EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I think St Albans will beat west coburg this week
However think west coburg match up much better against Marby then st Albans do
Will be an interesting watch

Instead of blaming the umpire who was maybe a metre or two away from the contest, blame the player who took an unprovoked swipe and connected - whether he meant it or not, he left his team a man short for the rest of the game. Straight red and no hesitation from an umpire says enough over your word. Comparing a bump and a fist has no precedent

I don't think any one person beside maybe Jesus Christ himself could have saved HS
That incident did not warrant a red card. It’s not what red cards were meant for full stop. Red cards were to eliminate players taking out opponents early in finals with off the ball incidents and cowardly shots. This was not either.
As I said SA sharks much better team on the day and definitely deserved the win. But that was a horrible call..

Have you seen a red card issued recently informant??

SA did beat Marby early in season, but if they make it just can’t see anyone beating them unless it’s pouring and windy. 😄😄
West Coburg also beat Marby early in the season.
Think it’s a whole different ballgame come GF and with Marby now a much more cohesive side…

That incident did not warrant a red card. It’s not what red cards were meant for full stop. Red cards were to eliminate players taking out opponents early in finals with off the ball incidents and cowardly shots. This was not either.
As I said SA sharks much better team on the day and definitely deserved the win. But that was a horrible call..

Hey Turbs - I just watched the incident again a few times over. For what it's worth I think it was harsh. But Reality is, the Red Card is not the Point of Issue here. The total lack of discipline from HS has cost them over many years. That example just shows the selfish attitude of that player and reflects on the whole team. Whether the Red Card call is horrible or not is irrelevant, the players act is moronic - that should be the focus of the Leaders at HS(I wonder if it was addressed????). Early final , awarded free kick 15mtrs out only to do that? Pack your bags son. And until HS Grow Up and face the fact they need to improve and judge themselves more harshly (rather than play the victim) they will continue to be B Graders

Hey Turbs - I just watched the incident again a few times over. For what it's worth I think it was harsh. But Reality is, the Red Card is not the Point of Issue here. The total lack of discipline from HS has cost them over many years. That example just shows the selfish attitude of that player and reflects on the whole team. Whether the Red Card call is horrible or not is irrelevant, the players act is moronic - that should be the focus of the Leaders at HS(I wonder if it was addressed????). Early final , awarded free kick 15mtrs out only to do that? Pack your bags son. And until HS Grow Up and face the fact they need to improve and judge themselves more harshly (rather than play the victim) they will continue to be B Graders
I didn’t see any lack of discipline by HS this year. No player reported or carded from memory.

Gremlin has a bit more clue than most on here, he picked up a HS player was targeted & hit twice of the ball when he wasn’t looking both incidents picked up on camera.
I’d suggest they were more worthy of a red card, and WC player suspended last week more worthy of a card.

I know u agreed wasn’t card worthy but the discipline stuff is off the mark.

Whilst i’m at it the list build stuff in regards to HS I’d rather be a Afl list manager much easier job with trading, drafts etc. than a local club. The league bringing in new clubs is also making it extremely difficult for existing clubs especially Div1 clubs.

HS will be fine have more talent 24 yrs & under than most clubs in Div1.

I didn’t see any lack of discipline by HS this year. No player reported or carded from memory.

Gremlin has a bit more clue than most on here, he picked up a HS player was targeted & hit twice of the ball when he wasn’t looking both incidents picked up on camera.
I’d suggest they were more worthy of a red card, and WC player suspended last week more worthy of a card.

I know u agreed wasn’t card worthy but the discipline stuff is off the mark.

Whilst i’m at it the list build stuff in regards to HS I’d rather be a Afl list manager much easier job with trading, drafts etc. than a local club. The league bringing in new clubs is also making it extremely difficult for existing clubs especially Div1 clubs.

HS will be fine have more talent 24 yrs & under than most clubs in Div1.
They will be fine in B Grade and nothing wrong with that, HS are very strong in that Grade , keeps the punters happy and the Bar sales ticking over. If they strive or really want to be an A Grade club they need to change their ways.
West Coburg , Marby , St Albans all know what it takes to compete in A Grade , HS have no idea - thus my earlier Post , they need a coach with A Grade respect and knowledge to guide them through(not paying old blokes to play who put being friendly with the opposition before having a red hot crack and showing their leadership through actions , not hollow words!)

With my own eyes - edwards in his first game for DP last season, similar incident actually
Otherwise 23' GF but wowee what a spectacle that was

A lot of opinions about Hillside on here.

And most of you know **** all. Very entertaining.

Did Castello run over your cat missesfrom15 ?

With my own eyes - edwards in his first game for DP last season, similar incident actually
Otherwise 23' GF but wowee what a spectacle that was
Yes mate exactly. So what happened on Sunday was equal to what Gloury from WC did in the GF. That call Sunday was a joke. How many weeks did he receive?

They will be fine in B Grade and nothing wrong with that, HS are very strong in that Grade , keeps the punters happy and the Bar sales ticking over. If they strive or really want to be an A Grade club they need to change their ways.
West Coburg , Marby , St Albans all know what it takes to compete in A Grade , HS have no idea - thus my earlier Post , they need a coach with A Grade respect and knowledge to guide them through(not paying old blokes to play who put being friendly with the opposition before having a red hot crack and showing their leadership through actions , not hollow words!)
SA have not competed in premier league and what have the WC and SA coaches differ from HS coaches. Holland I agree has coached higher level..

Not sure of why people continue to pot Castello. His still the Werribee games record holder and a great person. Yes he struggled a bit this season, but he deserves better than people potting him. If or When he decides to just coach he will be an absolute brilliant coach..

Turbo

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The numbers getting offered out of CB are beyond ridiculous

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
CB been relatively quiet over recent years with offers so maybe it’s their time to have a crack again. Got some great juniors so it’s probably a good time and as I said if Marby end up going up it’s going to be very open season in div1 2025. The problem with CB is the travel and the roads congestion so to get buy in, players will struggle to attend 1 night on time let alone get to both nights.

CB been relatively quiet over recent years with offers so maybe it’s their time to have a crack again. Got some great juniors so it’s probably a good time and as I said if Marby end up going up it’s going to be very open season in div1 2025. The problem with CB is the travel and the roads congestion so to get buy in, players will struggle to attend 1 night on time let alone get to both nights.

They would have some spare room in their shadow cap with Carlisle leaving, i'm of the other opinion though in that i think its better to let their youth find their feet and establish themselves at the senior level for the club before you start throwing money around.

Any club thats not backed by a sugar daddy needs a core of homegrown's for it to be sustainable, if you start bringing in too many outsiders on big coin you either tend to lose a few who feel undervalued or you stunt their growth by playing out of position or not giving them enough game time.
Unless you're prepared to go on with the spending in premier division if you take that route you are only 2-3 departes away from your club going into free fall and spending 5-6 years in no mans land again.

That's the tricky part about this division, every clubs goal should be to win a flag but if you're not well placed in terms of playing list it can be disastrous for the club after you have achieved it, takes a long term view if you're not one of the traditional big boys or a sponsor club.

Hearing some good things out of Oak Park for next year, baring something going completely wrong in the off season they will 100% be on the improve. Culture is as strong as its been since the early/mid 2000's and the group is all pulling in the same direction, still some things to sort through behind the scenes but they should pick up some handy footballers to complement what they already have.

I don't think they were that far away from the top 4 already so with the age profile of the current list and adding to it id expect them to be at the pointy end in 2025, great to see the club on the up again.

They would have some spare room in their shadow cap with Carlisle leaving, i'm of the other opinion though in that i think its better to let their youth find their feet and establish themselves at the senior level for the club before you start throwing money around.

Any club thats not backed by a sugar daddy needs a core of homegrown's for it to be sustainable, if you start bringing in too many outsiders on big coin you either tend to lose a few who feel undervalued or you stunt their growth by playing out of position or not giving them enough game time.
Unless you're prepared to go on with the spending in premier division if you take that route you are only 2-3 departes away from your club going into free fall and spending 5-6 years in no mans land again.

That's the tricky part about this division, every clubs goal should be to win a flag but if you're not well placed in terms of playing list it can be disastrous for the club after you have achieved it, takes a long term view if you're not one of the traditional big boys or a sponsor club.
I guess it’s more around recruitment of what you need to fill gaps then developing your own with those recruits. Not an easy task but CB are like HS bit in where they have decent 18.5 and probably CB have more at this time capable of playing seniors. Whereas West Coburg and St Albans are not as well off in that age group with WC having no 18.5 this season.
I think clubs like CB and HS must look to appoint a “paid” coach of 18.5 to develop any talent and have a dual development/18.5 coaching structure.
I see Districts although in div2 appointing someone with senior coaching experience and a club like Moonee Valley had an ex AFL player as coach which is huge benefit, although their seniors did struggle somewhat but they have a base underneath for the next senior coach.

Just my thoughts!! Cheers

I guess it’s more around recruitment of what you need to fill gaps then developing your own with those recruits. Not an easy task but CB are like HS bit in where they have decent 18.5 and probably CB have more at this time capable of playing seniors. Whereas West Coburg and St Albans are not as well off in that age group with WC having no 18.5 this season.
I think clubs like CB and HS must look to appoint a “paid” coach of 18.5 to develop any talent and have a dual development/18.5 coaching structure.
I see Districts although in div2 appointing someone with senior coaching experience and a club like Moonee Valley had an ex AFL player as coach which is huge benefit, although their seniors did struggle somewhat but they have a base underneath for the next senior coach.

Just my thoughts!! Cheers

You make some really good points.

CB under 18s have done alright the last couple years. Lost last years granny by a goal and now into this years prelim final.

Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t the coach the head assistant of the seniors?

You make some really good points.

CB under 18s have done alright the last couple years. Lost last years granny by a goal and now into this years prelim final.

Correct me if I’m wrong, isn’t the coach the head assistant of the seniors?
Not sure mate, but I was impressed with CB this season as a whole. Senior coach often attending games. You know I’m not loved up that way but hey, credit where it’s due.
Possibly they are seeing the bigger picture in it’s not about winning a 18.5 div1 premiership but more about how they see the future in 1-3 years time. That’s more important..

Hearing some good things out of Oak Park for next year, baring something going completely wrong in the off season they will 100% be on the improve. Culture is as strong as its been since the early/mid 2000's and the group is all pulling in the same direction, still some things to sort through behind the scenes but they should pick up some handy footballers to complement what they already have.

I don't think they were that far away from the top 4 already so with the age profile of the current list and adding to it id expect them to be at the pointy end in 2025, great to see the club on the up again.
Are they trying to bring back Peter German to be involved in some capacity?

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back