Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 25, 2019
Logopolis
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
This is a story that keeps on growing legs in the media and rumour mill, and it's something that needs to be discussed about.

Dusty apparently keen on escaping the media ratrace and scrutiny in Melbourne, and move/relocate to Sydney.

Swans more linked at this stage, but The Giants have the better trade assets for Richmond if Dusty wants to go (and doesn't sound like the Tigers will stop him going, provided they get a good deal in return)

Ralphie's trade suggestion in the HUN today sounds pretty good to me, Taranto and the Giants first rounder this year for Dusty

Classic win-win I reckon.

This is a story that keeps on growing legs in the media and rumour mill, and it's something that needs to be discussed about.

Dusty apparently keen on escaping the media ratrace and scrutiny in Melbourne, and move/relocate to Sydney.

Swans more linked at this stage, but The Giants have the better trade assets for Richmond if Dusty wants to go (and doesn't sound like the Tigers will stop him going, provided they get a good deal in return)

Ralphie's trade suggestion in the HUN today sounds pretty good to me, Taranto and the Giants first rounder this year for Dusty

Dusty is 31 in a month. Paying Taranto AND what will likely be a top 5 pick for a 31 year old would be a pretty wild overpay. That's basically what Carlton paid for Chris Judd when he was in his absolute prime.

If Richmond get Taranto and a first for Dusty at 31 years of age, I wouldnt be surprised if they "dont want to stand in his way" either. That's a "thanks for your services, off you go" type deal.

Even the straight swap for Taranto given the age difference would be incredible for the Tigers

Dusty is 31 in a month. Paying Taranto AND what will likely be a top 5 pick for a 31 year old would be a pretty wild overpay. That's basically what Carlton paid for Chris Judd when he was in his absolute prime.
This is without the obvious fact that Dusty could just retire at any time .... nothing keeping him in the game if he losses the passion

If Richmond get Taranto and a first for Dusty at 31 years of age, I wouldnt be surprised if they "dont want to stand in his way" either. That's a "thanks for your services, off you go" type deal.

Even the straight swap for Taranto given the age difference would be incredible for the Tigers

Yeah I thought the angle that story took was pretty crazy. I think if Dusty leaves they probably get a late first for him at best.

I also dont see Richmond haggling too much over him. Think it would be one where Richmond say thanks for everything and just facilitate it (within reason).

That said, not sure either Sydney team really needs him. He would obviously be great for any team but hes not enough of a need to justify either side parting with anything meaningful for him.

Piss myself laughing

Dusty is the type of player that could play well into his 30s. Has been extremely durable throughout his career and doesn't rely on speed or leap. It's not like he's gonig to be moving into coaching or the media after he finishes up either, so he'll probably want to make the most of his career and earn as much as he can.

He's also the greatest finals player ever and contracted for two more years. A straight swap for Tarranto is definitely unders. Richmond far more likely to be interested in Green anyway.

Dusty is the type of player that could play well into his 30s. Has been extremely durable throughout his career and doesn't rely on speed or leap. It's not like he's gonig to be moving into coaching or the media after he finishes up either, so he'll probably want to make the most of his career and earn as much as he can.

He's also the greatest finals player ever and contracted for two more years. A straight swap for Tarranto is definitely unders. Richmond far more likely to be interested in Green anyway.
Yeah, no bias here... If he wants to move and if your club is fine with it, a straight swap for Taranto is not unders and I doubt anyone other than Richmond supporters would think otherwise

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing.” Damian Hardwick

Hardwick seems to think there’s a decision that is waiting to be made which is one of the first real signs of Dusty being unsure of his future at tigers.

“Whatever Dustin’s decision is moving forward is up to Dustin and to be honest he has my blessing.” Damian Hardwick

Hardwick seems to think there’s a decision that is waiting to be made which is one of the first real signs of Dusty being unsure of his future at tigers.

Think Peggy said something like that the other day too. 9
Clearly the death of his old man has had a really profound impact on him, and he is a fairly private and person despite his on field brilliance and showmanship

He would get a lot more privacy and space to life his own life up in Sydney, can't begrudge him for that.

Will be an Richmond immortal/GOAT no matter where he ends his playing career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, no bias here... If he wants to move and if your club is fine with it, a straight swap for Taranto is not unders and I doubt anyone other than Richmond supporters would think otherwise
I think you’d be mistaken. Like the poster said previously, Martin is nearly unstoppable in finals football and will still comfortably play another 3-4 years up forward and give you 40+ goals and plenty of midfield pinch hitting.

It’s not just about what this guy will give you on the field aswell. A club like GWS would literally fall over themselves to have the biggest name in the AFL promote their club.

Taranto and a first round pick would be close to the mark but Richmond will be after Tom Green make no doubts about that.

I think you’d be mistaken. Like the poster said previously, Martin is nearly unstoppable in finals football and will still comfortably play another 3-4 years up forward and give you 40+ goals and plenty of midfield pinch hitting.

It’s not just about what this guy will give you on the field aswell. A club like GWS would literally fall over themselves to have the biggest name in the AFL promote their club.

Taranto and a first round pick would be close to the mark but Richmond will be after Tom Green make no doubts about that.
I'm not convinced we'd even be interested in Taranto. We went hard at the draft on players with good footskills and Matt Clarke made a comment about how they think that's where the games moving back to with the stand rule.

Tarranto is a contested beast though, which we're lacking, but he's also a bit of a butcher (hence why GWS fans are so happy to offload him).

Yes, I have watched football the last 10 years, prime Dusty is an unstoppable finals beast. Taranto and any kind of first, yet alone a top 10 pick like GWS will have this year is insanity, regardless of the number of times or ways Richmond supporters say "GOAT".

Ignoring the fact that the AFL fudged pick 19 for Steven Motlop, The GAJ trade (at two years older) was effectively:
Steven Motlop and a future 2nd for 24 and Ablett, and you think Dusty is getting you effectively two top 10 picks and change?

Yes, I have watched football the last 10 years, prime Dusty is an unstoppable finals beast. Taranto and any kind of first, yet alone a top 10 pick like GWS will have this year is insanity, regardless of the number of times or ways Richmond supporters say "GOAT".

Ignoring the fact that the AFL fudged pick 19 for Steven Motlop, The GAJ trade (at two years older) was effectively:
Steven Motlop and a future 2nd for 24 and Ablett, and you think Dusty is getting you effectively two top 10 picks and change?
GAJ was spent when we moved back to Geelong. Terrible comparison.

GAJ was spent when we moved back to Geelong. Terrible comparison.
That's what happens as you hit 30, the end comes closer and closer. It's as close a compariosn as you are going to get for a similar trade. Great of the game, past their prime with varying interests in footy. There is no way you would get close to Taranto + 1st for him, and if you dont rate Taranto and would rather Green, you're not getting close to a direct swap of Green and Martin either.

That's what happens as you hit 30, the end comes closer and closer. It's as close a compariosn as you are going to get for a similar trade. Great of the game, past their prime with varying interests in footy. There is no way you would get close to Taranto + 1st for him, and if you dont rate Taranto and would rather Green, you're not getting close to a direct swap of Green and Martin either.
Ablett was 33 and could hardly string back to back games together.

Martin will be 31 and has been one of the most durable un-injured superstars of the competition.

Not even close to what this situation will be treated like.

Martin arriving at a club like GWS or Sydney will instantly make either a top 4 lock and will have the best finals player ever. So i can guarantee you that any Martin trade will be involving at least two first round picks if not a first round and a star mid.

Ablett was 33 and could hardly string back to back games together.

Martin will be 31 and has been one of the most durable un-injured superstars of the competition.

Not even close to what this situation will be treated like.

Martin arriving at a club like GWS or Sydney will instantly make either a top 4 lock and will have the best finals player ever. So i can guarantee you that any Martin trade will be involving at least two first round picks if not a first round and a star mid.
K, hard disagree, if anyone gives you a young star mid and a first round pick then they can replace Ned Guy as the poster child for inept list management.

Its an interesting one. Taranto and a 1st round pick would pretty much be an offer we couldn't refuse. Assuming we don't pay any of Dustys contract, he would be on a very backended deal so that would also free up decent cash to get a free agent. So potentially 2 excellent players + a first rounder. Dusty has gotten decent numbers in his games back but like the Carlton game in round 1 to me doesn't seem overly invested. But then hes probably our best ever player and he carried us to 3 flags, so wit would be pretty emotional seeing him play elsewhere, even if it is for a nothing club like GWS. But yeah that deal we would have to take if he asked to leave.

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back