Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Where is Dylan Shiel getting traded?

• Carlton

Votes: 182 39.8%
  • Essendon

Votes: 37 8.1%
  • Hawthorn

Votes: 146 31.9%
  • St Kilda

Votes: 71 15.5%
  • Other

Votes: 21 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

AA last year.

At a guess he's choosing Hawthorn or Essendon, unless the rumours are true and the Swans are loading up for him, should he not wish to return to Victoria.

It's a 1st rounder + <insert something that's not some scrub player they don't want>. Picks 9, 13 or 15 on their own wont cut it, IMO.
Choco Williams said him and his daughter are settled and don't want to leave Sydney last week.

Make of that what you will

Walked into this thread thinking Pick 1 was fair value for a player of Shiels quality. I honestly can't believe Hawthorn supporters will get a CONTRACTED Shiel for a single first round pick in the teens. You've got to be ******* kidding me, pull your heads out of your asses, you'll be coughing up big time if he nominated you.
Same as me, he's one of the most talented players in the comp entering his prime, there's no chance the Hawks first rounder would get it done IMO.

You're kidding right. There's at least 5 players on your list that I'd place above Shiel in regards to importance and quality.

Shiel arguably isn't even in the top 30 midfielders in the competition.
Seems strange you'd offer him close to 1millpa then, doesn't it?

if they are just going to take hawks first rounder they might as well wait until next year and just get pretty much the same compensation pick when he leaves as a free agent.

essendons pick is about right.

Choco Williams said him and his daughter are settled and don't want to leave Sydney last week.

Make of that what you will
Manager on record today said it will be play out his contract at GWS or a Victorian club.
I think you'd have to read his comments as suggesting that Shiel will be playing his football in Victoria, just depends if it will be next season or the year after

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has the Hawks written all over it. They are always quiet in the lead up and get the job done with little fuss.

Can't see Shiel going to a bottom 4 team. He struggled for years at GWS and copped his fair share of beltings.
How do they get it done? Assuming pick 14 isn't enough.

Can they trade a 2019 1st rounder?

if they are just going to take hawks first rounder they might as well wait until next year and just get pretty much the same compensation pick when he leaves as a free agent.

essendons pick is about right.

I would expect Hawthorn will need to give up at least a second rounder or player on top of our first rounder for exactly the reason you suggest. If he nominates us we need to make it look more attractive to take the deal now than wait for next year when the best they'll get without matching is likely an end-of-first-rounder (and it seems matching pretty much never happens, so that would be far and away the most likely scenario). When his manager says he'll play out his contract at GWS or come to Vic, I reckon he's pretty much saying he's chosen his preferred target club in Vic, and if GWS will not deal with them this year, he'll walk to them next year.

Not 100% confident that target is us yet, as it seems likely others might offer him more $'s which will be tempting for him, but if it is, I reckon we'll give a little more than a first rounder (hopefully not 2 first rounders), and get the deal done, allowing GWS to avoid getting less next year, and perhaps also helping them out with cap, if you believe that angle. I think the cap space is probably a secondary issue compared to his restricted FA status next year vs what GWS can get right now for him at the trade table.

How do they get it done? Assuming pick 14 isn't enough.

Can they trade a 2019 1st rounder?

Apparently yes they can, but I think they'd rather look at second rounders and players than part with two first rounders. Sounds like they are keen on an aggressive trade table driven rebuild, and not having a first rounder next year will make it difficult, although a number of free agents next year too which are basically free hits in terms of draft pick costs from the destination club's point of view (which is why we'd be spewing we appeared to have missed out on Lynch).

If it is the hawks id hope 2019 1st will be offered along with 2nd rounder this year to start . But it might well take this years first along with next years for shiel and gws 2nd . He isn't quite worth what Collingwood gave up for treloar due to age I would think

Apparently yes they can, but I think they'd rather look at second rounders and players than part with two first rounders. Sounds like they are keen on an aggressive trade table driven rebuild, and not having a first rounder next year will make it difficult, although a number of free agents next year too which are basically free hits in terms of draft pick costs from the destination club's point of view (which is why we'd be spewing we appeared to have missed out on Lynch).
Would you consider shipping Burton off for an additional early pick?

Would you consider shipping Burton off for an additional early pick?

I wouldn't, but no idea what the club would do. I would think the only reason we'd think of trading Burton would be if we were scared he was getting homesick, and obviously sending him to NSW doesn't really match that case well (maybe a trade to a SA club in exchange for a pick to give GWS if he is homesick, but haven't really heard any whispers on that front).

We are trying to trade in elite level talent to make up for our long term lack of access to early draft picks, so I don't see us being keen trade out a player of Burton's quality. If its a player added to the #1 pick to get the deal done, I would think it would be more a value player that fills a perceived need for GWS without being as potentially top level as Burton could become. Not sure what type of player that would be given how stacked their list is.

If it is the hawks id hope 2019 1st will be offered along with 2nd rounder this year to start . But it might well take this years first along with next years for shiel and gws 2nd . He isn't quite worth what Collingwood gave up for treloar due to age I would think

Treloar was also runner up in the B&F that year, and not about to become a free agent. The fact that he wasn't contracted is IMO less relevant than the fact that the potential target clubs couldn't just wait for FA the next year to pry Treloar loose.

The way I see it going...

He’ll want to go to Hawks.

GWS will only allow him to move to a club that could adequately compensate them. They won’t have any interest in pick 14 & future Hawks picks.

I think club & player will mutually decide to stick fat for the next 12 months & go again in free agency.

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded Dylan Shiel [traded with future 2nd to Essendon for #9 and future 1st round pick]

Back