EDFL Premier Discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
People can have their opinion on Marty Allison regarding whether he was the right person or not to coach Strathmore in 2023 - he still got them to a grand final.

He was offered the job because no one else wanted to do it.
That’s just wrong.

They had multiple applicants last year.

John Barker (ex afl coach at Carlton)
Dale May (West Coburg)
Tim Bongetti (East Keilor)
Nick Ash (Ass Coach)
Marty Allison (Experience)

Who could they have got to coach then? Were they in talks with anyone else?

Kevin Sheedy? Mick Malthouse? Denis Pagan?
So you’re telling me the 2022 EDFL premier division Premiership side had no applications to coach them in 2023?

Cmon man I am not buying that crap, no way.

People can have their opinion on Marty Allison regarding whether he was the right person or not to coach Strathmore in 2023 - he still got them to a grand final.

From what I had heard, he was offered the job because no one else wanted to do it.
I've only spoken to Marty a couple of times, seems like a good fella and know he's got a good junior squad coaching history , but I don't agree with the "he got them to a GF", it was the quality of playing list that got them to the GF.
Apart from Mick I'm not sure there are too many other coaches who have much of an influence(apart from ability to recruit) these days. Back in the day there were coaches who got the best out of teams , players would run through brick walls for the coach , that's pretty much obsolete these days.

Allison family has a long history at the club. Not sure they'll be too happy that Marty was only given 1 year
Sometimes you need to come to the real world though. My links to the players tell me that no one had an issues with the bloke, just coaching n training not good enough for the level.

So all the pieces of paper & experiences at other places are sweet but dont add up to successful senior coach. When the players really arent enjoyin being there ya cant ignore it. I no for fact players fairly early in season we’re really not keen on the coaching coz a family member was 1 of em

I've only spoken to Marty a couple of times, seems like a good fella and know he's got a good junior squad coaching history , but I don't agree with the "he got them to a GF", it was the quality of playing list that got them to the GF.
Apart from Mick I'm not sure there are too many other coaches who have much of an influence(apart from ability to recruit) these days. Back in the day there were coaches who got the best out of teams , players would run through brick walls for the coach , that's pretty much obsolete these days.
Yep. Few of their very best players all said the same. Coaching just not good enough. Shame if Marty or ppl are just Guna take it as a personal thing. Just sport. Take it and learn

Meanwhile theres possibly some better news coming for Strathmore with the rumoured signing for 2024 of a recent AFL delisting with 100+ games next two his name, across two clubs.

Meanwhile theres possibly some better news coming for Strathmore with the rumoured signing for 2024 of a recent AFL delisting with 100+ games next two his name, across two clubs.
So why would they go back to recruiting so called good footballers from AFL level . They have gallons of kids that can play and have proven that you dont necessarily need EX AFL mercenaries to win flags or even just play throughout the year and have a good club.
Theyve made that mistake endlessly.
How can a coach be appointed when you dont have a committee for 2024 yet . What happens if the incoming new committee want Marty. Plenty to play out here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So why would they go back to recruiting so called good footballers from AFL level . They have gallons of kids that can play and have proven that you dont necessarily need EX AFL mercenaries to win flags or even just play throughout the year and have a good club.
Theyve made that mistake endlessly.
How can a coach be appointed when you dont have a committee for 2024 yet . What happens if the incoming new committee want Marty. Plenty to play out here
Clubs always need to recruit to stay relevant. Your not always going produce what you need out of your juniors. So the likes of Jarad, O’brien, Vavra, Cavanagh,Egglestone end up at the club. The secret is to keep them once they are there

Clubs always need to recruit to stay relevant. Your not always going produce what you need out of your juniors. So the likes of Jarad, O’brien, Vavra, Cavanagh,Egglestone end up at the club. The secret is to keep them once they are there
Agree, however not one of the blokes you have mentioned is Ex AFL

Lachie Smart to East Keilor.

View attachment 1829384

SWOOPINGTIME
How long until he changes his mind like last year when he signed for Abers?

Interesting how he joins another Premier Div club when Deer Park are promoted to Premier. Heath Scotland must be having some involvement with EK in 2024 if Smarts gone there.

Young Kako returned to Northern Saints. Gee whiz premier to C grade footy. It’s great in one way his retiring to his junior club so got to love that, but thought he was a possibility to get drafted late.

Young Kako returned to Northern Saints. Gee whiz premier to C grade footy. It’s great in one way his retiring to his junior club so got to love that, but thought he was a possibility to get drafted late.
Recently played in the AFL Futures game on Grand Final day, astounded to think he’d be playing C Grade footy in 2024.

he’s projected to go somewhere in the first round. i doubt he’d be playing any games for them in 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back