EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean like APW, EK, Greenvale & Avondale?
It's pretty clear, they took the soft option.
Exactly right mate. But how does the league allow it?? You play in same division as your senior side full stop. Only exception if you request to play higher and challenge yourself as that way you are not at risk of losing your better kids to higher clubs. Some clubs just want to win premierships no matter what division. They take soft easy option and then expect others to feel sorry for them when there senior side is down the lower end. It’s no wonder they are with that mindset..

So I see Douttas 18s smashed Craigieburn today. Still bemused how the edfl allow this and if they happen to win the premiership it’s a huge joke..
It’s a joke Turbo. That Doutta side has some very talented kids running around and they are more than capable of playing premier 18’s aligned with their senior team for gods sake! They would beat the bottom 3-4 teams in premier 18’s easily. This crap from the EDFL needs to stop and premier clubs need to stop pushing there 18’s down a division especially when they are a decent side like this one.

No they wouldn't, maybe the top 3-4 sides would get a hold of them, but that would be it. Who cares! They would be far from the worst team in it. Would pump the bottom few sides. Play in Premier with your seniors!
When sanity prevailed in the EDFL back then it was a rule that to be in A Grade (now Premier Division), you had to have an under 18's in the same Division as your 1's and 2's. This made sense - fixture worked - no extra volunteers/trainers etc. required. This changed when a bleeding heart with some pull with the EDFL believed his poor 18's weren't successful.
The current set up in Premier is an embarrassment to the EDFL.

It’s a joke Turbo. That Doutta side has some very talented kids running around and they are more than capable of playing premier 18’s aligned with their senior team for gods sake! They would beat the bottom 3-4 teams in premier 18’s easily. This crap from the EDFL needs to stop and premier clubs need to stop pushing there 18’s down a division especially when they are a decent side like this one.
Yes mate. So they play a lot of 18s in seniors every week so they say there 18s (left over) are not up to playing premier. They just get by early on but then come the pointy end as the seniors are not in finals these kids drop back and play 18s finals. That’s just absolute BS. As I said and Douttas are a pretty big club in the scheme of this league so how does it happen? if they want to allow it then the rule should be they can’t play finals full stop!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes mate. So they play a lot of 18s in seniors every week so they say there 18s (left over) are not up to playing premier. They just get by early on but then come the pointy end as the seniors are not in finals these kids drop back and play 18s finals. That’s just absolute BS. As I said and Douttas are a pretty big club in the scheme of this league so how does it happen? if they want to allow it then the rule should be they can’t play finals full stop!!

They play a lot of 18's in seniors because they've got nothing else. Their 2's have been rubbish for years.

They play a lot of 18's in seniors because they've got nothing else. Their 2's have been rubbish for years.
happens a lot. junior sides get pampered and players not set up for open age football and when things become a fraction challenging young men stop or move to somewhere that will continue the nice easy feel of what they believe or have kbown footy is to look like. adult and parents unfortuntely far too focussed on the now and not the future.

Yep and they knew what they were doing and the league bowed down. Happens way too much.
Stop with the BS Turbo!
The EDFL made the decision and offered that spot to EDS in place of Marby Park. I posted at the start of the year that I disagreed with the decision and thought they should be in Premier, but you can’t just make up your own facts.

Well done to Coburg Districts yesterday, excellent effort to roll Hillside. If they can get things right with the Seniors I can see a brighter future for them.

Stop with the BS Turbo!
The EDFL made the decision and offered that spot to EDS in place of Marby Park. I posted at the start of the year that I disagreed with the decision and thought they should be in Premier, but you can’t just make up your own facts.

Well done to Coburg Districts yesterday, excellent effort to roll Hillside. If they can get things right with the Seniors I can see a brighter future for them.

Gremlin
It’s a complex issue…

Premier has 9 teams (1 x bye each round)

Div1 has 8 teams (no byes)

I suspect the league didn’t want to have a 7 team Div 1 competition (to align with a top 5 finals )

When teams don’t have an 18s like KP, RP, WC, DP etc it makes the fixturing near on impossible.

Perhaps a few solutions
1. Teams can only play up to ”test” themselves.
2. No teams can play down a division
3. Reduce player points for senior clubs that don’t have an 18s for two straight years, by 1pt per year (from 3rd year) capped at 4pts.
If this doesn’t encourage clubs to invest in their juniors then nothing will and we should become a senior only league!

4. Cap 18s teams to 1 per club, max 30/32 registered players allowed.
5. Encourage joint teams for purposes of increasing participation.
6. If none of the above is fit for purpose, the league should Be comfortable to have 6-7 team divisions and whatever the fallout is, well bad luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Stop with the BS Turbo!

If true why did they offer the spot to Douttas over say APW, Avondale and EK? When history says Douttas is a stronger club and had better juniors over say a 5 year period. Very strange to me and a lot of others.. As said if it’s to keep kids playing then make it they can’t participate in finals then.

Yes Districts to big and strong, body wise. Hillside was younger and it showed. Hillside has a good base to build next year though. Districts also played a much better brand of footy and you will notice the coach of districts has previously coached at senior level, so you could tell the difference. Clubs in this division probably need to look at coaching models to develop from below with $$ and points becoming a big headache. Maybe need to invest some $$ and get coaches good at developing players.
Well done to Districts for stepping up to play higher. Even if they lose this week ( think the top 3 are bit ahead of 4-5, with a gap to the rest) it’s still better long term than playing div2 and possibly winning a flag. Douttas the complete opposite 😄

Anyone notice the similar colours of Strathmore v East Keilor. Why doesn’t the league enforce all clubs to have an away strip? Finally implemented the pink runners too and less incidents but still some clubs in juniors wearing the yellow vest.

EK have an away strip but it was there home game I believe.

Gremlin
It’s a complex issue…

Premier has 9 teams (1 x bye each round)

Div1 has 8 teams (no byes)

I suspect the league didn’t want to have a 7 team Div 1 competition (to align with a top 5 finals )

When teams don’t have an 18s like KP, RP, WC, DP etc it makes the fixturing near on impossible.

Perhaps a few solutions
1. Teams can only play up to ”test” themselves.
2. No teams can play down a division
3. Reduce player points for senior clubs that don’t have an 18s for two straight years, by 1pt per year (from 3rd year) capped at 4pts.
If this doesn’t encourage clubs to invest in their juniors then nothing will and we should become a senior only league!

4. Cap 18s teams to 1 per club, max 30/32 registered players allowed.
5. Encourage joint teams for purposes of increasing participation.
6. If none of the above is fit for purpose, the league should Be comfortable to have 6-7 team divisions and whatever the fallout is, well bad luck!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Some good stuff here, would say that one of Keilor, Strathmore or Abers second under 18 team would have been fine in Div1 if not all three

Some good stuff here, would say that one of Keilor, Strathmore or Abers second under 18 team would have been fine in Div1 if not all three

It’s pretty crazy that Abers, Strathmore & Keilor all had there 2nd side play finals against a bunch of teams 1st team at U18 level.

The difference in quality coming through is just ridiculous

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Back