EDFL Premier Div 2018

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey horse, I’m a fan of the GV set up (well Nth Melb C.C) but the negatives are big issues:
-it’s to far outside the metro area
-no public transport
-Can get cold out there..

Not sure it’s a great oval for finals especially Grand Finals.

The idea of playing 2 finals on both grounds has merit though.

That would be great however is it worth the investment? If Essendon are intending to keep there VFL team there then some investment must be made to improve the ground.
it’s not ideal that you can’t watch from the far wing area and it’s not very spacious for the average supporter of young families..I’m told the bowling club will never move so that’s an issue.

Are you upsetting the locals again Turbo?

I agree with Sickofthecrap in relation to a final 5 having the possibility of mixing things up. I also agree with his sentiments in relation to salary cap and points.

Team of the year predictions any one?
I don’t have the best knowledge but usung what the EDFL posted on Facebook here is an attempt with some blanks where I don’t know enough about teams.

Josh Toy (Ab) Ryan Allan (Ab) ???(AB)

Luke Jarrod (S) ?? (PV) ?? (GV)

Okearny(K) Blackwell (Ab) Ross(PV)

Condon (S) Watson (PV) Caruso (GV)

Pound (Ab) Galea (K) Foster(Ab)

DeLuca (GV) K Barbuto (K) ??? (MP)

Iacobucci(S) Schroder (EDS)
Sheehan (AH) Cornell (MP)

Us blokes throwing up the same points year after year is doing nothing. For mine it’s a non argument. Players, including div 1 kids as young as 8-9 years old in
U/11 probably fantasise about hopefully getting on Windy Hill for a GF. It’s not only our headquarters, it’s our home. It’s our castle.
No I’m not Dennis Denuto.
Northern league use Preston.
All I hear from guys in that comp is it’s a shit venue, always windy.
Windy Hill is the pinnacle for our league, it’s the target for every player busting there ass through summer.
Just to clarify, it’s ok to hold VFL games there but not EDFL games.
Please!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Hey horse, I’m a fan of the GV set up (well Nth Melb C.C) but the negatives are big issues:
-it’s to far outside the metro area
-no public transport
-Can get cold out there..

Not sure it’s a great oval for finals especially Grand Finals.

The idea of playing 2 finals on both grounds has merit though.

That would be great however is it worth the investment? If Essendon are intending to keep there VFL team there then some investment must be made to improve the ground.
it’s not ideal that you can’t watch from the far wing area and it’s not very spacious for the average supporter of young families..I’m told the bowling club will never move so that’s an issue.
I agree that GV is too far out of the way. You look at all the GF's and you see a lot of teenagers making their way to the ground via public transport, so that takes Keilor out of it as well. Take that away and you loose the future. I personally don't mind WindyHill as a ground. I must agree the away change rooms need to be updated or moved I.e new ones built. You could make the old change room area a small bar, build an out doors drinking area by removing the seating in front. I agree, the far side of the ground is not usable for viewing the game, so build a big new scoreboard which is able to show replays. Upgrade the seating in the grandstands, improve the food area, build some new change rooms. Divide the old rooms into two, that way you could actually have four change rooms.

Last edited:
I agree that GV is too far out of the way. You look at all the GF's and you see a lot of teenagers making their way to the ground via public transport, so that takes Keilor out of it as well. Take that away and you loose the future. I personally don't mind WindyHill as a ground. I must agree the away change rooms need to be updated or moved I.e new ones built. You could make that are a small bar. Yes the far side of the ground is not usable for viewing the game, so build a big new scoreboard which is able to show replays. Upgrade the seating in the grandstands, improve the food area, build some new change rooms. Divide the old rooms into two, that way you could actually have four change rooms.

It’s suburban footy. The away rooms at Windy Hill are bigger than every clubs home rooms.
Teams walk through the crowd to get to there rooms 18 times a year during the season.

It’s suburban footy. The away rooms at Windy Hill are bigger than every clubs home rooms.
Teams walk through the crowd to get to there rooms 18 times a year during the season.

I am not arguing the fact players walk through the crowd. I and many others don't think they are suitable for change rooms.

I agree that GV is too far out of the way. You look at all the GF's and you see a lot of teenagers making their way to the ground via public transport, so that takes Keilor out of it as well. Take that away and you loose the future. I personally don't mind WindyHill as a ground. I must agree the away change rooms need to be updated or moved I.e new ones built. You could make the old change room area a small bar, build an out doors drinking area by removing the seating in front. I agree, the far side of the ground is not usable for viewing the game, so build a big new scoreboard which is able to show replays. Upgrade the seating in the grandstands, improve the food area, build some new change rooms. Divide the old rooms into two, that way you could actually have four change rooms.
All good points, however due to EFC holdIng the agreement to Windy Hill with MVCC it is EFC responsibility to maintain and improve facilities.

All good points, however due to EFC holdIng the agreement to Windy Hill with MVCC it is EFC responsibility to maintain and improve facilities.
Lease expires soon. MVCC already looking at what they can do with windy hill when they do. EDFL need to get in the front foot and start planning

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team of the year predictions any one?
I don’t have the best knowledge but usung what the EDFL posted on Facebook here is an attempt with some blanks where I don’t know enough about teams.

Josh Toy (Ab) Ryan Allan (Ab) ???(AB)

Luke Jarrod (S) ?? (PV) ?? (GV)

Okearny(K) Blackwell (Ab) Ross(PV)

Condon (S) Watson (PV) Caruso (GV)

Pound (Ab) Galea (K) Foster(Ab)

DeLuca (GV) K Barbuto (K) ??? (MP)

Iacobucci(S) Schroder (EDS)
Sheehan (AH) Cornell (MP)
Toy Allen Davis
Jarrad foster zumbo
okernery Blackwell Ross
Condon Watson fort
Pound galea foster
Deluca barbuto martinello
O’Brien Schroder Sheehan keogh

Hey mate, easy public transport to Keilors ground and it’s not far from Essendon. Also with the pub being close and shopping strip it’s ideal as it’s a safe area.

Really like your thinking on improving facilities at Windy Hill.

That’s true Route but it is a VFL ground not a surburban club, and Essendon are supposed to be a strong club so I would guess they will need to invest in getting the ground into better nick. Or are they looking to play VFL games at the training venue in the future? Maybe they will invest there instead of Windy Hill. They should have better conditions for VFL. Look at other clubs and other than Coburg there’s is pretty bad.

What’s wrong with the away rooms??

There not ideal. Let’s face it Essendon have the $$ and EDFL have some $$ so let’s do it up..

JohnDoe, I think you need to put your glasses on buddy.

Where is it that I said Abers wasn’t a well run club at senior level or Keilor wasn’t well managed..However I don’t like how they go about parts of there junior program with a win at all costs attitude.

Also my comment was around the points allocated to div1 and div2. Think 48 points for premier is fair.

I agree some clubs make mistakes but the quicker you move on and make necessary changes the better. I don’t have an issue with players being paid well (within reason) as long as they give there all and perform just like a normal 9-5 job.

Surely you didn’t think the GF was very exciting or attractive for the neutral supporter. It was sh&& to watch..
The points system when introduced favoured certain clubs and it will take another 4-5 years before we see any other club play off in a GF. The EDFL isn’t like some other leagues as a lot of clubs are in close proximity to each other.
Also I did notice a sly comment regarding PV but what did you think of Abers and others a few years back spending close to 500k on players and offering ridiculous amounts of money to players. Up to 1k per week over there market rate. It was a bloody joke to see clubs who talk about there great junior programs recruit players on huge coin. Clubs like these really stuffed local footy. Clubs like PV are trying to stay competitive in today’s market.

Turbs, i was responding to the fact you were lamenting the same sides competing in the big dance year after year. Lets' face it, Abers had underachieved for years on end and could well have been relegated 8 or 9 years ago. They have finally got it all together and are reaping the rewards. Isn't it up to other clubs to get to that level rather than sooking it up?

I actually wasn't having a crack at Paco - it was a comment directed at your constant bagging of the league and how uncompetitive you perceive it to be. I see it completely differently. It's not like Abers are dominating H&A season and are unbeatable anymore. It could have been any team but doesn't it show how competitive the league is when a side with Paco's list misses a finals berth, same could be said for Marby who were sitting on top after round 13 or 14 and missed finals altogether. We haven't had a more even comp at the top end. Avondale would have spent the cap this year with Armfield, Clouston, Sheehan, Harding and Wood as players with AFL experience on their list and they won 4 or 5 games. And again, when was the last time a side that was 2nd bottom beat the 2nd team in a round 18 game with so much on the line for both sides???

I agree Windy Hill isn't a great place to watch footy, for most of the finals series it was near impossible to kick goals at the Napier Street end but in all seriousness what's the alternative?

Turbs, i was responding to the fact you were lamenting the same sides competing in the big dance year after year. Lets' face it, Abers had underachieved for years on end and could well have been relegated 8 or 9 years ago. They have finally got it all together and are reaping the rewards. Isn't it up to other clubs to get to that level rather than sooking it up?

I actually wasn't having a crack at Paco - it was a comment directed at your constant bagging of the league and how uncompetitive you perceive it to be. I see it completely differently. It's not like Abers are dominating H&A season and are unbeatable anymore. It could have been any team but doesn't it show how competitive the league is when a side with Paco's list misses a finals berth, same could be said for Marby who were sitting on top after round 13 or 14 and missed finals altogether. We haven't had a more even comp at the top end. Avondale would have spent the cap this year with Armfield, Clouston, Sheehan, Harding and Wood as players with AFL experience on their list and they won 4 or 5 games. And again, when was the last time a side that was 2nd bottom beat the 2nd team in a round 18 game with so much on the line for both sides???

I agree Windy Hill isn't a great place to watch footy, for most of the finals series it was near impossible to kick goals at the Napier Street end but in all seriousness what's the alternative?

All good JD. I’m not disputing that and good on Abers, just think the neutral supporter is tired of seeing the same teams in the finals as who really cares who wins. Bit like the AFL when everyone jumped on the Dogs bandwagon in 2016 and this year people are happy to see Melb up and about. From a league’s prospective they also want to see other teams competing for the premiership cup. That was my point. It’s like Deer Park going for 6 in a row. Surely most footy followers don’t give a crap about the GF as it’s just not exciting.
Even as a player I would rather them go to a team outside this group and try and lift them up as it’s something you will remember forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back