Dusty watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol I can't believe the media. Remember how Tom Lynch sent the side into a 10 year rebuild when richmond starting picking up the suns' stars? Tom Lynch had just accepted the captaincy too. I was devastated coz seeing him in person, he seemed like a good person but just did a really shitty thing to the club. I dont remember him being scrutinised like this by the media tho.

Maybe if dustin martin has a really good year with the suns next year u could question how much he tried this year. Although there is a mental side to football which can't always be simplified in terms of how much u get paid to ur output and impact (look at luko).

My final question is... is there a club that wouldn't pick up dustin martin for $300,000? The answer to that question sums up the vic media bias IMO. I think the Suns forward line would walk a bit taller with Dusty there. But what do I know lol?

Lol I can't believe the media. Remember how Tom Lynch sent the side into a 10 year rebuild when richmond starting picking up the suns' stars? Tom Lynch had just accepted the captaincy too. I was devastated coz seeing him in person, he seemed like a good person but just did a really shitty thing to the club. I dont remember him being scrutinised like this by the media tho.

Maybe if dustin martin has a really good year with the suns next year u could question how much he tried this year. Although there is a mental side to football which can't always be simplified in terms of how much u get paid to ur output and impact (look at luko).

My final question is... is there a club that wouldn't pick up dustin martin for $300,000? The answer to that question sums up the vic media bias IMO. I think the Suns forward line would walk a bit taller with Dusty there. But what do I know lol?
The VIC media and many of the fans have one way memories

I think there is still a lot to play out & a chance Dusty & Carr don't take it seriously especially if the offer is 300k +

That's what Garry Lyon said anyway.

On Martin

‘Mad as hell’: Inside Dimma’s ‘warpath’ approach amid fascinating Dusty call​

Then there’s the Dustin Martin situation.

There’d been rumblings all season the Tigers champion was open to reuniting with Hardwick at the Suns and extending his career up north.

That appeared to go cold for a period when Martin called time on his AFL career, before it recently emerged the three-time Norm Smith medallist met up with Hardwick post season and was considering a retirement backflip.

Indications are that Martin, 33, has more interest in joining the Suns than they do in him, while he could be offered a contract worth around the $300,000 mark.

That’s a fair pay cut for one of the game’s all-time greats on a contract reportedly worth north of $1 million this year at Richmond.

So why is Gold Coast only offering $300,000?

“There was lots of discussions between Dusty and Gold Coast. Then he retired, radio silence and in two months, they spent their money everywhere on Mac Andrew, Daniel Rioli and John Noble,” Ralph told On the Couch.

“Then he calls Damien Hardwick and says: ‘Hey, I’m unretiring myself.’ But they haven’t got the cash.

“So a really interesting litmus test, do you want to play for $300,000? If he does, it’s the right reasons. Come and play in their first finals series and show your leadership.

“If not and you’re looking for superannuation, maybe it’s not the right reasons.

I think there is still a lot to play out & a chance Dusty & Carr don't take it seriously especially if the offer is 300k +

That's what Garry Lyon said anyway.
The initial report stated 350 to 550, and honestly I don’t think the media have a clue what’s been offered

The initial report stated 350 to 550, and honestly I don’t think the media have a clue what’s been offered
Gary Lyon and Jon Ralph certainly dont
We've all been down this path before
Really the only people that know are the players the Club and the AFL
Unless one of them squeals the pig stays hidden

I usually divide my time between the AFL reddit sub and lurking in the Suns Bigfooty forums. But I've avoided this page like the plague since I assumed my opinions on the situation would be deeply unpopular. I've never liked the Dusty to Gold Coast rumours, since I think his body is cooked and I assumed he would demand a contract in the 550k-750k range, considering how much money he was on the 2024 season. I was ecstatic when he retired because we couldn't waste our cap space on him. Didn't want to post that to this page, I assumed I'd get flamed.

However, the recent news that Gold Coast might be playing hardball with his contract is easing my concerns. I go back on forth on how useful of a marketing figure he would be considering his notorious distaste for public appearances, but he is a big name to AFL fans, and maybe some NRL fan recognizes him from a Bonds ad or whatever.

The thing is, I would be happy to have Dustin Martin as a marketing trick that plays 8 or 9 times a year. But I would be livid if the club wasted precious salary cap space on a man that won't be much of an asset on field, and may not meaningfully contribute to off-field leadership. It doesn't seem likely that the cap could be massaged through ambassadorial contracts since those contracts require media and community appearances. Gold Coast doesn't have the kind of sponsors who can kick in under the table like the Tom Hawkins-Cotton On thing that did the rounds on Reddit recently, so Dustin Martin has to be paid with the salary cap. It all comes down to money, and it might be prudent to be pretty stingy right now.

I usually divide my time between the AFL reddit sub and lurking in the Suns Bigfooty forums. But I've avoided this page like the plague since I assumed my opinions on the situation would be deeply unpopular. I've never like the Dusty to Gold Coast rumours, since I think his body is cooked and I assumed he would demand a contract in the 550k-750k range, considering how much money he was on the 2024 season. I was ecstatic when he retired because we couldn't waste our cap space on him. Didn't want to post that to this page, I assumed I'd get flamed.

However, the recent news that Gold Coast might be playing hardball with his contract is easing my concerns. I go back on forth on how useful of a marketing figure he would be considering his notorious distaste for public appearances, but he is a big name to AFL fans, and maybe some NRL fan recognizes him from a Bonds ad or whatever.

The thing is, I would be happy to have Dustin Martin as a marketing trick that plays 8 or 9 times a year. But I would be livid if the club wasted precious salary cap space on a man that won't be much of an asset on field, and may not meaningfully contribute to off-field leadership. It doesn't seem likely that the cap could be massaged through ambassadorial contracts since those contracts require media and community appearances. Gold Coast doesn't have the kind of sponsors who can kick in under the table like the Tom Hawkins-Cotton On thing that did the rounds on Reddit recently, so Dustin Martin has to be paid with the salary cap. It all comes down to money, and it might be prudent to be pretty stingy right now.
It's 2 years on near minimum wage
Don't sweat it
We have to spend the cap and we need players on list
Would you rather Dustin Martin or Ace Oea?

Well fellas it looks like the media has lied again.

Sen radio just said it was actually the Suns that reached out to Dusty and the offer was a significant amount of money not $300,000 peanuts.

I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore but I’m pretty confident now it isn’t happening especially now that Cotchin just said it too.

Probably the best decision for everybody tbh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sen radio just said it was actually the Suns that reached out to Dusty and the offer was a significant amount of money not $300,000 peanuts.

I honestly don’t know what to believe anymore but I’m pretty confident now it isn’t happening especially now that Cotchin just said it too.

That was correct 18 months ago, apparently not the case now

Wish they would finalise it one way or another

SEN 😂😂
God VFL people are losers

None of these clowns who are sitting in Melbourne/VFL land commenting on what’s happening here in our beautiful little city are anywhere near here.

They are an irrelevance

I like how you decided the media was lying previously when you heard information from the same media that’s more to your liking

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like how you decided the media was lying previously when you heard information from the same media that’s more to your liking

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sen said they confirmed it’s wrong. I didn’t decide anything. But we’ll see anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Dusty watch 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back