i was just wondering what your opionions on the following players are:

Mitch Morton

Jeremy Humm

Daniel Mcconel

Ben Sharp

Zach Beeck

and Michael Embley

Mitch Morton-Going to be a gun

Jeremy Humm-i think this will be his last year at the club. Works hard but wont get the midfield opportunity at west coast

Daniel Mcconnell-will be a gun

Ben Sharp-only on the rookie list but has made a promising start for west perth. Once again, will struggle to push for a midfield birth even if he does get promoted to the senior list

Zach Beeck-I get the feeling that Zachs time at the club is fast coming to an end, and that a younger ruckman(etc) may been sought after during next years draft.

Michael Embley-I personally think that he has taken huge strides since i saw him play a few years ago. Only on the rookie list, but is a long-term prospect.

Mitch Morton and Daniel McConnell will both be guns. Would probably be getting a game in any other AFL club at the moment. I also think highly of Mark Le Cras who is in great WAFL form. If Michael Embley can stay injury free for once he wil get a chance to learn and improve. He is a good long term prospect who John Worsfold thinks very higly off.

Zach Beeck is an ok player. Id say though unless he breaks into the team this year he will probably be traded to another club as his ruck skills are excellent, something which alot of clubs seem to be lacking nowadays. Beeck is currently injured at the moment but in the latter parts of last year he was in excellent form and was very unlucky to not get a game against the Swans in the final.. Personally I think Zach Beeck will probably get traded as he is a quality player.

From what I've seen of Mitch Morton, he's got a lot of potential but still needs to develop his skills before he'll get a game in the big league.

Jeremy Humm certainly has the talent, but plays his best games for East Perth in the midfield. His game in Darwin in the Wiz was the best I've seen him play, but was injured the next week early on. Obviously he has little chance to get a game in the mid when our guns are all firing, so his only hope is in some other position. Has a fearless approach, which sadly has given him concussion a couple of times now. If he can be traded to another club, i think he'll go really well.

Daniel McConnell appears to be a real talent. He's been listed in the best in the WAFL several times this year already. He seems to be ready to take the next step and must be considered a big chance for selection in the next few weeks. imo he moves a lot like Andrew Embley. If he turns out to be anywhere as near as good as him, I'm sure everyone will be rapt.

There's no doubt that Zac Beeck has the ability but seems to lack a bit when it comes focus and dedication. Because of that I'm not convinced that he will ever make it. The sport is far too professional these days for someone with a slack attitude.

I'm really worried about losing McConnell at the end of the year. Very talented but hasn't played a game and might think there will be more opportunities at another club. The Vic clubs will be gunning for him you can bank on it.

coasting said:
I'm really worried about losing McConnell at the end of the year. Very talented but hasn't played a game and might think there will be more opportunities at another club. The Vic clubs will be gunning for him you can bank on it.

i was thinking the same thing. He's been in great form in the WAFL week in week out, there's not much more he could be doing to try to get a spot. I really hope he is given some games otherwise we may very well lose him.

coasting said:

I'm thinking the same thing about quite a few players who aren't getting regular games, ie Graham and Nicoski.

Jeremy Humm is most likely in his last year at the club which is a pity because he has been in awesome form for the Royals. Lacked support in our heavier losses at the start of the season, but things would have been much worse without Hummy. I rate him; he's a good tough player who could be a real asset to a club given the opportunities. (It's selfish of me but I don't suppose there's any chance we could convince him to play on for East Perth if he is delisted?)

Dan McConnell is another guy who's been in good touch. He is capable of playing an Embers-type role at AFL level this year, and maybe develop into a KPP. Great young talent.

Zach Beeck had surgery on a finger early this season. While I rate him as a player he's another guy who looks like he'll be starved of AFL opportunities... Certainly the injury hasn't helped him out there. He is a good ruckman and filled the #1 role in Ryan Turnbull's absence a couple of years ago. He can also play as a marking forward or at CHB.

Haven't seen enough of Morton, Sharp or Mick Embley. Mitch was in pretty good form from what I have seen this year though, and Mick showed a bit of promise during the pre-season.

really like the look of young daniel mcconnell, could be anything in imo. still so young but shows so much, what is he 18 yrs old.
think u could be right, the vic clubs will come a chasing let me guarentee u that, the price u pay 4 having such a good list i suppose.
just make sure u offload the duds and keep the champs, similar 2 what brisbane have done.

aka headland, obree, morrison, weller...etc

can't wait 2 see mcconnell get a game this year, he cant be far away

shame about beau waters also, absolute steal at 11-12 in the draft.....just read the other day he is close 2 12 weeks away now he is having an operation. shame , love watching him play and could be the wild card come finals time 4 u guys

cheers

From where I'm sitting.

Daniel McConnell- By far the most AFL ready kid on our list. 190cm, very quick, very good hands, composed under pressure. He's a gem, he'll play senior footy this year and play well. At the moment, he's a tall wingman or a flanker at AFL, but once he bulks up he may be a genuine kpp prospect.

Mitch Morton- Very very classy midfield prospect, freaky footskills. He might get one or two senior games this year, and will be a Cousins/Crawford style elite midfielder circa 2007.

Jeremy Humm- Lots of guts, very hard at it, not much else. Good at WAFL level but will probably be delisted or traded at the end of the year- very hard to see him managing a senior game. I'd lay money on him being in a pies jumper next year.

Ben Sharp- From what I've heard, he's a ball magnet but has a bit of a loopy kick. As with Matt Rosa, he's probably a couple of years from cracking the seniors.

Zach Beeck- I actually like a lot. He's been around for a while, but he's got a nice blend of agility and strength for a big man. Struggles for consistency, if he's smart he'd be demanding to be played at CHB.

Michael Embley- astonishing how much he's improved over the last year. Very handy tall forward/ruck prospect, with height, a good set of mitts and his brother's pace and agility.

To summarise, I think the club has long term plans for McConnell (wingman 05/06, Bradshaw type versatile defender/forward '07 ), M. Embley (forward/ruckman '07 '08) Morton (class midfielder in '07, when Cousins hits his late 20s) and Lecras (livewire forward pocket replacement for Matera).

I think they'd try hard to hang onto any of those, particularly McConnell, who would be playing week in/week out at a lot of clubs right now.

If I were a victorian team, I'd be trying to lure away the young midfield prospects like Rosa or Sharp who have looked okay but will struggle to get a game because of the midfield log jam in front of them. Beeck is also worth a look at, given the 3 ruckmen in front of him.

Why hasn't anyone mentioned Graham yet? Going to be an absolute gun, definately will come in this week if Gardiner or Seaby don't come up.

Did McDougall play in the WAFL this week or is he out again? Because he could of been a possible inclusion with Seaby going down. Do you think McConnell mite get a game dis week for either butler/selwood as i have heard he has been playin consistent footy this year in the wafl

Jeremy Humm- Been in very good form for the royals in the WAFL. Hard at it midfielder and has been in the best every week for them this year. NOt sure what happened to him but came off injured late in the game. Could still provide us with some good games if given the opportunity.

Daniel Mcconnell- Like hummy, has been playing very good footy in the WAFL and has probably been royals best so far this year. Definately deserves a run and you would think we would have to play him soon if we want to keep him here next year. From what ive seen, he is alot like embers and will be a gun for us if he doesnt go home.

Mitchell Morton- Looks the best of the rookies. Alot of class and poise about him. 3 goals and looked very dangerous against east perth and before his injury was in the best for claremont fairly regularly.Might get a couple of games toward the end of the year.

Mark lecras- Still just 18, has played some good games for west perth. Regularly getting 20 odd possessions and chipping in4 a couple of goals each week.Cant see him getting a game this year but could be a dangerous small forward for us in years to come.

Matt Rosa- Like morton, appears to have a lot of poise and time when he gets the ball. Been a strong contributer to peel so far this year but is lightly built and may be seen as a long term prospect for us.

Ben Sharp- named best player for west perth on the weekend and has been in their best few for the whole season. Looks like he has a lot of ability and runs very hard.

IMO- Mcconnell appears to be the gun of our younger guys at the moment while morton looks like he could be a star of the future. I think it is very important that we, as a club try and keep these guys, who if at another club would be playing regular AFL footy,particularly Mcconnell who is a victorian

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think McConnel is very close to making his debut. Was an emergency last weekend and had another good game in the WAFL. I can't wait to see him play.

McDougall is still out injured. Hasn't played in the WAFL for a couple of weeks now

Oi! What the hell's going on here?!? Lol. Only room for one true West Coast supporting pheret/ferret round these parts! ;) (That's ok, I'm mainly on EFH...But don't you even think about it with that name on there! :D )

On topic....

Humm--- Hard as nails player, courage a non-issue with this guy. Unfortunately his skills are a whole notch lower compared to the rest of our Rolls Royce midfield. I disagree with Mead, however, I see him in Bullies colours next year. Though Port would make a good home for him too, considering his thugster style of play.

McConnell--- Immensely talented. Just won't find himself a regular gig in our midfield if that's what he's aiming for, regardless of his talent. Too many others in line to fit in and try out. Would be better off plying his trade in our squad at this early part of his career on the HFF/HBF.

Morton--- Haven't seen enough of him at WAFL level yet, but by all accounts is excelling. More than happy to have him as a Father/Son steal from last year's draft though, with even better news regarding his equally if not even more talented taller brothers coming through these next few years for us to nab as well.

Sharp--- Like the guy. Constantly racks up a bevy of possessions as a tall winger for mighty West Perth. Disposal and decision making his biggest concerns, but he'll never shirk an issue. Coaches will like him for the amount of respect he shows to their advise. Will eventually be promoted I would think to the main list. Might develop a bit of a reputation as a 'dirty' player though for his approach to the game.

Beeck--- The only guy from this list I don't rate highly, apart from his Royals teammate Humm. To me appears to make a decent fist of it at the lower WAFL level but will never make the leap to the big league. Didn't appear as at home on debut as a number of our recent debutants last year versus Port. Probably the only rookie-list elevation we've got wrong in the past few years (considering there's been Fletcher, Cox, Nicoski and Green....if you want to consider him. Though many would now consider him a mistake. Not me though.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagles WAFL Players

Remove this Banner Ad

Back