1. Keilor Mick McGuane
2. Greenvale Steve McPherson
3. Abers Dean Rioli
4. Douttas John Barnes
5. C'Burn Paul Barnard
6. Heights Chris Johnson
7. Marby. Brodie Holland
8. S'More Digby Morrell

What a great competition we have in order to attract such talent, not to mention the number of other ex AFL players who are just playing in the EDFL. Let's hope Oak Park retain Todd Clark and a real smokey for the West Coburg job is ex under 18's coach Neil Taylor.

You are right in what you say, but $$$$ that the clubs in this league seem to be able to produce are unbelievable. Most metro comps have 2-3 sides who are cashed up (WRFL- Spotty, Colts, Hoppers/Sth- St kida City/Hth- Heidelburg,bund/East-Balw, Vermt), yet there is plenty to go around in the EDFL. A dozen or so years ago, I don't remember any ex-AFL players other than Denny, and there didn't seem to have big budgets.

Yes the EDFL is a fantastic comp, just don't think that money is not a huge factor.

You are right in what you say, but $$$$ that the clubs in this league seem to be able to produce are unbelievable. Most metro comps have 2-3 sides who are cashed up (WRFL- Spotty, Colts, Hoppers/Sth- St kida City/Hth- Heidelburg,bund/East-Balw, Vermt), yet there is plenty to go around in the EDFL. A dozen or so years ago, I don't remember any ex-AFL players other than Denny, and there didn't seem to have big budgets.

Yes the EDFL is a fantastic comp, just don't think that money is not a huge factor.

Couldn't agree more about how the EDFL should be selling the fact that there are 8 ex-AFL coaches in the comp. Surely no other metro or country comp can claim that.

Appreciate there is some wealthy suburbs in the district - Essendon, West Essendon, Greenvale, Keilor but amazes me how clubs can keep finding the coin.

Any news on the off-season to report or are clubs hush-hush so the more wealthier clubs don't come in at the last minute with an extra $200?

Heard the Mores and Douttas have been very, very active so far with players signed already. Thought Avondale might have been in some trouble but the signing of Johnson might have changed that. Is it true Abers are losing a few?

can somebody tell me how clubs go about signing players at this stage of a year. Is it more than a gentleman's agreement.
Obviously a player can sign a contract, but contracts are not valid until he is officially registered with a club, and clearances cant go in until the 1st of Feb.
It may be a dumb question but call me curious.

can somebody tell me how clubs go about signing players at this stage of a year. Is it more than a gentleman's agreement.
Obviously a player can sign a contract, but contracts are not valid until he is officially registered with a club, and clearances cant go in until the 1st of Feb.
It may be a dumb question but call me curious.

Gentleman's agreement til rego's become official (after Feb 1st) - even after that I dont think contracts are legally bound :confused:

Gentleman's agreement til rego's become official (after Feb 1st) - even after that I dont think contracts are legally bound :confused:

Gentleman's agreements or handshake agreements are open to scrutiny, albeit some would argue that point. Essentially until a player is fully registered with the intent to play it is not binding until then.

I checked with a lawyer friend involved in these types of documents. Once a player's 'John Hancock' is down on paper its generally considered legally binding. Can only dispute at Transfer Level if one of the three golden rules are breached: 1. Is the player under contract? (presumably a previous one to which he can most certainly be held to), 2. Is the player in possession of club property? and 3. Does the player owe money to a former club?

I looked at a mate's contract and AFL Victoria, the governing football body for the State of Victoria says that the standard player contract distributed to all Leagues and Clubs specifically states -
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]"The[FONT=&quot] club and player acknowledge that this contract has been entered into in good faith. The contract shall commence on the date of signing, subject to the player being registered with the League. The[/FONT][FONT=&quot] contract period shall terminate on the 31st [/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]day[/FONT][FONT=&quot] of October in the final year referred to. The contract can only be terminated by the club if the player is in breach of any of his obligations."[/FONT][/FONT]

Obviously any club can alter the exact wording, but more importantly once done, it has been executed with legal authority, and AFL Victoria (or a court of law) would view these documents as official.

Couldn't agree more about how the EDFL should be selling the fact that there are 8 ex-AFL coaches in the comp. Surely no other metro or country comp can claim that.

Appreciate there is some wealthy suburbs in the district - Essendon, West Essendon, Greenvale, Keilor but amazes me how clubs can keep finding the coin.

Any news on the off-season to report or are clubs hush-hush so the more wealthier clubs don't come in at the last minute with an extra $200?

Heard the Mores and Douttas have been very, very active so far with players signed already. Thought Avondale might have been in some trouble but the signing of Johnson might have changed that. Is it true Abers are losing a few?

The league needs a younger person, a Matty Pillios type who is not involved with a club, who is business minded, with good contacts and importantly somebody who knows the club people to take the comp by the scruff of its neck. I am from the WRFL and just can’t believe the talent your competition produces, but how poor the media side is and the admin still runs the league and still runs it similar to 10 years ago out of tin sheds, with limited exposure and no events. It seems like it has been the same people running the comp for the past 20 years ????

The league needs a younger person, a Matty Pillios type who is not involved with a club, who is business minded, with good contacts and importantly somebody who knows the club people to take the comp by the scruff of its neck. I am from the WRFL and just can’t believe the talent your competition produces, but how poor the media side is and the admin still runs the league and still runs it similar to 10 years ago out of tin sheds, with limited exposure and no events. It seems like it has been the same people running the comp for the past 20 years ????

“I have heard Matthew Pillios has officially stood away from Marby Park FC. Unsure for what reasons, but has definitely told me he not going to be involved”.

I really hope the EDFL contacts Matty as he would be the perfect person to have onboard. The EDFL is really behind in its media operations and that is where Matty has the experience. All you have to do is look at other leagues to see how far ahead they are when it comes to media exposure.

Some leagues had their grand finals broadcast live on the internet. That isnt just a radio broadcast but you could actually watch the game. All we get from the EDFL is a crappy show from Dean and Frankie. Sorry Dean and Frankie but you cant do much in 10 minutes!!!

Matty is a good friend of mine so yes I may be biased but I do know that he is passionate about the league and would take this league in a new direction.

FORWARDS!!!! :)

“I have heard Matthew Pillios has officially stood away from Marby Park FC. Unsure for what reasons, but has definitely told me he not going to be involved”.

Yeah told me the same thing.

I really hope the EDFL contacts Matty as he would be the perfect person to have onboard. The EDFL is really behind in its media operations and that is where Matty has the experience. All you have to do is look at other leagues to see how far ahead they are when it comes to media exposure.

Some leagues had their grand finals broadcast live on the internet. That isnt just a radio broadcast but you could actually watch the game. All we get from the EDFL is a crappy show from Dean and Frankie. Sorry Dean and Frankie but you cant do much in 10 minutes!!!

Matty is a good friend of mine so yes I may be biased but I do know that he is passionate about the league and would take this league in a new direction.

FORWARDS!!!! :)

Agree 100% with all the clubs putting in a massive effort in regards to improving the league it's a shame of late the only real coverage the league has recieved has been negative (brodies suspension and the northern saints vs tulla debacle). It'd be good for the league to help counter the negative press by giving outsiders a look into the workings of the league whether it be by bringing back the footy show or whatever, something needs to be done and i believe Matty would be a great person to have involved in it as it's very much doubtful that there's anyone with as much passion and contacts around the league as him.:thumbsu:

Yeah told me the same thing.

Agree 100% with all the clubs putting in a massive effort in regards to improving the league it's a shame of late the only real coverage the league has recieved has been negative (brodies suspension and the northern saints vs tulla debacle). It'd be good for the league to help counter the negative press by giving outsiders a look into the workings of the league whether it be by bringing back the footy show or whatever, something needs to be done and i believe Matty would be a great person to have involved in it as it's very much doubtful that there's anyone with as much passion and contacts around the league as him.:thumbsu:

So what is matty doing now he has left marbi? Obviously would be a great pick-up for any club. It's a fantastic league but its not a competition - Marbi have just added a couple more guns to their list - 2 former AFL players and another former VFL player, nobody can compete with that. All fairly young blokes too. Also, heard douttas have decided not to re-sign two of their best midfielders in Ramsey and Wright.

Marbi premiers 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 etc. etc....very boring 'competition'
'

i

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So what is matty doing now he has left marbi? Obviously would be a great pick-up for any club. It's a fantastic league but its not a competition - Marbi have just added a couple more guns to their list - 2 former AFL players and another former VFL player, nobody can compete with that. All fairly young blokes too. Also, heard douttas have decided not to re-sign two of their best midfielders in Ramsey and Wright.

'

Hope you're right there prophetic.....im sure that wouldn't bore the Marby Army!

'

I don't believe we will have a comp like the NFL where one side dominates as I can't see G'vale, Keilor or the Mores letting Marbi dominate each year. These clubs still have reasonable cheque books.

Think you will find Ramsay didn't have one of his best years but agree he will be a big loss but from what I have heard over pots down the Linc, Douttas have replaced him and more.....

i

I don't believe we will have a comp like the NFL where one side dominates as I can't see G'vale, Keilor or the Mores letting Marbi dominate each year. These clubs still have reasonable cheque books.

Think you will find Ramsay didn't have one of his best years but agree he will be a big loss but from what I have heard over pots down the Linc, Douttas have replaced him and more.....

Haynes is confirmed.
By all reports Strathmores making a fair effort at catching up to marby in the spending stakes.
also...the "Marby Army" is the most laughable group going around, most of whom don't know who all the marby players are.:thumbsdown:

It appears the EDFL is seriously considering running an Open Age Netball competition in 2010. They have asked clubs to provide an expression of interest. Naturally it isn't compulsory to field a team and all they are trying to do is gauge interest at club level. I know alot of country leagues incorporate this sport into their local clubs which is a great opportunity to cater for women, ie. girlfriends/partners/wives of footballers etc. The EDFL would probably become the Essendon District Football and Netball League if it went ahead.

I have asked a few footy mates I work with and one from the Ovens League says its long overdue.

Thoughts guys?

It appears the EDFL is seriously considering running an Open Age Netball competition in 2010. They have asked clubs to provide an expression of interest. Naturally it isn't compulsory to field a team and all they are trying to do is gauge interest at club level. I know alot of country leagues incorporate this sport into their local clubs which is a great opportunity to cater for women, ie. girlfriends/partners/wives of footballers etc. The EDFL would probably become the Essendon District Football and Netball League if it went ahead.

I have asked a few footy mates I work with and one from the Ovens League says its long overdue.

Thoughts guys?

i played in the north central league a few years back and they do the same thing. They have netball courts outdoors, next to the football grounds and play onn saturday mornings. After the netball all the ladies watch the footy. And needless to say in the clubrooms afterwards it was party time! i say bring it on, way overdue! metro footy would benefit from it.

Thoughts guys?
Netball in the RDFL is growing legs, most sides have 3 Teams A,B & C division's, all clubs must have netball courts, which would be difficult in the EDFL due to built up area's.

Thoughts guys?

Great Abers initiative to get the EDFL and Council on board. Should have a court ready by the coming season along with a good coach according to rumour. Very good way to attract women to clubs and promote women's sport.

Hope you're right there prophetic.....im sure that wouldn't bore the Marby Army!

Marbyarmy you and i both know their right
Marby will destroy this comp for the next 10 years especially if you want me to coach....lol

Great catching up tonite...marbyarmy rock!!
Rock07 has spoken,,,BLIND Great nite

Things can change quickly mate. Marby just doing their best to win. it is up to the others to keep up. Just remember Greenvale lead the granny by 25 points deep into 3rd quarter and have lost just 3 games in 2 seasons. They are not far away either. Keilor always strong and very professional so is Strathmore. Footy goes in cycles. Nobody dominates for ever

Marbyarmy you and i both know their right
Marby will destroy this comp for the next 10 years especially if you want me to coach....lol

Great catching up tonite...marbyarmy rock!!
Rock07 has spoken,,,BLIND Great nite

You're a funny man rock...if i remember correctly though it was more an application on your part for our coaching job!! LOL

And god only knows how you managed to post on 'ere and make any sort of sense when u got home

You're a funny man rock...if i remember correctly though it was more an application on your part for our coaching job!! LOL

And god only knows how you managed to post on 'ere and make any sort of sense when u got home

Don't think it made much sense, certainly didn't mean to write that you wanted me to coach..lol
Look fwd to our next drink.....derby day!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back