• Yes

Votes: 186 78.2%
  • No

Votes: 44 18.5%
  • Not sure

Votes: 8 3.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

There ain't many things that set off my bullshit detector more than use of the term "future proofing".

I guess we just have to wait for what comes out of the review.

Strong scent of eau de Turd from the house of Guy le Coq Roache

Geez Slobbo got defensive when gerard asked if it was personal between him and collingwood. It was a good laugh.

Haha.. as much as I think Slobbo is a moron.. I think he got it right.

McGuire should point the finger at himself.

As much as I think Ed should end his run, it's been a very long time.

However, it's a bit odd people are happy to say old mate Robbo is right about anything.
He is a horrible, slobby, uncouth type.
He is no friend of Collingwood in any way.

He won't thank you for using his points.

Ed should retire but never ever because Robbo has any say whatsoever.

Robinson a total grub, he has nothing to ever say about what our club should do.

Slobbo....

irish-yoga-funny-pictures-face-urinal.jpg

That's just stupid. I don't give a shit about other clubs, as I suspect most here don't either. Do what is best for the CFC and that is to break the damn salary cap and pay the consquences.

We should have the absolute best people working for us that we can find, and there should be no restrictions on what we spend (within our own financial means) to get those best people.
Couldn't agree more! Being - hazard a calculated guess - we'd be the richest club. If that means we break the cap and so called "help other clubs" then so be it. We've always been revered for our behind the scenes employees; but we aren't currently so let's get back there!

Based off the NBA tax I assume.

Don't know the exacts of it but if you go over the salary cap (set at 9.6 million this year) you then pay the AFL a tax that goes into the equalisation fund.

Ed and the social club members have always seemed against going over the cap as they see it as helping other clubs.

That's just stupid. I don't give a shit about other clubs, as I suspect most here don't either. Do what is best for the CFC and that is to break the damn salary cap and pay the consquences.

We should have the absolute best people working for us that we can find, and there should be no restrictions on what we spend (within our own financial means) to get those best people.

For example at the moment we have one of the smallest recruiting departments going around. It relies more on unpaid scouts then paid professionals. As shown in the below AFL article;

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-07-19/who-makes-the-calls-on-your-clubs-recruits

Sorry but that seems wrong. "Smaller side", WTF is happening here.
Not to mention the 'multi-tasking' coaching staff...oops, I mentioned it.

As I said - totally irrelevant. What are "mandated rules" in this context i.e. term of office? There is no mandated rule re Eddie's term of CFC Presidency (from what I gather) and re Trump's candidacy, the mandated rule for election was the Electoral College votes -from which it would follow that your "cogent" point is that Trump is not a good outcome. [I have no comment on Trump (in this thread)].

But moving on, there should be limits on senior positions as a matter of good business practice. Eddie has had a very long stint in his senior CFC role and, good bloke that he is, may not have sufficient self-awareness to be able to separate the roles of Church and State (if you get my drift).

If so, then this may not end well for all parties concerned.
Hawthorn have a mandated max term for Presidents don't they?
And even your man Trump can only f,up the world for 8 years max.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If there is one thing that is certain - surely if Eddie is of sound mind then there is no doubt he will admit to himself he has unintentionally created the situation we are in. All the way from the premature buckley acquisition to the revolving footy boss door and everything in between including the unnecessary inclusion of the netball and women's teams.

Whether or not he is of sound mind and he does not actually believe the review time will tell

This may sound somewhat optimistic however I have every confidence that the review will bring positive change (if Eddie allows it so) and also confident that the review will question the shelf life of Eddie himself. Should that be the case then Eddie could not publicly refute that and stay in power past his current term knowing that if he did then he would not be putting the club first and that my friends has been of his spruiking since day one - even when he was the sports reporter at Channel 10 in 1980. This could not possibly leave him any recourse to stay on against review advice let alone not put in place the mechanisms advised by the review even if he does not like the findings

If there is one thing that is certain - surely if Eddie is of sound mind then there is no doubt he will admit to himself he has unintentionally created the situation we are in. All the way from the premature buckley acquisition to the revolving footy boss door and everything in between including the unnecessary inclusion of the netball and women's teams.

Whether or not he is of sound mind and he does not actually believe the review time will tell

This may sound somewhat optimistic however I have every confidence that the review will bring positive change (if Eddie allows it so) and also confident that the review will question the shelf life of Eddie himself. Should that be the case then Eddie could not publicly refute that and stay in power past his current term knowing that if he did then he would not be putting the club first and that my friends has been of his spruiking since day one - even when he was the sports reporter at Channel 10 in 1980. This could not possibly leave him any recourse to stay on against review advice let alone not put in place the mechanisms advised by the review even if he does not like the findings

Carringbush

Love your optimism.

I can guarantee you that McGuire will come out smelling like roses as a result of this independent(?) review.

By the way, fully agree with your comments regarding the unnecessary inclusion of the netball and women's teams. This is a deflection away from our core business which is failing.

I can guarantee you that McGuire will come out smelling like roses as a result of this independent(?) review.
If he does then it is surely not independant
By the way, fully agree with your comments regarding the unnecessary inclusion of the netball and women's teams. This is a deflection away from our core business which is failing.
More importantly it takes away resources at disposal from the senior and vfl team, list development and management also

Eddie's not perfect. And he's been a knob.
But he's also presided over a very successful off-field transformation of the club.
I don't like the guy but I'm betting that this rebuild will help focus him. And he's got a lot of pride. He doesn't want to walk away to be remembered as the president who managed a failed succession plan.
He's already had enough failures in his professional life (eg CEO of Channel 9) so I'm tipping he'll be able to turn the club around. And then he can leave.

People often refer to the handover agreement that Eddie orchestrated and point to its failure so far but what if Malthouse had stuck to his contract and worked with Bucks for 2 years to help his development. There is no doubt Simon Goodwin has benefitted from the working relationship structure Melbourne had in place. I think Eddie gets unfairly judged on this chapter when in actual fact there was a plan in place that never eventuated through no fault of his.

The review will only have nice things to say about ED (Eats Dick)
IMHO Eddie does want the club to succeed on field and If I were a betting man I'd bet if the review will find advice that he does not like but will do anyway for the good of the club. If he does not then that will show glaringly he is a/ not of sound mind or b/ false - if the review is truly independent then he'll have no room to move on this; time is closing in Eddie!

People often refer to the handover agreement that Eddie orchestrated and point to its failure so far but what if Malthouse had stuck to his contract and worked with Bucks for 2 years to help his development. There is no doubt Simon Goodwin has benefitted from the working relationship structure Melbourne had in place. I think Eddie gets unfairly judged on this chapter when in actual fact there was a plan in place that never eventuated through no fault of his.
Agree to a point; I don't think MM is a Roos though and to be honest the succession plan should've been reviewed after 2010 and the formula continue until MM was ready to step aside or Fail like bucks has IMO. I know there was a "contract" and MM handled that poorly but imagine you've got a team into finals consistently only to be told you've got a certain time frame and then you're in the back seat.

I know we'll never know but would've thought that a team with the highest ever percentage and fairly young list full of guns then externally you'd opt not to fix what is not broken. It is hard to argue a team with such dominance could not have another shot at the flag- and no you can't just change the coach and expect to challenge for the cup

Roos didn't stick around, not at Sydney not at Melbourne, handover and depart. I agree with matthews, trying too keep both was the problem.

Ed has to see the season out and implement the outcome of the review and ensure the plans are in place for the next 3-5 years. This can be done over the next 6 months, and once this process is completed he should stand down from the board and we should set in stone terms limiting the president and board members to no more than 5 years.

At Hawthorn, Chairman max (2x3 years), Boardroom max (3x3 years) (3 year terms)
As Jeff said " If you can't achieve everything you planned in 6 years then you shouldn't be in the job!"

Remove this Banner Ad

Bumped Eddie adamant he will lead club through a rebuild

Back