Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

The only issue I have is that the same message coming from Shaw was ok.. Because he's a friend and sitting next to her.
The same comments coming from Eddie and JB who are not her friends is unacceptable to her and the public opinion.
I understand the difference was tone, the latter two were bullying her behind her back.
Now if the message and lesson to be learnt this week is that language condones violence against women then, Shaws comments however tongue and cheek they were should also be condoned. The overtures to what was said, IE language, is the issue at hand and apparently there is a correlation between that and domestic violence

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

What a sad place we have come to when even conversations between friends in private have to be censored
In 8 years I will have enough money to retire and I look forward to leaving this country far behind me
The point is that it isn't censored. It's a mutual agreement that it isn't a healthy way to interact with other humans.

The only issue I have is that the same message coming from Shaw was ok.. Because he's a friend and sitting next to her.
It wasn't even the same message.

This has been discussed earlier in the thread, with the differences pointed out. However, I am sure he won't be making the same comments on air again.

I'm suggesting people who haven't experienced it are less likely to be as highly educated with regards to it.

Is this the clarification you are addressing?

If so then it is worlds away from your initial statement. I mean this is reasonable; you cant fully know what its like to walk in a man's shoes until you do.

But we are all capable of making judgement calls. If this comment was about a man, then suddenly it's not an issue. It doesn't suddenly become sexist when you put a woman in the same situation. That is still discrimination; implying that Wilson needs to be treated differently to other journalists because she is of a different sex. I don;t need to walk in Wilson's shoes to make this argument, and the fact I haven't doesn't make my contribution any less valid.

I believe in equality for all because it doesn't ****ing matter if we are male or female or white or asian or gay or identify our gender as an attack helecopter; our identities do not entitle us to special treatment, we do not deserve to be treated differently based on our identities, and we are all open to the same criticism.

What a sad place we have come to when even conversations between friends in private have to be censored
In 8 years I will have enough money to retire and I look forward to leaving this country far behind me

Essentially the same comment was said with the same end result, which was Caro under water. Yes I understand the whole with friends context. I think it's sadder that both were said on national radio and if it's about changing culture that it can be justified by using context.
Whether with friends or not surely it should be all unacceptable if change is the desired outcome.

My point was due to not having experienced as much racism and/or sexism as others, white males are generally less knowledgeable on the subject purely for this reason, and people who are more knowledgeable are generally correct more often than those that aren't.

'generally'?? You're applying general observations to an entire race and sex now?

You have no idea about what racism or sexism I or anyone else on this board has suffered in their life. You assume we have always been in a majority identity and are completely ignorant of the harm being discriminated against can cause someone.

Your racism is so ingrained you can't even see it.

one of the guys used to call me cracker ( that's a derogatory term used by African Americans to describe white people )
latest

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Statistics say I am more likely to be a victim of violence.

I just posted 4 links to how four teachers were treated differently under the "law".

You are likely to be the victim of violence perpetuated by men. That is factual.

We can agree to disagree on our sources of information.

Without reading a thousand pages; is this sexist simply because Wilson is a woman?

Because I can see the exact same thing being said about a man.

Shouldn't feminists be happy with such equality?
Yes it's sexist because she's a woman. And it promotes domestic violence because she's a woman. Just because she's a woman it's those things. If it were a man it'd be different. But it's ok, we will make a big deal about it, we will create an issue because we love an issue. Let's call it this issue 'sexism' and 'domestic violence'. Let's make this an issue because the media can sell it.

But no one here is saying racism or sexism isn't a big deal, they are saying that this isn't a case of sexism.

Your analogy is not valid.
Well you're going on a complete tangent away from the post you're complaining about then, because it wasn't specific to this scandal. The poster was just making a general point that it's easy to dismiss something you've never had to experience.

I am not sure people understand it is not the intent ( always good after the fact to reflect and say what you thought your were doing), but it is the actual words used, and how Caroline felt.

People out there thought there was a genuine intent to drown Caro in a pool of ice during a charity benefit? Right.

Caro is a player, she knows how the game works. She rattles cages, that's how she's made her career and no doubt a great living.

Get real.

I can see you actually believe that.
I have little doubt when the poor thought out joke was casually started the fact the Caroline Wilson is a female had nothing to do with why it started. It started because as a journo Caroline Wilson is unpopular in a lot of circles so the idea of her going down ice bath would appeal to a lot of people that do not like her journalistic agendas.
The reality is they easily could have made similar joke about Patrick Smith who is not as well known but also not exactly popular by the style in which he offers his opinions. If they had, and Spud said he would hold him under, the silly joke would not have raised an eyebrow by some of the people up in arms about it a week later.

In any case it is amusing the furore it has created for stupid Eddie McGuire. His follow up comments deserve to be highlighted what a snake in the grass type he is. Spud rightly apologised for the joke in poor taste. Even JB that rightly cannot stand Caroline Wilson apologised afterwards.
Eddie though, typical weasel, try to wiggle himself out of the fallout and not just outright apologise.

Fascinating to see the grandstanding by so many different groups of people on their various crusades and the pr exercises by companies and a few clus that really only care about how it affects the bottom line, sponsorship and how they appear in the media. So much superficial stuff.

I feel for the people that genuinely cared about what some human really felt from start that really were genuinely appalled by what they heard at the time. The opportunistic types writing or talking about it for some moral grandstanding for their own crusades or simply to get their names noticed is incredible in how superficial it is to see.
Pretty much reinforces my point exactly. The media have complete power. We buy the papers, we love criticism, there is tall poppy syndrome everywhere. All this does is send messages that confuse people about what sexism and domestic violence is.

Yes it's sexist because she's a woman. And it promotes domestic violence because she's a woman.

Please justify.

Just because she's a woman it's those things. If it were a man it'd be different. But it's ok, we will make a big deal about it, we will create an issue because we love an issue. Let's call it this issue 'sexism' and 'domestic violence'. Let's make this an issue because the media can sell it.

So you would agree that women in professions should be treated differently to their male counterparts?

Well you're going on a complete tangent away from the post you're complaining about then, because it wasn't specific to this scandal. The poster was just making a general point that it's easy to dismiss something you've never had to experience.

The general point was made in context to this scandal. I am on point; you're trying to weasel out of a poor analogy.

I would agree with the spirit of the second sentence. But that's clearly not what they implied within this context.

Is this the clarification you are addressing?

If so then it is worlds away from your initial statement. I mean this is reasonable; you cant fully know what its like to walk in a man's shoes until you do.

But we are all capable of making judgement calls. If this comment was about a man, then suddenly it's not an issue. It doesn't suddenly become sexist when you put a woman in the same situation. That is still discrimination; implying that Wilson needs to be treated differently to other journalists because she is of a different sex. I don;t need to walk in Wilson's shoes to make this argument, and the fact I haven't doesn't make my contribution any less valid.

I believe in equality for all because it doesn't ******* matter if we are male or female or white or asian or gay or identify our gender as an attack helecopter; our identities do not entitle us to special treatment, we do not deserve to be treated differently based on our identities, and we are all open to the same criticism.

And let's remember this was a joke we are talking about. Banter across the airways between media figures. There was no real threat of violence whatsoever.

Not all jokes involving a female are sexist, even those about drowning someone.

Q. How do you save <*> from drowning?

A. Take your foot off his/her head.

* insert person's name you don't like.

Making the joke about Nicki Minaj or Hilary Clinton rather than Justin Beiber or Donald Trump doesn't make it a sexist joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Play Nice Eddie McGuire comments on holding Caro Wilson underwater

Remove this Banner Ad

Back