Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hes 31 next month and just missed 7 weeks for personal reasons. He will just retire and move to Sydney if they don't trade. He isn't worth 1 1st rounder let alone 2

He would be freeing up a huge amount of money if he did that anyway. Surely hes on a backended deal so I would say 1.5 a year minimum. So there is no point giving him away for 2nd rounder, just let him retire and have heaps of cash to chase free agents over the next 2 years. Also GWS could never get close to affording him in the cap unless they trade one of their better players.

That's what happens as you hit 30, the end comes closer and closer. It's as close a compariosn as you are going to get for a similar trade. Great of the game, past their prime with varying interests in footy. There is no way you would get close to Taranto + 1st for him, and if you dont rate Taranto and would rather Green, you're not getting close to a direct swap of Green and Martin either.
You're trying to create a narrative that Dusty is old and past it and that's simply not true. He's just had 7 weeks off and has come back clearly a bit underdone and still managed 20 touches and 3 goals on the weekend and 23 touches and 2 goals the week before.

This isn't the same as a slowed down Gary Ablett moving clubs with his shoulder barely attached to his torso.

He would be freeing up a huge amount of money if he did that anyway. Surely hes on a backended deal so I would say 1.5 a year minimum. So there is no point giving him away for 2nd rounder, just let him retire and have heaps of cash to chase free agents over the next 2 years. Also GWS could never get close to affording him in the cap unless they trade one of their better players.

That is quite selfish. It would be a shame to lose him to the game because Richmond wouldn’t facilitate a deal.

The bloke won you 3 flags and you wouldn't facilitate a trade for him personally? Lucky sounds like Dimma and the tigers have compassion

Won’t get Taranto and first
If Taranto was involved (who knows if we'd even be interested in him) a fair deal would probably be Taranto for Dusty with a swap of first round picks going our way (assuming current ladder positions were final ladder positions).

Taranto and a first (considering they have pick 4) is a bit ambitious and a straight swap is not enough.

I suspect a straight swap for Tom Green would be the deal Richmond would push for. Could work well for both parties, similar to the Shaw/Adams deal from a few years back.

Martin arriving at a club like GWS or Sydney will instantly make either a top 4 lock and will have the best finals player ever. So i can guarantee you that any Martin trade will be involving at least two first round picks if not a first round and a star mid.
Age and possibility of mental problems going forward means neither Sydney side would give up too much for what could be a bum deal. He could see out his contract at Richmond but play the mental health break for periods of the next two years as well. Buyer beware.

Taranto and a first is pure idiotville, same as suggestions of two firsts. Neither Sydney side is so close to a flag that the addition of a damaged Martin is a must for them.

Martin also comes with a massive contract that would stuff the salary cap of either club. Swans looking forward to cap relief from the Buddy mega deal and GWS have a number of players on really big coin so can't have too much space.

Richmond supporters - tell 'em they're dreaming

No club with half a brain is going to mortgage it's future for a 31 year old player, no matter how good he is.

The Giants don't even make sense... Despite having talent on that list they are more than Dusty away from being a contender.

Dusty when fit still may be close to the best player in the league, but he is a long long way from the most valuable at this age.

Age and possibility of mental problems going forward means neither Sydney side would give up too much for what could be a bum deal. He could see out his contract at Richmond but play the mental health break for periods of the next two years as well. Buyer beware.

Taranto and a first is pure idiotville, same as suggestions of two firsts. Neither Sydney side is so close to a flag that the addition of a damaged Martin is a must for them.

Martin also comes with a massive contract that would stuff the salary cap of either club. Swans looking forward to cap relief from the Buddy mega deal and GWS have a number of players on really big coin so can't have too much space.
I think there'd be potential for us to assist with paying some of his contract, similar to how we got a decent deal for Lids by doing so. Richmond and GWS have quite a strong trading relationship.

If he wanted to go to the Swans, getting a deal done would probably be a bit harder. Any players we'd want, they wouldn't be too keen to let go of. They don't have an oversupply of big bodied mids or any decents picks like the Giants do.

Richmond supporters - tell 'em they're dreaming
So losing a loved one makes a player damaged goods does it??

You're trying to create a narrative that Dusty is old and past it and that's simply not true. He's just had 7 weeks off and has come back clearly a bit underdone and still managed 20 touches and 3 goals on the weekend and 23 touches and 2 goals the week before.

This isn't the same as a slowed down Gary Ablett moving clubs with his shoulder barely attached to his torso.
Cool dude, I'm inventing a narrative that he's 31 in a month and like every player over 30, far closer to the end then the beginning.

Let's be generous and say he's definitely playing when he's 36. That's at best, 100 more games. Taranto has at least 150 in him, a pick top 10 pick averages about 150. You are proposing GWS are going to trade you a proven elite player with at least 150 games and a pick you'd expect to give you 150 games (and a lot more if your not a spud drafter) for a dude giving at most 100 more games.

Like I said, the day that deal gets done is the day Ned Guy breathes a massive sigh of relief.

Last edited:
I think there'd be potential for us to assist with paying some of his contract, similar to how we got a decent deal for Lids by doing so. Richmond and GWS have quite a strong trading relationship.

If he wanted to go to the Swans, getting a deal done would probably be a bit harder. Any players we'd want, they wouldn't be too keen to let go of. They don't have an oversupply of big bodied mids or any decents picks like the Giants do.
He isn't worth a whole lot. If he wants to go it will be for personal reasons in which he will most likely retire if not met. The coach today said they wouldn't hold him back. He is almost 31 missed the 2nd half of last year with a kidney issue and 7 games this year with mental health. He isn't 2017/18 Dusty anymore his value is not that high

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne's first this year that the swans possess for dusty. You heard it here first
and how much of the $1.5mill per year are Richmond paying? Swans reportedly are tight on cap space, it's why they let Hewett leave, I wanted him at the Crows

As a neutral, I must say the thought of Buddy and Dusty in the same forward line would be worth watching on a Friday night. A lot better than Essendon currently!

and how much of the $1.5mill per year are Richmond paying? Swans reportedly are tight on cap space, it's why they let Hewett leave, I wanted him at the Crows

As a neutral, I must say the thought of Buddy and Dusty in the same forward line would be worth watching on a Friday night. A lot better than Essendon currently!
We were so tight on cap space that we offered more per year than Adelaide for dawson

Maybe we let hewett go knowing we were after dusty.

Buddy dropped 500k this year and isn't contracted for next.

Jpk gone at years end

Ablett was 33 and could hardly string back to back games together.

Martin will be 31 and has been one of the most durable un-injured superstars of the competition.

Not even close to what this situation will be treated like.

Martin arriving at a club like GWS or Sydney will instantly make either a top 4 lock and will have the best finals player ever. So i can guarantee you that any Martin trade will be involving at least two first round picks if not a first round and a star mid.
He's so durable that his barely played in the last 12 months for 2 significant reasons. He doesn't look that motivated and could easily not last long term if mentally he's not in the game.

Huge risk, I'd say Richmond are willing to let him go mainly due to the salary it will free up and since he won't be around for the next tilt so maybe they need to learn to live without him. Cashing in with a pick or player would be handy but it's not going to be another superstar or more than a single 1st round pick.

Cool dude, I'm inventing a narrative that he's 31 in a month and like every player over 30, far closer to the end then the beginning.

Let's be generous and say he's definitely playing when he's 36. That's at best, 100 more games. Taranto has at least 150 in him, a pick top 10 pick averages about 150. You are proposing GWS are going to trade you a proven elite player with at least 150 games and a pick you'd expect to give you 150 games (and a lot more if your not a spud drafter) for a dude giving at most 100 more games.

Like I said, the day that deal gets done is the day Ned Guy breathes a massive sigh of relief.
I never suggested Dusty is worth Taranto AND GWS' first rounder. You're getting me confused with Jon Ralph. I'm arguing that Dusty is worth more than Taranto on his own.

The value of a player isn't determined by how many games they played.

Will be a straight swap. Tom Green for Dusty.

GWS will be ok letting him go with the glut of mids they have and Richmond will be ok letting their matchwinner leave after years of service to the club.
Murmurings both want to leave their respective clubs and both clubs will do the right thing.

There won’t be any further haggling and both clubs will see it as a win for them.

Most teams would be happy to have a couple of years of Dusty, but given his age and the cost in trade and salry it would bring...hard to justify for Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Recommitted Dustin Martin [UFA 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back