them.

We all know reputations play a part in selection.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you fishing bruv?

anyway i'll bite!!

dusty was consistent since day 1 and even earlier this year was racking up close to 30 possesions playing 10% midfield.

ever since Robinson ploughed into his back he hasnt been the same player and his strength in his kicking has diminished

also unlike a swans player who only need to have 5 good games in season to get an AA jumper richmond players dont get that same generosity!
I think people forget the significance of that injury suffered from the Robinson collision and how it impacted him and the club's prospects post the last flag in 2020. He took a long time to get back on the field and find his game again though has never been the same since.

I’ve cried about 6 times as an adult. He’s responsible for over half of them. Long live the King.

1. Morning after 17 EF
2. Post 17 GF
3. Post 19 GF
4. Wedding day
5. Birth of son
6. Post 300th v the Hawks

You cried after his 300th, that's pretty weird bro

This one hurts as much as Richo... An absolute champion of the game and a future legend of the AFL and the RFC.

A silent, humble champion who let his football do the talking for him and shied away from the fame, media and spotlight that came from being arguably the games greatest ever finals player.

Thank you for the ride, the memories and happiness you brought to this tiger tragic and the hundreds of thousands of members of the Tiger Army.

May you now find peace and balance in your life out of the spotlight, with your family and friends. You deserve it, mate.

I wish you all the best! 🐯🖤💛

I think he could have been better though. Took too long to reach his best and was only at his best for 4 or 5 seasons before he quickly got worse. 4 All Australians for his career really isn't enough for a player with his level of talent.

Don't agree with this.

AA is more tainted than the Brownlow.

I think there's genuine merit to making the AA40 because it tends to be a good selection of players who have performed well. Those that 'make' the team always raise eyebrows but the 40 NEVER does.

Stuff the jackets.

An icon of the game, not many teams you play and fear what one man can do will pretty much determine the result. Power, speed and ice in his veins. He did it his style and stayed true to that so major respect for that, without meaning to became the man of mystery and has profited off just being himself. The phone calls on SEN are crazy for how much love is for this guy, he is a genuine idol. Well done Dusty true CHAMPION!

The Peoples Champion.
I think it’s hard to call someone the goat in afl footy, given is a 22 man side but I’m happy to call Dusty the goat of my life time. Id take a big game super star like him over brownlows and what ever else

Also.. that 2017 year was the best individual season I’ve seen from a player

Exactly - when it truly mattered most. He delivered in Home & Away footy....but he delivered in Finals football more so than any other player in the past 10 to 15 years, especially in Grand Finals.

Averaged 3.3 goals and 24 possessions per Grand Final. For modern footy that is unbelievably good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Retiring Dustin Martin - retiring effective immediately 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back