Dyson Heppell - The Best

Remove this Banner Ad

I would've loved him at Richmond and I was kind of shocked we didn't pick him, but to put it in perspective Dan Connors dishes up those kind of spins on a weekly basis and then hits a target and he's just an average footballer that can't get a game at Richmond.

I understand what it's like when a young kid comes on the scene and shows a few glimpses of something special but he's hardly doing anymore than the rest of the pack at this stage, good luck to him though seems like a great kid with a good head on his shoulders.

Matera is a class above IMO.
Oh ok. Daniel Connors is better than Dyson Heppell and he can't get a game in a rubbish side like Richmond yet Heppell is getting a regular gig at Essendon playing in blockbusters.

Good call. :thumbsu:

Oh ok. Daniel Connors is better than Dyson Heppell and he can't get a game in a rubbish side like Richmond yet Heppell is getting a regular gig at Essendon playing in blockbusters.

Good call. :thumbsu:
Missed my point, I new Essendon supporters would. I'm hardly making a comparison to Dan Connors, it was more about how flashy spins aren't really that impressive and especially if you miss the target at the end of it, I liked his game don't get me wrong.

And thanks for the Richmond are rubbish line.

Lions have rocks in their heads for letting Heppell go...so much for dodgey ankles

What's wrong with Polec? He looks like he will be a very good player. I would suggest you must have rocks, in your head to make such a comment.

By the way Gold Coast had four picks before they left Heppell, while you guys had only one.

Lions have rocks in their heads for letting Heppell go...so much for dodgey ankles
Polec looks pretty good so far, give it 2 years and all the draftees will have filled out and we'll get a better comparison. My preference was for the Tige's to get Polec then Heppell, we got Conca and I'm happy so far. It's pretty unfair to say which players better, there have to be some rules for these comparisons, with the key one being comparing them purely on their current form.

Clearly a good footballer, but does anybody else see a touch of softness in Heppell?

/Carlton player is soft.

Nope. Backed into a hole in front of Barry Hall at full tilt in the first quarter against the dogs in round one, ran back with the flight in front of Dawes today.. Soft is definitely not the word for Dyson :thumbsu:

polec has bigger hurt factor than anyone in the draft, im happy with conca as we needed another pure mid with good skills, but geez heppel was outstanding again.

ok he made a few mistakes early but in the one on one contests he was impressive, was absolutely everywhere.

was rushed a few times with his kicks and they looked a bit ugly, but no more than any other player in the same situation.

also showed an accountability in his game that i didnt see in his previous games, he appears like he lacks intensity but i have seen him on enough occassions willing to get involved in a contest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not going to try and bag other teams picks as it has only be 5 games into the season, but from an Essendon supporters point of view I could not be happier with the way he is playing. It is pretty impressive that a first year player is been used as the link man coming out of defense. He rushed some kicks today, but I put that down to the fact that Collingwood are the best team in the league and they make 100 game players look rushed so that shouldn't be a knock on the kid.

Having a good hbf is important as every side that has been good over the past decade (longer probably) has had a hbf with a bit class to bring the ball out of defense.

Anyone who watched him jump with the flight of the ball into Dawes this afternoon knows he cannot be considered soft. Regardless of 'rankings' I am happy we got him, because of all the high draft picks we have got in recent years, he looks the one with the most 'class'. You know, that things players like Buckley, Hird and Black have and had.

First full hit out I seen him play, he is and will be a gun. Loved the courageous mark and when he was out numbered two to one and got the ball.

4 games a career does not make. People were saying the same things about Rhys Palmer.
Dont think you can use Palmer in the same breath as Heppell. Palmer was a ball magnet but hopeless at every other facet of the game. Heppell shows he is a lot more than that already and will be a future star.

He does look the goods but so do others. Personally, I still think the best player from last years draft will be easily David Swallow- a gun player if ever I saw one.

Great mover, great user and his work at clearances is exceptional. A star in the making for sure. Heppell will be good but not at the level of Swallow

Essendon supporters = Heppell is a gun
Neutral supporters = Heppell is a gun
Richmond supporters = he is ok.. x is better.
West Coast supporters = Heppell is a gun.. So is Darling

The frankatambling syndrome is in full effect.
A scarred generation of richmond supporters.

Essendon would be rapt....other clubs would be (and should be) green with envy..having said that Essendon has done a huge turn around as a team and a club so that could also be contributing - despite not winning today...they should be congratulated...

impressive

Remove this Banner Ad

Dyson Heppell - The Best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back