EDFL Premier Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He did , after he sacked interm coach Pat , to hire full time coach off the yr Pat

The thing is, you hear about the old EK people who have been around the club for years that aren't happy ect... My question is, Why don't these people put their hand up and form a committee and run the club? Until they do that , then Pat can do what he likes as it seems he's the only one keeping that club running , regardless of anyone's opinion who only has exactly that(an opinion), which means nothing unless you're willing to act...

The thing is, you hear about the old EK people who have been around the club for years that aren't happy ect... My question is, Why don't these people put their hand up and form a committee and run the club? Until they do that , then Pat can do what he likes as it seems he's the only one keeping that club running , regardless of anyone's opinion who only has exactly that(an opinion), which means nothing unless you're willing to act...

Rumours are there plenty of fairly obvious reasons why people aren't all that willing to want to do that...

One word - SCARED

Thoughts about how this division compares with premier division from other competitions? I have followed edfl for a very long time but recently started watching the BNFL. I must say, Torquay tigers (top of premier division) would beat Keilor comfortably. Be interesting to compare these different leagues.
keilor would annihilate torquay mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

$120,000 would cover the top 5-6 players at EK and Pacco. The other 16 must be playing for nix.
Gee old mate, that’s a strange comment coming from a strathmore man. Are you telling us Strathmore have never spent up on players? Let me remind you of a couple Firrito, Macintosh, Cachia just to name a few. Oh and I know a big offer was made to entice an ex Pacco player across.

Gee old mate, that’s a strange comment coming from a strathmore man. Are you telling us Strathmore have never spent up on players? Let me remind you of a couple Firrito, Macintosh, Cachia just to name a few. Oh and I know a big offer was made to entice an ex Pacco player across.
Hell Turbo that was quick. Your phone must send you an alert whenever anyone posts anything about Pacco.

Lot higher salary cap (240,000- $250,000?) in place when those you mentioned played. Besides that, most Mores players are more than happy to play for peanuts, just so they can play with their mates.

Hell Turbo that was quick. Your phone must send you an alert whenever anyone posts anything about Pacco.

Lot higher salary cap (240,000- $250,000?) in place when those you mentioned played. Besides that, most Mores players are more than happy to play for peanuts, just so they can play with their mates.
At a guess, Strathmore's (and Abers, Keilor etc) TPP would have gone down quite significantly since the cap was introduced, whilst Pacco is seemingly happy to duel it out with EK and DP for the big spenders title, given the numbers they bring through the doors.

I agree that Strathmore have a lot of homegrown 1 pointers and ultimately the introduction of the player points system favoured clubs like Strathmore, Keilor, Abers but it’s great to see other club’s challenging. I’m not against spending money as long as those clubs have it to spend. But don’t like clubs breaking rules and going outside the points or over the cap.
Also mate these clubs had to recruit due to have smaller junior participating numbers. I do see that Pacco has worked hard on their juniors and now competing with the big 3. Probably in some respects overpassing Abers and to a point Strathmore judging by the results/ladder positions. I congratulate them for that. Also let’s give them credit for retention of senior players and getting the likes of Watson, Allan, Ahern back to their junior clubs.

I don’t care to much for EK but it’s great to see another club challenging and making the top 4. I’m not sure they will beat your mob this weekend but I’m sure even you prefer that more clubs are competing.
On the negative side the gap from the haves to have nots is getting bigger and although I don’t think the EK model is sustainable without the $$ how does the promoted club make finals. You can’t bring in a new coach who can bring 6-7 players so you have to do it with $$ over a few years.

Good luck over the weekend Stax

I agree that Strathmore have a lot of homegrown 1 pointers and ultimately the introduction of the player points system favoured clubs like Strathmore, Keilor, Abers but it’s great to see other club’s challenging. I’m not against spending money as long as those clubs have it to spend. But don’t like clubs breaking rules and going outside the points or over the cap.
Also mate these clubs had to recruit due to have smaller junior participating numbers. I do see that Pacco has worked hard on their juniors and now competing with the big 3. Probably in some respects overpassing Abers and to a point Strathmore judging by the results/ladder positions. I congratulate them for that. Also let’s give them credit for retention of senior players and getting the likes of Watson, Allan, Ahern back to their junior clubs.

I don’t care to much for EK but it’s great to see another club challenging and making the top 4. I’m not sure they will beat your mob this weekend but I’m sure even you prefer that more clubs are competing.
On the negative side the gap from the haves to have nots is getting bigger and although I don’t think the EK model is sustainable without the $$ how does the promoted club make finals. You can’t bring in a new coach who can bring 6-7 players so you have to do it with $$ over a few years.

Good luck over the weekend Stax
A fair response Turbo.
Those clubs have all had to rebuild under the current system, with many of the big ticket players having hung them up or headed elsewhere.
Pacco timed their run reasonably well in that sense with quite a few of their recruits now being considered 1 pointers, allowing greater flexibility for additional recruits.
A query though, you've traditionally bemoaned the big 3 absorbing talented young players from other clubs within the league, is it ok now that Pacco is doing it? ;)

A fair response Turbo.
Those clubs have all had to rebuild under the current system, with many of the big ticket players having hung them up or headed elsewhere.
Pacco timed their run reasonably well in that sense with quite a few of their recruits now being considered 1 pointers, allowing greater flexibility for additional recruits.
A query though, you've traditionally bemoaned the big 3 absorbing talented young players from other clubs within the league, is it ok now that Pacco is doing it? ;)
Cheers mate. To my knowledge they didn’t scope other clubs or pillage clubs. However a few neighbouring clubs couldn’t sustain juniors and players then had to find other clubs so they just so happened to go to Pacco as it was reasonable close. Bit different however I do understand your point in that ultimately the major clubs still dominate juniors and the gap has widen whereas in the past you might have seen a Hillside, Westmeadows, West Coburg junior team in the div1 finals it’s not happening nowadays. These clubs have r*ped other clubs. Yes they might say kids went there by choice but let me tell you 95% of them didn’t just walk into these clubs without some contact from these clubs.
One example is Keilor winning the 16 div1 premiership under McGuane. The best player on GF day wasn’t a keilor junior. He went there this season from a neighbouring club. Where does it stop???
AFL Vic bring in a points system to even the competition. Has it worked in leveling it out. No it hasn’t. WHY don’t they look at the juniors and stop clubs from targeting young talent from other clubs. This might over time even it out somewhat..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back