Dyson Heppell - The Best

Remove this Banner Ad

absolute gun.

it's very early days but if i was rating last years draftee's on impressiveness (from both last year and this ear) thus far

1 - David Swallow
2 - Dyson Heppell
3 - Jared Polec
4 - Jack Darling
5 - Tom Liberatore
6 - Brodie Smith
7 - Reece Conca
8 - Matt Watson
9 - Harley Bennell
10 - Andrew Gaff

it's looking a very strong draft

i haven't seen sam day play at any level. the things i've read have been pretty good though.

fair few others i ahven't seen.

absolute gun.

it's very early days but if i was rating last years draftee's on impressiveness (from both last year and this ear) thus far

1 - David Swallow
2 - Dyson Heppell
3 - Jared Polec
4 - Jack Darling
5 - Tom Liberatore
6 - Brodie Smith
7 - Reece Conca
8 - Matt Watson
9 - Harley Bennell
10 - Andrew Gaff

i haven't seen sam day play at any level. the things i've read have been pretty good though.

No idea why you have Gaff so low. He has been super impressive.

absolute gun.

1 - David Swallow
2 - Dyson Heppell
3 - Jared Polec
4 - Jack Darling
5 - Tom Liberatore
6 - Brodie Smith
7 - Reece Conca
8 - Matt Watson
9 - Harley Bennell
10 - Andrew Gaff

I know what you mean, every year there seem to be more and more kids who come in and you can see they are just going to be a super player. Looking at your list all those guys are going to be around for long careers as long as they aren't struck down with injury.

Heppell is the best rookie so far. Swallow is a more talented player, but Heppell is a harder worker. I'd prefer Heppell over Swallow at this stage.
With no disrespect for Heppell if Swallow was playing on a HBF for Essendon and Heppell was battling away in the Suns midfield (or worse backline) you'd probably say the opposite.

Should also note that Heppell had a few kicked on him today, which was hardly a surprise as Collingwood attempted to isolate him, but he also backed back into packs, used the ball well under immense pressure and defended well for the majority.

He reminds me of Grimes with his ability to be composed from his first game. Looks like a 150 gamer out there. He's a better kick than Grimes as well.

Heppell is the best rookie so far. Swallow is a more talented player, but Heppell is a harder worker. I'd prefer Heppell over Swallow at this stage.
Your an idiot. None of the 17 clubs would take more than 3 seconds to consider Heppell over Swallow. Nothing against Heppell but Swallow is a superstar in the making.

Awesome player, was probably best on for Essendon against the Pies.

But it's much too early to say he's going to be the best draft pick from his class right now.

Essendon supporters = Heppell is a gun
Neutral supporters = Heppell is a gun
Richmond supporters = he is ok.. x is better.
West Coast supporters = Heppell is a gun.. So is Darling

The frankatambling syndrome is in full effect.
A scarred generation of richmond supporters.
Your digs at Richmond are starting to get old, and are nothing short of trolling.

I think its far too early to be making calls on who is going to better, though i'd take Conca any day of the week over your little Leongatha pansie.. go Wonthaggi Power!! :D

He was right though, Swallow has something extra over Heppell at this stage.

Stupid post from a Tiger Hater. I said Heppell was good, as he is, but Swallow will be better. As the weeks go on, you too will come to realise that. Swallow is an out and out gun in the making.

Swallow works his butt off; runs hard at the end of games, put loads of bumps on, tackles hard, throws his body at contests etc. Not sure what else in terms of effort you would want to see from him at this stage.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heppell has been very very impressive so far but so have many other draftees. Give it a few years before you decide who's the best. But gee, this looks like it's going to be looked back on as a superdraft. Heppell, swallow, bennell, polec, gaff, prestia, darling, Watson, liberatore all going to be guns as well as guys like matera, smith, dixon who would've gone in this draft. Curnow another who's been brilliant from the start. And these are just the guys i've seen. Gold coast came into the competition at a very lucky time. In 5 years time they will be amazing.

With no disrespect for Heppell if Swallow was playing on a HBF for Essendon and Heppell was battling away in the Suns midfield (or worse backline) you'd probably say the opposite.

Your an idiot. None of the 17 clubs would take more than 3 seconds to consider Heppell over Swallow. Nothing against Heppell but Swallow is a superstar in the making.

Exactly.

Swallow is playing in a weaker, younger side playing in a much, much harder position.

Heppell is doing great but playing backline and getting marks and possesions due to opposition errors is a tad easier than playing in the guts.

We shouldn't take anything away from either player as they are both very good for their age and experience but we should take into consideration one has a much harder role to play.

You are kidding. Nearly choked on my weetbix when I read that one. Swallow has to be pulled back at training because the coaching staff are worried he pushes himself too hard. Have a look at his last game. He might not have got much of the ball for the first 3 quarters but check who is often tackling, harrassing and at the bottom of packs. Then have a look at his last quarter again. Swallow already has elite midfielder endurance. Plus I love how he has the ability (even at such a young age, 6 months younger than Heppell), to legally iron out blokes.:cool:

Heppell should end up a fine player and is doing really well at the moment. I like him, but to say he is a harder worker than Swallow is not an objective statement, that can be backed up by fact.

a smart, reasonably efficient accumulator. not sure he'll ever be elite.

A bit like Joel Selwood would you say? Whether he ends up being better than Swallow or anyone else we will all have to wait, but he is quite clearly a gun player and is tracking better than guys like Hodge, Gibbs, Goddard and even J Selwood at this stage of his career. He obviously needs to keep improving to get to where those blokes are but the fact is there are very few players his age that are or have in recent times performed as well as he has in their first 5 games, its just plain dumb to to put a ceiling on where he can get to as a player.

I don't know where he will end up in his draft class but i'm happy that a first year player is playing so extraordinarily well in his first few games. He's taken to AFL level footy with no problems at all. He's showed he's an absolute ball magnet, i think the lowest amount of possessions he's had so far is 19 and he's shown that he has genuine defensive nous and judges his spoils really well, as well as being an effective rebounder for us. People are being extremely harsh on his disposal too, his disposal is actually very good, not elite but quite good nonetheless.

It's also been missed a bit but he has had a few runs through the midfield even though mostly in small blocks and he's been able to find the ball there no problem as well. In fact i don't even think its his body or maturity that's stopping him playing there, its our lack of decent defenders with Pears, Dempsey and Myers all injured right now.

I couldn't be happier with him and I am positive that by year 2, opposition teams are going to be applying defensive forward tags on him, he's just rebounding way too much at the moment. Hell if you go by SC scores he's been averaging like 90 a game, which is pretty much elite for a defender.

I think its far too early to be making calls on who is going to better, though i'd take Conca any day of the week over your little Leongatha pansie.. go Wonthaggi Power!! :D

Wonthaggi - Moe by the Sea, Aboriginal for "Shit, I missed the turn off to Philip Island"

Exactly.

Swallow is playing in a weaker, younger side playing in a much, much harder position.

Heppell is doing great but playing backline and getting marks and possesions due to opposition errors is a tad easier than playing in the guts.

We shouldn't take anything away from either player as they are both very good for their age and experience but we should take into consideration one has a much harder role to play.
Heppel is been used as the main link man coming out of defence which says something about the kid IMO. I don't like saying he will be better than X & Y, all I know is that we have a beauty and I am rapt to have him at the club.

Exactly.

Heppell performed exceptionally well against some of the best teams in the competition. In fact he was probably Essendon's best player against the Pies in a huge game.

I can't say the same for Swallow.

Swallow may well end up being a better player than Heppell in the future, but at this stage of their careers, i'd still prefer Heppell over Swallow.

Heppell cost his side two goals early from what I saw of the first quarter.

Loose checking from him allowed Beams to take an uncontested mark in the forward 50 which is unforgiveable, then a panicked kick on his left which was mopped up by a swarm of Magpies for another.

Capable of doing some good things, but I think a few people need to see acknowledge how he can get burnt the other way.

Good prospect though.

Heppell cost his side two goals early from what I saw of the first quarter.

Wow. A first year player with four games under his belt had some early nerves at a packed MCG against the reigning premiers.

Delist him now!

Should also note that Heppell had a few kicked on him today, which was hardly a surprise as Collingwood attempted to isolate him, but he also backed back into packs, used the ball well under immense pressure and defended well for the majority.

He reminds me of Grimes with his ability to be composed from his first game. Looks like a 150 gamer out there. He's a better kick than Grimes as well.

good post - playing off a half back flank where you have numbers in your favour always makes winning the ball a lot easier.

but the lad took some courageous marks and put his body on the line when needed

heppell would be the most consistent performer of the '10 draftees at this stage - but he is playing in the easiest position

Remove this Banner Ad

Dyson Heppell - The Best

Remove this Banner Ad

Back