Eddie on Triple M

Remove this Banner Ad

How do you know we have a weak board? If Eddie had been a supporter of any other club than Collingwood and he became president while being in such a high profile position theyd be were Collingwood are now. Dont act like youve achieved anything that any other club wouldnt have. Eddie is the sole reason you are were you are dont forget it.

Ahhh yeah I wouldn't have thought so. He definitely helped 'save' us and we've definitely benefited from his leadership, but you can't just manufacture a supporter base from nowhere. If Eddie was the president of someone like Melbourne, for example, do you think they would have over 70,000 members currently? Probably not mate.

Would anybody here trade Draft Pick No 1 this year, for Draft Picks 7 & 8? I wouldn't.

Be silly not too really, even just basing it on limiting it to the respective pick 7 & 8, when often pick 9 or 10 is even better.

2010 - D.Swallow or Heppell and Caddy

Heppell looks every bit as good as D.Swallow, with the bonus of an AA u18 kid in Caddy who could become an elite mid.

2009 - Scully or Butcher and Sheppard

Butcher a good KP prospect and Sheppard, a highly rated mid out west...

2008 - Watts or Vickery and Rich

Vickery blossomed this year and Rich is a gun.

2007 - Kreuzer or Henderson and Palmer

Probably the weakest combo, but change Hendo to McEvoy and Palmer to Rioli or Grimes and every body would jump at it.

2006 - Gibbs or J.Selwood and B.Reid

Reid will be AA CHB and Selwood is a brownlow chance.....or you can have Gibbs.

If a club has faith in their recruiting department, two top 10 picks are much better than just pick 1.

Eddie has the power through his media work and contacts to have a great deal of influence on the AFL. Rather than wait untill one of his players gets suspended then go to town on the AFL act now. He has said often that Trengrove, Mumford and Kositske were wrongly suspended. Well how about before it happens to a Collingwood player take the AFL to task on it now.

J.Brayshaw has the power through his media work and contacts to have a great deal of influence on the AFL.......pity North dont have any supporters.

Ahhh yeah I wouldn't have thought so. He definitely helped 'save' us and we've definitely benefited from his leadership, but you can't just manufacture a supporter base from nowhere. If Eddie was the president of someone like Melbourne, for example, do you think they would have over 70,000 members currently? Probably not mate.

What you dont think that having a weekly two hour advertisment for the Melbourne Football club on a Thursday night would help? Of course you can manufacture a supporter base if your club gets the best deals are continually in the paper and in the media a new supporter or reluctant supporter will join.

Boring thread is ****n BORING!!!!!

Seriously... what Eddie said is spot on..... Under no circumstance is Scully the equivalent of Ablett!! He also said it because it's his job to comment on these things - being on radio and all.... Weird hey!!!

What you dont think that having a weekly two hour advertisment for the Melbourne Football club on a Thursday night would help? Of course you can manufacture a supporter base if your club gets the best deals are continually in the paper and in the media a new supporter or reluctant supporter will join.

The current chairman of the NMFC is the host of The Footy Show these days, how are they doing?

Be silly not too really, even just basing it on limiting it to the respective pick 7 & 8, when often pick 9 or 10 is even better.

2010 - D.Swallow or Heppell and Caddy

Heppell looks every bit as good as D.Swallow, with the bonus of an AA u18 kid in Caddy who could become an elite mid.

2009 - Scully or Butcher and Sheppard

Butcher a good KP prospect and Sheppard, a highly rated mid out west...

2008 - Watts or Vickery and Rich

Vickery blossomed this year and Rich is a gun.

2007 - Kreuzer or Henderson and Palmer

Probably the weakest combo, but change Hendo to McEvoy and Palmer to Rioli or Grimes and every body would jump at it.

2006 - Gibbs or J.Selwood and B.Reid

Reid will be AA CHB and Selwood is a brownlow chance.....or you can have Gibbs.

If a club has faith in their recruiting department, two top 10 picks are much better than just pick 1.

It doesn't always tell the quality tale though does it? Let's switch it up and offer Pick 6 instead. Dowler, Thorp, Bradley, Vance etc.

I really don't believe any club would take two mid first rounders over a number one pick. Supporters in hindsight might however.

Lol what? Have I missed something? How is it having a crack at Collingwood???

Exactly. I like Eddie I would just like him to at times act out of the best interest of all AFL supporters. Look what happened when Maxwell broke McGintys jaw. Eddie had the AFL actually change the laws to clear him.

Didnt Port offer the Dees pick 8 & 9 for pick 2 (Trengove) in the 2009 draft?

doesnt that say it all?

Exactly - if Sculley is worth only 1 first round pick, then where do the bulldogs sign? We'll take some of that action, thanks!

Having other clubs do pretend 'bidding' on the player in question is impractical - /gws salary offer is the next best thing, because its based on someone putting their money where their mouth is. Which is a better sign of market value, some radio jocks opinion, or a GWS contract?

The fact that GWS has to offer inflated sums doesnt come into it - its the relative values that are being compared - how much ablett was offered vs how much sculley is offered -- the absolute value is irrelevant.

The real rub is that 2012 is a killer draft and with all the priority picks and compo picks etc that will be available for use in it, the pies are going to get a pick in the late 20s as their first rounder. boo ****ing hoo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Melbourne are so rubbish on and off the field, yet their supporters have this air of arrogance and importance. I don't get it?

At least when Hawks, Cats, Eagles, etc supporters get unbearable, their team is usually decent or have achieved something.

This comment isn't really anything to do with the thread, but just something I've noticed..Definitely the most annoying posters on BF.

Maybe I'm missing the obvious, but why would GWS pay 2 first rounders for Scully in the first place?

They won't. They can get him because he is out of contract. The AFL are the ones that will pay 2 first round draft picks to compensate Melbourne, and everybody else will move down spots in the draft accordingly.

Exactly. I like Eddie I would just like him to at times act out of the best interest of all AFL supporters. Look what happened when Maxwell broke McGintys jaw. Eddie had the AFL actually change the laws to clear him.

And here it is again. Why do you post so much cr@p acting as if it is truth?
The rule was changed AFTER this incident, as the AFL had not properly defined the bump and LAWYERS got Maxwell off as much as the AFL tried to suspend him.
You really are an idiot.

It doesn't always tell the quality tale though does it? Let's switch it up and offer Pick 6 instead. Dowler, Thorp, Bradley, Vance etc.

I really don't believe any club would take two mid first rounders over a number one pick. Supporters in hindsight might however.

Dont forget if the trade went ahead that club might draft a different combo with the picks 7 and 8

Seemingly every thread you're involved in you mention the same old things; Collingwood's lack of travel, Collingwood playing sides coming back from Perth, Collingwood playing sides with more of a break between games. Anyone with half a brain can see through what you're inferring in this particular thread.

Seemingly every thread you're involved in you mention the same old things; Collingwood's lack of travel, Collingwood playing sides coming back from Perth, Collingwood playing sides with more of a break between games. Anyone with half a brain can see through what you're inferring in this particular thread.

Whats the issue? If these things arent true or have no effect on the result of games why do you care.

What am I inferring by the way?

I wouldn't trade pick 1 for picks 7 and 8 if it was on offer, but I think the post above makes it seem slightly more appealing given who has been taken with those picks in the past.

this is absurd. How is Scully not worth the same as Ablett. If anything he should be worth more.

a) He is 6-7 years younger
b) he has shown more than Ablett AT THE SAME AGE

Brownlow's, norm smiths etc are somewhat irrelevent if you are 30 with 1 more season to go!..if Ablett was 30 would people still be blabbering on about Ablett's credentials? It's irrelevent! It's about the future and Scully will be playing better footy for longer than Ablett.

He is already Melbourne's best midfielder(yes, ahead of Moloney, Sylvia and Trengove) and is definitely more talented than pendlebury and Thomas. Attacks the ball far harder than both of them combined and covers far more ground. Granted, they both cover scully for footskills.

ANyway, i hope Scully stays because he is worth far more than 2 first rounders. There is nothing to suggest that he won't be (as Crawford sincerely stated on the footy show) one of the greatest this game has ever
seen.

As I said, some years pick 7 & 8 get guys like Henderson, who still may come on into a grear KP player....but at the moment he is struggling to hold down a position.

The point being, if you have faith in your recruiting staff...two top 10 picks will bring the club much more than a pick 1.

ie I would have more faith that D.Hine would be able to find two gems, like Pendlebury, B.Reid, Sidebottom, N.Brown with the two top 10 picks.

Even though Gibbs will be a Carlton legend, give me B.Reid and another good mid every single day of the week.

Even though Scully may well be a Melbourne legend, id rather go with the two top 10 picks in D.Hine's hand thank-you, could land Fyfe and Talia or something.

If you have a dud recruiting team, by all means take the lock on the best kid.

i'm interested in who the team was that finished top and yet had to travel to the lower ranked opponent's home ground? pretty sure that has never happened

on the topic, of course the afl isn't about being fair. they are about maximising revenue and increasing the salaries of those in high places at the afl. for a supposedly elite competition, the fact that the fixture is such a joke is hard to fathom. yet the afl don't seem to give 2 sh!ts about what is clearly the major problem in the game. we place such importance on playing finals in our game, yet the unequal draw and specifically who a team plays twice is a major determinative factor in whether teams make finals or don't. that is a disgraceful situation

and scully is not worth 2 1st round picks

Great post!!

They won't. They can get him because he is out of contract. The AFL are the ones that will pay 2 first round draft picks to compensate Melbourne, and everybody else will move down spots in the draft accordingly.

Don't they get them at the END of the first round?

Geelong used one of their compensation picks in the draft last year and will use the second this year.

Their compensation pick for Ablett was Pick 15.

Melbourne can use their compensation picks too over two years but at the completion of the first round NOT before everyone else.

Hence I'm not sure why everyone is up in arms. 2 picks at approx number 19 in the draft are not as good as ONE Number 1 pick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Eddie on Triple M

Remove this Banner Ad

Back