EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see the BF panic merchants in full throttle! I’m sure HS will be fine, albeit by little disappointed!

Whilst going out in straight sets is never anyone’s plan, the conditions yesterday had a very big say in the contest. Outside of the 44-2 1st qtr, the scores were 71 SA, 63 HS after QT.
All games played over the weekend at JB were impacted by the wind!
Take WC on Saturday… 12 behinds with the wind
Game over !! Chasing arse all day.
It’s not so much an excuse but a reality.
Credit to SA though, they took advantage of that wind, and were able to capitalise with 2 late goals in the 2nd against the breeze that was very telling!
Coletta was huge and their midfield dominating the contest in the second half!
Great game next week!
Mo Saad May be an out for WC
Let’s hope for a calm and sunny day !

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The only difference is I haven’t heard anyone use the conditions as an excuse for West Coburg losing.
Hillside been beaten fair and square in two finals after qualifying in a strong position, just haven’t been good enough on the day.

The only difference is I haven’t heard anyone use the conditions as an excuse for West Coburg losing.
Hillside been beaten fair and square in two finals after qualifying in a strong position, just haven’t been good enough on the day.

Fair call, not saying it’s an excuse but the score line suggests it.
But they were outplayed by SA, so best team won on the day

Hillside will be fine… Relatively young club (how many years have they even had seniors?)
Successful juniors, great facilities, and a younger demographic suburb (Unlike EK, Avo Heights)
All points to a strong future methinks?

Unless they go and spend $$$ on the right players I think Hillside will get worse before they get better…

The recruiting strategy this year was 30+ year olds, those blokes aren’t getting any better as they get older - they are champion players so no disrespect to them.

If Covelli retirement rumours are true then they need to replace 100 goals as well… they will need 2/3 forwards to cover that loss!
That's what happens when the recruitment team only recruits their mates and not what's ideal for the team.

They were very predictable with Covelli every ball would go to him, so if they were to get promoted to prem they would be in trouble. Sometimes you find teams do better if they lose a player like that, not because of his ability that's unquestionable. But it forces teams to be unpredictable and look for goals through other avenues.

That's what happens when the recruitment team only recruits their mates and not what's ideal for the team.

They were very predictable with Covelli every ball would go to him, so if they were to get promoted to prem they would be in trouble. Sometimes you find teams do better if they lose a player like that, not because of his ability that's unquestionable. But it forces teams to be unpredictable and look for goals through other avenues.
I agree they may play better team footy without Covelli but outside of him their next highest was Nat Caruso with 20 odd goals so they don’t have other able to step up

Will be interesting to see who they target this off season

The conditions definitely suited StAlbans Sharks 😂😂 on the day, but that’s footy I guess. The St Albans Sharks won the midfield battle also.

I agree the Hillside Sharks need to find a ruckman and an experienced defender. Pettigrove did play well but is more suited to being 3rd defender as he can run & carry.
Conditions suited St Albans Turbo? Footy is played in ALL conditions. I think you have glossed over the real issue at play here, You are the one who said HS did not fear playing WC yet they have gone out in straight sets. Probably lucky to have gone out because Dads Army approach to recruiting was never going to succeed in Premier if they had won a Grand Final. Youth policy isnt great when the following players from the 2022 18-5 premiership are not now at the Club. A Tsia now at St Albans, J Elarmarly(comp bnf)2021 went to keilor, k Matofai forbes went to Keilor in 2023,and m Tavo went to Pascoe Vale. Maybe HS lost an opportunity to keep Cole Harvey as a senior coach.
But it seems clear that HS needs a clean out if they are to move forward. Covelli will play at Coburg Districts next year if he plays at all. What is more an issue is disgruntled HS players running around in the seconds on saturday who played most of the year in seniors but got dropped late in the year. They cant play this week so the seconds will be considerably weakened.
Possibly the seconds also go out in straight sets.
Seems to me things are not all that rosey at HS.

Anyone else hear Craigeburn throwing some money around?
I heard Collins from Bundoora. Someone else mentioned there was more to come. Anyone know who or if this is true?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conditions suited St Albans Turbo? Footy is played in ALL conditions. I think you have glossed over the real issue at play here, You are the one who said HS did not fear playing WC yet they have gone out in straight sets. Probably lucky to have gone out because Dads Army approach to recruiting was never going to succeed in Premier if they had won a Grand Final. Youth policy isnt great when the following players from the 2022 18-5 premiership are not now at the Club. A Tsia now at St Albans, J Elarmarly(comp bnf)2021 went to keilor, k Matofai forbes went to Keilor in 2023,and m Tavo went to Pascoe Vale. Maybe HS lost an opportunity to keep Cole Harvey as a senior coach.
But it seems clear that HS needs a clean out if they are to move forward. Covelli will play at Coburg Districts next year if he plays at all. What is more an issue is disgruntled HS players running around in the seconds on saturday who played most of the year in seniors but got dropped late in the year. They cant play this week so the seconds will be considerably weakened.
Possibly the seconds also go out in straight sets.
Seems to me things are not all that rosey at HS.
Ok Dandy let’s get a few things out in reply.

Dad’s Army, well Fort had a great year and Nat was also more than serviceable. The leadership was outstanding from what I heard. Castello although not as good this year as the other 2 was great with his instructions all year and his commitment.

It’s wasn’t great to lose Cole as he is a great footy person but 2 of those boys were poached by keilor and as mentioned a few times this needs to be looked at by the league.

HS didn’t have the captain Wynnum and also Hearne. Young Asiak was called up to play Jets. That’s 3 that would be in the starting 18. But hey it is what it is. SA pretty lucky with their list as pretty sure they were close to full strength. No excuses though.

On the game how was the red card issued? It was within 5 mins of the game and that incident is NOT a red card. I am yet to see a red card issued over recent times so how did the umpire make that call. The SA player got up and took his kick and played out the game. RED cards are not for these incidents. I recently seen the APW bump against Pacco and the Roxy hit on Craigieburn which were 100 times worse and no red cards. HS had to play a final with only 21 players. Horrible call…
Was this the same umpire from last weeks HS game? really hope his stood down from this weeks games as a suspension if we are being consistent and have standards.

Will Covelli go? I doubt it, but I did hear 40k and if true that’s huge coin and would be difficult to refuse but he has to play on that CD swamp every 2nd week which is not ideal for a player like him. Just saying..And will he get his $$ as I would stipulate it be paid every 2nd week so it’s in your hand.

I agree they may play better team footy without Covelli but outside of him their next highest was Nat Caruso with 20 odd goals so they don’t have other able to step up

Will be interesting to see who they target this off season
Should of thrown Castello sign on money to Bailey Ryan that went to douttas. He’s an absolute star and very young still.

They had the players but every star leaves them for some reason.

Dad’s Army, well Fort had a great year and Nat was also more than serviceable. The leadership was outstanding from what I heard. Castello although not as good this year as the other 2 was great with his instructions all year and his commitment.

It’s wasn’t great to lose Cole as he is a great footy person but 2 of those boys were poached by keilor and as mentioned a few times this needs to be looked at by the league.

HS didn’t have the captain Wynnum and also Hearne. Young Asiak was called up to play Jets. That’s 3 that would be in the starting 18. But hey it is what it is. SA pretty lucky with their list as pretty sure they were close to full strength. No excuses though.

On the game how was the red card issued? It was within 5 mins of the game and that incident is NOT a red card. I am yet to see a red card issued over recent times so how did the umpire make that call. The SA player got up and took his kick and played out the game. RED cards are not for these incidents. I recently seen the APW bump against Pacco and the Roxy hit on Craigieburn which were 100 times worse and no red cards. HS had to play a final with only 21 players. Horrible call…
Was this the same umpire from last weeks HS game? really hope his stood down from this weeks games as a suspension if we are being consistent and have standards.

Will Covelli go? I doubt it, but I did hear 40k and if true that’s huge coin and would be difficult to refuse but he has to play on that CD swamp every 2nd week which is not ideal for a player like him. Just saying..And will he get his $$ as I would stipulate it be paid every 2nd week so it’s in your hand.
First the conditions, Now StAlbans were pretty lucky with their list. HS had players out from best 22 ( geez thats not common in footy), Umpires were a problem for you as not consistent. Geez that happens every week to all Clubs .
You seem to query poaching by bigger Clubs .100 per cent agree its not right. But how did young Tavo get to HS in the first place. Pot calling kettle black mate. Dont doubt Covelli going, He is out the door. If its 40k as you suggets then footy is stuffed.

Should of thrown Castello sign on money to Bailey Ryan that went to douttas. He’s an absolute star and very young still.

They had the players but every star leaves them for some reason.
Ryan has no beef with HS as went to play premier league. It wasn’t money that swayed him so get with it..

Anyone else hear Craigeburn throwing some money around?
I heard Collins from Bundoora. Someone else mentioned there was more to come. Anyone know who or if this is true?

I heard a while back Collins to Roxy, makes sense he’s mrs plays there and the father in law is the coach of the women’s side.

What would be the connection to Craigieburn ?

Instead of blaming the umpire who was maybe a metre or two away from the contest, blame the player who took an unprovoked swipe and connected - whether he meant it or not, he left his team a man short for the rest of the game. Straight red and no hesitation from an umpire says enough over your word. Comparing a bump and a fist has no precedent

I don't think any one person beside maybe Jesus Christ himself could have saved HS

DC announced as Talbots new coach yesterday
Have heard micallef (tulla) and laffen (cburn) are making the trip down the highway with him

looking back at socials Laffen has re signed

Nothing on Micallef on Tulla socials, could be on the money.

Attachments

• IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 41
Instead of blaming the umpire who was maybe a metre or two away from the contest, blame the player who took an unprovoked swipe and connected - whether he meant it or not, he left his team a man short for the rest of the game. Straight red and no hesitation from an umpire says enough over your word. Comparing a bump and a fist has no precedent

I don't think any one person beside maybe Jesus Christ himself could have saved HS
Turbo , this is 100% correct , why did the player put himself in the position in the first place - UNDICSIPILINED(and then everyone at Hillside wants to blame the Umpire - dumb/stupid mentality) .. And that's the core of the issue at HS, YOU AND OTHERS DEFEND THEIR DEFICINICIES INSTEAD OF IDENTIFYING THEM AND MAKE CHANGES!!!!! That's the only way HS will improve, get a NEW set of eyes in there and don't accept anything but change, do not accept dumb excuses like availabilities, weather, umpires... Cmon mate , I don't mind a lot of the stuff you post on here but you are way off with your comments on HS from the weekend. And I do think HS can be a strong Premier Club , they have the structure but need Proper Leaders to improve them(Costello is not one of them, too busy being matey with the opposition to minimise the chances of something physical happening to him - Fact...) Fort and Nat still have a go and lead by example.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Div 1 Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back