EDFL "A" Grade - 2011

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who are Craigieburn’s recruits?? Who is the new captain?? From the outside Nolen looked a good bloke and certainly had a heap of ability, but all the other names I have heard leaving none I would imagine would be big losses.

There is a reason that Craigieburn hasnt got close to playing finals for several years because there core players were not good enough, and didnt play with enough heart, with a few pathetic performances losing by 15 goals + on more than a few occasions. I am assuming Barnard was appointed to make them improve and be a chance to make the finals and if turning over there list, included a few stalwarts of the club then I guess that’s within his best interest (might not be in the clubs long term interest though)

Who are Craigieburn’s recruits?? Who is the new captain?? From the outside Nolen looked a good bloke and certainly had a heap of ability, but all the other names I have heard leaving none I would imagine would be big losses.

There is a reason that Craigieburn hasnt got close to playing finals for several years because there core players were not good enough, and didnt play with enough heart, with a few pathetic performances losing by 15 goals + on more than a few occasions. I am assuming Barnard was appointed to make them improve and be a chance to make the finals and if turning over there list, included a few stalwarts of the club then I guess that’s within his best interest (might not be in the clubs long term interest though)

Hooray...think someones hit the nail on the head...maybe some of the supporters should get on the bus with the players departing!!

Can you please fill us in why and how Barnard is the problem?
Only my opinion, but when you are turning over so many home grown players that the club has put 8-10 years into (through juniors etc & some of them more), who were prepared to play for the club for less money than they were offered elsewhere, only to recruit players 30+ who you'd imagine don't come cheap, couldn't be doing the club any good. Imagine what sort of message that sends to some of the kids coming through the junior ranks. Players are often labelled "mercenaries" when they leave clubs for extra cash to play elsewhere, yet when a club treats it's own like some of these people have been treated, the excuse given is "had it too easy for far too long!" Time will tell whether Barnard is a genius or how much damage he has actually done to the Craigieburn Football Club. Personally I think the club have done a fantastic job since their inception into the EDFL and think it would be a great shame to see it all fall apart now.

Hulk I'm not fighting a battle. Just asked a few questions of yet none have been answered truthfully. A couple of answers I would expect from a three year old spoilt brat but apart from that very little at all. Answers so far: Dont want to play against my old club! Please. Refused more money from other clubs in the past! So whats stopping them from taking better money now? Probably lack of offers. Upset at not being captain! So taking my ball and going home type stuff. All very weak arguments and not what you would expect from good seasoned A GRADE footballers which would indicate that maybe they aren't. Why go to Div 2 or RDFL. Prove people wrong and get a start at a 1st division club or go to a higher competition but no more poor excuses. It's time for these people to move on or their football time will run out before they know it. And that would be sad to say the least. And as far as being Craigieburn through and through WELL they don't seem to be there so they are not Craigieburn through and through. And I certainly wouldnt like to be at the club they are moving to and playing with guys who keep implying their hearts are somewhere else. Once you move clubs the tie is broken until such time you return if at all. If they do move on their new club deserves their full attention which can only be done by CLUB players not individuals.

Article in the local paper stating up to 10 Edfl clubs are in financial trouble with outstanding debt and payments. Some may not even get to the line unless the EDFL committee are satisfied with the payment plan for the coming year. There has been talk on here about the escalating player payments and it looks like it has taken its toll on some clubs.

The article mentioned the 3 Abers recruits are costing the club close to 90k and some high profile ex AFL players up to 50k (pic of Lucas). Maybe the bubble is about to burst!

Interesting to say the least. I mentioned in an earlier post about unfinancial clubs and what is in the EDFL by-laws about not being eligible to play for points. Does anyone know any further information on this. It could be interesting to get some fed back from those who know the by-laws or constitution.

Stuff em I say!!! All club executives are aware of the league affiliation cost's and that should be the first thing ticked off before you look at the cost of ya playing list.

The league has heaps of $$ so wouldnt be too worried about it, i know years ago when Marby were rubbish the league wrote off most of there debt.

I am tipping this will just be used as an incentive and reason for the EDFL to put these clubs in Div 3... So might say unless you are financial by end of season you will be put in Div 3.

The issue is bigger than that. If and I say if the by-laws state that unfinancial clubs are inelligible to play for points there may only be handfull of clubs who can qualify for finals even this far out from the end of the season. Meaning a club who could be struggling and only win 1 game finish in the four. This is a serious situation and clubs need to know where they stand and what actions should be taken. It would be a dogs breakfast if this isn't mentioned or researched until 1 week before finals. What a mess that would be. The financial clubs deserve to know where they stand also and what ramifications will be put in place for the others.

Gday guys, can anyone tell me how Chris (Im pretty sure his name is Chris) Matheson goes from Doutta Stars, Height,Weight,Position,Ability etc?????:thumbsu:

I am tipping this will just be used as an incentive and reason for the EDFL to put these clubs in Div 3... So might say unless you are financial by end of season you will be put in Div 3.

Would never happen.... Imagine If a club like marby or keilor for example in div 3 against jacana or roxy park??

Would never happen.... Imagine If a club like marby or keilor for example in div 3 against jacana or roxy park??

Yes but I am tipping that the unfinacial clubs are not going to be the clubs like Marby & Keilor, more likely to be your Jacana, Hadfield, MV etc I would be very surprised if there was an A Grade club amongst the 10, and if they are amongst them then its a good incentive for the A grade club to come up with the coin and I reckon if they were threatened with going to Div 3 then they might start prioritising paying there league fees before signing there next recruit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hulk I'm not fighting a battle. Just asked a few questions of yet none have been answered truthfully. A couple of answers I would expect from a three year old spoilt brat but apart from that very little at all. Answers so far: Dont want to play against my old club! Please. Refused more money from other clubs in the past! So whats stopping them from taking better money now? Probably lack of offers. Upset at not being captain! So taking my ball and going home type stuff. All very weak arguments and not what you would expect from good seasoned A GRADE footballers which would indicate that maybe they aren't. Why go to Div 2 or RDFL. Prove people wrong and get a start at a 1st division club or go to a higher competition but no more poor excuses. It's time for these people to move on or their football time will run out before they know it. And that would be sad to say the least. And as far as being Craigieburn through and through WELL they don't seem to be there so they are not Craigieburn through and through. And I certainly wouldnt like to be at the club they are moving to and playing with guys who keep implying their hearts are somewhere else. Once you move clubs the tie is broken until such time you return if at all. If they do move on their new club deserves their full attention which can only be done by CLUB players not individuals.
WEll heres what I know-
Captain Nolan sits down with coach and prez to be told he is no longer captain, ok then says Nolan I'd be happy to help groom one of the younger guys for the future of the club, who is it going to be?? Well its not one of the younger guys it actually Hall whos is 31 and only been at the club 1 year:confused::confused:. Oh well ok then Nolan trains next couple of night coach and prez dont speak to him at all:confused::confused:
Senior players that have left< off the t:confused:op of my head after a few beers:D Nolan yes 2nd div, to Pacco obviously on good coin but has played for unders for years, his old man apparently has ties there. Lots of other Div 1 players are there, the club obviously wants to be in Div 1 so I think players will stay there.
Couple of guys to Montmorency div 1 northern league.
2 or 3 to Glenroy where other mates already play These guys may be the ones that have "had it to easy for to long":confused: How:confused: by rocking up week in week out, helping get Craigieburn into div 1, training, participating socially with parents on the commitee and watching on while high priced recruits come and go!! Lance Whitnall leaves Lalor cause they wanted him there for pre-season so Barnard recruits him on decent money i would presume:confused: Paul Oneil want to go play down St Marys div 1 I think.
Yes Craigieburn is a proud club supported and mainly sponsored by Locals, thoose locals like to have as many as possible (not all) local kids playing in the side Sadly allot of good locals have left for more money over the years, because there form Craigieburn they dont deserve to be on decent coin apparently the big coin is saved for the Whitnalls, Christou's and a few others.
Alot of players are leaving and Barnard does want to change things up alot but with those leaving what happens on field? the only recruits I see are George Backoulas:confused: lol why would he play at Craigieburn doubt he will last the year and a few guys from the northern saints, are they any good I dont no??
Off the field well the players leaving did contribute alot socially along with parents and freinds. so does that see the club benifit financially?? The Bottom line is Barnard and Prez are cutting things back very thin, will it cost them a spot in Div 1? Will Barnard stay if they go back to Div 2 during this rebuild or will he bail? A very interesting year ahead.

Just reading the clearances on the website and came accross a few that I hadnt heard much about.

Adam Dennis leaving Abers to play in the bush, is a huge loss to Abers, has been the heart and soul of Abers during the last few tough years.

Elvir Destanovic - leaving Doutta for East Keilor, is a pain the ass but has some ability and should dominate B Grade

Trent Croad signed at Keilor Park

Mick Egan returning home to Tulla

Chris Goulett to Abers - was a very talented teenager, remember him being mentioned alongside guys like Nick Dal Santo at junior carnivals, not sure what happened to him and why he didnt make it at that level.

Brent Hartigan leaving Keilor to play with Glenroy, seems a very strange move for a former AFL player

Former Keilor player Andrew Knezevic signed at Hillside

fab mastrapaqua leaving avondale for NT

former Moonee Valley star Johnny McNamara applied to join Pacoe

Also noticed that a lot of the Craigeiburn clearances have been denied, is it because they dont know how to fill out paper work down there or something more to it.

Yes but I am tipping that the unfinacial clubs are not going to be the clubs like Marby & Keilor, more likely to be your Jacana, Hadfield, MV etc I would be very surprised if there was an A Grade club amongst the 10, and if they are amongst them then its a good incentive for the A grade club to come up with the coin and I reckon if they were threatened with going to Div 3 then they might start prioritising paying there league fees before signing there next recruit.

I would not be so sure the A grade clubs are not on the list. End of the day the jump from B to A grade talent wise and financially is huge. Taylors Lakes for example have had to double their spend in an attempt not to finish last - double knowing they won't play finals just compete with the bottom teams and not finish last. It is a big ask and maybe a reason Craigieburn are losing so many players - the well maybe dry. I would also think Avendale Heights and Doutta Stars are doing all they can to raise more funds to obtain good players to avoid B grade and this may stretch them as well.

Abers by the looks of it has also had a huge increase in spending but is this level of spending sustainable for them long term? Agree there are some powerful clubs that play finals every year and are very well off but I would think that it is not the case for all A grade teams.

WEll heres what I know-
Captain Nolan sits down with coach and prez to be told he is no longer captain, ok then says Nolan I'd be happy to help groom one of the younger guys for the future of the club, who is it going to be?? Well its not one of the younger guys it actually Hall whos is 31 and only been at the club 1 year:confused::confused:. Oh well ok then Nolan trains next couple of night coach and prez dont speak to him at all:confused::confused:
Senior players that have left< off the t:confused:op of my head after a few beers:D Nolan yes 2nd div, to Pacco obviously on good coin but has played for unders for years, his old man apparently has ties there. Lots of other Div 1 players are there, the club obviously wants to be in Div 1 so I think players will stay there.
Couple of guys to Montmorency div 1 northern league.
2 or 3 to Glenroy where other mates already play These guys may be the ones that have "had it to easy for to long":confused: How:confused: by rocking up week in week out, helping get Craigieburn into div 1, training, participating socially with parents on the commitee and watching on while high priced recruits come and go!! Lance Whitnall leaves Lalor cause they wanted him there for pre-season so Barnard recruits him on decent money i would presume:confused: Paul Oneil want to go play down St Marys div 1 I think.
Yes Craigieburn is a proud club supported and mainly sponsored by Locals, thoose locals like to have as many as possible (not all) local kids playing in the side Sadly allot of good locals have left for more money over the years, because there form Craigieburn they dont deserve to be on decent coin apparently the big coin is saved for the Whitnalls, Christou's and a few others.
Alot of players are leaving and Barnard does want to change things up alot but with those leaving what happens on field? the only recruits I see are George Backoulas:confused: lol why would he play at Craigieburn doubt he will last the year and a few guys from the northern saints, are they any good I dont no??
Off the field well the players leaving did contribute alot socially along with parents and freinds. so does that see the club benifit financially?? The Bottom line is Barnard and Prez are cutting things back very thin, will it cost them a spot in Div 1? Will Barnard stay if they go back to Div 2 during this rebuild or will he bail? A very interesting year ahead.

Well said mate. :thumbsu:

I would not be so sure the A grade clubs are not on the list. End of the day the jump from B to A grade talent wise and financially is huge. Taylors Lakes for example have had to double their spend in an attempt not to finish last - double knowing they won't play finals just compete with the bottom teams and not finish last. It is a big ask and maybe a reason Craigieburn are losing so many players - the well maybe dry. I would also think Avendale Heights and Doutta Stars are doing all they can to raise more funds to obtain good players to avoid B grade and this may stretch them as well.

Abers by the looks of it has also had a huge increase in spending but is this level of spending sustainable for them long term? Agree there are some powerful clubs that play finals every year and are very well off but I would think that it is not the case for all A grade teams.

Yes no doubt the jump and additional expense of A Grade is huge, but I would have thought paying the league fees comes before paying players in terms of priortising so if these clubs have $$ to recruit then they shouldnt be in a position where they can not afford to pay the league. My tip is it would be clubs that barely struggle to survive that dont charge there players subs because they are just happy to get 60 guys to play in the 3 teams each week and keep the club a float with beer sales. Not your clubs generating over 150k in revenue through sponsorship, which all A league clubs would have to do, so the 10-15k in fees or what ever it is I am tipping is not a problem for these clubs.

Yes no doubt the jump and additional expense of A Grade is huge, but I would have thought paying the league fees comes before paying players in terms of priortising so if these clubs have $$ to recruit then they shouldnt be in a position where they can not afford to pay the league. My tip is it would be clubs that barely struggle to survive that dont charge there players subs because they are just happy to get 60 guys to play in the 3 teams each week and keep the club a float with beer sales. Not your clubs generating over 150k in revenue through sponsorship, which all A league clubs would have to do, so the 10-15k in fees or what ever it is I am tipping is not a problem for these clubs.

I hear what you are saying mate about paying the basics first. But thats not the way it works. at the start of the year you sit down and say what do we have to do to compete, move up ladder, play finals or win won, what players do we need and then how much does it cost. that may mean you need to go from 100K to 150K or 200 to 250K (dependig on where you sat year before) it takes a certain level of backing yourself in that you will raise the money. your got to be confident but i bet you all the money you want, although abers are confident they can raise the extra $$4 through sponsorship or chook raffles theres still the element of it will be touch and go and maybe we wont. And this is where clubs are coming un done. Biting off more than they can chew and chewing like crazy to try and stay in touch with the powerful clubs. Which ultimately leads to some clubs getting it wrong and being in trouble.

Interesting Hulk!
Unfortunately your informer is a little off the mark.

He never reappeared at training once told he wasn't captain.

And that is from a very very good source with no reason what so ever to be bias.

I think you need to delve a little deeper with your information provider.

At the end of the day lets hope he has a good year and puts it all behind him.
Lets also hope that he doesn't regret his decision in years to come.

Sometimes decisions are made with heart and not head.

Article in the local paper stating up to 10 Edfl clubs are in financial trouble with outstanding debt and payments. Some may not even get to the line unless the EDFL committee are satisfied with the payment plan for the coming year. There has been talk on here about the escalating player payments and it looks like it has taken its toll on some clubs.

The article mentioned the 3 Abers recruits are costing the club close to 90k and some high profile ex AFL players up to 50k (pic of Lucas). Maybe the bubble is about to burst!

Can confirm 10 of 24 clubs were not financial as at Dec 2010 when Presidents & Secretaries met the EDFL. AND SOME WERE A GRADE CLUBS & not all were from the bottom.

Just looked at the clearences and only 7 denied at Craigieburn on the list today.
It could be for various reasons (1) Unfinancial (2) Still have equipment in posession (3) May still be trying to keep some.
A bit more to it from what I've heard thou. Something to do with existing contacts and so on. I suppose if you sign on for more than 1 year and you have time to serve and you want to leave it would cause some issues.
Dont forget it takes 2 to tango.

Just reading the clearances on the website and came accross a few that I hadnt heard much about.

Adam Dennis leaving Abers to play in the bush, is a huge loss to Abers, has been the heart and soul of Abers during the last few tough years.

Elvir Destanovic - leaving Doutta for East Keilor, is a pain the ass but has some ability and should dominate B Grade

Trent Croad signed at Keilor Park

Mick Egan returning home to Tulla

Chris Goulett to Abers - was a very talented teenager, remember him being mentioned alongside guys like Nick Dal Santo at junior carnivals, not sure what happened to him and why he didnt make it at that level.

Brent Hartigan leaving Keilor to play with Glenroy, seems a very strange move for a former AFL player

Former Keilor player Andrew Knezevic signed at Hillside

fab mastrapaqua leaving avondale for NT

former Moonee Valley star Johnny McNamara applied to join Pacoe

Also noticed that a lot of the Craigeiburn clearances have been denied, is it because they dont know how to fill out paper work down there or something more to it.
Yes odd move on hartigans behalf, however; He is good mates with a few of them down there, also rumour has it he will only be playing every second week due to work commitments..

The two biggest offenders in the league are the A grade clubs Marby Park 40K plus and Douttas a similar figure the league has just about had enough other clubs who are behind the eight ball include Haddy and West Coburg all have been told that if they dont pay by round one there will be no points for them hence the leaks to the papers as part of the threat.

Cant wait for sunday week the best of the best comp should be a great day of local footy!

the day has recieved plenty of coverage including adds with kouta and the great matty pillios on SEN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back