EDFL Premier Division 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely if you leave you junior club to play else where then come back you aren't a 1 pointer. That should only apply to players who play AFL, VFL or TAC.
Example would be kovac, surely he should be on 2-3 points because EDS will be 3 clubs in 3 years.
I guess that it'll be something that gets worked out along the way. Keeping in mind that the rules are designed to cover all leagues, so if a kid from say Albury moves to Melbourne for school or work opportunities, has a kick in the EDFL while in Melbourne but has every intent to head back to his junior club in a couple of years, I'm not sure that he's any less worthy of a low points tally than someone playing in Williamstown reserves (for examples sake) for a year or two.
Blokes like Kovac will limit themselves to their junior club as they'll otherwise attract a similar points total to a marquee signing.

Douttas chance for Finals

Hey Mick, I can't see them playing finals but it's a credit to them for recruiting well and having a crack. They are a premier club IMO.

When was the last time a club came up to premier and played finals? I know Pascoe Vale had a good year in 2012 following promotion under coach Morgan. But the last few games fell short but were hovering around the top 4 for majority of that year. I do stand to be corrected on this, as I've had a few frothies tonight!!

I guess that it'll be something that gets worked out along the way. Keeping in mind that the rules are designed to cover all leagues, so if a kid from say Albury moves to Melbourne for school or work opportunities, has a kick in the EDFL while in Melbourne but has every intent to head back to his junior club in a couple of years, I'm not sure that he's any less worthy of a low points tally than someone playing in Williamstown reserves (for examples sake) for a year or two.
Blokes like Kovac will limit themselves to their junior club as they'll otherwise attract a similar points total to a marquee signing.

Good point you have made BJ.

But on Kovac he left his junior club for another rival club in the same league so does that show his character? I'm guessing after being at 2 rival premier clubs his options might be limited, so heading home with his tail between his legs..

Airport West played in a preliminary final in 2013 after winning B Grade in 2012.
Your right mate, but then what happened?

Contessa, Harris and the likes got Airport West moving along nicely back then.
Then the mass exodus to Pascoe Vale

Good point you have made BJ.

But on Kovac he left his junior club for another rival club in the same league so does that show his character? I'm guessing after being at 2 rival premier clubs his options might be limited, so heading home with his tail between his legs..
Yeah mate, I'm not a fan of blokes switching between clubs within the same comp either.
Thankfully the points accrued by jumping ship every other year should bring an end to that sort of thing.

Eds also get Calder cannons best and fairest Bruno Laguda back as a 1 point player!

Still can't believe there wasn't more interest for this gun around draft time. Hopefully he gets a look at next year.

Eds also get Calder cannons best and fairest Bruno Laguda back as a 1 point player!

Don't know the kid but really like when good young kids return to their home club but more so because his playing in a quality competition like premier. Well done Bruno & EDS. Hate seeing good talent running around in the lower divisions but if there club goes up they should try and head home..

They've signed some handy players and in long run the points system will help them as they have a lot of talented junior products floating around. Where is Morris playing these days? He is an awesome player

Who are their dangerous tall forwards? And ruck is an area that a few have highlighted as a potential issue

I reckon they will finish between 7th and 5th with excitement of promotion and good recruitment, coach with AFL experience etc

Here is my ladder

Rillaz
Strathmore
Greenvale
Keilor
Pacco
Avondale
Douttas
Marby
West Coburg
APW

Don't know the kid but really like when good young kids return to their home club but more so because his playing in a quality competition like premier. Well done Bruno & EDS. Hate seeing good talent running around in the lower divisions but if there club goes up they should try and head home..
Surely if a gun kid decides to stick with their junior club and tries to bring them success rather than chasing the almighty dollar it is to be applauded?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Your right mate, but then what happened?

Contessa, Harris and the likes got Airport West moving along nicely back then.
Then the mass exodus to Pascoe Vale
Airport West played in a preliminary final in 2013 after winning B Grade in 2012.

EDS won A grade flag in 99 after winning B grade in 98. Only club ever to do it I believe ?

Steve vocale young bloke been to every session at eds. Thoughts mel you've seen more of him than me.
won the haddy b&f this year.... Club would obviously be disappointed to lose him

Another quality player who just doesn't get the breaks some others might. Wouldn't be out of place in Div 1.

Surely if a gun kid decides to stick with their junior club and tries to bring them success rather than chasing the almighty dollar it is to be applauded?

Hey BJ, you are getting me revved up. I didn't say anything chasing the almighty dollar but good quality younger players should play the best standard they can play. Seriously a good player out of the cannons is wasting there time playing div1 footy. But his going to his club in EDS so that's great.
Yes help them out for a year maybe but that it.

Still can't believe there wasn't more interest for this gun around draft time. Hopefully he gets a look at next year.
That is a big call. I reckon there was at least half a dozen players that should get looked at ahead of him in the draft. But then again if he only plays for EDS then you could almost kiss away the chance of being looked at

Hey BJ, you are getting me revved up. I didn't say anything chasing the almighty dollar but good quality younger players should play the best standard they can play. Seriously a good player out of the cannons is wasting there time playing div1 footy. But his going to his club in EDS so that's great.
Were the Caruso boys 'wasting their time at North Coburg when they signed.

That is a big call. I reckon there was at least half a dozen players that should get looked at ahead of him in the draft. But then again if he only plays for EDS then you could almost kiss away the chance of being looked at

I didn't think it was that big a call after watching him play for a long time. He's at Essendon VFL so hopefully he gets a gig there.

Were the Caruso boys 'wasting their time at North Coburg when they signed.
Clearly not won the club a flag

As I said if "good" players should play at the highest level they can. However I think it's great they go to their home club but if that in the lower division you stay for 1 or 2 years max, to help them out but sooner or later you must challenge yourself.
In this example of a young player out of the cannons won't get looked at by either an afl or VFL club if his playing div1 or lower. So let's get serious here if you go well in premier you would get opportunities.

You're getting revved over that?
If not for the $$$ there's even less reason to go play for another local club that they inevitably have minimal ties to.
If they aren't giving VFL a crack, I think club loyalty should take precedence over playing at top grade club.

You're getting revved over that?
If not for the $$$ there's even less reason to go play for another local club that they inevitably have minimal ties to.
If they aren't giving VFL a crack, I think club loyalty should take precedence over playing at top grade club.

I'm all for club loyalty but I suppose it comes down to your age as well. If your been there, done that well in your last 3-4 years of footy to head home and play a lesser standard but if your young playing in the lower divisions is not very challenging most weeks, and then there's the off field stuff that goes on around most leagues but usually the top division is more respectful of quality..
Its the same reason If you compare WRFL to EDFL. The standard of WRFL is no where like EDFL and some clubs cannot control the off field stuff that really annoys me. I respect "most" players playing footy.

Let me use an example if I could without mentioning names. The captain of AH is a bloody pain in the arse. Always stirring things up and very cheeky player, but geez you would love to have him in your team. Burrows in at every contest, and gives you his all. Then always comes in the rooms for a few beer. Not a dirty player at all but always in your face and even takes on the big boys. Yes most clubs have one, but as long as it's within the rules it's fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

EDFL Premier Division 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Back