EDFL Division 1 - 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which is inconvenient for a hell of a lot of people. Particularly those with families and weekend jobs.

It is hard enough to get there 3 nights a week as it is.

It's the people with the families that do contribute... As I said it's two hours one weekend per year

Coincidentally a few years back when they said it was a compulsory event and had an effect on selection 15-20 blokes turned up...

It's the people with the families that do contribute... As I said it's two hours one weekend per year

Coincidentally a few years back when they said it was a compulsory event and had an effect on selection 15-20 blokes turned up...

Depending on what their partners and children do.
Committee members yes. Players, I highly doubt it.

Footy clubs ask a lot of players, which I have no problem with and I'd be happy to help out when possible but you can't realistically expect that people will drop everything to go to a working bee on a weekend. Particularly if the players are not getting paid to play in the first place.

Depending on what their partners and children do.
Committee members yes. Players, I highly doubt it.

Footy clubs ask a lot of players, which I have no problem with and I'd be happy to help out when possible but you can't realistically expect that people will drop everything to go to a working bee on a weekend. Particularly if the players are not getting paid to play in the first place.

If blokes are working or genuinely can't attend of course there is room for leniency... You can't tell me out of 60 blokes 59 had legitimate reasons most just couldn't be bothered more than likely...... my point is more that because players don't put in it's left to the same old people at clubs to do it and right now time is at a premium for people trying to balance work and family life if clubs lose the people that do contribute who will fill that gap? Many hands make light work

... And it's not just about NS... It's all clubs in all leagues in all divisions

If blokes are working or genuinely can't attend of course there is room for leniency... You can't tell me out of 60 blokes 59 had legitimate reasons most just couldn't be bothered more than likely...... my point is more that because players don't put in it's left to the same old people at clubs to do it and right now time is at a premium for people trying to balance work and family life if clubs lose the people that do contribute who will fill that gap? Many hands make light work

... And it's not just about NS... It's all clubs in all leagues in all divisions

100% correct cranberry. We had our working bee on last friday instead of training and all up 31 blokes made an appearance for at least 1 hour. We get 50-55 on the track so thats more than half our list. All we did was get pizzas and a few beers and we had a bit of a laugh as well. Players all need to chip in sometimes and the result is the rooms are in perfect order for the boys to enjoy

Players all need to chip in sometimes and the result is the rooms are in perfect order for the boys to enjoy

That's exactly it... They are the ones who benefit from the work they put in

Probably a good idea to schedule the working bee instead of training one night in pre season

To be fair I doubt many players from any clubs show up to their clubs working bees most guys just don't give a ****... I know northern saints working bee last year was attended by one player, the majority of people who contributed were all committee members...

Same story at every club though... Too much left to too few

its pretty obvious why this happens i would of thought

players at these type of clubs are not there to 'play for the jumper' or help out at all costs

they are there for the money and thats it! and which is why in my opinion the vafa is and always will be the best local footy comp going around, both in the club culture and standard of footy

players at these type of clubs are not there to 'play for the jumper' or help out at all costs

they are there for the money and thats it! and which is why in my opinion the vafa is and always will be the best local footy comp going around, both in the club culture and standard of footy

Shocking call. Plenty of blokes don't get paid to play footy. I have seen both sides of this as a player and committee. The players are training 2-3 nights a week from November until September, they can play 20 plus games a year. Yes the committees work hard to but blokes do have families/jobs/lives.
VAFA "no money" is a fraud, plenty of $ to be found if blokes search hard enough ....

Disagree... Couldn't see wealthy private school kids chipping in at a working bee

Also the atmosphere at vafa games has nothing on local suburban leagues like edfl NFL etc Fu*k all people at ammos games And the suburb vs suburb tribalism that is local footy as opposed to school vs school

100% correct cranberry. We had our working bee on last friday instead of training and all up 31 blokes made an appearance for at least 1 hour. We get 50-55 on the track so thats more than half our list. All we did was get pizzas and a few beers and we had a bit of a laugh as well. Players all need to chip in sometimes and the result is the rooms are in perfect order for the boys to enjoy

Which is what I said. Do it on a training night.

Ammos... Better than EDFL.. You must be taking the piss
Went to one Ammo game last year and no crowd,bugger all food,asked people who were playing and they didnt even know name of opposing team, ...quality of football was far from EDFL standard

Shocking call. Plenty of blokes don't get paid to play footy. I have seen both sides of this as a player and committee. The players are training 2-3 nights a week from November until September, they can play 20 plus games a year. Yes the committees work hard to but blokes do have families/jobs/lives.
VAFA "no money" is a fraud, plenty of $ to be found if blokes search hard enough ....

Now that is a shocking call:thumbsdown:. Committee dont get paid either but they still do it. Players commit to 3 nights a week but if you have been on a committee as you say, you would know that a committee role is much more than 3 times a week. Dont make excuses for players because if they are good people, they would chip in and help out. Like l said, its for them anyway

You obviously must be some kind of mind reader to make such a ridiculous statement. How can you possibly know what the players "think"?

Never claimed to read minds. Simply stated a personal conclusion based on knowledge of facts (as posted and so far undisputed) and subsequent actions of some players.

They are not "servants" and yes they have been loyal.

Read back through previous posts, the term "loyal servants" is not my creation. We may though have different opinions on what constitutes loyalty (and a contract possibly?)

As far as putting their hands up off field and cleanup duty you have now idea.

More of an idea than you may think. You will note I said many, not all. More than happy to acknowledge that some of those seeking clearances have made wonderful off field contributions.

Now that is a shocking call:thumbsdown:. Committee dont get paid either but they still do it. Players commit to 3 nights a week but if you have been on a committee as you say, you would know that a committee role is much more than 3 times a week. Dont make excuses for players because if they are good people, they would chip in and help out. Like l said, its for them anyway

Do we expect to see the committee out on the training track? As the above posts stated "do it on a training night".
I'm not "claiming" anything, I've played, coached , team managed and been on committe. I have a balanced view on this, not having the extra time for a working bee doesn't make players bad people, just busy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting philosophy.. its the committees job to ensure the players are involved. The club I belong to have a roster, and each week the captain of either the first or seconds organises a team to empty bins, collect glasses etc.. It works a charm, this has been ruinning a couple of years now and it is to the point the boys just organise themselves. You always have a few who dont think it is there job, but we even get the under 18's. It is their club too.

Maybe we are lucky as the seniors players have always actively helped with renovations, donations of materials etc. Its the club culture that breeds these thoughts.

Interesting philosophy.. its the committees job to ensure the players are involved. The club I belong to have a roster, and each week the captain of either the first or seconds organises a team to empty bins, collect glasses etc.. It works a charm, this has been ruinning a couple of years now and it is to the point the boys just organise themselves. You always have a few who dont think it is there job, but we even get the under 18's. It is their club too.

Maybe we are lucky as the seniors players have always actively helped with renovations, donations of materials etc. Its the club culture that breeds these thoughts.

Well said, fully agree.

Very interesting to see the number of clubs in B Grade who have been in B Grade for a long time and who now have to work on stategies to survive not being relegated to C Grade. In the past, these clubs who may have had a poor year in the bottom half of B Grade would see out the season, knowing that they could work on recruiting over the summer, have a good pre-season and then front up the following year and play at the same level. It has always been the case for the bottom 3 or 4 A Grade clubs to work on ways to stay in A Grade.
Now we have a few A Grade clubs and around 8 or 9 B Grade clubs all having the "relegation" thing hanging over their head. All of a sudden, there are half the clubs in the EDFL having to recruit and spend morte $$$$ to survive at the level they want to be in. It will be interesting to see where it will all end in 12 months time. Some collateral damage i would say!!!

Jacana had a practice match against Reservoir last Saturday in the pouring rain. Although no-one officially kept score, Jacana barely lost by 3 goals. It was a 6 quarter match, with Reservoir fielding their two's for the first 3 quarters and their seniors for the second 3 quarters. Jacana rotated through a squad of around 30-35 players. Considering a lot of players couldn't make it due to cricket commitments, this must be viewed as a huge positive. There is a definite change of culture down there. All of the so called rabble are gone and there is a new, fresh and optimistic atmosphere at the club. Congrats to the guys who are part of the turn-around. Really pleasing to hear that Jacana is on the up and up.

Hillside are playing Sunshine Heights from the WRFL in a 6 quarter hit out tonight at shark park, in what should be a pretty good hitout for both teams. Hillside have not played an intra club yet and this will be a good test of where they need to get to for the season proper.
Alot of new recruits at hillside this year, so it will be interesting to see how the old faces and the new faces gel together. Exciting times for the club, we will suprise a few this year and definatly stay out of C grade.

Hillside are playing Sunshine Heights from the WRFL in a 6 quarter hit out tonight at shark park, in what should be a pretty good hitout for both teams. Hillside have not played an intra club yet and this will be a good test of where they need to get to for the season proper.
Alot of new recruits at hillside this year, so it will be interesting to see how the old faces and the new faces gel together. Exciting times for the club, we will suprise a few this year and definatly stay out of C grade.

Rumour as fact! Hillside approached WRFL last year about joining that league. Sharks wanted the proviso that they start in Div 1. WRFL said NO!

Cannons TAC cup list is out - plenty of EDFL representation as always

http://ow.ly/9v39o

Aberfeldie: Liam McBean, Joe Daniher, Anthony Prestia, Josh Ojamiren, Daniel Ratcliffe, Charly Williams, Joel Madden, Matthew Merlo

Assumption College: Sam Gemmill, Riley Ross, Zac Keogh

Craigieburn: Nick Fletcher

Diggers Rest: Jack Sheahan

Doutta Stars: Marcus Calvaresi, Jordan Angus, Mitch Jensen, Dayne Tannenberg, Jake Brown

East Keilor: Jordan Madden

Fitzroy: Jacob McCormack

Gisborne: James Ferry

Gisborne Rookies: Jonathan O'Rourke

Greenvale: Keegan Shrimpton, Jayden Walker

Jacana: Billy Morrison

Macedon: Lachlan Plowman, Matthew Dick

Maribyrnong Park: Rory Atkins

Moonee Valley: Reilly O'Brien

Oak Park: Errol McConnell

Pascoe Vale: Jesse Boyd

Rupertswood: Sean Hetherington, Liam Berry, Sean Gregory

St Bernards: Daniel Thompson, Will Considine

Strathmore: Darcy Bailey, Josh Rule, Andrew Galucci, Ryan Arrowsmith, Xavier Allison

Sunbury Kangaroos: Jake Young

Sunbury Lions: Jason Cooke, Aaron Christensen

West Coburg: Omar Abdallah, Adam Saad

Woodend: Alex Shipard, Jake Owen

can definatly say that is a load of bollocks. care to name your sources?

I will not name my sources other to say it is close to WRFL. It was not a formal submission but an informal one with the A Grade proviso. Hillside was given a definite NO. This is similar to St Albans doing the same with the EDFL a couple of years ago and also getting knocked back.
Hillside obviously wouldn't want to admit this.

Very interesting to see the number of clubs in B Grade who have been in B Grade for a long time and who now have to work on stategies to survive not being relegated to C Grade. In the past, these clubs who may have had a poor year in the bottom half of B Grade would see out the season, knowing that they could work on recruiting over the summer, have a good pre-season and then front up the following year and play at the same level. It has always been the case for the bottom 3 or 4 A Grade clubs to work on ways to stay in A Grade.
Now we have a few A Grade clubs and around 8 or 9 B Grade clubs all having the "relegation" thing hanging over their head. All of a sudden, there are half the clubs in the EDFL having to recruit and spend morte $$$$ to survive at the level they want to be in. It will be interesting to see where it will all end in 12 months time. Some collateral damage i would say!!!

Collateral Damage you say...

"The EDFL will NOT mess with the INTEGRITY of A Grade"... i heard

So lets just say every club in A Grade has nothing to be worried about because relegation to B Grade, is not relegation to C Grade.

This is the B Grade thread

Dont get me wrong i think that the league and clubs will benefit & prosper by introducing a 3rd tier, if done correctly
If the EDFL dont get this "c grade" move right , i think the EDFL will look back and regret the way they went about things...
All you have to do is see the clubs that are not going well this year..(because EDFL said c grade was coming in this year.full stop.) with limited information about the implementation of this, caused clubs to be anxious, concerned etc.

EDFL want a strong 3 tier league, im all for this & it will be great, but it wont be if they have there blinkers on...... shouldnt rush this kind of decision.
If their is only or 5 or 6 clubs playing against each other every 4 or 5 weeks, it will die off , clubs will look at other leagues as well as players.

.....and IF a club folds, what would they do with c grade :footy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back