EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Hillside under achieving as always… probably should of thrown the sink at their 1 pointers like Coletta, klaromenos and Micallef rather then wasting coin and recruiting pensioners like Castello and Caruso brothers. Hillside recruiting team need to chase some youth.

Some performance by St Albans, well done!!
Big coin spent for straight sets exit.

Not sure Castello has provided what you would say value for money spent.

Fort has been fort and solid most of the year. And if you’re signing one you get them both.

Agree though they have lost some cracking 1 pointers for what ever reasons.

St.Albans probably played their best game of the year today, huge result for them. A midfield blitz in the first, they took chances in front of goal and it was going to be tough for Hillside to get back in.

Fascinating contest between Coletta and Nat Caruso, Nat had some moments but Coletta had him beat for large parts of the game. Kretiuk kept Covelli quiet for the second game this year and thought Vic Miccalef & Atu Bosenavalagi were instrumental in the first half at the stoppages. Carter best on for mine, had a huge influence in the second half with some key goals that kept the Sharks at bay, he also played behind the ball in the second and his experience showed. Galea & Gundry also good.

Think Hillside will be disappointed they couldn’t bring their best footy, Wunhym was sorely missed in the middle, an early red card obviously doesn’t help and they got next to nothing out of Castello and Fort Caruso. Thought Pettigrove tried hard all day, despite being targeted pretty heavily and Prestia as usual was busy most of the game. Whatever they do recruiting wise for ‘25 the priority should be a quality ruckman

St.Albans probably played their best game of the year today, huge result for them. A midfield blitz in the first, they took chances in front of goal and it was going to be tough for Hillside to get back in.

Fascinating contest between Coletta and Nat Caruso, Nat had some moments but Coletta had him beat for large parts of the game. Kretiuk kept Covelli quiet for the second game this year and thought Vic Miccalef & Atu Bosenavalagi were instrumental in the first half at the stoppages. Carter best on for mine, had a huge influence in the second half with some key goals that kept the Sharks at bay, he also played behind the ball in the second and his experience showed. Galea & Gundry also good.

Think Hillside will be disappointed they couldn’t bring their best footy, Wunhym was sorely missed in the middle, an early red card obviously doesn’t help and they got next to nothing out of Castello and Fort Caruso. Thought Pettigrove tried hard all day, despite being targeted pretty heavily and Prestia as usual was busy most of the game. Whatever they do recruiting wise for ‘25 the priority should be a quality ruckman
Grem, Coletta didn’t play on Nat Caruso..
In fact Nat would have been one of hillsides better forwards today..Was a target all day.
Kruitek did well on Covelli but conditions didn’t suit Covelli. Having said that with 3 umpires you would think at least 1 would see the constant jumper holds he got, yet not 1 free kick till the last quarter when the game was over.

Why did Fluke get red carded? Didn’t look like much and no demonstration from SA players. Down to 3 on the bench all game. Be interesting to see the vision as that was a huge call. Red cards usually reserved for dog acts or king hits so bit bemusing really..

I agree 💯 Hillside must target a ruckman for season 2025 as well as a classy defender and a small forward.

Points for discussion.
1. Number 10 for West Coburg just gives his guts all day long and is an outstanding player. Number 2 for West Coburg seems more interested in antagonizing the opposition resulting in stupid free kicks rather than playing football. Must frustrate the likes of number 10 for West Coburg that some of his efforts are undone by the stupidity of number 2.
2. Keilor supreme in the food kiosk. $9.00 for flathead and chips with dipping sauce. Unbelievable value.
3. Does Gloury still have a role at West Coburg after his brain fade in last years flogging in the GF by Deer Park?.
4. X AFL Plowman was given best by Marby. Anyone agree. I thought he was average.

In fact Nat would have been one of hillsides better forwards today..Was a target all day.
Kruitek did well on Covelli but conditions didn’t suit Covelli. Having said that with 3 umpires you would think at least 1 would see the constant jumper holds he got, yet not 1 free kick till the last quarter when the game was over.

Why did Fluke get red carded? Didn’t look like much and no demonstration from SA players. Down to 3 on the bench all game. Be interesting to see the vision as that was a huge call. Red cards usually reserved for dog acts or king hits so bit bemusing really..

I agree 💯 Hillside must target a ruckman for season 2025 as well as a classy defender and a small forward.
Coletta started on the second ruckman, and just kept leaving him to help out Kretiuk. Then him & Natale found themselves matched up quite a bit for the rest of the game.

I agree the conditions weren’t ideal for Josh, but can’t take anything away from Kretuik, he has taken him to cleaners twice now.

Hard to see exactly what happened with the red card, free kick paid against the player then he got up reacted. Didn’t see the strike, but the umpire was a metre away and didn’t hesitate.

Considering you tipped Hillside by 40 and dismissed St.Albans at the start of the year, you must be pretty disappointed in the performance put up today.

Not sure WC has a junior program that is to be envied...
No 18s and their 16s finished bottom of Div 3.
Will need to recruit as their current list gets older in the coming years so their points will have to increase
It has definitely slid the last 3 years, think more kids from the area now choosing CD and Pacco over WC

Coletta started on the second ruckman, and just kept leaving him to help out Kretiuk. Then him & Natale found themselves matched up quite a bit for the rest of the game.

I agree the conditions weren’t ideal for Josh, but can’t take anything away from Kretuik, he has taken him to cleaners twice now.

Hard to see exactly what happened with the red card, free kick paid against the player then he got up reacted. Didn’t see the strike, but the umpire was a metre away and didn’t hesitate.

Considering you tipped Hillside by 40 and dismissed St.Albans at the start of the year, you must be pretty disappointed in the performance put up today.
I don’t have anything invested in the result Grem but I will say I was very surprised by the result. St Albans to quick and the 1st quarter they rebounded out of defence to easy and really set the game up from that first quarter of 7 goals, as well as the 2 goals prior to 1/2 time when momentum was swinging back to Hillside a bit. Why didn’t Hillside play a defensive role on Coletta that 1st quarter is beyond me. They just let him zone off far too easy.
To kick that kind of score in a final you have to say the Hillside backline got beaten hands down.

I’m now maybe thinking St Albans could be a slight chance to upset West Coburg if they can play like that again.

Are you sure you was at the right game 👀

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hillside forward line is too slow, the ball walked out of the fwd line in the 1st qtr. Covelli, N.Caruso, Castello all slow. Absolutely need a ruckman next season. Mitch Hearne was a huge loss for most of season. Pettigrove & Prestia the obvious best for HS.

Credit to St.Albans they did play very well, should give WC a good battle next week. Micallef looked finished mid season playing as a fwd only, somehow turned it around his knee must have come good. Kolang back has made a difference as well.

Unless they go and spend $$$ on the right players I think Hillside will get worse before they get better…

The recruiting strategy this year was 30+ year olds, those blokes aren’t getting any better as they get older - they are champion players so no disrespect to them.

If Covelli retirement rumours are true then they need to replace 100 goals as well… they will need 2/3 forwards to cover that loss!

Unless they go and spend $$$ on the right players I think Hillside will get worse before they get better…

The recruiting strategy this year was 30+ year olds, those blokes aren’t getting any better as they get older - they are champion players so no disrespect to them.

If Covelli retirement rumours are true then they need to replace 100 goals as well… they will need 2/3 forwards to cover that loss!

Covelli off to Coburg District. Anyone else heard this ? 35k

Hillside forward line is too slow, the ball walked out of the fwd line in the 1st qtr. Covelli, N.Caruso, Castello all slow. Absolutely need a ruckman next season. Mitch Hearne was a huge loss for most of season. Pettigrove & Prestia the obvious best for HS.

Credit to St.Albans they did play very well, should give WC a good battle next week. Micallef looked finished mid season playing as a fwd only, somehow turned it around his knee must have come good. Kolang back has made a difference as well.
The conditions definitely suited StAlbans Sharks 😂😂 on the day, but that’s footy I guess. The St Albans Sharks won the midfield battle also.

I agree the Hillside Sharks need to find a ruckman and an experienced defender. Pettigrove did play well but is more suited to being 3rd defender as he can run & carry.

The conditions definitely suited StAlbans Sharks 😂😂 on the day, but that’s footy I guess. The St Albans Sharks won the midfield battle also.

I agree the Hillside Sharks need to find a ruckman and an experienced defender. Pettigrove did play well but is more suited to being 3rd defender as he can run & carry.
Hillside have the numbers of players and off field support to be successful but what they really need is a Leader(coach) & Strong President who create a new(better) mentality, leads higher standards across the whole club. Unless they get that they will stay where they are. Another wasted year, Hillside not winning a final in B Grade is just not acceptable no matter how you spin it........

Agree but he didn’t play as a key defender this year. Coaches played to his strengths matching him on smalls so he can intercept in the air which he did very well.
Bowkett, Colletta, Clarke key defenders for the other 3 good teams, HS the odd team out.

Last edited:
Fair post.. St Albans paying out some coin as well but so do the other 2 in Marby and Hillside but they ended up top 3. Think it’s a fair call as club got value for there investment and ST Albans probably at the same level as last season but one would assume spending slightly more in 24 than 23.
St.Albans still the same level? Won 2 finals and into a prelim, What about the rankings provided earlier maybe best to do this once the season is finished. I Wouldnt have thought finishing a game clear on 3rd, and going out in straight sets warrants Hillside A+ in my opinion.

Last edited:
Hillside have the numbers of players and off field support to be successful but what they really need is a Leader(coach) & Strong President who create a new(better) mentality, leads higher standards across the whole club. Unless they get that they will stay where they are. Another wasted year, Hillside not winning a final in B Grade is just not acceptable no matter how you spin it........

Good to see the BF panic merchants in full throttle! I’m sure HS will be fine, albeit by little disappointed!

Whilst going out in straight sets is never anyone’s plan, the conditions yesterday had a very big say in the contest. Outside of the 44-2 1st qtr, the scores were 71 SA, 63 HS after QT.
All games played over the weekend at JB were impacted by the wind!
Take WC on Saturday… 12 behinds with the wind
Game over !! Chasing arse all day.
It’s not so much an excuse but a reality.
Credit to SA though, they took advantage of that wind, and were able to capitalise with 2 late goals in the 2nd against the breeze that was very telling!
Coletta was huge and their midfield dominating the contest in the second half!
Great game next week!
Mo Saad May be an out for WC
Let’s hope for a calm and sunny day !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

St.Albans still the same level? Won 2 finals and into a prelim, What about the rankings provided earlier maybe best to do this once the season is finished. I Wouldnt have thought finishing a game clear on 3rd, and going out in straight sets warrants Hillside A+ in my opinion.
For the record I didn’t give out the ratings such as A+
Decent year but really let’s all sit back and look at things as 2025 is anyone’s year whereas 2023 Deer Park & 2024 Marby Park is a forgone conclusion.

The new coaching panel is only in the first year so let’s give it another year to see how they recruit, which is fair.

For the record I didn’t give out the ratings such as A+
Decent year but really let’s all sit back and look at things as 2025 is anyone’s year whereas 2023 Deer Park & 2024 Marby Park is a forgone conclusion.
Never said it was you Turbo giving the rating, just pointing out let's wait till the season ends to provide ratings. Nothing is a certainty in relation to Marby winning the flag this season as well, seen stranger things happen in this league

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back